• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft teases for E3 with countdown: "And it's on..."

Reiko

Banned
How many of you people crying about 720p and 30fps were around for the ps1 nevermind anything older? What's worse: 720p or the Mass Effect 3 ending?

The framerate was terrible for PS1 games.

I was spoiled by SEGA's Model 2 hardware in the arcades.

IHaveIce

Banned
It was perfect for me. No drops in single player at all, only a few drops on huge multiplayer maps.

Huh? I experienced slowdown probably once in the whole game.

It's not perfect, but I wouldn't be all hyperbolic and call it shit unless your talking about split screen exclusively.

I've experienced serious slowdown once in the campaign, maybe one more time but only a blip of it then. And I think once in matchmaking across my ~500 matchmaking games.

Filed under: Things that never happened

Did you guys played the new DLC maps? Almost every match on Shatter or Wreckdown has huge drops.

Splitscreen is almost unplayable for me most of the times.

Solo campaign is decent.

edit: or playing dominion, damn almost every game goes to utter shit.

quickwhips

Did you guys played the new DLC maps? Almost every match on Shatter or Wreckdown has huge drops.

Splitscreen is almost unplayable for me most of the times.

Solo campaign is decent.

edit: or playing dominion, damn almost every game goes to utter shit.
Try clearing your cache or your xbox is dying sorry to tell you. I don't have these problems so its not the game its more likely something on your console. I'm not saying its not happening just trying to help you fix the problem.

IHaveIce

Banned
Try clearing your cache or your xbox is dying sorry to tell you. I don't have these problems so its not the game its more likely something on your console. I'm not saying its not happening just trying to help you fix the problem.

doubt that 3 xbox's where I played the gameall have the same problem.

Anyway, this thread isn't about Halo 4.

edit:Also I'm not the only one, it was a popular subject in HaloGAF already

Karak

Ya this may be it. Our 6 work room 360's don't have issues and neither does anyone I ever play with online. So maybe it is. Man I haven't cleared my cache in years.

AzaK

I have a 720p projector, I demoed it in the store next to a 1080p projector which at the time was 3 times the price. The difference was barely noticeable from 10-15 feet away, this is on a 106" screen.

I've never had someone watch a movie at my place and say it looked soft or not detailed. Blu-ray looks crisp, sharp and very detailed at 720p.

IQ is much more important than resolution. Give me movie quality visuals at 720p and I'll be happy.

This is the truth. We watched movies for years at 480 on DVD and they looked fucking stunning. Resolution is totally overrated.

meta4

This is the truth. We watched movies for years at 480 on DVD and they looked fucking stunning. Resolution is totally overrated.

A 480 to 720 jump is far easier to discern then 720 to 1080p. I would not mind 720 only but I will be pissed at 30 fps. Games need to target 60 fps next gen.

Reiko

Banned
A 480 to 720 jump is far easier to discern then 720 to 1080p. I would not mind 720 only but I will be pissed at 30 fps. Games need to target 60 fps next gen.

I would like to see more 720p/60fps games and then 1080p/30fps games.

While i definetly think the 360 and the ps3 are showing its age, i think that given new optimization and rendering solutions the current consoles would be able to output some very interesting results over the next while. I hope that microsoft and sony dont abandon the consoles right away like nintendo has done, and microsoft prior.

When they say the next set of consoles will provide an 8x increase, I doubt the effect is going to be mindblowing until a couple years into the hardware, and once we get more then a simple doubling of visual fidelity. I hope that as developers continue to squeeze out perfomance of current consoles it manages to speed up the process for next gen.

IQ is much more important than resolution. Give me movie quality visuals at 720p and I'll be happy.

Absolutely, I'd take more detailed 720p over 1080p any day. There was a nice article on some enthusiast website rating image characteristics in terms of impact on our perception of the overall quality. Resolution was only in the fourth or fifth spot.

