• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft told Pachter their E3 focus is on services over games, is this a good idea?

TriGen

Terrible idea for everyone outside US for sure.

I think the Japanese market in particular realized right away that Microsoft's model/strategy would never work for them. A lot of people just say the Xbox brand did terrible over there because of Nintendo & Sony loyalty, and that was a large part, but I think it was also Microsoft's approach to gaming that they knew would never work long-term, outside of US.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
When MS debuts their next console they'll start the war anew, but for now all they care about is extending the 360 with residuals, holdouts, and value added services.

Will they really start the war anew? With what? New apps and "value" packed features? I wonder if Microsoft will even want Duarngo referred to as a videogame console? Seems like they're more interested in providing services than making games.

TheOddOne

Typically they show any multiplatform games first so that they can then say "everything from here on out is available only on Xbox 360." But yeah, outside of that it'll be a Kinect and Live fest, and honestly I think they'll save Halo 4 for the end of the conference
because I don't think they'll have anything else noteworthy enough to finish the conference with.
Seeing as how Gametrailers promo says "world premiere of Halo 4" and 343 folk saying it will have significant presence during the show, it will not be tucked away at the end.

The last two E3 people all said there would be no surprises, but both where eventful.

Good luck!. If you haven't gotten them on by now it'll be fun trying to do so when the U releases, with more appealing games.
Will they really start the war anew? With what? New apps and "value" packed features? I wonder if Microsoft will even want Duarngo referred to as a videogame console? Seems like they're more interested in providing services than making games.
You know, we get it. No need to repeat it constantly.

injurai

Banned
It's sad to see Sony put such an effort towards first party exclusives and come out behind. Microsoft and their shitty business practices have made them a butt load by selling redundant hardware due to failure. dark dark times....

derFeef

It's sad to see Sony put such an effort towards first party exclusives and come out behind. Microsoft and their shitty business practices have made them a butt load by selling redundant hardware due to failure. dark dark times....

Oh please.

Raide

Poor Sony. They only wanted to be loved!

Antioch

Seeing as how Gametrailers promo says "world premiere of Halo 4" and 343 folk saying it will have significant presence during the show, it will not be tucked away at the end.

The last two E3 people all said there would be no surprises, but both where eventful.

Well I didn't mean like a short trailer at the end, but like a 15 minute demo, I think that would be significant enough. Also, I'm not sure to what extent you can call the 360 slim and Halo 4 reveals surprises, seeing as the 360 redesign was largely expected and aspects had been leaked beforehand, while everyone knew going into E3 2011 that 343 would have their Halo game there in some form. I don't think there's anything this year that is largely expected that could make for a big reveal at the end of the conference. It would either have to be something genuinely surprising or the Durango, neither of which seems likely at all.

Antioch

Sony... had a hard life.

TheOddOne

Well I didn't mean like a short trailer at the end, but like a 15 minute demo, I think that would be significant enough. Also, I'm not sure to what extent you can call the 360 slim and Halo 4 reveals surprises, seeing as the 360 redesign was largely expected and aspects had been leaked beforehand, while everyone knew going into E3 2011 that 343 would have their Halo game there in some form. I don't think there's anything this year that is largely expected that could make for a big reveal at the end of the conference. It would either have to be something genuinely surprising or the Durango, neither of which seems likely at all.
The slim was leaked via an advert, people at first didn't believe it but it turned out to be true ― pretty much unanimous that it was a great reveal and the best thing that stuck out of the conference.

People did know that there would be more Halo, that was a given, but suprised a lot of people by announcing a whole new trilogy.

Yopis

MS had lots of.exclusives the first years after 360 launch. Guess disk read error gets a. eternal pass. Also my 60 gig died a long time ago.

Not really. This is the maturation/end of the 360s life cycle. The race for adding gamers is over. When MS debuts their next console they'll start the war anew, but for now all they care about is extending the 360 with residuals, holdouts, and value added services.

MS has been making so much revenue, releasing just one more game would hurt them in the war? :|

Antioch

The slim was leaked via an advert, people at first didn't believe it but it turned out to be true ― pretty much unanimous that it was a great reveal and the best thing that stuck out of the conference.

People did know that there would be more Halo, that was a given, but suprised a lot of people by announcing a whole new trilogy.

True. They were both big announcements, probably bigger than people expected, but I still don't see what they could have this year that would have the same importance.

TriGen

This is part of the reason I prefer for things to be only shown at one E3 before release. I don't like that Halo was announced last E3, but this is the "world premiere". I would have much rather have one thing saved as a big deal, per E3, because last E3 having Halo officialy announced was like the biggest thing there, in my opinion. Now at this E3 it's going to be hard to over-shadow Halo, so it's going to be the biggest thing again.

I would of much rather they saved Halo this time. I felt the same way with the Wii U, it was announced last E3 but we really didn't learn that much, I prefer what Microsoft did in 05 with the 360 reveal plus launch in the same year, I wish all console and game announcements were done like that.

