• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft unifying PC/XB1 platforms, Phil implies Xbox moving to incremental upgrades

Every MS product has delivered what I expected. What products did you buy from MS that makes you feel this way?
A Jasper 360 that E86'd after two months. Numerous Windows versions on PC. All worked fine for me, including Vista. A handful of GFWL games. An OG Xbox (currently in storage) that has worked flawlessly other than the well-known capacitor issue which was an easy fix. Various Microsoft and 360 peripherals.

Not sure why it matters, though. Is personal experience the only foundation for making educated decisions?

vcc

Every MS product has delivered what I expected. What products did you buy from MS that makes you feel this way?

MS Exchange - I eat man hours and shit email

IIS - running a small intranet for 6 people. Yeah gonna need more hardware.

Outlook - Lets just use up 90% of memory. yeah. that's the ticket.

IE - We don't render shit like you want but you have to support us.

windows 95 - Change the drivers. oops. system is fucked.

Windows Vista - Let me move all the settings and rename all this shit

Windows 8 - I hear you like mobile, let's make your Desktop a touch-less touch screen interface.

Windows 10 - Every fucking thing you've install is highlighted as 'new' this never goes away and we disabled the registry option to turn this off because fuck you.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes I know, I have changed my mind after posting. 'Code to the metal' sounds more like a typical Manowar anthem :D
BTW: the picture looks like it was taken straight from Conan the Bavarian Penetrator, LOL

Hahaha, oh man. The 80's I tell you. So amazing in so many ways. Both good and bad.

<sigh> Even in light of the past generations, you still always have people who say "But this time is different". I dunno. Maybe I'm too jaded to care as much. I'm too enthralled with games that are instead of jumping onto the hype train of what might be.

It's a lot of investment in a product and hope by said consumer.

Same, my backlog ain't got time for that shit.

Windows 8 - I hear you like mobile, let's make your Desktop a touch-less touch screen interface.

Windows 10 - Every fucking thing you've install is highlighted as 'new' this never goes away and we disabled the registry option to turn this off because fuck you.

I lost it on the first one. So damned true, lol.

I think a lot are not old enough to experience MSFT since their inception. I love me some Windows 7 to the bone, enjoy 365 albeit a little sluggish, but yeah, let's be more grounded with expectations from them.

Sydle

Look back on how many times they committed to gaming for the PC over the last decade and then retreated. They've also talked up the whole universal app idea before, but with Windows 8 it was known as Windows Runtime. While they did eventually deliver a platform to target both the phone and desktop/tablet it took them several years after Windows 8 and WP8 launched to realize it, where by the time they finally got there nobody cared. They've since abandoned Windows Runtime and restarted the idea as UWP.

We should take into account the failures, but at the same time the company has had successes with their growing products like Surface, Windows 10, Office 365, and Azure.

The caution around gaming and the Windows Store is well justified and warranted. At the same time, for some who are perhaps more forgiving, it's an exciting, ambitious idea that's kind of fun to speculate on how they could execute it and what it could mean for Xbox fans.

Trup1aya

Funny, I feel the same way about people in this thread who think this is a good thing with no consequences and no risk of failure and no chance of being negative for current Xbox One owners nor for the XBox console brand as a whole.

I mean, you're right. The rest of us are only using our sentiment about past historical trends and Microsoft's own actions to guide our opinions. It's not like we're doing the right thing and taking their PR at face value and then making wild speculation on how this could work in the face of some glaring flaws.

Not taking PR at face value is one thing. Assigning an actual meaning to a PR statement, that is based only on the fact that you don't trust the statement, is completely irrational.

That's like saying if a suspect pleads innocent, he must be guilty. You allow for no scenario where anything other than your biased opinion is possible. The reality is that no matter what MS says or does, you are going to use it to confirm a preconceived notion.