Unfortunately, I think the next MS and Sony consoles will target 1080p (and fail in many cases).

winstano

Absolutely, I'd take more detailed 720p over 1080p any day. There was a nice article on some enthusiast website rating image characteristics in terms of impact on our perception of the overall quality. Resolution was only in the fourth or fifth spot.

Unfortunately, I think the next MS and Sony consoles will target 1080p (and fail in many cases).

Give me quality textures and lovely looking games running at 720p at 60fps and I'm sold. All games should doing this on the new machines from the word go, IMHO. Sod 1080p, get 720p right first!

Jtrizzy

Would've been nice if they'd told us this before going out and buying 1080p sets though. I hate upscaling personally. I have one of the nicest tv's out there and 720 still doesn't look right on it.

Feindflug

How are they dated? Those aren't some arbitrary specifications that are made for the sake of technology today. They're deliberate -- and will continue to be. It's ridiculous and naive to mandate 1080p and 60fps for every game next-gen because next-gen does not equal infinite processing power. Concessions still have to be made relative to the specs next-gen (as they are this gen). Every single game this gen could have been 1080p and 60fps but they weren't for valid reasons -- as they will continue to be next-gen. I want my racing, fighting, and downloadable titles to emphasize those qualities, but I want Uncharted 4 to pack as much stuff on screen at possible at 720p and 30fps. The same goes for my open world games. All you can hope for is more variety in approaches -- hope that developers make better decisions. Also recognize how many games are sub-HD this gen -- I don't think we will see that with new tech. There will not be games below 720p -- but there will be plenty that drop below 30fps.

The difference in clarity between a 720p and a 1080p game on my 40" 1080p native set is huge, sure you could push crazy amounts of AA on the 720p framebuffer and get rid of jaggies but that won't make it as sharp as the 1080p.

Also if next gen has again as a standard the 720p/30fps we will definitely see sub-HD games that will also run at <30fps 2-3 years later in the gen lifecycle...what would stop devs from going sub 720p? personally if I had to choose between Agni visuals at 720p or sub-HD with crappy AA and AF against Crysis 3 visuals at 1080p with decent AA and AF I'd choose the latter.

Hopefully as Karak said devs will at least go for 60fps when they choose to stay at 720p (and of course that won't happen) instead of 1080p, use dynamic res framebuffers more frequently or at least go with something along the lines of GT5 res aka 1280*1080 or 1440*1080 which will still be an improvement when compared to 1280*720.

ekim

A_7yVkbCcAE7SDF.jpg:large

Liking this mockups.

and some german at twitter states he knows, that the PS4 will be released(!) next month :D
https://twitter.com/Kaputzino/status/287993170933997569
and
https://twitter.com/Kaputzino/status/288055695130103808

lol

Dabanton

The worst thing about new consoles this year is all the 'insiders' come out the woodwork with their bullshit.

Because of the extended gen and the growth of twitter and the other social networks etc I feel it's going to be awful this time round.

The brits actually use "telly" as a word?

Yes we do. :)

GlamFM

Banned
Okay, now Sony seems to have moved E3 to 25th of february

Basic translation is that I asked him - when he knows so much - which specifications the PlayStation 4 would have.

He replied, that everything will be announced at E3 on february 25th.

And I decided to make fun of him...

derExperte

How many of you people crying about 720p and 30fps were around for the ps1 nevermind anything older? What's worse: 720p or the Mass Effect 3 ending?

I was around when the Voodoo 1 was released, so my PS1 had a good six months after purchase before it started to gather dust. Two years later played in 1024*768 on V2s. 720p in 2014? C'mon, we can do better than that and I think we will.

DocStar

Neo Member
Destination Playstation retailer event is being held February 25th.
Wonder what this event will do to MS?

Yeah, that's what I know too but i don't think we will hear a solid announcement.
Maybe some rumors, but definitely not a rock solid announcement with some pictures of the hardware.

JackHerer

Bull. Shit.

