• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to finance Halo movie

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Grimmy said:
Good luck to Microsoft, but I have just five words: FINAL FANTASY: THE SPIRITS WITHIN. Thank you.

Um, there's a lot about Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within that you need to talk about before comparing it with ANY other movie.

Grimmy

Banned
There's no need - the two films have the most important things in common, and that is:

GINORMOUS budget with unproven directors for video game franchises. Sheer stupidity and utter folly. Video game movies should proves themselves with new technology, smaller budgets and good scripts, not the other way round by asking you to dump money into the river. Looks like studios are finally getting smarter.

I'm so glad I don't need to greenlight such crap for work.

jett said:
When Peter Jackson won an oscar(i'm not sure if it was that or at the golden globes) for best director he sarcastically thanked the Weinsteins(Miramax's ex head honchos) for all their support. The look on Bob Weinstein when the camera cut to him = teh priceless.

I don't know if that was sarcasm. The Weinstein's were the ones that were able to get Saul Zaentz (who controlled the movie rights) to greenlight the films as a favor to them since they had helped save Zaentz's English Patient from stalling.

And reportedly the Weinsteins themselves wanted to do multiple films, Disney just wouldn't go along with it. They still served as executive producers for the movies.

That was one of a series of conflicts that lead to the Weinsteins leaving Mirimax (and of course is the exact reason why Disney is now doing the Chronicles of Narnia).

Stinkles

Grimmy said:
There's no need - the two films have the most important things in common, and that is:

GINORMOUS budget with unproven directors for video game franchises. Sheer stupidity and utter folly. Video game movies should proves themselves with new technology, smaller budgets and good scripts, not the other way round by asking you to dump money into the river. Looks like studios are finally getting smarter.

I'm so glad I don't need to greenlight such crap for work.

Um, FF was made by game designers and writers and independently financed by Square.

Our movie will be made by film makers and with financing and distribution from a yet to be announced movie studio. It will be made with a good script by a competent movie screenplay writer and the visualization and design will be done by WETA. It will be produced by Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh, who are both notriously budget conscious. It will be deirected by a plainly talented film maker.

There is NO comparison. You're flailing and contradicting yourself. One of your early points was that Asia doesn't care about Halo, yet you directly compared it with FF, which Asia does care about.

And you don't have the first clue what the Halo movie budget is. You simply decided it was "enormous"

Grimmy

Banned
Stinkles said:
Um, FF was made by game designers and writers and independently financed by Square.
Apaprently so is HALO now, unless you can divulge more about this mysterious financing studio. If it's Paramount, well, good luck. You'll need it. And if it's Warner, then they obviously haven't learned from this summer's fiasco.

Stinkles said:
Our movie will be made by film makers and with financing and distribution from a yet to be announced movie studio. It will be made with a good script by a competent movie screenplay writer and the visualization and design will be done by WETA. It will be produced by Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh, who are both notriously budget conscious. It will be deirected by a plainly talented film maker."

Peter and Fran??? Budget conscious??? That is HILARIOUS. Especially WETA, which is notorious for spending more than the budget allows. Wonderful news on script, I'm sure. I hope you surround this new director with enough competent people then, because that's the only way he'll succeed.

Stinkles said:
There is NO comparison. You're flailing and contradicting yourself. One of your early points was that Asia doesn't care about Halo, yet you directly compared it with FF, which Asia does care about.

There is no contradiction. No one is Asia cares about HALO. They love FF. FF flopped in Asia. Big. What hope does HALO have when such a sure thing turned out not so sure anymore in Asia?

Stinkles said:
And you don't have the first clue what the Halo movie budget is. You simply decided it was "enormous"

Wasn't it quoted at $145 mil?

I wouldn't greenlight it for anything above $45 mil.

Stinkles

Oh, ok, so what you're saying is that it is impossible to make a good movie that is successful. And that any movie costing over $45M is doomed? My bad.

Grimmy said:
Apaprently so is HALO now,

Did you read my reply? We are not writing it, directing it, doing preproduction, post-production or distributing it. Your entire argument is baseless. Wait til you read more, or better yet, the movie comes out. Then judge.

Grimmy

Banned
Stinkles said:
Oh, ok, so what you're saying is that it is impossible to make a good movie that is successful. And that any movie costing over $45M is doomed? My bad.

No, I'm saying that it is next to impossible to make a movie that is successful WHEN IT IS BASED OFF OF A VIDEO GAME, HAS A FIRST-TIME DIRECTOR AND COSTS $145 MILLION. Come on, this is simple stuff - surely I don't need to reiterate this again?

I would easily fork over $120 mil on HARRY POTTER because, damn it, I know exactly What kind of audience there is. HALO? Sorry, but until a video game franchise manages to be a proven, quality series, I would never, ever fork out over $50 mil for it. Especially one whose appeal is mstly in North America.

Like I said though, I'm lucky that I actually LIKE the stuff I greenlight - not all this video game franchise BS, which is just another way to sell your brand in the end.

Can't wait to buy a ticket to go see the adventures of the green guy with the motorcycle helmet. Can't wait!

You can bet on audiences being drawn in by the attractive characters that populate the Halo universe.

Seriously, if this was a pardody, I would say: points taken off for not being believable.

usea

Okay, somebody help me out here. I've been ignoring Halo hype for a few years because I thought it would fade away. I honestly have no idea what makes the franchise so endearing and compelling to people. Both games are easily two of the worst shooters I've played in a long time. The story is horrible, the characters are laughably stupid, the weapons are pathetic, and the level design in shooters 10 years ago was better. The only thing I liked was the shield system.

Who seriously expects to enjoy even a big-budget Halo movie? Why do people like the games so much?

Proelite

usea said:
Okay, somebody help me out here. I've been ignoring Halo hype for a few years because I thought it would fade away. I honestly have no idea what makes the franchise so endearing and compelling to people. Both games are easily two of the worst shooters I've played in a long time. The story is horrible, the characters are laughably stupid, the weapons are pathetic, and the level design in shooters 10 years ago was better. The only thing I liked was the shield system.

Who seriously expects to enjoy even a big-budget Halo movie? Why do people like the games so much?

OUCH! My IQ just plummeted into my cranium! :lol :lol :lol

Edit: Look up opinions in the dictionary.

usea said:

If you don't get it, you don't get it.

usea said:

smashtv.jpg

"WINNER!"

Stinkles

usea said:

I don't like celery. Lots of people do. It's weird.

Tieno

usea said:

Seriously, frequently threads pop up on GAF that have Halo love and hate. You never entered one of those and read a few posts?

Stinkles

Grimmy said:
Like I said though, I'm lucky that I actually LIKE the stuff I greenlight

Well, at least you have a qualified opinion. So, money where your mouth is - what HAVE you greenlit?

Speevy

Banned
usea said:

Maybe some of the people who helped make it the most successful and highly acclaimed first person shooter of this generation, or perhaps some of the folks that made it the most successful online console game of all time?

Proelite

As long as the movie is well made, and it gets marketed well, it will see profit. $150 million budget is nothing when compared to the budgets for films nowadays.

Tieno said:
Seriously, frequently threads pop up on GAF that have Halo love and hate. You never entered one of those and read a few posts?

It's one thing to hate the game. It's another thing to think this movie is a bad idea because the Halo universe is not very compelling in terms of story and characters.

woxel1

Speevy said:
Maybe some of the people who helped make it the most successful and highly acclaimed first person shooter of this generation, or perhaps some of the folks that made it the most successful online console game of all time?

That's still not enough to make the film worthwhile. Throwing a lot of money at the problem - that not enough people can be trusted to see this movie - won't make it go away. Halo: The Movie will need a big name star and licensed songs on the soundtrack, at least. I'm not saying that's what anyone at Bungie or MS wants, but it's a reality of Hollywood filmmaking.

