• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft sucks at Photoshop, or how Poland is not ready for black people yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

Am I the only one who is disturbed by the shit grin of all these poeple? Who is every this happy during a bsiness meeting? WHOOOO?

Treo360

canova said:
So I assume you're Polish and speak Polska?

I stayed in Sheraton Warsaw for 6 months. I was in contract with IBM Poland & PZU SA, the largest insurance company in Central Europe, partly owned by the Polish government. I went to visit Krakow, Poznan and Gdanks. I had wonderful time in Poland. For me the only obstacle is the language barrier. If I go outside hotels or major tourists spots, hardly anybody speaks decent English.

The recent I say that they're humble is that I got the impression that they're aware that they have to play catch up with the Western European countries, so they worked hard. Also they despise what the Soviet did more than what the Nazi did to them.

I'm American of Polish/P.R. heritage. My Polish is passable (well enough to get me laid :p) It helps to have a Polish wife to teach you every day too

Lebron

Xater said:
Am I the only one who is disturbed by the shit grin of all these poeple? Who is every this happy during a bsiness meeting? WHOOOO?
I would be if I was making over six figures. I don't care what the hell they were talking about, I would just be thinking about that check and smiling :D

minus_273

Banned
having actually spent time in poland, there are almost no people who are not white. Even when i was in a place like krakow, i was always the only non-white person around. I am completely not surprised.

jmdajr

Microsoft has apologized for changing the race of a person posing in a marketing photo.

CNet yesterday reported that Microsoft had edited what appeared to be a stock photo of three business people for its Polish site. While the original, untouched version appears on the US website and shows an Asian man, a white woman and a black man; an edited version of the same photo appears on the Polish website and shows a white man's head on the black man's body. The black hand resting on the table remains unchanged.

When asked for comment, a Microsoft spokesperson told CNet that the company was looking into details of the situation and apologized, adding that the image had been pulled from the Polish site.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
So Microsoft is publicly apologizing? They admit they've shot themselves in the foot?

Damn, I thought this was a photoshop joke in that other thread but they really F'd up :lol

Xater said:

I'd smile like that too if I was earning 6 figures :D

jmdajr said:
Microsoft has apologized for changing the race of a person posing in a marketing photo.

CNet yesterday reported that Microsoft had edited what appeared to be a stock photo of three business people for its Polish site. While the original, untouched version appears on the US website and shows an Asian man, a white woman and a black man; an edited version of the same photo appears on the Polish website and shows a white man's head on the black man's body. The black hand resting on the table remains unchanged.

When asked for comment, a Microsoft spokesperson told CNet that the company was looking into details of the situation and apologized, adding that the image had been pulled from the Polish site.

:lol Oh, Microsoft.

I used to work as a Microsoft vendor doing their tradeshows and such. So I got access to their internal image and logo library. These images are ALL OVER THE PLACE. Heads swapped, bodies swapped, you name it. Sometimes, you can tell they've just reshot the photo with different people, other times, there's some pretty obvious Photoshop work going on, although you wouldn't necessarily notice unless you saw the two images side by side, like in this case.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I haven't read this topic, so this might be well-word territory, but...

I don't really see this as racist so much as I see it as an example of MS paying a lot of detail to regional demographics.

I wouldn't expect a Microsoft division in Japan to feature a bunch of white people around a conference table.

Is the % of black people lower in Poland than in the US?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
GDJustin said:

I don't really see this as racist so much as I see it as an example of MS paying a lot of detail to regional demographics.

I wouldn't expect a Microsoft division in Japan to feature a bunch of white people around a conference table.

is there a large asian population in Poland?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
GDJustin said:

So it's okay to whiteout a black man?

PSGames

What's the difference between photoshopping him out or just taking a new picture with new actors? Calling this racist is ridiculous.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
mckmas8808 said:

I don't see the photoshop as any more/less racially sensitive than snapping a new pic, with models of other races. Which every company does all the time, and no one has a problem with.

2q19apg.jpg

MG216

Neo Member
mckmas8808 said:

It is an advertisement, who cares what race the person changed was? Would you care if the white guy had been changed? These things are done all the time by marketing divisions.

Sorry to be a debby downer, but this is one gaf photoshop thread that I don't find funny. It's just a bunch of random faces (from other memes) pasted on the MS ad...? It feels like I'm missing something.

Souldriver said:
Sorry to be a debby downer, but this is one gaf photoshop thread that I don't find funny. It's just a bunch of random faces (from other memes) pasted on the MS ad...? It feels like I'm missing something.

