• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to hold Xbox & Windows 10 Media event Feb. 25th

Thewonandonly

More QB footage would be good. Would also love some Gears 4 footage, but this will be kept for E3.
Na man I would watch it because I can almost garuntee that we will see multiplayer footage of gears 4. I think a big reason they are doing this is to show us some gears multiplayer for the beat that will start RIGHT NOW!!!!! They still have the beta planned for spring right??

blakep267

I wouldn't get your hopes up for any announcements. They did something similar last year and it was literally just a media event to let the press preview the spring lineup, I'm not expecting anything different (other then clearly a bigger emphasis on Windows gaming so I'd expect well see Gears and KI for PC here)

I don't even think we'll see Recore, or Gears 4 , or Crackdown in any shape or form.
Well the gears beta is this spring so that would make sense to give press people hands on

I recently dug this out from a New Year's garage cleaning/crap purge. It obviously has no bearing on this year's showcase but I figured some of you might be interested. I forget which games, if any, were under embargo at the time of the event.

20160113_220459.jpg

Zero chance of a slim Xbox announcement.

That will be E3 or after summer.

Hopefully some good Recore footage.

Shiiiiit, it's sure about time we see some footage. But i wouldn't be surprised if that won't be until E3. I definitely am expecting QB though.

Zedox

So are they gonna come through with the cross-buy options they were touting so I can finally buy some MS games?

Well, besides KI, Fable Legends, and Gigantic...we don't know what other games are going to be cross-buy. Hopefully some full games will become it.

Flintty

Cool. I'm expecting a Minecraft announcement and hopefully more info (maybe gameplay?) of Recore. Plus other shit I dare not dream.

Intrigue

Banned
Hopeful for a slim announcement, kinda want to buy an xone again.

In same token, if they announce everything coming to PC it would be a moot point, especially since my kids are now in love with PC/Steam gaming.

gamz

You mean like when Apple puts most employees at their events that clap at everything? I don't like when companies put their employees at events that should be for another audience. I heard at the Surfacebook event is was more regular people (including press) that was clapping at stuff than employees, but I agree.

Yeah they had a bunch of MS fans and it really enhanced the show. By far my favorite from them.

Zedox

Hopeful for a slim announcement, kinda want to buy an xone again.

In same token, if they announce everything coming to PC it would be a moot point, especially since my kids are now in love with PC/Steam gaming.

Main reason I want to get another XBO is when my fiancé is hogging the TV and I wanna play something. With cross-buy/play, you can basically have another little gaming PC that your kids (and yourself) can enjoy. At least that's how I think about it.

Carlisle

Perhaps they will finally talk about their plans for PC gaming on Windows 10.
We know they are going to offer a service similar to Steam, but they say it somehow won't be Games For Windows Live v2.0.

Will they talk about streaming Windows 10 games on Xbox One...? They've hinted that they are looking into it.

Cross-Platform talk? Cross-Buy talk? Its been almost a year since Phil spoke at GDC.

This is what I expect. With Steam's momentum building it'd be an easy way to cut into that by turning the device that's already in several million homes into a PC streaming machine. I think we could even see a standalone streamer with the X1 interface and native controller support.

RdN

Weird.

Pretty sure Phil Spencer said just a few days ago on Twitter that they won't hold anything until E3.

Bizzquik

Perhaps they will finally talk about their plans for PC gaming on Windows 10.
We know they are going to offer a service similar to Steam, but they say it somehow won't be Games For Windows Live v2.0.

We do?
I thought it was just the windows 10 store

Fair point.
According to this article here, its basically about using the Xbox brand across every available Windows 10 device.

So the service, I guess, is Xbox on PC - with purchases coming from the Windows 10 Store.
This is something that is already out now (as you seem to point out). But if they really are going to do Cross-Buy and Cross-Play....they need to beef it up some, me thinks.

Is there any chance they will go into detail on the XB1 getting DVR functionality for tv? That's really the only feature i'm missing. I think last they said it would be some time this year?????

LewieP

Can't wait to hear about how extremely committed to PC gaming they are but for some reason continue to not release any of the proper Halo games on PC, and keep many of their other big games as Xbox only.

Also anticipating them compounding this by continuing to talk about how easy it is to port Xbox games to Windows 10.

Just sounds like a press event to play their upcoming Spring games and have the outlets post impressions. They did the same thing in San Francisco last year and had press there to play Screamride, State of Decay, Ori, ect. I wouldn't really expect much new announcements except maybe some dates for indies like Cuphead, Below, Pit People, and Inside which they might want to demo there also

krang

Can't wait to hear about how extremely committed to PC gaming they are but for some reason continue to not release any of the proper Halo games on PC, and keep many of their other big games as Xbox only.