I have no idea whether MS will find success or not with this business model. i can't say with certainty that it will be beneficial to anyone at all, though I suspect it will be. But that isn't based on my faith in their PR. I actually, predicted that MS would be making these exact plans long before any PR was issued. This was based on trends and opportunities I see in the tech industry that happen to align with their stated plans.

There's no objective way to conclude that a statement that suggests they will stay in the console industry is an indication that they intend to exit it.

vcc

Look back on how many times they committed to gaming for the PC over the last decade and then retreated. They've also talked up the whole universal app idea before, but with Windows 8 it was known as Windows Runtime. While they did eventually deliver a platform to target both the phone and desktop/tablet it took them several years after Windows 8 and WP8 launched to realize it, where by the time they finally got there nobody cared. They've since abandoned Windows Runtime and restarted the idea as UWP.

We should take into account the failures, but at the same time the company has had successes with their growing products like Surface, Windows 10, Office 365, and Azure.

The caution around gaming and the Windows Store is well justified and warranted. At the same time, for some who are perhaps more forgiving, it's an exciting, ambitious idea that's kind of fun to speculate on how they could execute it and what it could mean for Xbox fans.

That's a fair comment.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I can agree with this.

Not taking PR at face value is one thing. Assigning an actual meaning to a PR statement, that is based only on the fact that you don't trust the statement, is completely irrational.

That's like saying if a suspect pleads innocent, he must have be guilty. You allow for no scenario where anything other than your biased opinion is possible. The reality is that no matter what MS says or does, you are going to use it to confirm a preconceived notion.

I have no idea whether MS will find success or not with this business model. i can't say with certainty that it will be beneficial to anyone at all, though I suspect it will be. But that isn't based on my faith in their PR. It's based on trends I see in the tech industry that happen to align with their stated plans.

There's no objective way to conclude that a statement that suggests they will stay in the console industry is an indication that they intend to exit it.
I've commented multiple times that everything I'm saying is based on speculation. That's the purpose of this board, after all.

Really, I'm barely paying attention to what the PR itself says. It's silly to say that I'm misconstruing it or willfully misrepresenting it. If you read over my posts, there's barely a mention of "Phil just said this, but I'm betting he means this other thing."

The actual changes taking place and the direction they've been going and their actual behavior is far more interesting to me anyway. Parsing PR is silly when you have such a rich and well-documented history to base your conjecture off of.

You may not like what I'm saying, or you may find me uncharitable towards Microsoft's vision, but please don't attempt to dismiss my statements as nothing more than "assigning an actual meaning to a PR statement". I've been very straightforward and clear with all of my reasonings in this thread so far, I've been blunt but never called names, and I think I've presented far more evidence than just random interpretations of PR.

Again, I'd welcome anyone to point out how I've been harping on the words of their PR statements instead of discussing their behavior and actions. Unless you can find more than a line here or there out of the paragraphs and paragraphs of replies I've written, then it just doesn't hold water that I'm nitpicking their PR, now does it?

Crayon

Who was doing that?

Can I get a quote? I've been all up and down this thread and I didn't see anyone do that. In fact. I know noone did that. I know you're adjusting your business plan.

vcc

Who was doing that?

Can I get a quote? I've been all up and down this thread and I didn't see anyone do that. In fact. I know noone did that. I know you're adjusting your business plan.

Someone did say "If you bet on the opposite of what MS has said you'd have come out ahead now" -paraphrasing.

vcc

Pretty much.

I have no problem with 2nd, or 3rd, or even nth chances in principle, but you can't start out by completely missing the point again.

Basically, every time MS remembers that there is such a thing as PC gaming, it's because they want to use it for some other strategic goal. It's never actually about PC gaming, and that shows.

Durante is rocking the cynicism.

Helznicht

A Jasper 360 that E86'd after two months. Numerous Windows versions on PC. All worked fine for me, including Vista. A handful of GFWL games. An OG Xbox (currently in storage) that has worked flawlessly other than the well-known capacitor issue which was an easy fix. Various Microsoft and 360 peripherals.

Not sure why it matters, though. Is personal experience the only foundation for making educated decisions?

So the question was in relation to MS goading millions of people into buying a product and then dropping support for it shortly after (if you follow the chain).

None of these examples really fit that mold, in fact, some actually show support for things they should have left behind much earlier from a business perspective.

But if you guys feel these are examples of why you should not buy a MS product due to their lack of supporting their customers who bought them, well I disagree.

Examples of supporting products they sold, after they had to:

* Xbox360 RROD free extended warranty replacement
* Refunding accidental or disliked digital purchases
* Supporting Kinect development on PC with drivers and software
* Customer and technical support for OS's two generations old

The notion of "OH NO, don't buy MS product they will just drop it if its not successful" is ludicrous to me.

So the question was in relation to MS goading millions of people into buying a product and then dropping support for it shortly after (if you follow the chain).

None of these examples really fit that mold, in fact, some actually show support for things they should have left behind much earlier from a business perspective.

But if you guys feel these are examples of why you should not buy a MS product due to their lack of supporting their customers who bought them, well I disagree.

* Refunding accidental or disliked digital purchases
* Supporting Kinect development on PC with drivers and software
* Customer and technical support for OS's two generations old

The notion of "OH NO, don't buy MS product they will just drop it if its not successful" is ludicrous to me.
Strawman. Please stop.

Can't speak for others, but what I'm saying is "why, that's a marvelous plan you have there to make Xbox One a better place. It's weird how you're going about it, though. I mean, splitting development, porting your exclusives, de-emphasizing your console hardware, and talking about regular hardware upgrades? Why, it's almost like you're setting yourself up to exit the console market. At your own word, you're exiting the traditional console market, so what's a few steps further if PC ends up being as profitable as you hope?"

We are examining the veracity of Microsoft's plans and judging them against prior actions. Who is taking about Microsoft "goading millions into buying a product and then dropping support shortly thereafter?"

And in case you were serious (I hope you weren't), citing examples of products Microsoft did support doesn't make the products they didn't support vanish from history.

gamz

That "bore" is leading 2-1 worldwide, as well as 'innovation' should not restrict freedom from the end user. The consumers and market have been speaking.

It's still a bore. Come you know the PS3 fucking rocked. I adored that console. They played it safe this gen.

vcc

They ended GFWL turbulently.

OGXB died early.

Windows CE fizzled.

Zune fizzled.

Vista and ME had premature ends.

Windows 2000 also saw less support than expected.

MS is usually very business minded which requires long support timelines but every once in a while they just drop everything and flee.

gamz

That's like saying if a suspect pleads innocent, he must be guilty. You allow for no scenario where anything other than your biased opinion is possible. The reality is that no matter what MS says or does, you are going to use it to confirm a preconceived notion.

I have no idea whether MS will find success or not with this business model. i can't say with certainty that it will be beneficial to anyone at all, though I suspect it will be. But that isn't based on my faith in their PR. I actually, predicted that MS would be making these exact plans long before any PR was issued. This was based on trends and opportunities I see in the tech industry that happen to align with their stated plans.

Well said.

vcc

It's still a bore. Come you know the PS3 fucking rocked. I adored that console. They played it safe this gen.

Losing 5b does that to a corporation. Also the PS3 was 'innovative' in ways end consumers really didn't see or care about. As others pointed out, they are going ahead with PSVR, not exactly doing nothing. 'bore' would be stretching it. each of the 3 are doing something weird right now.

Crayon

comic2-555.png

I still don't understand how releasing a console every 3-4 years would be a bad thing, especially if all consoles in the family (XB1 and going forward) are capable of both backwards and forwards compatibility.

As I previously stated, throw in a decent trade-in promo and I'm all in.

If they were to update every 1-2 years, then I'd be concerned.

Can this be mandatory in every OP?

gamz

OGXB died early.