A sense of humor...

szaromir

Banned
minus_273 said:
having actually spent time in poland, there are almost no people who are not white. Even when i was in a place like krakow, i was always the only non-white person around. I am completely not surprised.
Everything signs to the fact that you were not in Gorzow Wlkp.

CassSept

So as someone from Poland, a couple of points
- Yes, there are virtually no black people living here. This is, well, simply truth, deal with it
- Racism... well, this is a complicated matter. Sure, nobody has anything against racist jokes, that's true. But most of people (especially the younger) don't really take it as seriously as it's taken in, for example, USA. They are mostly indifferent, especially my generation sees them as normal people, not some worse breed or anything.
- Emigrants... well, most of them are uneducated people, who try to find any work they can to earn for living. Usually they don't know english, they just can't find any work here so they go to, most of the time, UK or Ireland. What most people encounter are in reality, ummm, "lower/working class". They don't have job, so they hope they will find better life in other countries. Most poles you've known or encountered probably don't really represent our society. A lot of people are ashamed, because they really bring bad reputation for Poland
- Yes, there is a lot of vietnamese immigrants here, but they are usually looked down upon, for the same reasons as we are in western countries, they come here seeking for any job, usually they are selling pirated CDs or cheap clothes on marketplace, so they don't have good reputation here
- Yes, we have nice girls :p

I could go on and on but still, neither do I or anyone other I know get why MS did it @_@

SmokyDave

jmdajr said:

This makes me fucking sick. Wake me up when the world stops ignoring proportional representation. How MS market it's products to various demographics is their business and not the affairs of snivveling PC dimwits. If this had been changed from a white woman to a white man, we'd never have heard about it.

Davidion

SmokyDave said:
This makes me fucking sick. Wake me up when the world stops ignoring proportional representation. How MS market it's products to various demographics is their business and not the affairs of snivveling PC dimwits. If this had been changed from a white woman to a white man, we'd never have heard about it.

What about Mac dimwits?

FuturusX

SmokyDave said:

You're missing the point. Breath in and take a deep breath. Rest assured discriminatory practices in business and marketing will remain protected.

The story here is how ridiculously amateur the attempt was, especially given the fact that so many other options where available...Like say, using a different photograph.

Souldriver said:
Nah you're pretty much right. This thread is awful.

Prez

twinturbo2 said:
I lost control of my bodily functions after seeing this one. :lol

Yeah, but it's the worst Paint shop ever :lol

Does anyone have the original picture of that cat? I want to make a better one. I had to use the one in the Garfield photoshop.

Mikey Jr.

CassSept said:
- Yes, there are virtually no black people living here. This is, well, simply truth, deal with it

I could go on and on but still, neither do I or anyone other I know get why MS did it @_@

Thank you for backing my point. The first one atleast. Second one I totally agree with. I'm not racist or anything, but I love white girls and me being Polish, Poland is like Nirvana for me, haha.

spwolf

minus_273 said:

i dont see what is the issue - not many black people live in Poland, they tried to adjust the ad to the market.

I know that when i see ads on tv for instance that are obviously not meant for our market (Croatia/Bosnia) but just voiced over, i think less of the product and company behind it.

It would be like trying to sell pampers in Ethiopia and using asian baby for the ad. It just looks as if you are not trying hard enough. It has nothing to do with race, as we dont really have background with it and you know, it is not our fault that so many western countries have had racial issues in the past.

and yes, everyone in eastern europe stares at everyone that is not white :lol . It is just unusual. Just like when my buddy went to Japan (some educational progam) and visited some school, kids were all awed and called him "giant" :lol

Treo360

CassSept said:
- Racism... well, this is a complicated matter. Sure, nobody has anything against racist jokes, that's true. But most of people (especially the younger) don't really take it as seriously as it's taken in, for example, USA. They are mostly indifferent, especially my generation sees them as normal people, not some worse breed or anything.
- Emigrants... well, most of them are uneducated people, who try to find any work they can to earn for living. Usually they don't know english, they just can't find any work here so they go to, most of the time, UK or Ireland. What most people encounter are in reality, ummm, "lower/working class". They don't have job, so they hope they will find better life in other countries. Most poles you've known or encountered probably don't really represent our society. A lot of people are ashamed, because they really bring bad reputation for Poland
- Yes, there is a lot of vietnamese immigrants here, but they are usually looked down upon, for the same reasons as we are in western countries, they come here seeking for any job, usually they are selling pirated CDs or cheap clothes on marketplace, so they don't have good reputation here

Agree with you on everything
1st bolded: you forgot the little food stands that they put up.

2nd Bold: I without question no need for the ":p" (provided you stay away from the villages :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom