• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 announced: "better in nearly every way" (The Verge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dock

Can any recommend drawing apps, either paid or free?
As this is for my sister I'd love to give her a list. She already likes to draw on a standard drawing tablet connect to her PC, but this would be the first time she would be drawing on the screen directly.
Any help would be appreciated.

I'm going to recommend Clip Studio Paint only. I've had my Surface Pro 4 for 12 months and I've stopped using Sai and Photoshop entirely. It also has the best touchscreen support of all the apps imo, and works amazingly even without a kb, and copes with minimal RAM usage and doesn't fire up the fan much either.

Btw they tend to have a 70% off sale for one week every three months, so keep an eye out.
http://www.clipstudio.net/en/purchase

How is the m3? Looking for my niece. She's not a fan of her hand me down Toshiba with a 2014 i5.

She's only 15 and not techy but her main thing is battery life. Seeing as she's used to Windows, Apple or bust hasn't applied to her yet.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Clip Paint Studio (formerly Manga Studio)
Mischief
Sketchbook (there is a free version)
Sketchable (also has a free version but it's very limited)
and of course Photoshop

I'm going to recommend Clip Studio Paint only. I've had my Surface Pro 4 for 12 months and I've stopped using Sai and Photoshop entirely. It also has the best touchscreen support of all the apps imo, and works amazingly even without a kb, and copes with minimal RAM usage and doesn't fire up the fan much either.

Btw they tend to have a 70% off sale for one week every three months, so keep an eye out.

Really appreciate the info. This really helps.

So the base Surface Pro 4 (128GB storage, 4GB RAM, Core m3) is on sale at Best Buy for $599, keyboard included.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microso...-with-keyboard-silver/5624784.p?skuId=5624784

Pretty great deal.

Welp, looks like I'm returning the previous one I bought and getting this bundle.
This includes the keyboard which I needed to get anyway. And it seems to be the premium priced keyboard version.

dLMN8R

My wife has the M3 version of the SP4 and she loves it. When I've used it, it's plenty fast enough for web browsing and other general activities, and for that price it's an amazing deal.

Futureman

How is the m3? Looking for my niece. She's not a fan of her hand me down Toshiba with a 2014 i5.

She's only 15 and not techy but her main thing is battery life. Seeing as she's used to Windows, Apple or bust hasn't applied to her yet.

Battery life is IMO the most average thing about the SP4 (I have the m3 version, not sure if the others are different).

I only get about 3 hours when I'm running between 50-75% brightness mainly having Photoshop and Chrome open.

Otherwise this computer is soooo good.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So the base Surface Pro 4 (128GB storage, 4GB RAM, Core m3) is on sale at Best Buy for $599, keyboard included.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microso...-with-keyboard-silver/5624784.p?skuId=5624784

Pretty great deal.

Wait a minute. No pen included with this bundle.
They basically swapped the keyboard for the pen.

So no need for me to swap then since I paid $549 and have to pay $100+ for the keyboard. Total is ~$649.

This is $599 + $60 for the pen, so about the same price.
EDIT: actually the pen drops to $40 in cart. Hmm, slight savings over all. Plus it is the "premium" cover version.

ryan299

I was looking at the new Asus Transformer 3 Pro and there's an external gpu that you can plug it into to play more intense games and VR it says. Is that possible with the pro 4?

dock

Battery life is pretty poor, tbh! I would recommend against this.

I wouldn't recommend the Surface Pro unless the touchscreen was important, and I'd focus on the MacBook Air clones from Dell and such.

Battery life is one of two reasons why I'd never recommend the Surface Pro to anyone who's looking for a tablet. It's just bad. My 4 year old iPad 4, with its dying battery, manages to get better battery life that my SP4.

Windows 10 would be the other reason.

It's a great device, I really like it and don't regret my purchase. But it's not a good tablet or consumption device.

dock

The on screen keyboard for windows 10 is absolute joke in comparison to the experience you get with an ipad or similar. often I can't see what I'm typing because the keyboard is covering the input area.

It's a bad 'tablet', but it's a fine laptop with removable keyboard.

The on screen keyboard for windows 10 is absolute joke in comparison to the experience you get with an ipad or similar. often I can't see what I'm typing because the keyboard is covering the input area.

