• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft VR???

Romulus

I´m just assuming the launch price is the result of a plan, don´t know what´s so strange about that.

Strange? Nothing is strange about what they're doing, what is strange is what you're saying.

We're not at launch anymore. You said they're selling it at 50% of a projected price. How do you what Sony's projected price is now, in 2019, and how is it exactly 50% of that? Be specific to how you determined that.

Last edited:

lukilladog

Strange? Nothing is strange about what they're doing, what is strange is what you're saying.

We're not at launch anymore. You said they're selling it at 50% of a projected price.
I already told you what projected pricing I was referring to.

How do you what Sony's projected price is now, in 2019, and how is it exactly 50% of that? Be specific to how you determined that.
50% of the original projected price!, not 2019 price!. Is that fair?!

Last edited:

Romulus

I´m just assuming the launch price is the result of a plan, don´t know what´s so strange about that.

50% of the launch price then. How is that "projected" relate to now? Where is the source that Sony projected the PSVR to be selling for $500 in 2019 so that your 50% number makes sense.

Last edited:

lukilladog

50% of the launch price then. How is that "projected" relate to now? Where is the source that Sony projected the PSVR to be selling for $500 in 2019 so that your 50% number makes sense.

I think the price was 400 and you can get it for 200 nowadays. 50% less. Companies don´t plan price cuts years in advance, don´t be silly.

Romulus

I think the price was 400 and you can get it for 200 nowadays. 50% less. Companies don´t plan price cuts years in advance, don´t be silly.

Where is your source that Sony projected the price to be exactly 400 now, and not 350 or 300 even? You're just guessing. You have absolutely no idea or evidence what Sony projected.
VR has been a tough market even before psvr released, extremely tough. You think Sony was just oblivious to this? For you to believe that they assumed they could maintain their launch price for 2.5 years is silly.

Last edited:

lukilladog

Where is your source that Sony projected the price to be exactly 400 now, and not 350 or 300 even? You're just guessing. You have absolutely no idea or evidence what Sony projected.

I´m not claiming to know what the msrp was for 2019, I already told you I was referring to the initial msrp, and yes it´s now selling at a fraction of that. If you wanna think that the psvr is selling at 100% of some projected msrp in a pricing roadmap, that´s on you, but you have to re-think who is the one making the wild guesses.

VR has been a tough market even before psvr released, extremely tough. You think Sony was just oblivious to this? For you to believe that they assumed they could maintain their launch price for 2.5 years is silly.

What I believe is that companies want to keep their prices as steady as possible, so you can bet on sony initially hoping to keep the $400 price tag for years, just like they do with other peripherals and accesories.

Ps.- I´m still waiting for some answer on new Sony inversions in 2018 or 2019.

Last edited:

Romulus

I´m not claiming to know what the msrp was for 2019, I already told you I was referring to the initial msrp, and yes it´s now selling at a fraction of that. If you wanna think that the psvr is selling at 100% of some projected msrp in a pricing roadmap, that´s on you, but you have to re-think who is the one making the wild guesses.

What I believe is that companies want to keep their prices as steady as possible, so you can bet on sony initially hoping to keep the $400 price tag for years, just like they do with other peripherals and accesories.

You're the only one making specific claims "50%"? Don't flip it around. I simply brought up the fact that Sony could have projected a price cut. Sony's not some random forum poster that ignores the history of peripherals, especially VR headsets that shown to have a small install base and just believe they can maintain 100% MSRP for years lol. Makes absolutely no sense.
Even if they thought within 2.5 years that they would drop the price to $375 or 350 that makes your 50% number wrong, and that was my point, how did you get to that number? The answer is you pulled it from thin air to add weight to your previous point.

Neither of us I know what the projected price is, but you took it upon yourself to make an assumption based on what? History? Of what, console VR? The virtual boy? There's no such thing as a console add on VR, this was uncharted territory and part of my point. Oh sure, console attachments don't work, and VR haven't worked either, yep it'll stay $400!

WTF?

You say console peripherals stay at the same price for years. Name one recently that has stayed at 100% of its MSRP for 2.5 years. Kinect? Eye Toy? 32X and Sega CD fro back in the day? Where is this long history of devices maintaining these launch pricetags? I mean, by the way you talk ALL of them should. Some of the ones I mentioned were dead in 2.5 years, much less maintaining the launch MSRP. I mean, what are you even talking about? I'm just waiting for the moment when one of your points makes sense. I want it to happen.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Now I might buy an Xbox depending on if their VR games are on PC. I'm sure they will.
They wont have a separate VR platform for PC and Xbox. Windows Mixed Reality is their VR platform and it can also play Steam VR games.

HP said:
Developed in collaboration with Valve and Microsoft, the next gen HP VR headset delivers a more immersive, comfortable and compatible experience than the previous generation. It’s the new standard in VR.
BTS-1920.jpg

Last edited:

CobraAB

I think that eventually, Xbox devices will be compatible with some mainstream VR devices, but I don't think MS is working on a branded Xbox VR headset and I am glad they aren't. They need to continue shoring up all of the other issues first. Stay focused MS, stay focused...

Like Kinect eh?

Gargus

Banned
Yeah, just wondering because when Sony released the VR I just did not think it will have last this long in the game. Which I never got a chance to sit down and enjoy it like the people that currently own it. Just was curious. Thanks for the reply

I figured it would last a long time. Far as vr goes it performs fairly well and the entry price is quite reasonable. Sony and other developers have kept a steady stream of vr games coming out for it from little gimmicky fun cheap games to bigger full games. Big companies like namco and capcom go in on the psvr action so.

I love my psvr because it let's me play with vr stuff without any hassle at a reasonable price. Although my interest in it is small so it suits me fine.

Three

Why wouldn't next XBOX handle Rift and Vive? it should be powerful enough.
Remember when everyone (including MS) was saying that the xbox One X would get VR support? Remember how everyone was baffled at how this would work on the original xbox one since they said all games would work on both?

It's bullshit. It's because they don't have the install base that a peripheral like that would get good software support on. It's really that simple. When you don't have a big install base and that install base is further diminished by requiring an expensive peripheral you can't financially support it with software.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
As stated multiple times in the thread, they have a VR platform(which is not associated with Xbox) and some games were also released on it. They just have not (yet) made hardware for it(its just 3rd party hardware) or invested in bringing games specifically for the platform. They are already invested in VR, they just have to enter the market.

Top Bottom