MS has been making so much revenue, releasing just one more game would hurt them in the war? :|

On what planet does the 360 have no games, especially not "just one more"?

MS has learned for the past two years that putting money and energy behind exclusive games isn't worth it. They put their money behind exclusive experiences (see: Kinect) and, basically, won.

Are people expecting that like seven years into the generation, someone is going to grab GTA V as an exclusive or something?

Miles X

Yeah it's a good idea. Unfortunately. Focusing on new games for the 360 this late in the cycle is useless for Microsoft, what they're doing makes perfect business sense.

But like I said, it's all unfortunate, I don't even turn my 360 on anymore.

KageMaru

It's a good idea for MS but obviously not the greatest plan for us gamers if this is true.

I honestly had hoped MS would have more to interest me than Halo, but it looks like that may not be the case. Well there's always Sony and Nintendo to also look forward to.

I think the Japanese market in particular realized right away that Microsoft's model/strategy would never work for them. A lot of people just say the Xbox brand did terrible over there because of Nintendo & Sony loyalty, and that was a large part, but I think it was also Microsoft's approach to gaming that they knew would never work long-term, outside of US.

To be fair, they did make a decent push in the japanese markets this gen. I don't think MS can do anything to win over that market for a number of factors in and out of their control.

lol people are still making posts like this? My last PS3 slim started acting up after only a year.

We all know how shitty the 360's reliability was earlier this gen, no one is giving them a free pass other than the die hard fanboys that should be ignored anyways. What's the point in harping on it now other than to troll?

strem

The Xbox can never be my multimedia hub as long as they keep all the services locked up behind a pay-wall.

Sydle

Microsoft's goal to create the best entertainment console is clear and the 360 is in a great position, so this is a smart move to focus on services and test consumer reception. Not only will they be able to create multimedia entertainment mindshare in their current install base, but they'll also be able to determine how to approach the next Xbox better, so I think it's the only smart thing to do (i.e. not doing this would be incredibly stupid considering MS's current advantages and long-term goals).

With games like Halo 4, Forza Horizon, Assassin's Creed 3, CoD, Bioshock Infinite, and GTA V there isn't really a shortage of big games over the next 12-18 months to keep gamers interested. I bet we can count on at least a handful of great XBLA games and Kinect games in that time as well.

As for the exclusives drying up it makes total sense -- if I were Microsoft and I had a new console coming out in 2013, with the Wii U already released and the possibility of launching along side a PS4, I would shift heavy resources towards creating exclusive content and services for a rolling thunder like play in that 12-24 month launch window. They need to be able to set themselves apart with unique and strong content, and with the rising cost of development in terms of time and budget they have to start years before a planned release.

Even if PS3 takes the stage with exclusives this year the battle for this gen is over -- MS won over a ton of developer support and mind share, which isn't going to magically evaporate. You can bet MS has been working hard to ensure that support will carry over to next gen for core games, Kinect games, XBLA games, services, etc.

venne

I think it's smart. Differentiation is what matters.

Everyone has good games and will have more good games this fall.

Raoh

LOL, I Remember a time when Sony got slammed for wanting to be a media machine and not having enough games.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
LOL, I Remember a time when Sony got slammed for wanting to be a media machine and not having enough games.

30577-ps3-borked-ad.jpg

Raide

Its not like MS is just launching the 360. They have hundreds and hundreds of games in their back catalogue. It just shows that MS is happy with how 360 went and they just want to settle it into the Media section so they can move on to the hardcore awesome that is the 720...hopefully. :D

ToxicAdam

Pretty sad that the end of last generation gave us one of the best years for gaming ever (2004) and this generation is fizzling into shit.

Jburton said:
MS entered this market to stop Sony owning the living room, they saw the future was a coverged device that is always online that sits under your telly.

They are putting their plan into effect, the gaming machine was a Trojan horse for MS to get a box into your living room.

^^ What this guy said.

elcranky

Banned
If elcranky isn't a viral marketer, then he's got a condition.

Practically all of his posting history is freaking out about Microsoft or Mass Effect.

You are correct sir. I do have a condition. When I see such blinding clueless, I sometimes feel the need to intervene. It's definitely a problem as there is so much temptation.

Those were some nice quotes you selected. A good selection of my attempts to enlighten folks. Other than being an antifanboy against Nintendo for ruining gaming in the eighties, I don't have a dog in the fight beyond trying to promote good things that I would like to see succeed or correct grave injustices such as the perception of the awesome Too Human which holds the honor of the best combat (berserker) of any aRPG to date for any system ever.

Other than not releasing a nextbox yet, MS has had an excellent strategy thus far. Everybody whining about no first party games just doesn't get it. MS correctly recognized that the collective creative capacity of third parties vastly outweighs their internal capacity. Therefore, they focus on their unique capabilities as the platform owner to expand the ability of the platform. They have "won" E3 every year with the media aspect, and I expect them to do so again this year since Nintendo seems to have shot themselves in the head with crippling hardward decisions (assuming the most of the rumors are in the ballpark). The sales results are the best metric to demonstrate this.