Windows CE fizzled.

Zune fizzled.

MS is usually very business minded which requires long support timelines but every once in a while they just drop everything and flee.

Whoa, whoa! Hold up!

OG - Still brought broadband to the gaming masses. Yes, it died early to get a head start on 360 which is one of the most loved consoles ever.

Zune HD - Ahead of it's time with the OLED screen and dat OS! The OS ushered in metro and that flat design is used by just about everyone now.

OGXB died early.

Windows CE fizzled.

Zune fizzled.

I don't always buy a product based necessarily on how successful I think it's going to be. I buy products, often times, simply because I know it's something I want to have. Knowing it's successful, and thus likely to receive even more support, is a plus obviously, but it isn't always that high of a consideration. Prior to Xbox 360 I had never owned an Xbox system, but knowing Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey were coming to the platform was all I ever needed to see. The 360 could have done the same exact numbers as the original Xbox after that for all I cared. I just simply had to have those games no matter what.

vcc

Whoa, whoa! Hold up!

OG - Still brought broadband to the gaming masses. Yes, it died early to get a head start on 360 which is one of the most loved consoles ever.

Zune HD - Ahead of it's time with the OLED screen and dat OS! The OS ushered in metro and that flat design is used by just about everyone now.

OG had a short gen time so folks who bought got less for their money. Zune didn't have legs and owners got shafted in the same way. Metro is not an achievement they've partially back pedaled from.

gamz

Losing 5b does that to a corporation. Also the PS3 was 'innovative' in ways end consumers really didn't see or care about. As others pointed out, they are going ahead with PSVR, not exactly doing nothing. 'bore' would be stretching it. each of the 3 are doing something weird right now.

Come on! People cared! That Blu Ray player was the best out there for a good 3 years. It was a brilliant console tech wise. LOVED IT! Built in wifi and hdmi to boot. Ahead of it's time. Give credit where it's do.

vcc

I don't always buy a product based necessarily on how successful I think it's going to be. I buy products, often times, simply because I know it's something I want to have. Knowing it's successful, and thus likely to receive even more support, is a plus obviously, but it isn't always that high of a consideration. Prior to Xbox 360 I had never owned an Xbox system, but knowing Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey were coming to the platform was all I ever needed to see. The 360 could have done the same exact numbers as the original Xbox after that for all I cared. I just simply had to have those games no matter what.

How's that hidden co processor working for you? Cloud cloud cloud?

gamz

OG had a short gen time so folks who bought got less for their money. Zune didn't have legs and owners got shafted in the same way. Metro is not an achievement they've partially back pedaled from.

Nah. Metro is a great design language that won a awards man. You may not dig it but you see it everywhere. It was bold and unique.

You are just biased.

vcc

Nah. Metro is a great design language that won a awards man. You may not dig it but you see it everywhere. It was bold and unique.

You are just biased.

I had to work with it professionally. To be fair, the backlash is what MS gets for doing anything different but there is a reason why they back tracked on it. It was a tablet interface on your desktop and folks HATED that change. So w10 went with a w7/w8 hybrid.

Bastables

You are just biased.
Focus on typography was a thing before Microsft existed, the so called Swiss movement post war for instance.
Never mind that it was driven by competition to apple's comprehensive design ascetics.

gamz

I had to work with it professionally. To be fair, the backlash is what MS gets for doing anything different but there is a reason why they back tracked on it. It was a tablet interface on your desktop and folks HATED that change. So w10 went with a w7/w8 hybrid.

I totally get it. I'm talking the design language. Windows Phone won quite a few awards and it's still a great OS. They back tracked from Windows 8 but the flat design still remains as it does for Google and Apple products. Simple and sleek.

gamz

Focus on typography was a thing before Microsft existed, the so called Swiss movement post war for instance.
Never mind that it was driven by competition to apple's comprehensive design ascetics.