Also anticipating them compounding this by continuing to talk about how easy it is to port Xbox games to Windows 10.

Well you really are quite the resident Debbie Downer, aren't you?!

Synth

You mean like when Apple puts most employees at their events that clap at everything? I don't like when companies put their employees at events that should be for another audience. I heard at the Surfacebook event is was more regular people (including press) that was clapping at stuff than employees, but I agree.

Surface Book was one of those moments where you definitely didn't need to bring in people to clap for you.

Well, sure, but Apple's is not nearly as cringe worthy.

It's probably just far more believable for the press to be acting like employees in Apple's case. :p

LewieP

Well you really are quite the resident Debbie Downer, aren't you?!

I was optimistic about Microsoft's commitment to PC gaming about a decade ago. For a long time now it's been on them to prove they actually mean anything when they talk about PC gaming.

They have made a small number of half-hearted moves towards PC gaming recently, but until they announce some PC games that aren't F2P or rereleases of old titles, it's hard for me to care a great deal.

Chris1

I was optimistic about Microsoft's commitment to PC gaming about a decade ago. For a long time now it's been on them to prove they actually mean anything when they talk about PC gaming.

They have made a small number of half-hearted moves towards PC gaming recently, but until they announce some PC games that aren't F2P or rereleases of old titles, it's hard for me to care a great deal.

You mean like Recore?
You mean like Sea of Thieves?
You mean like Ori and the Blind forest?
You mean like Killer Instinct (it hardly counts as F2P, lets be honest)?
You mean like Halo Wars 2?

Nope none of them matter, give us Halo so we can complain about only bringing over one franchise!

Pffft, you bring us those games to pc and expect us to play them on your platform? HA, no thanks MS - Steam or go home!

It's a loss loss for MS really, I really don't know why they even bother half the time.

Sydle

Sea of Thieves, ReCore, CupHead, and Halo Wars 2 plus KI, Ori DE, Fable Legends, Gears Ultimate, and Gigantic seems like a decent start to me.

I feel like everything announced this coming E3 will be announced for both Xbox One and Windows 10. I think it's just a matter of time before Forza and Halo make the transition.

Granjinha

ReCore? Sea of Thieves? KI?

I mean, they could do better, but those don't fit in your description. :p

Jerm411

Doubt we'll see anything on Sea of Thieves...that's probably E3, hope we do though. Man I hope that game makes 2016.

Release dates for Below and Cuphead would be awesome...

Synth

You mean "until they give me Halo 5"...

Them taking PC seriously is not the same as them not having anything to distinguish the console. That'd be not taking the console seriously. Sea of Thieves isn't a rerelease or a F2P title (seemingly at least so far), neither is ReCore, neither is Halo Wars 2, nor are games like Cuphead, Ashen etc. Killer Instinct despite it's model is easily equivalent to any other game in its genre (and roughly the same price bought in bulk).

That link is cute and all... but they've already shown far more in regards to Windows 10 gaming than warrants a comparison. The only worthwhile comparison at this point would be the start of GFW where we were seeing PC ports of games like Shadowrun, Gears, Viva Pinata etc... and at that point, they were taking PC gaming seriously... the market simply didn't like what "seriously" meant at that time (i.e. the pros and cons of console gaming). Now there's less cons... but there'll natural also be less pros because console gaming is still driving their revenue.

You wanna pay an XBL subscription on PC... then they'd probably be happy to release absolutely everything day and date with the console version. But not doing so does not equate to not taking PC gaming seriously... they've got a shitload more lined up than Valve (especially if you want to rule out f2p), or just about any other company that supposedly takes the platform seriously today.

teraMEL0S

More PC games, please! I love using my One, but the appeal of better performance is always a nice option for those who can invest in a good PC.

etta

my hard graphic balls
You mean "until they give me Halo 5"...

Them taking PC seriously is not the same as them not having anything to distinguish the console. That'd be not taking the console seriously. Sea of Thieves isn't a rerelease or a F2P title (seemingly at least so far), neither is ReCore, neither is Halo Wars 2, nor are games like Cuphead, Ashen etc. Killer Instinct despite it's model is easily equivalent to any other game in its genre (and roughly the same price bought in bulk).

That link is cute and all... but they've already shown far more in regards to Windows 10 gaming than warrants a comparison. The only worthwhile comparison at this point would be the start of GFW where we were seeing PC ports of games like Shadowrun, Gears, Viva Pinata etc... and at that point, they were taking PC gaming seriously... the market simply didn't like what "seriously" meant at that time (i.e. the pros and cons of console gaming). Now there's less cons... but there'll natural also be less pros because console gaming is still driving their revenue.

You wanna pay an XBL subscription on PC... then they'd probably be happy to release absolutely everything day and date with the console version. But not doing so does not equate to not taking PC gaming seriously... they've got a shitload more lined up than Valve (especially if you want to rule out f2p), or just about any other company that supposedly takes the platform seriously today.
Yea, I mean, Microsoft is publishing six games in the year 2016 on PC. Seven with Fable Legends.
That's a pretty good start. I'm sure there's a few more down the pipeline for 2016 but have yet to be announced.

M52B28

Banned
Well, it's in San Francisco, so maybe I'll go for the hell of it.

SF Bay Gaf, is there a meeting in the making for this?

NVM... Invite only.. That sucks.

deadman69

not expecting any new pc announcements. maybe a screenshot or gameplay of the games they've announced already but not much.

Juanfp

Now the narrative for MS release games to PC is changing to like the one that only AAA holiday big seller release counts.

Calling it right now:

- Unified platform/store announcement. Ms has ported the Game OS VM from xbone to PC, and thus every single xbone game is available digitally thought the windows store, with cross buy and play.
- The game OS handles resolution and framerate seamlessly from the game, so on Pc they can all support higher resolutions and framerate. Ms will also allow devs to update the store entry individually so the Pc version can be an actual PC port.
- 360 games will also be available, in a similar fashion. Higher resolution and framerate when playing on PC.
- As will XBLIG games!
- Mouse/Keyboard support on xbone, as well the opposite way, all window store games and apps will make their way to xbone
- Phil will announce that now that gaming for Ms is a single push they are able to gather more investments in game development, as well can use the huge userbase to bring more games to the platform, specially from regions where xbone isn't doing so hot, followed by announcement of many games that were believe to skip xbone and now will launch too. And that their goal is to finally get to the dream platform where all games are released there!

Believe!

etta

my hard graphic balls
Calling it right now:

- Unified platform/store announcement. Ms has ported the Game OS VM from xbone to PC, and thus every single xbone game is available digitally thought the windows store, with cross buy and play.
- The game OS handles resolution and framerate seamlessly from the game, so on Pc they can all support higher resolutions and framerate. Ms will also allow devs to update the store entry individually so the Pc version can be an actual PC port.
- 360 games will also be available, in a similar fashion. Higher resolution and framerate when playing on PC.
- As will XBLIG games!
- Mouse/Keyboard support on xbone, as well the opposite way, all window store games and apps will make their way to xbone
- Phil will announce that now that gaming for Ms is a single push they are able to gather more investments in game development, as well can use the huge userbase to bring more games to the platform, specially from regions where xbone isn't doing so hot, followed by announcement of many games that were believe to skip xbone and now will launch too. And that their goal is to finally get to the dream platform where all games are released there!

Believe!
tumblr_m7jl2nwViB1qcmbd6o8_250.gif

Bizzquik

I think you have every right to be skeptical. There are threads all over GAF about Microsoft promising to take PC gaming seriously, then not changing their ways, then stating again that they have failed to take PC gaming seriously in the past. Rinse & repeat for 11+ years now.

But I think they really are changing now. They have to - as they really want people to upgrade to Windows 10. Having a strong Windows-10-only games library can help with that. Gaming can be a trojan horse for Microsoft, giving people yet another reason to stop using Windows 7, Windows 8, or Linux.

Gaming is an important vehicle in their efforts to make people want to use Windows 10 on their computer, phone....everywhere. Finally gaming has a role in the company, which is nice. ....But Windows 10 as a gaming platform won't go anywhere unless they bring Gears of War, Forza, and Halo natively to PC gaming.

garyizraw

Banned
Predictions

Hololens and Xbox Connectivity Demo

Windows 10 store will be home for Xbox One games, Mobile games available on Xbox One (right after show)

Minecraft crossplay demo ?

Cup Head trailer

Recore trailer

Scalebound multiplayer system announcement/trailer

Quantum Break footage/ Alan Wake backwards compatibility included with game

Killer Instinct Season 3 Kim Wu reveal

New battletoads reveal

Sea of Thieves trailer

Halo 5 map pack trailer/ESPORTS

Gears 4 quick multiplayer match

New IP OR Phantom Dust news

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Phantom Dust here we come!

Phantom Dust OG Steam release. ;___; I'd cry tears of joy if that happened.

But this is Microsoft, so anything Phantom Dust news would be "lol cancelled. Fuck you guys!" ;___;

blakep267

Phantom Dust OG Steam release. ;___; I'd cry tears of joy if that happened.

But this is Microsoft, so anything Phantom Dust news would be "lol cancelled. Fuck you guys!" ;___;
Pretty sure he's referring to the ip trademark that happened recently

Helznicht

Calling it right now:

- As will XBLIG games!

Believe!

I believe this is someones dream at MS. But the bean counters will never let this kind of open platform take shape.

Top Bottom