• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to finance Halo movie

JdFoX187

Banned
malek4980 said:
The premise that every single person who has purchased a Halo videogame, or nearly every single person who has purchased a Halo videogame, will automatically go out to see a Halo movie is such nonsense. Firstly this sure hasn't held with previous videogame franchises and some have been very popular game franchises. Secondly most people don't go to the movie theater at all and they aren't going to be persuaded to start going for a videogame movie. Lastly most people who play Halo, or any other game for that matter, care about playing the game and nothing else to with the franchise. Most people that play games simply play the games and that's it. They don't post on forums and they don't buy books about the game and they don't sit in anticipation of a movie adaptation. Many Halo fans will flock to the movie if it is made, but many more won't.
True...but what about all the people who are interested in a potential good summer action film being produced by Peter Jackson?

malek4980

Rosa Parks hater
JdFoX187 said:
True...but what about all the people who are interested in a potential good summer action film being produced by Peter Jackson?
My comments were only directed at people who purchased or played Halo games. I have no idea how big the potential audience actually is for this movie. However I don't really think people go to see a movie for who produces it. People go for stars or for directors, but I don't think the producer, no matter how big he is, gets asses in seats.

JdFoX187

Banned
malek4980 said:
My comments were only directed at people who purchased or played Halo games. I have no idea how big the potential audience actually is for this movie. However I don't really think people go to see a movie for who produces it. People go for stars or for directors, but I don't think the producer, no matter how big he is, gets asses in seats.
I think Slither capitalized on a lot of the hype of "From the creators of 2004's Dawn of the Dead."

If you just attach a name to a movie, like Tarantino did with Hostel and Hero, it'll sell some more. The common person doesn't know the difference. If he/she sees "X name" they'll probably end up going. But this is all a shot in the dark from me.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Stinkles said:
We are working very closely with our partners, and remembering that good games do not = good movies. We are trusting movie makers to make movies, while staying true to our universe and not adding a hilarious monkey sidekick.
Hillarious monkey sidekick was in the best damn game->movie conversion that ever existed (even though the game<->movie relationship was not brand advertised, and granted, there were actual funny monkeys in the game as well).

Plus, who is to say Master Chief isn't actually a monkey? I've never seen his face, have you? :p:p:p

border

<Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within> If anybody that's ever played the game buys a ticket to go see the movie, then it's a guaranteed blockbuster! </Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within>

border said:
<Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within> If anybody that's ever played the game buys a ticket to go see the movie, then it's a guaranteed blockbuster! </Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within>

I find it really amusing that people keep mentioning this movie as a good example and yet nobody actually remembers that we all knew way before the movie came out that it didn't actually have any of the things people liked about Final Fantasy in it.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
charlequin said:
I find it really amusing that people keep mentioning this movie as a good example and yet nobody actually remembers that we all knew way before the movie came out that it didn't actually have any of the things people liked about Final Fantasy in it.

it had a chocobo on a t-shirt

Matt_C

FitzOfRage said:
I don't know if that was sarcasm. The Weinstein's were the ones that were able to get Saul Zaentz (who controlled the movie rights) to greenlight the films as a favor to them since they had helped save Zaentz's English Patient from stalling.

And reportedly the Weinsteins themselves wanted to do multiple films, Disney just wouldn't go along with it. They still served as executive producers for the movies.

That was one of a series of conflicts that lead to the Weinsteins leaving Mirimax (and of course is the exact reason why Disney is now doing the Chronicles of Narnia).

Dang if the Weinstein Company gets in bed with Microsoft, who needs MGM for thier partner :lol

If Microsoft wants to give the FU to Hollywood, I suggest having it distributed by Lionsgate and MS pull a Lucasfilm in terms of funding. Halo will sell in Asia since who doesn't like gun battles with spiffy effects? A kickass trailer will be good enough for most movie goers.

Realistically, Warner would be the most logical choice since Disney doesn't do HD-DVD ;)

border

charlequin said:
FF: Spirits Within and Halo Movie are not really the same thing, I'll admit. But some of the arguments are retardedly similar. Just because the game sold x million copies doesn't mean the movie has a built-in audience that will make it a success.

Top Bottom