• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft teases for E3 with countdown: "And it's on..."

L1NETT

Green = MS

MS = toothless

Hmmm....

;-) Are you allowed to say anything Karak or is this a pre-pre tease of possible info?

Edit: Dammit, top of the page

In one image sum up your expectations for the next gen of consoles, go!

header-WMC.png

Karak

Green = MS

MS = toothless

Hmmm....

;-) Are you allowed to say anything Karak or is this a pre-pre tease of possible info?

Edit: Dammit, top of the page

That is how I feel. No hidden tease about a toothless green shirt wearing kid.

It is childhood excitement without the consent downpour of cynicism and unrealistic expectations with no reason other than dick wagging.

farnham

Banned
So does anyone think ms will have an ezpz win this gen?

Sony is beaten down financially and now has a junkrating. Loans will now require interest rates over 10% p.a. They wont be able to bleed money like with ps3.

Nintendo has lost their casual consumer base, their fanbase and hardcore gamrs never cared and never will care. The sales are already abysmal and it will probably not look much better when ms launches its box.

The only thing ms needs to fix is japan. If they can capture japan MS will take the crown almost uncontested.

Sony is beaten down financially and now has a junkrating. Loans will now require interest rates over 10% p.a. They wont be able to bleed money like with ps3.

Nintendo has lost their casual consumer base, their fanbase and hardcore gamrs never cared and never will care. The sales are already abysmal and it will probably not look much better when ms launches its box.

The only thing ms needs to fix is japan. If they can capture japan MS will take the crown almost uncontested.
I think they have their best chance of doing so this next gen. I've got a feeling that Microsoft know this and will really come out guns blazing. I think the launch will be awesome.

Karak

It will be interesting.

Never count Sony or Apple, or anyone out. Either as a direct competitor or to take some sales.

That being said MS is going all out. That doesn't mean they will put a 680gtx in their system. It means they are doing as much as they can without risking the entire company on a stupid venture. Just by looking at their official powerpoint shows that they haven't ignored any technology(like Bluray before) and have their eyes set on a current release and growth in the future. Their recent acquisitions point to a living room+ takeover. They will aim for a sweetspot. A huge difference in last gen that makes sense.

MS has a great deal of cash and is not risk adverse. Some would say their fanbase is now close to Sony's in devout worship. MS is known to do some crazy things like create entire development houses in mass for a systems release. That can lull people into thinking they don't care. But all systems have a big casual base in their later years.
Sony has great devs that haven't seen some of the success they deserve, but lack the financial flexibility. Their fanbase is loyal in the face of death.

Japan is a card that I fear MS will never ever break.
Japan is a card that can be folded if MS or Sony take both of the main other regions in a massive way.

I won't speculate on anything other than America as I don't know enough.
But the US consumers here have shown that they will go for many things, powerful, easy, NOT powerful but fun. The first company to hit that sweetspot will see Wii like sales with continued 360 like sales in their later years. If that company pushes the future(like MS does) than they can continue to see a success. MS is 100% invested in cloud gaming or cloud+ gaming(gaming where the cloud takes some of the brunt off of the systems GPU-CPU). Sony has shown the same but we don't know either groups full plan.

I know people love to hate MS but there is a reason you see so many articles about MS pushing really unique future concepts for technology. Removing the hate for Windows they push out some crazy ideas. It will be interesting to see if all the other stuff comes about.

Final Chance: I would say 80% if they deliver on hardcore games with their secret studios. 60% chance if we see huge delays or some kind of RROD issue.

farnham

Banned
Never count Sony or Apple, or anyone out. Either as a direct competitor or to take some sales.

That being said MS is going all out. That doesn't mean they will put a 680gtx in their system. It means they are doing as much as they can without risking the entire company on a stupid venture.

Japan is a card that I fear MS will never ever break.
Japan is a card that can be folded if MS or Sony take both of the main other regions in a massive way.

I dont think sony is a threat. They failed three platforms in a row (compared to expectation) and the last one is dreamcast level or worse. They have a horrible rating which will make getting the cashflow going extremely hard.

Apple? Do you really think they will make a console?

Proelite

I don't think Sony can beat MS on hardware ever again, but they have the potential to beat MS on software.

MS makes worse and worse consumer software these days in comparison to the top competition.