The framerate is up among the best this gen has had to offer. I have witnessed a couple of noticeable framedrops in my 4+ days total playtime. Dominion, BTB, Exile etc... no. Maybe an isolated incident at worst.

Certain maps have horrendous frame rate drops for me and quite a few other people I have talked to/played with.

Split screen multiplayer (especially 4 player split) is damn near unplayable.

It really only occurs on a few maps for me when playing alone though and pretty much always in BTB. Exile is the most noticeable, particularly when multiple vehicles are in play.

This is coming from a huge Halo fan so I'm not just trying to trash the game.

LosDaddie

Banned
It's not perfect, but I wouldn't be all hyperbolic and call it shit unless your talking about split screen exclusively.

I've experienced serious slowdown once in the campaign, maybe one more time but only a blip of it then. And I think once in matchmaking across my ~500 matchmaking games.

HaloGAF gonna HaloGAF ;)

I haven't experience much slowdown in Halo 4, either. Maybe a match here & there, including the Crimson maps. But I also haven't played splitscreen much, either...except for a few Spartan Ops missions.

Karak

Hopefully as Karak said devs will at least go for 60fps when they choose to stay at 720p (and of course that won't happen) instead of 1080p, use dynamic res framebuffers more frequently or at least go with something along the lines of GT5 res aka 1280*1080 or 1440*1080 which will still be an improvement when compared to 1280*720.

The real issue will be if the custom silicon(Honestly somewhat the most important part) fits into a spec to allow for 1080p. What I mean by that is if the custom silicon that is added is there to specifically allow for 1080p gaming by making up for any shortcomings they feel are there. Custom silicon can help a system get to a spec it would be more cost/heat ineffective to do if a full on heavy duty CPU/GPU were used.
1080p is NOT anywhere near impossible to hit at a 60 FPS rate with even a minimal and unrealistically small jump in power. But devs are not always going for 60. Many of them state very clearly that they are shooting for 30fps due to something they are doing internally.

That being said we will see MANY devs choose a different spec and it won't just be 720p. 720p has been technically passed by and the MS specs for hardware just got finalized. So, for the most part, its somewhat safe to assume that those specs aim for a typical 1080p picture. Then they leave it up to the devs to figure out what they want to do.

Devs are not perfect and PC games need the same kind of optimization. Look at the rumors about the optimization of Samaritan and you get to see that time = optimization in particular devs while it might mean more content from others. It matter very little when it comes to the hardware if a dev just keeps throwing resources at the game engine.

One thing to always remember is that out of all the devs only 8-10 have the money, resources, and time to push 1080p resources all the way through their games. I am talking games that truly push and aren't just unoptimized. This isn't taking into account bad optimization. So what you get are devs who have a particular art style they want to hit and MS tools are known to be VERY robust. This allows for devs to move around within the 720p-1080p spec, AA, dynamic res, dynamic vsync, and so forth, are added or subtracted.

We will see some devs that shoot for 720p and use a ton of pre and post to really add glitz to their games using any custom silicon tricks they can. We will see others going for a 1080p pic with clarity. And FPS will be adjusted between them.

This gen will be a gen where the tricks and tools of the past will pay off more so than the last on the MS box.

This gen will be a gen where numbers begin to blur pretty severally except for FPS. Everything else, resolution(dynamic or not), vsynch(dynamic or not), GPU speed and internals(Shader optimizations INCOMING!), CPU optimizations, and overall customization. Numbers are truly going to mean less than before. Some will appear mighty overpowered and others just adequate. Custom silicon and dev intelligence will have the major impact just like PC games. How many times have we all lamanted a buggy or unoptimized game and then looked over at a game, running on our same hardware, that looks better, performs better, and kicks the first games ass? Hundreds of times!
Brute force can only make up for so much. Custom silicon can make up for some more. Tools help with both. And lastly you are left with the devs themselves.

Top Bottom