Grimmy

Banned
I'll leave you to figure out, but here's two incredibly talented and cool people I work with:

1. Chinese. Sunglasses.
2. Silver-haired. Ohio native.

usea

Tieno said:
Nope. Like I said, I had been avoiding it (in denial). This thread is interesting though. I should have avoiding asking that question in a thread that isn't directly related though.

perryfarrell said:
It's one thing to hate the game. It's another thing to think this movie is a bad idea because the Halo universe is not very compelling in terms of story and characters.
I don't follow. How are those not valid reasons for expecting a movie to be bad?

border said:
I think a part of the problem is that none of the characters in the game have a really charismatic hook that's going to appeal to a wide audience. Master Chief constantly wears a mask and the rest are all military stereotypes. The most lively person is a computer AI. I gotta assume they're putting in some supporting characters and at least couple women. Studios probably wanted a love interest for Master Chief ;)
I think you're forgetting the marines in Halo Wars.

Stinkles

Grimmy said:
I'll leave you to figure out, but here's two incredibly talented and cool people I work with:

1. Chinese. Sunglasses.
2. Silver-haired. Ohio native.

bruceshades.jpg

downs1_medium.jpg

Seriously - just tell us about the amazing blockbusters you personally greenlit.

woxel1 said:
That's still not enough to make the film worthwhile. Throwing a lot of money at the problem - that not enough people can be trusted to see this movie - won't make it go away. Halo: The Movie will need a big name star and licensed songs on the soundtrack, at least. I'm not saying that's what anyone at Bungie or MS wants, but it's a reality of Hollywood filmmaking.

Look, not one person on this forum knows if the movie will be good or not. But the top ten movies of all time contain like, one licensed song between them. Star Wars featured Peter Cushing as its biggest-name actor, and any character can be made compelling with good writing - see Cars, for just one of thousands of pertinent examples.

usea

Proelite said:
OUCH! My IQ just plummeted into my cranium! :lol :lol :lol

Edit: Look up opinions in the dictionary.
I asked why. There has to be a reason people feel the way they do. Opinions aren't magic.

Proelite

Lol, the events surrounding the halo movie is eerily similar to the events that occurred before LOTR. All we need is a studio like New Line to see the need for 3 halo movies.

Grimmy

Banned
Stinkles said:
Seriously - just tell us about the amazing blockbusters you personally greenlit.

Who said I greenlight blockbusters? I never did. I work on actually GOOD films - you know, stuff that actually has substance and not more excuse to market video game (or any other types of properties) brands. You know, stuff that wins in Cannes or Venice or Berlin. Stuff that don't cost more than $20 mil yet are fan-freakin'-tastic and I don't have to sell my soul to work on.

And it you don't respect that then tough for you. I LOVE what I do.

Proelite

usea said:
I asked why. There has to be a reason people feel the way they do. Opinions aren't magic.

Okay, somebody help him out there. I've been following Halo hype for a few years because I thought it would never fade away.I honestly have no idea what makes the franchise so revulting and boring to some people. Both games are easily two of the best shooters I've played in a long time. The story is excellent, the characters are intelligently fleshed-out, the weapons are fantastic, and the level design is better than most shooters made 5 years after. The only thing I disliked was the library.

Stinkles

Grimmy said:
Who said I greenlight blockbusters? I never did. I work on actually GOOD films - you know, stuff that actually has substance and not more excuse to market video game (or any other types of properties) brands. You know, stuff that wins in Cannes or Venice or Berlin. Stuff that don't cost more than $20 mil yet are fan-freakin'-tastic and I don't have to sell my soul to work on.

I didn't say I didn't respect it. I just asked you to demonstrate. If the movies you personally greenlit are so awesome, then tell the forum what they are. I can't imagine why they'd be secret.

usea said:
I don't follow. How are those not valid reasons for expecting a movie to be bad?

Actually, I agree with you. I think the movie will suck, because noone wants to see the adventures of a green dude w/ a motorcycle helmet.