I dont think sony is a threat. They failed three platforms in a row (compared to expectation) and the last one is dreamcast level or worse. They have a horrible rating which will make getting the cashflow going extremely hard.

MS can't get complacent, they need to start like they did this gen.

I don't think Sony can beat MS on hardware ever again, but they have the potential to beat MS on software.

MS makes worse and worse consumer software these days in comparison to the top competition.

The thing is Sony can't seem to make a blockbuster. Sony wants to get where they used to be, i don't think they want to settle for 3rd again.

farnham

Banned

Do they need software though? They have enough third partys begfging to develop for them. Just moneyhat a handful of em and they will be good to go.

Well, gaming is one of Sony's best divisions, so I am sure that they will do everything in their power to remain relevant, especially after the Vita debacle. If they don't do something significant, I agree that they will go the way of the Xbox and Gamecube during the 6th gen.

Do they need software though? They have enough third partys begfging to develop for them. Just moneyhat a handful of em and they will be good to go.

This time they wont have a headstart and price advantage though. They need to make sure they start aggressive like this gen.

Karak

I think calling anything a console will be very close to being WRONG. Both from Sony and MS. Simply due to the fact that they will do many things. For example HDMI Passthrough is a huge deal and if it is indeed included it isn't just a small feature. It COULD be a gamechanger in both TV viewing and overall system integration as a single unit that does a everything. The things you can do with a powerful console and HDMI passthrough really is amazing. If you just sit back and think about what you can do if you can overlay anything over a game or tv signal, including OS style functions. Da DAMN.
Honestly moreso than custom silicon, or GPU changes or additional memory those kinds of things blows my mind.

Smartglass has been avoided in most discussion but I feel that MS has some VERY distinct plans in this regard and in a "psuedo mobile game player" market. If the next MS system can offset the game budget and send out full game versions to the handhelds..or ANY handheld running smartglass. Wow. Thinking just of Onlive, regardless of issues I may have with the company, seeing LA Noire on my Tablet was pretty awe inspiring. Think of that done well or secondary games. Lots of options for devs.

We(you and I) will call them consoles. But truthfully by the end of its life the 360 really is almost a console+ and so will the PS3 probably be.

Apple could indeed release a system that appears like a console but does many other things. I don't see the same success for say a Steambox due to the various issues they will be having with audience and overall compatibility and just a "WTF is this" mentality that might hurt it too much out of the gate.

I don't count Apple out of anything.

This time they wont have a headstart and price advantage though. They need to make sure they start aggressive like this gen.
I don't think either company has the silicon flexibility to just release when another asks. One of them is trully ahead and one of them is on their own timeline.
BUT I agree with what you say. The payment plan is also a massive MASSIVE trojan horse. A holiday release with a 199(I would love it lower) system price using a subscription method would be a ligitamte killer. Since MS has the funds to offset this kind of debt from the consumer it would most likely be an avenue only available to them.

It may not matter to us but that means the next gen system would be price at what is consider NOW a budge price. Show games with a true and easily recognizable improvement and...it will be interesting.

DocStar

Neo Member
Oh god, I can't imagine if Sony and Microsoft go out with most of their AAA-guns this E3.

If any E3 in the coming years has the potential of being FUCK-AWESOME it should be E3 2013.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Oh god, I can't imagine if Sony and Microsoft go out with most of their AAA-guns this E3.

If any E3 in the coming years has the potential of being FUCK-AWESOME it should be E3 2013.
That's a good guess. The next 6 months will be a hard wait.

SPDIF

I can't say I agree with that. When they really get it right I don't think anybody, including Apple and Google, beats them when it comes to software. People might complain about Windows 8 on a desktop, but on a tablet it's by far the best OS out of the three (iOS, Android and Windows) IMO.

Same with Windows Phone. Just a shame about the app situation.

Karak

360 is third right now.

This kind of stuff is how easily it is to see how facts and numbers don't equal actual awareness in some places.
Sony may continue to sell the PS3 for ten years after they release the PS4 and it will become first even over the Wii. But depending on where you are in the world, MS is considered ABOVE the Wii and the 360. Obviously other places below.

They consider themselves in 2nd place. But most likely because they ignore Japan as Japan ignores them.

It also stands, for some to be uber disappointing. That's the thing I try to keep my brain wrapped around. That the overall thought is better than any 1 group that may have issues with some perceived problem. We hate that MS releases mostly 3rd party stuff and gets DLC exclusives. But those that I know who don't follow NUMBERS think that the best multiplat games are for 360 and they don't KNOW what isn't being offered. It isn't even out of sight out of mind. Its just not getting that wrapped up in the specifics of what COULD be available and instead concentrating on what IS available.

MS could unleash all 11 studios with hardcore games and it STILL wouldn't be enough for some. It will be too expensive, not have a 680 inside it...or something:(

meta4

This kind of stuff is how easily it is to see how facts and numbers don't equal actual awareness in some places.
Sony may continue to sell the PS3 for ten years after they release the PS4 and it will become first even over the Wii. But depending on where you are in the world, MS is considered ABOVE the Wii and the 360. Obviously other places below.

They consider themselves in 2nd place. But most likely because they ignore Japan as Japan ignores them.(

Even if you ignore Japan they are ahead in Europe as well. I was actually responding to a joke post that Sony is not even a threat to MS anymore which is an exaggerated statement when worldwide MS is in third place now. Here we have a company that has sold over 310 million consoles over three generations and are not even a threat? For all of Sony's problems Sony has sold just as many PS3's as MS has 360 and the difference is still increasing. It seems to be such an exaggerated ridiculous assertion that Sony is not even a threat when you have had homeconsoles from MS selling less than 25 million and Nintendo selling less than that across two generations but they were able to stage comebacks.
Beside's you assign the ranking of a console based on total sales worldwide and not sales just according to one region.

I just don't think Japan is as huge of a market with home consoles as they once were imo. Personally, I think they need to go after the European market. MSFT is strong in the UK, but slowly emerging in other European markets. If they can lock up the US again next gen and make more traction in Europe, Sony is kind of screwed. Looking at sales figures (someone posted here in December), doesn't Japan only amount to 7 million PS3's sold vs. 63 million worldwide?

The thing is that Sony is making a comeback this late in the gen and surpassing MSFT in worldwide sales. What I find crazy is that we had 3 consoles this gen sell really well and be this high. From the Wii which is nearing 100 million, the PS3 which surpassed 70 million months ago, and the 360 just did that a month or two ago.

Karak

Even if you ignore Japan they are ahead in Europe as well. I was actually responding to a joke post that Sony is not even a threat to MS anymore which is an exaggerated statement when worldwide MS is in third place now. Here we have a company that has sold over 310 million consoles over three generations and are not even a threat? For all of Sony's problems Sony has sold just as many PS3's as MS has 360 and the difference is still increasing. It seems to be such an exaggerated ridiculous assertion that Sony is not even a threat when you have had homeconsoles from MS selling less than 25 million and Nintendo selling less than that across two generations but they were able to stage comebacks.
Beside's you assign the ranking of a console based on total sales worldwide and not sales just according to one region.

That's not what my point was about.
It was about the fact that the majority of people don't care at all including me. I personally think anyone is a threat to anyone else.

Is this actually confirmed? I've seen it mentioned a few times recently but never seen an official source.
I don't know. I haven't tracked that stuff in years.

Globally tracking web searches and stuff is interesting though. When you check 720(probably not the name) versus PS3. I love that stuff. Not because it proves shit. Just because it shows you where certain tracking takes place and how it does.

That's how people on game forums with system allegiances assign rankings. Businesses do it by how much money they've made, have the potential to make going forward, marketshare gained/lost etc. The sheer amount of marketshare Sony lost this gen makes them a huge loser, and unfortunately for them their handheld marketshare is now also getting decimated. I hope for their sake, and my sake as a gamer, that they can pull it together.

Is this actually confirmed? I've seen it mentioned a few times recently but never seen an official source.

No, it isn't. It won't be known until both companies release their fiscals for 2012.

meta4

Actually even I was not sure until yesterday when I checked the actual financials report and compared them. It has sold 200k more as of Sept 30, 2012. All the three companies have released official data till Sep 30, 2012 with the same reporting period. I just see the gap increasing more worldwide.

PS3 - 70.2

360 - 70

MS could unleash all 11 studios with hardcore games and it STILL wouldn't be enough for some. It will be too expensive, not have a 680 inside it...or something:(

But in comparison to previous E3's. This one is going to blow them out of the water in terms of awesomeness. With that said, I think some pre E3 unveils are going to happen, perhaps taking some of the steam away from E3.

Actually even I was not sure until yesterday when I checked the actual financials report and compared them. It has sold 200k more as of Sept 30, 2012. All the three companies have released official data till Sep 30, 2012 with the same reporting period. I just see the gap increasing more worldwide.

PS3 - 70.2

360 - 70

So to answer his question, no.

But in comparison to previous E3's. This one is going to blow them out of the water in terms of awesomeness. With that said, I think some pre E3 unveils are going to happen, perhaps taking some of the steam away from E3.

I think so too. Even Nintendo doesn't treat E3 with much regard anymore. I like that Sony and Microsoft try to at least put on a show still. And then "hardcore" gamers whine that 30 minutes of a 2 hour presentation was spent on non-games, forgetting that not a single one of the 'E's in E3 stands for 'game'.

Karak

There will be pre bits for sure.

I think it does have the chance of being awesome. I think people should just THINK a bit though. Think about the vast differences between consoles and PC's and stuff like that.

For instance people wanting 16 gigs of ram in a console. Not only NOT going to happen, it doesn't make actual sense. Especially concerning the types of ram available and speeds.

In terms of games. I have no doubts MS KNOWS what they need to do. Mattrick may be hated by many for his LOOK but he has serious game chops. Moreso than the other 2 by far.

meta4

That's how people on game forums with system allegiances assign rankings. Businesses do it by how much money they've made, have the potential to make going forward, marketshare gained/lost etc. The sheer amount of marketshare Sony lost this gen makes them a huge loser, and unfortunately for them their handheld marketshare is now also getting decimated. I hope for their sake, and my sake as a gamer, that they can pull it together.

No, it isn't. It won't be known until both companies release their fiscals for 2012.

Marketshare alone implies saying something as Sony is no threat is ridiculous. 70 million consumers bought the ps3 and continue to.They are potential customers to buy the PS4. The customers could care less whether Sony made more profit selling 70 million or if MS got more profit. That is for the companies to worry. The point is if Sony released a well priced console next gen there is no reason why there are more people ready to buy an MS console worldwide then a Sony console since both have a equal market share this gen and present customers would most likely continue to stick with the same console next gen. Its not like MS crossed the 100 million barrier or something while Sony is at 25 million to even suggest the possibility that MS is likely to sell more consoles next gen.

So to answer his question, no.

To answer his question as per the latest official data as of Sept 30,2012 the answer is yes.

I think it does have the chance of being awesome. I think people should just THINK a bit though. Think about the vast differences between consoles and PC's and stuff like that.

For instance people wanting 16 gigs of ram in a console. Not only NOT going to happen, it doesn't make actual sense. Especially concerning the types of ram available and speeds.

reverse-1297101971_cat-falls-asleep.gif

You're boring me now. Where's the insider info? We need it. Give us something!

Karak

reverse-1297101971_cat-falls-asleep.gif

You're boring me now. Where's the insider info? We need it. Give us something!

Keeping the mentality I wrote above. Is more important than any date or announcement data I have given. One happens and is gone. The other is something that can really improve your overall enjoyment.
And yes I know you are just flicking me shit:)

DocStar

Neo Member

Well it would be enough for me.
That was why I sold my 360, 2 years ago.

Oh god, how i hope that both will blast us away - heck, even Nintendo will show some of their Triple A Lineup. (I don't believe that they will simply put out some Nintendo Directs)

There will be blood, an I LIKE IT A LOT :D

The funny thing about this upcoming gen is due to the fact that nobody knows anything about Sony and we have a lot of people with close ties to MS hyping up the next system is that we start to think that Sony is already defeated before they even release the system.

Just before the Wii, Nintendo was discounted and there were chants of going 3rd party every time we talked about them. Look what happened. I think it's silly to assume things without no real evidence from both sides.

I feel like most people will be disappointed in the next few months, if next gen turns out to be more competitive than they think.

I feel like most people will be disappointed in the next few months, if next gen turns out to be more competitive than they think.

That's a good thing. I want Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo to battle it out on who has the better games and service. They'll build off eachother.

Go go capitalism!

In terms of games. I have no doubts MS KNOWS what they need to do. Mattrick may be hated by many for his LOOK but he has serious game chops. Moreso than the other 2 by far.

Absolutely, expectations are key, I actually like mine this time around vs E3 2005. I expect the consoles to have 4-6gb of RAM, etc. Hard to believe MS almost shipped the 360 with 256mb of RAM.

Top Bottom