EGM1966

It's a good idea because at this point, particularly in US and UK, two key markets, services are far more likely to further broaden the appeal than more games.

It's also a bad idea for me personally because I'm this close to just selling my 360 and wrapping up my investment in MS for the generation as I barely use it now and am really only holding on to it for Halo 4 and more services won't change my mind.

bede-x

I think this suits Microsoft's goal pretty well. They don't want to take huge risks on unknown properties, they want to be the gatekeeper that decides how the future living room game/movie/app service evolves. Traditionally we've had first parties with extensive development teams, but these days companies like Valve or Apple proves that it's possible to run a service without any(or little) exclusive firstparty content.

That's what I believe Microsoft wants. To control the service, not develop the games. This is just another step in that direction.

Raoh

Its not like MS is just launching the 360. They have hundreds and hundreds of games in their back catalogue. It just shows that MS is happy with how 360 went and they just want to settle it into the Media section so they can move on to the hardcore awesome that is the 720...hopefully. :D

Same could have been said for the ps3 and was probably their thinking.

Sony has been in the living room and trying to continue to dominate for decades with receivers, tvs, game consoles, speakers and receivers, stereos, etc.

They figured they won last gen, have a backward compatible console with a huge ps1 and ps2 library, a large internal studio camp for new exclusives and figured their great relationship with third party devs would guarantee the games would come.

Time to get everyone else to use the game console for something other than games to expand the customer base.

Outside of the online strategy.

Sounds exactly like what everyone is saying ms is doing.

Boss Man

Sounds like Microsoft is spending too much time on GAF. A console that doesn't play games is NeoGaf's console of the forever.

Microsoft, unlike, say, Nintendo in 2008, is at a position where they can seemingly afford to take the core market for granted for the remainder of this generation.

I say "seemingly" because this could backfire if Nintendo makes an unexpectedly strong play for the core market with Wii U - snagging GTAV as a timed exclusive or something along those lines - but I'm not currently expecting that to happen.

Majukun

i've already decide to go with sony for the next gen..they are the only ones who manage to support always their console in the long term,even when they are in troubles..nintendo and microsoft have been very disappointing in this regard

Orca

I'm not going to judge their E3 conference until I've actually seen it. What they said weeks before it to an analyst with a penchant for letting things slip seems like it might not be the complete picture.

Cake Boss

Banned
This all reminds me too much of Nintendo this generation. Completly ignoring the hardcore market and focusing entirely on a casual market that purchases 1 game a year.And now in their stage trying to recoup that market, except MS isnt there yet and wont until their sales go down.

I worry about the next console because exclusives dont matter now as much they do to a new console thats launching and trying to build a base, seeing how their entire 1st party studios has been dismantelled, I dont know what other exclusives they could get other than Halo and Forza for next gen.

On what planet does the 360 have no games, especially not "just one more"?

MS has learned for the past two years that putting money and energy behind exclusive games isn't worth it. They put their money behind exclusive experiences (see: Kinect) and, basically, won.

Are people expecting that like seven years into the generation, someone is going to grab GTA V as an exclusive or something?

That's miserable. Thanks for the insight.

Orca

This all reminds me too much of Nintendo this generation. Completly ignoring the hardcore market and focusing entirely on a casual market that purchases 1 game a year.And now in their stage trying to recoup that market, except MS isnt there yet and wont until their sales go down.

I worry about the next console because exclusives dont matter much as they do to a console thats launching and trying to build a base, seeing how their entire 1st party studios has been dismantelled, I dont know what other exclusives they could get other than Halo and Forza for next gen.

Haven't they been adding first party studios in the last year? The guys that made Splosion Man, I think one in British Columbia. They have Ryse as an exclusive from Crytek, but that might be a next-gen one at this point.

Xater

Then I guess they are very keen on having the worst E3 press conference they ever did. I come to E3 because of games and not of shitty services. They can announce those at any time and it will be picke dup by every news outlet. Even worse, every 360 customer outside of the US can basically already say that most of these services will not work for them. That has been par for the course from MS so far.

Timbuktu

I worry about the next console because exclusives dont matter now as much they do to a new console thats launching and trying to build a base, seeing how their entire 1st party studios has been dismantelled, I dont know what other exclusives they could get other than Halo and Forza for next gen.

That's the risk i think, the console market is unique in that respect. No matter how much MS build their services on 360, this isn't the generation that is going to last forever and at some point there is going to be a 'reset' button. If you're trying to convince people to buy consoles for services then you're competing against cable and Tivo boxes and a whole lot of other things. Games are still the best exclusives to have on a console.

Owzers

It's probably going to be Sony/Nintendo for me next-gen, and then maybe Microsoft's next system down the road. I blame Sony for Microsoft not bothering with exclusives anymore, they aren't exactly afraid that Infamous and Mod Nation Racers are going to turn the tide. And Move tanking didn't exactly help Sony's image/sales in comparison to Kinect.

Top Bottom