Apple was more Skeuomorph. Apple's was 3D looking and literal. Metro was based on the flat simple design found on the sign on the subway thus the name metro. Flat and simple.

Remember Apple said something like they are killing Skeuomorph for a flatter design? I think it was with IO6 or 7.

Edit: Good article on it if you are interested.

dose

You're joking, right? There would have been an absolute massive shitstorm If MS had not have done anything about the RROD situation. They were forced to do something about it.

etta

my hard graphic balls
You're joking, right? There would have been an absolute massive shitstorm If MS had not have done anything about the RROD situation. They were forced to do something about it.
Not really, they could have abandoned the brand. They chose to save it. They chose to save it again in 2013 after the Xbox One reveal.
Xbox isn't going anywhere lmao.

Bastables

Apple was more Skeuomorph. Apple's was 3D looking and literal. Metro was based on the flat simple design found on the sign on the subway thus the name metro. Flat and simple.

Remember Apple said something like they are killing Skeuomorph for a flatter design? I think it was with IO6 or 7.

Edit: Good article on it if you are interested.
Lot of metro signing such as the New York subway use helvetica as a type face, a type face Apple had been using in 1984. Using modernist 50s/60s typefaces for design inspiration is literally not revolutionary when such movements are predicated on reacting to more handwritten typefaces.
It becomes much less revolutionary when it's just a re skinning of apples skumorphic touch screen interfaces.

Trup1aya

I've commented multiple times that everything I'm saying is based on speculation. That's the purpose of this board, after all.

Really, I'm barely paying attention to what the PR itself says. It's silly to say that I'm misconstruing it or willfully misrepresenting it. If you read over my posts, there's barely a mention of "Phil just said this, but I'm betting he means this other thing."

The actual changes taking place and the direction they've been going and their actual behavior is far more interesting to me anyway. Parsing PR is silly when you have such a rich and well-documented history to base your conjecture off of.

You may not like what I'm saying, or you may find me uncharitable towards Microsoft's vision, but please don't attempt to dismiss my statements as nothing more than "assigning an actual meaning to a PR statement". I've been very straightforward and clear with all of my reasonings in this thread so far, I've been blunt but never called names, and I think I've presented far more evidence than just random interpretations of PR.

Again, I'd welcome anyone to point out how I've been harping on the words of their PR statements instead of discussing their behavior and actions. Unless you can find more than a line here or there out of the paragraphs and paragraphs of replies I've written, then it just doesn't hold water that I'm nitpicking their PR, now does it?

My orininal comment was directed to the person I quoted. He and plenty of other people who have participated in this thread have used the fact that MS has used deceptive PR in the past as confirming evidence that their current statements about their future plans differ from what their plans actually are. They then label anyone who doesn't support such an improper use of deduction as someone who is falling for PR.

I haven't gone back to read anything you said, but Your rebuttals of my comment suggested that your support that line of irrational thinking.

Glad to know you actually don't... But that doesn't save this thread

My orininal comment was directed to the person I quoted. He hand plenty of other people who have participated in this thread has used the fact that MS has used deceptive PR in the past as confirming evidence that their current statements about their future plans differ from what they are saying are their plans.

I haven't gone back to read anything you said, but Your rebuttals of my comment suggested that your support that line of irrational thinking.
"I haven't been able to successfuly argue against ya, so I'll just compare you to those other irrational people that I couldn't argue against either."

Okay bud.

I don't think most people in here are basing their concern only over past PR. You're missing the narrative if you think that's the foundation for people voicing the potential negatives of this move.

Trup1aya

"I haven't been able to successfuly argue against ya, so I'll just compare you to those other irrational people that I couldn't argue against either."

Okay bud.

I don't think most people in here are basing their concern only over past PR. You're missing the narrative if you think that's the foundation for people voicing the potential negatives of this move.

I don't think I ever failed to argued against you or anyone else. We are speculating on the future, there is no right or wrong yet, and no one is changing anyone's mind.