For comparison, I'll play any Mario Bros. game, but I'd never see a movie involving Mario.

Tieno

Grimmy said:

Then list some of the stuff that you greenlit and won at Cannes or Venice or Berlin! No need to be ashamed about what you love to do and that won such prestigious awards. You have me intrigued!

Pseudo judo said:
That's where we disagree I guess. I'm of the opinion that the IP is the foundation of interest in these movies and the attachments like Spielberg and Tom Cruise add a certain level of legetimicy to the hope that, in the end, the IP will end up turning into a good movie.

Halo, imo, is in a different league in this regarde. Most Halo fans, to which there are obviously millions, will see the movie regardless of who's making it. Just to see how well they turned their beloved franchise into a movie or to see how much they've butchered it. Attachements like Peter Jackson just validate the hope that the movie will be good, as well as selling the idea that it may be good to people who have heard of Halo, are getting wrapped up in the hype, want to see a big budget Hollywood movie, and believe that Peter Jackson will deliver.
It's not a matter of "opinion." I'm not talking about what makes a good movie. I'm saying people will automatically see a movie directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Tom Cruise. Do you really disagree with that? It's not an opinion, it's a fact. It will happen. If there's a popular IP great, but Spielberg has made numerous ludicrously successful films not based on ANY preexisting IP, so how do you explain that?

Proelite

perryfarrell said:
Actually, I agree with you. I think the movie will suck, because noone wants to see the adventures of a green dude w/ a motorcycle helmet.

If noone want to see the movie doesn't mean the movie will suck. The adventures of a green dude w/ a motorcycle helmet can be a good movie.

If M>P, then ~P>~M, and finally ~M=:D and the movie will rule.

Simple logic.

I also think that people are forgetting DOOM, its a sci-fi movie, but still sold well, because it had The Rock in it. It even had a Xbox demo in the DVD for christ's sakes!

Halo's movie will succeed.

C'mon guys. You all know Mortal Kombat was a damn good movie.

What I'm worried about is Microsoft or Bungie stepping in to take over at some point during the process (changing things). Yeah there is a high probability that this movie will suck but I'd like to hope that it won't.

Ikael

There is a huge market for science fiction fans if properly advertised.

I have never played any Halo nor owned an xbox, yet as a science fiction and general videogaming fan I am completely eager to watch this movie :) Microsoft's millions + indie artist vision might end up in greatness. Screw Hollywood and their "you got no experience and I have no balls" mantra.

Grimmy

Banned
Stinkles said:
I didn't say I didn't respect it. I just asked you to demonstrate. If the movies you personally greenlit are so awesome, then tell the forum what they are. I can't imagine why they'd be secret.

Because this is my personal opinion, and I don't want it to reflect on what I do for work, since I represent my company. Sorry, but I really have no need to prove my credentials just to win some pointless argument on-line. I'd rather not be legally liable, thank you.

But if you want to figure out those two, just think of recent Cannes winners. It's not that hard. Heck, the 2nd one just won last year.

border

Chinese + Sunglasses = Wong Kar Wai

Halo probably won't be as good as Chungking Express, but so few things are.
I also think that people are forgetting DOOM, its a sci-fi movie, but still sold well, because it had The Rock in it.
Doom made $28 million in the USA, less than half of its budget.

Proelite

Okay, haters be damned. Here is the first leaked snippets of the things weta and bungie are working on. They are using the Halo engine as a prototype scenes.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=asnzWDdNVxo

Tell me Halo fans, and science fiction fans, there are at least 200 million of those in the world, won't rush to see this movie.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
border said:
Chinese + Sunglasses = Wong Kar Wai

Halo probably won't be as good as Chungking Express, but so few things are.
Doom made $28 million in the USA, less than half of its budget.

video has always been the main moneymaker for films. it recovered most of its budget just from the box office. i'm sure in the end they made quite a bit of profit off of it.

Top Bottom