It's a bad 'tablet', but it's a fine laptop with removable keyboard.

It also has the worst "auto correction" in the world. And in some completely niche site that no one uses like Facebook it behaves even worse XD

I can't understand how ms can drop the ball so badly on that keyboard XD

It also has the worst "auto correction" in the world. And in some completely niche site that no one uses like Facebook it behaves even worse XD

I can't understand how ms can drop the ball so badly on that keyboard XD

ESPECIALLY after laying the groundwork with the Windows Phone 7 keyboard.

Absolutely infuriating.

SteveWD40

My battery life has been alright on the M3, I get around 7 hours, of course it all depends on your usage. The screen is so good I am almost never over 50% brightness.

It's not the best as a tablet no, but combined with my 7Plus, I feel I get the best of both worlds without needing a dedicated iPad style tablet.

Futureman

this is all I've had my my SP4 for the past 30 minutes... seemingly no way to get out of it but wait til the battery dies??

2kTj5YGh.jpg

also what's with all the icons on the desktop and the start bar just disappearing very briefly? It's like it's refreshing or something? Anyone else experience this... Surface or Windows issue? I was at the library today and it I was having trouble connecting to the WIFI. It seems like it may have been related to that, but I'm not sure.

spwolf

also what's with all the icons on the desktop and the start bar just disappearing very briefly? It's like it's refreshing or something? Anyone else experience this... Surface or Windows issue? I was at the library today and it I was having trouble connecting to the WIFI. It seems like it may have been related to that, but I'm not sure.

explorer.exe restarting, maybe some software installation?

Harpocrates

Neo Member
this is all I've had my my SP4 for the past 30 minutes... seemingly no way to get out of it but wait til the battery dies??

Try a two button shutdown:

Use this two-button shutdown process to ensure that your Surface is turned off completely. Here’s how:

Step 1: Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds and then release it.
Step 2: Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds and then release both.
The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
Step 3: After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.
Step 4: Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on.

From: https://www.microsoft.com/surface/e...n-or-wake-from-sleep?os=windows-10&=undefined

Futureman

as far as I know no software installing... unless the library Wifi network was trying to install something??

Thanks Harpocrates. That fixed it for me.

Raguel

What case/cover/bag do you guys have for your pro 4?

Also, do you guys use a screen protector for it? I've heard differing opinions on having a screen protector and i do not want it to affect the pen sensitivity. Thoughts please.

Futureman

whenever I open a folder in Windows on my Surface it opens up in a new window. I have "Open each folder in the same window" checked.

what am I doing wrong?

Polarburr

hey guys. considering in getting the SP4 128gb i5 4gb RAM. Replacing my mid-2012 rMBPro for it.

Would just like to get your opinions if this model is enough for how I plan to use it.

-I mainly just have utorrent, chrome and spotify open at the same time at most. But on most cases, it'll just be Chrome with 4-8 browsers.

-I don't do any editing. No Photoshop needed or any of those visual/music editor apps or whatnot.

- Never been a PC gamer. But I'll probably just have Sims 4 installed. But I doubt I'll be running Sims WHILE having Chrome, Spotify, etc open at the same time.

Will it be enough for me? If not, then I'm considering in getting the base model of the Surface Book. But really preferring the Pro due to its size.

WillyFive

hey guys. considering in getting the SP4 128gb i5 4gb RAM. Replacing my mid-2012 rMBPro for it.

Would just like to get your opinions if this model is enough for how I plan to use it.

-I mainly just have utorrent, chrome and spotify open at the same time at most. But on most cases, it'll just be Chrome with 4-8 browsers.

-I don't do any editing. No Photoshop needed or any of those visual/music editor apps or whatnot.

- Never been a PC gamer. But I'll probably just have Sims 4 installed. But I doubt I'll be running Sims WHILE having Chrome, Spotify, etc open at the same time.

Will it be enough for me? If not, then I'm considering in getting the base model of the Surface Book. But really preferring the Pro due to its size.

A $200 HP laptop will do what you want without issues. You'll be just fine with the SP4.

danthefan

The 8gb, i5 version appears to be going on sale with the keyboard for $999 from Thursday, on the MS store. Think I'll jump on that.

Futureman

True. But I like how the SP4 looks. Haha.

Alright cool. :) Thanks!

