• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to hold Xbox & Windows 10 Media event Feb. 25th

Zedox

News comes from WinBeta

Winbeta said:
Microsoft is planning to showcase its upcoming Xbox spring lineup at a media event to be held in San Francisco on February 25th. The event will feature Xbox head Phil Spencer, and will offer hands-on opportunities with “the best games and platform experiences launching this spring on Xbox and Windows 10”, according to an email sent out to invited media.

We’ve already seen CES come and go, and E3 isn’t until June, so holding a showcase to highlight what’s coming in the first half of 2016 makes some sense, building up momentum even before the annual big games blowout event at E3.

Microsoft has just released its first Xbox One update of the year, including lots of social improvements and new features like an Avatar Store and more, and it looks like we can look forward to not only new games, but more improvements to the Xbox One experience, and more gaming experiences on Windows 10, with many of them coming well before E3.

I'm looking forward to what they will announce and it not only just be a game showcase. I hope they announce Universal Windows Apps coming to the platform (which is basically a known) and hopefully some cross-buy/play games that are coming out. Obviously there's already KI, Gigantic, and Fable Legends...just want to know if more are coming that we don't know. It's also good that they are announcing that games are coming this spring where it's been previously stated about how this is preseason. Giving an "E3" type of presentation but for the first half of the year is smart. Then we have E3 for the second half. I'm also glad that they are highlighting that it is an Xbox/W10 event. Good that they are serious about both platforms (equally).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: I got news from a birdy in the sky ;) with some information on how the event will play out.

- Open house format from 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Stay and play all day, or drop in/out as your schedule allows
- Phil Spencer will open the event with a welcome address – please arrive promptly
- Hands-on with new content from Quantum Break, Forza Motorsport 6, Gears of War: Ultimate Edition for Windows 10, Minecraft, Killer Instinct: Season 3, Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition, Below, Pit People, Dark Souls III, Tom Clancy’s The Division and more
- Developer talks and platform experiences offered every 30 minutes
- Developers and Microsoft Studios spokespeople available for interview
- Direct gameplay capture permitted for several experiences; recording equipment provided
- Video assets and art provided

fantomena

I hope they announce that Gears: UE at least will be available on Steam.

But since Microsoft don't want money, it won't.

Chris1

Awesome, hope we hear more about Recore.

Announcing a potential Xbox One slim would make sense.
Nah idk they have the division bundle in March at $399, who's gonna buy that with a slim around the corner?

But a Slim QB bundle for $299 would be amazing.

Release dates on ReCore, Cuphead, Inside, Below, Fable Legends, and Gigantic would be great.

Universal Windows Apps coming would be great as well. The only app that I'm still waiting for on Xbox One is Vimeo.

Bizzquik

Perhaps they will finally talk about their plans for PC gaming on Windows 10.
We know they are going to offer a service similar to Steam, but they say it somehow won't be Games For Windows Live v2.0.

Will they talk about streaming Windows 10 games on Xbox One...? They've hinted that they are looking into it.

Cross-Platform talk? Cross-Buy talk? Its been almost a year since Phil spoke at GDC.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Announcing a potential Xbox One slim would make sense.

It only would if it launches a week later. Otherwise they'd just be destroying their sales.

We know they are going to offer a service similar to Steam, but they say it somehow won't be Games For Windows Live v2.0.

Eh? That service exists, it's called the Windows Store. There won't be another layer to it. Devs can use Xbox integration or not.

I really hope we see some Windows 10 surprises.

Windows 10 is a real growth opportunity for Microsoft. It actually has the ability to usurp Windows 7 as the next default operating system and continuing to support it with a robust lineup (not available on Windows 7 / Windows 8) helps boost the ecosystem from its current 10% marketshare to a >50% operating system marketshare.

Hopefully Microsoft recognizes the value in that and continues to accelerate Windows 10 support.

Will they talk about streaming Windows 10 games on Xbox One...? They've hinted that they are looking into it.

Cross-Platform talk? Cross-Buy talk? Its been almost a year since Phil spoke at GDC.

We do?

I thought it was just the windows 10 store

Zedox

I think it's probably just a hands-on of the games that we already know that are coming to the Xbox/W10 platform. I think there will be some cross-buy announcements. But all in all, I think it's just to change the picture of them not having games during Q1/Q2 (which had its own thread here...lol). I'm not expecting much either but hopefully it can be something they do normally. I wouldn't mind this next year with Scalebound.

jelly

Zero chance of a slim Xbox announcement.

That will be E3 or after summer.

Hopefully some good Recore footage.

Alx

More than games, I'd want to see more cross-platform features, making use of the "Windows 10 exosystem". Yes, that means Cortana, and also more universal apps (with real universal features, keeping track when you switch between PC and console,...)

dugdug

Banned
Definitely expecting more Win10 announcements than XB1. Would like to see more of the results of the Oculus partnership.

Honestly, not expecting much. Hope I'm wrong though, would love to see more support for crossplay/buy stuff.

Guess will just have to wait and see what they have up their sleeves.

Top Bottom