You came to breakdown a comment that I made about other people who were actually doing the things I was critical of. I doing so, I naturally thought you were supportive of the behavior I was commenting on.

I'm not interested in arguing over whether or not PR should be the basis of anyone's argument considering PR staments are pretty much all we have to go on right now. It's the basis of everyone's argument, regardless of their stance. But I'm noticing clear attempts by people who have negative sentiments towards these developments to label others a shills, rather than people with differing opinions.

I agree with you; Most people aren't doing it. I'm also not accusing everyone in this thread of doing it. Just being critical of those who are.

But whatever, continue to mischaracterize everything I say. It's cool. Bud

gdt

I bought an XB1 around thanksgiving a few months ago. I'm so stoked that all these games are coming to PC, but now it kind of feels like I wasted money on this Xbox. MCC and Sunset OD seem like the only real things on the system worth playing (that I can't get anywhere else). Halo 5 too I guess.

My 980ti means I will of course always go for PC gaming in every case where it's available.

Trup1aya

It had nothing to do with the truth. A lie is at least related to the truth in being its opposite.

Corporations don't need to lie when its sufficient to "say a lot of things".

They point is, taking all the PR as gospel is STUPID.

Maybe Bgamer90 just misspoke or made a typo?

Or wait! Maybe he didn't reeeeeeaaaly say that. Yeah I bet your reading comprehension is messed up.

I remember that thread. I actually like the idea of forward an back compatible consoles. I just don't think Ms will actually do it. I think they are floating out vague bullshit PR as usual an a few of you Baghdad Bobs are running with the ball.

Ms is turning the ship around to get steam. It's 10 years too late and that's their preferred point of entry.

That's because Your Understanding is all derived directly from MS PR.

Denial. Anger. Bargaining. Depression. Acceptance. Xbox died today.

if this isn't blatantly being dismissive of people opinions purely because of your distrust of PR and assuming that blind trust of their PR is the basis of their opinion, then...

I dont know man. Talking to you, you often very purposely miss mine and other peoples point and the offer a rebuttal to a point you invented. This is not something he's imagining.

I guess I imagined all those quotes...

edit:

I don't think I've missed any of your points. I just disagree with them. I think you were wrong when you said MS would not make an xbox successor, as evidenced by them saying they will make xbox successors. maybe its 'PR' and they are lying, but I doubt it. beyond that, we are both speculating, and we wont know how successful this will be until it succeeds or fails.

You think MS is signaling a shift in focus away from console gamers and towards PC gamers. I believe MS is broadening their focus to include both PC gamers and console gamers.

You believe that MS is trying to transition their console audience to PC, which will only harm their licensing revenue potential as those users start to patronize 3rd party shops.1st, i dont believe MS is trying to transition their audience. I believe MS wants to meet their customers wherever they choose to play whether it be on PC or console. 2nd I don't think licensing revenue losses will be significant, because people who have preferred to play on PC probably wouldnt buy 3rd party titles on the console anyway. There's also they opportunity to offset those (what I believe to be very minor) losses with a significant increase in 1st party sales revenue.

you believe that a significant number of potential console gamers will see a reduced value proposition in the xb1. I believe that's only true for people who would consider playing on PC and using the Win10 store to play games. I don't believe that this very specific subset of Xbox gamer is very large. many people simply prefer playing on consoles, for various reasons. For people who don't have or want rigs capable of playing games like Quantum Break, or those who don't want to use the win10 store, the xb1 value proposition is unchanged.

Astery

I'm really suprised on how many of you like this, may be the mobile front has really changed your minds. I personally would just drop consoles entirely and play on PC. In fact I'm already doing that for multiplats as an increasing number of console exclusives lands on PC more than ever.

The apple model it's shaping to be is more like ipad rather than iphones, which it is in the middle of things and are dying. Making me pay more on the long term and more headaches? no thanks I have a better option: PC that does that.

Top Bottom