Just to get the question out of my head.. 8gb of ram are more for people who do editing and game right?

I do a lot more with my m3 4 GB RAM SP4 then you list above and I have nothing but positive experience. Only thing I'm down on with the Surface is OK battery life and Windows 10 still feeling a bit unpolished compared to macOS.

Could you give me a quick run down of what you use it for? Never heard of it.
I use it for pencilling, inking and all storyboarding.

You can get rag doll models, change their dimensions and figure, angle, the lighting on them etc and manipulate them how you want for reference.

danthefan

I use it for pencilling, inking and all storyboarding.

You can get rag doll models, change their dimensions and figure, angle, the lighting on them etc and manipulate them how you want for reference.

I'm a total newbie to art, animating etc, are there any tutorials available? Definitely something I'd be interested in.

I bought the SP4 i5 8GB version anyway, really excited to get it.

I'm a total newbie to art, animating etc, are there any tutorials available? Definitely something I'd be interested in.

I bought the SP4 i5 8GB version anyway, really excited to get it.
Honestly, I find the tutorials to be a fucking mess. It took me a few days of messing around with the program for me to comfortably work end to end in it, but if you've used Photoshop or any other layering program, it's pretty familiar territory.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Cosigned.

If I get a surface studio it will basically take over my life.

Speaking of clip studio paint. Are there more character models released outside of th five or so the program comes with? Or even more backgrounds?

I tried downloading the demo of Clip Studio Paint Pro to see if I should pick it up, but I'm having nothing but problems on my Surface Pro 3. Each time I start it up I get this interminable "preparing for the first time to use" bar. Then when I want to open a new document, nothing comes up. Any ideas what's wrong here?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I tried downloading the demo of Clip Studio Paint Pro to see if I should pick it up, but I'm having nothing but problems on my Surface Pro 3. Each time I start it up I get this interminable "preparing for the first time to use" bar. Then when I want to open a new document, nothing comes up. Any ideas what's wrong here?

Sounds like their authentication server, but an uninstall, reboot, reinstall cycle might be worth it.

dock

Could you give me a quick run down of what you use it for? Never heard of it.

PNvakal.png

Some of my Clip Studio Paint artwork I've done this year on my 4GB SP4. This is the first year I've done a decent amount of artwork in a long time, and a large part of that is how well Clip Studio Paint works even without a keyboard attached. You can use the second button as a colour picker, and the customisable UI is a joy to use.

I use Frenden's Natural Dry Media brushes for most of my work.

Bumhead

Banned
There's an i5 Type Cover bundle available in the UK (PC World) for £699.

So tempted. I don't think I NEED one of these but I'm sure as hell tempted.

Ianan

Does anyone here use the M3 version with Microsoft Visual Studio and Unreal Engine 4 / Unity 5? I'm thinking about picking it up but those 3 applications will be my main use and not sure the 4GB's of RAM will be enough.

danthefan

<snip>

Some of my Clip Studio Paint artwork I've done this year on my 4GB SP4. This is the first year I've done a decent amount of artwork in a long time, and a large part of that is how well Clip Studio Paint works even without a keyboard attached. You can use the second button as a colour picker, and the customisable UI is a joy to use.

I use Frenden's Natural Dry Media brushes for most of my work.

Very impressive, well done!

There's two versions of the thing on sale, Pro and Ex, I assume there's a big difference between them given the price differential?

segasonic

Battery life is IMO the most average thing about the SP4 (I have the m3 version, not sure if the others are different).

I only get about 3 hours when I'm running between 50-75% brightness mainly having Photoshop and Chrome open.

Otherwise this computer is soooo good.
3 hours isn't average. It's bad.

There's an i5 Type Cover bundle available in the UK (PC World) for £699.

So tempted. I don't think I NEED one of these but I'm sure as hell tempted.

I've got the same bundle ordered from the MS Store, but its been stuck at processing since Thursday. I'm tempted to just cancel it, and click and collect from the PC World that's literally 2 minutes from my flat, but there's no easy way to cancel my current order...

dock

There's two versions of the thing on sale, Pro and Ex, I assume there's a big difference between them given the price differential?
Thanks! Most of the functions from the expensive version is for comic making, I don't tend to use them. If you like the software you can always upgrade in 3-6 months when they next have a sale. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom