• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to offer movies and anime for Xbox 360 in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Microsoft will offer movies and anime for paid download through the Xbox 360 starting in 2009, the Nihon Keizai Shimbun reports in its Thursday morning edition.

Different from the American market, where the 360 has seen movie and television show downloads since 2006, a similar program has yet to start for the system domestically. Microsoft's difficulties in the domestic market surrounding complex copyright issues, according to the paper.

The decision to offer media domestically came in part as a response to similar non-gaming offerings on competing platforms, the paper says. Sony began in September offering anime for rental through the PlayStation Store. The Wii will see a download service via WiiWare from Fuji Software some time this month. In addition, the Wii will also be the first recipient of a download service from major broadcasters like TBS and Fuji TV, set to start in 2009.

While the paper did not share specific details on Microsoft's download plans, it did say that the company will be working with domestic download service providers.

Source

Troidal

3 years late bitches. Better late than never I guess...oh, and it better be HD and not the SD bullshit the PSN is offering.

Defuser

I wonder if Aniplex's shows would be on Xbox market place. Would be ironic if Valkyria Chronicles anime is on the marketplace.

soco

Troidal said:
3 years late bitches. Better late than never I guess...oh, and it better be HD and not the SD bullshit the PSN is offering.

i'm guessing that's going to be up to the providers. Since MS offers HD stuff in the US, it's not really a technical issue.

Defuser said:
I wonder if Aniplex's shows would be on Xbox market place. Would be ironic if Valkyria Chronicles anime is on the marketplace.

"Aniplex Inc. (株式会社アニプレックス, Kabushiki Kaisha Anipurekkusu?), formerly known as Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) Visual Works Inc. and Sony Music Entertainment (SME) Visual Works Inc., is a Japanese anime and music production and distribution enterprise, owned by Sony Music Entertainment Japan, and established in January, 1997"

No, the overall fact of Aniplex even on the X360 would be ironic.

Although this puts an interesting predicament for Sunrise (full metal alchemist, gundam, etc) shows. Since they're usually sponsored by both Square Enix and Sony, and we all know where the two stands exactly :D...

icecream

Public Health Threat
Eternal Sleeper said:
Aren't movies from Sony on the other Marketplaces?

Nice to see it took them 3 years to restart their anime downloads. There was like 1-2 things around launch and never another word.

TJ Spyke

icecream said:
Aren't movies from Sony on the other Marketplaces?

Not on Xbox Live Marketplace. I can't find anything from Sony or studios owned by Sony (Columbia, MGM, etc.) on Microsoft's service.

Dead

well not really...yet
Eternal Sleeper said:
"Aniplex Inc. (株式会社アニプレックス, Kabushiki Kaisha Anipurekkusu?), formerly known as Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) Visual Works Inc. and Sony Music Entertainment (SME) Visual Works Inc., is a Japanese anime and music production and distribution enterprise, owned by Sony Music Entertainment Japan, and established in January, 1997"

Although this puts an interesting predicament for Sunrise (full metal alchemist, gundam, etc) shows. Since they're usually sponsored by both Square Enix and Sony, and we all know where the two stands exactly :D...
Um, afaik, Sunrise is partly owned by Bandai, they aren't officially affiliated with Sony or Square at all, despite Aniplex being involved in a few of their shows productions.

TJ Spyke

icecream said:
The Bond movies?

Nevermind, I just checked Microsoft's site and they actually already have 2 Bond movies (Goldfinger and The Living Daylights . Maybe it's because Sony owns 20% of MGM, and aren't the majority shareholders. Still, this means Sony is making money from Microsoft's service.

Does Nintendo have any say over movies featuring their characters? It would be funny to see Captain N: The Game Master (produced by DiC Animation and DVDs distributed by Shout! Factory) on the PlayStation Store or Xbox Live Marketplace.

t3nmilez

Hope you guys know that any videos available will likely be IP locked, so unless you live in Japan, you ain't watching them.

rykomatsu

Defuser said:

i would laugh pretty hard if Kannagi ep7 is a featured anime download...

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Regulus Tera said:
Pfft, La Blue Girl is tame compared to the shit Pixy is pumping out.
Damn...haven't seen any in a long ass time. :lol
You think MS will hook us up with all the new stuff in HD? ;P

Dead said:
Um, afaik, Sunrise is partly owned by Bandai, they aren't officially affiliated with Sony or Square at all, despite Aniplex being involved in a few of their shows productions.
I did say the word "sponsor" instead of "own" didn't I? :D Just saying, as you would think that they wouldn't want to piss off some of their top sponsors.

As for the part of it being ironic - The Japanese PSN store itself is already quite "average", the chance of them making their competitor's line up look better is...highly unlikely.

duckroll

Sunrise has nothing to do with Fullmetal Alchemist. It's a BONES production, distributed by Aniplex. Aniplex has no real affliation in the production of Gundam either, they just publish the soundtracks and handle some music portions of the shows. Aniplex published the soundtracks for all the Mistwalker games so far too, so I don't see any problem with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom