• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Unveiling Undisclosed Titles Week Before GDC? [Up: Seemingly Core Games]

TheOddOne

Appollowexx said:
It would be nice to see Microsoft either

a) focusing on building a handful of new first party studios by recruiting some industry talent and giving them money to realise their own projects.

b) failing that - pull a Sony and aquire one or two smaller studios that they have had a good working relationship with in the past.

Having this business model in place would certainly help them out next gen, they way it has for Sony this gen. I would have little desire outside of Blu-ray to own a ps3 if it wasn't for the bevy of quality exclusives.
These new internal studio's are known:
  • 343 Industries (Ex-Bungie, ex-Pandemic, ex-Guerillia)
  • Good Science (Ex-EA Chicago guys, worked on Gears of War 2)
  • Firebird Studios (Ex-Nintendo, ex-ACES)
  • Family studio (New, they just started recruiting)
There has been a listing in which they are focusing on sport games, dunno if that will lead to a studio.

Vorg

Banned
I'm hoping for some good downloadable arcade games at least. Give me Shadow Complex 2 next Summer of Arcade and all is forgiven.

FrankT

plagiarize said:
i'd rather gears and forza get the time they need to be good games. microsoft are realising at this point that first party exclusives aren't really that big a deal now that they've established themselves as the leading HD platform in various markets. people aren't flocking away from 360 to PS3 because of Uncharted or Killzone or Little Big Planet (and lets be honest, we're in the sequel portion so it's diminishing returns unless Last Guardian suddenly turns into a monster hit rather than a prestige title like Ico and SotC were).

so why rush any exclusives out? when throwing a bit of money for exclusive content seems to work just fine?

Rush out? No, enrich the first party platform so maybe at least a couple, no, not every other month, but say one in Feb and one in summer seems like a much better bet. They cannot even do that though because they have cut the first party to near nothing. I mean yea they will bank every time if they throw the big guns into to late Q3/Q4, but it simply looks weak from a core gamer and yea there are plenty of 3rd party games for the first 9 months, but that really isn't saying much for the platform as far as enriching it. They aren't even trying that hard on the third party front either so that point is moot as well. A piece here or there yea. I'm almost sure Sony has taken that card right out of MS pocket in the last year with the 3rd party stuff they have lined up. The halo, Gears, Fable routine is more than old and I figure they will just ride it with a AW or Crackdown here or there from here on out. Kingdoms seems like the only exception and who knows for all we know that might be one of the 2 or 3 they throw into holiday 2012 heh. E3 will be interesting, but not expecting much at all at this point. A few Kinect games(Gears Kinect hello), Forza, Halo CE remake, Kingdoms, Wake and maybe Crackdown. Loved to be wrong, but I’ll come back to this at that time and be the judge. Basically it just seems MS is riding it out for the cash at this point and suppose that will likely work for awhile.

Ultimately it is a good thing for me and my wallet though as not third party or first party much I'm even contemplating for the first 9 months and waiting is certainly better with the price drops games are seeing now a days.

They could at least let Lionhead make something besides Fable already.

Microsoft: 'This is Just the Beginning'
There is more to come, says Microsoft.
February 24, 2011 February 24, 2011 February 24, 2011
Share Level 9by Jim Reilly

Microsoft held a preview event for members of the press today to showcase several key titles slated for release in 2011. The company showed off many first-party titles, including Gears of War 3 and The Gunstringer for Kinect, as well as other third-party games, such as Batman: Arkham City.

Fans, however, may have been disappointed by the showing, since other major titles, including the heavily rumored Halo: Combat Evolved remake, were not on display. Kevin Unangst, Senior Global Director at Microsoft, told IGN there are more announcements planned for this year.

"This is just a first-look at what's coming the rest of this year," Unangst said when asked if there are more major first-party titles coming this year. "The fact that we're showing off great games like Gunstringer; the first games where we've got great developers that know how to make core games with Kinect, and now you're starting to see the result of that. This is absolutely just the beginning."

"We also hold some things back for a little event that happens later in the year," Unangst said, referring to E3 this coming June. When asked if the first-party games they'll be revealing at the event will be released this year, Unangst would only say, "You should expect we're going to have some great news at E3."

I asked Unangst to name one Xbox 360 exclusive title that people can excited for this year besides Forza 4 and Gears of War 3. Unangst said Kinect: Star Wars, which he says is "a safe assumption" that the game will be on display at E3.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/115/1151922p1.html

There is always more to come right MS. That's getting really old at this point.

Star Wars you heard it here first folks! heh

szaromir

Banned
TheOddOne said:
[*] Good Science (Ex-EA Chicago guys, worked on Gears of War 2)
Isn't that Tsunoda only though? I mean, first he ruined Def Jam then switched to MS, worked some time on GOW2 and then Kinect. Did many people actually follow him?

TheOddOne

szaromir said:
Isn't that Tsunoda only though? I mean, first he ruined Def Jam then switched to MS, worked some time on GOW2 and then Kinect. Did many people actually follow him?
Yeah, a lot of those guys went to work with him after EA Chicago got closed.

ArjanN

bangai-o said:
so many gamers act like there were no games ever released in the past 5 years "omg gathering dust etc"

This. There's dozens of great games released every year. If you only play a couple of the big hyped releases every year and complain there's not enough games coming out, that just means you're not even paying attention.

Jtyettis said:
Rush out? No, enrich the first party platform so maybe at least a couple, no, not every other month, but say one in Feb and one in summer seems like a much better bet. They cannot even do that though because they have cut the first party to near nothing. I mean yea they will bank every time if they throw the big guns into to late Q3/Q4, but it simply looks weak from a core gamer and yea there are plenty of 3rd party games for the first 9 months, but that really isn't saying much for the platform as far as enriching it. They aren't even trying that hard on the third party front either so that point is moot as well. A piece here or there yea. I'm almost sure Sony has taken that card right out of MS pocket in the last year with the 3rd party stuff they have lined up. The halo, Gears, Fable routine is more than old and I figure they will just ride it with a AW or Crackdown here or there from here on out. Kingdoms seems like the only exception and who knows for all we know that might be one of the 2 or 3 they throw into holiday 2012 heh. E3 will be interesting, but not expecting much at all at this point. A few Kinect games(Gears Kinect hello), Forza, Halo CE remake, Kingdoms, Wake and maybe Crackdown. Loved to be wrong, but I’ll come back to this at that time and be the judge. Basically it just seems MS is riding it out for the cash at this point and suppose that will likely work for awhile.

They will get away with it this gen because everything is set in stone (although they are blowing their chance to actually gain on the PS3 this year).

Next gen if they haven't gotten quite a few more 1st party studios i think they could be in trouble.

Jtyettis said:
There is always more to come right MS. That's getting really old at this point.

I'm not sure why anyone would believe it at this point. Until they announce something im going to assume they have nothing.

AdventureRacing said:
They will get away with it this gen because everything is set in stone (although they are blowing their chance to actually gain on the PS3 this year).

They will not gain on PS3 with core games, that market is pretty saturated on HD consoles and Sony is also strong in that area. They might and probably will gain on Sony with wider audience Kinect titles, but they can not afford any more slumps after this post-launch drought is finally over.

Top Bottom