• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft VR???

Calibos

I think that eventually, Xbox devices will be compatible with some mainstream VR devices, but I don't think MS is working on a branded Xbox VR headset and I am glad they aren't. They need to continue shoring up all of the other issues first. Stay focused MS, stay focused...

ricanelite

Yeah, just wondering because when Sony released the VR I just did not think it will have last this long in the game. Which I never got a chance to sit down and enjoy it like the people that currently own it. Just was curious. Thanks for the reply

Last edited:
Xbox will have VR, yes. Phil Spencer has talked about this and wants it to happen with wireless headsets:

People often think they have no interest in VR when they actually have quite a lot of R&D going into the space:

Microsoft also have 7 Windows Mixed Reality headsets for PC including one that is releasing next month. They have HoloLens as well, which is part of the same immersive computing spectrum and so it overlaps into the field of VR. The goal is to eventually have a device that does both VR and AR rather than just one of the two.

Last edited:
once the industry matures enough MS will throw their hat into the ring. i'll bet a bajillion guns that they have been working on VR prototypes for years.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
once the industry matures enough MS will throw their hat into the ring. i'll bet a bajillion guns that they have been working on VR prototypes for years.

This. Don’t expect Microsoft to be a pioneer. It is still very early for VR tech. Plus with the cash MS has, I would wait it out and buy someone like Pimax.

Do you ever think Microsoft will release anything similar to the Sony VR? Or has there been any talks about it

Microsoft will not have VR. Many threads on it.

But Sony, Switch, and in the future, Stadia, will have VR.

Also Oculus Go brand new BR experience as well.

Microsoft is going for xcloud right now to try and fight off digital streaming as that's the big hot thing right now not VR.

Tumle

Microsoft is going for xcloud right now to try and fight off digital streaming as that's the big hot thing right now not VR.
STADIA?!? Are you kidding?
You know you need low latency in VR to not make it a vomit comet and unless google has managed to break the theory of relativity it’s never going to happen with stadia..

Romulus

Did you watch the Phil Spencer interview? Do you think he's just lying?

lukilladog

Nahh, unlike Sony they were able to pull the plug soon enough. And sony will soon get tired of selling their set at 50% discount and on top of that, getting so much negative feedback for talking about psvr games.

Last edited:

Romulus

Nahh, unlike Sony they were able to pull the plug soon enough.

I don't think Sony is unhappy though. They're investing more and more in VR games, just like Vive, and especially Oculus is coming with new headsets and AAA games, even after the "failure" people like to talk about it. Why are they reinvesting? They could easily just drop out, but no, they're coming with new hardware. High software attach rate is what keeps these companies coming back to VR.
I think Mircosoft would have trouble with VR exclusives. How would they develop those when their Xbox exclusives aren't up to par this gen. When you consider the games you can play on PC that are on Xbox, PSVR has an exclusive lineup that I don't want to make an opinion on versus Xbox one. But its really surprising considering its only been out a little over 2 years.

Last edited:
Nahh, unlike Sony they were able to pull the plug soon enough. And sony will soon get tired of selling their set at 50% discount and on top of that, getting so much negative feedback for talking about psvr games.
Negative feedback isn't exactly new. Sony are smart enough to know their opinions don't matter as these people complain about everything and are just background noise. If Sony wants to listen to feedback, they use the data from their customers who bought the stuff.

If Microsoft has pulled the plug, why can I still get Windows MR headsets, and why is another one coming out next month?

Last edited:
Never say never. But they’ve content development issues to address elsewhere.

Any product they drive would cost them out of pocket to proactively publish third parties’ projects, because they appear more suited to having their 1st party stable buttress their core offerings.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
After Kinect’s failures, if you remember, M$ was all in on virtual movement, virtual reality gaming so you do have to wonder if they’re watching Sony testing it’s VR waters and the other Pc players (vive, oculus) and M$ can say “you know what, VR can sell let’s go all-in” and they could give us a legitimate console vr experience *stops dreaming*

Fbh

Rather than developing their own headset I see MS working with Oculus or Vive (or some other company I'm unaware of) to make one or several of their devices compatible.
And then they'll offer a VR gamepass (and obviously an option to pay a bit more for regular gamepass and have it include VR).

IMO it's what makes the most sense given their new service based focus

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned

How much are those tinted troll glasses? Some of the funny troll responses never get Tiring lol

Gamernyc78

Banned
With tht failed Xbox one launch and kinect dropping like a rock it just made sense for them to wait it out. Every single game company has some type of R&D in VR you can bet that Sony just had the balls and drive to push it at this point, the same way they were years ahead in streaming. Microsoft will do so when it is feasible to do so and won't hit their profit margins.

lukilladog

I don't think Sony is unhappy though. They're investing more and more in VR games, just like Vive, and especially Oculus is coming with new headsets and AAA games, even after the "failure" people like to talk about it. Why are they reinvesting? They could easily just drop out, but no, they're coming with new hardware. High software attach rate is what keeps these companies coming back to VR.
I think Mircosoft would have trouble with VR exclusives. How would they develop those when their Xbox exclusives aren't up to par this gen. When you consider the games you can play on PC that are on Xbox, PSVR has an exclusive lineup that I don't want to make an opinion on versus Xbox one. But its really surprising considering its only been out a little over 2 years.

What inversions have sony recently made, like in 2018 or 2019?. As for the new Oculus, there is obviously a clear change of strategy motivated by poor sales. And as for sotware attach rate, the median price of psvr games is very low and the amount of psvr users is very small as a platform, don´t know how much longer this can be sustained. As for microsoft, it´s evident they pulled the plug, is it because they got overwhelmed by the psvr game catalog?, I doubt it.

Gamernyc78

Banned
What inversions have sony recently made, like in 2018 or 2019?. As for the new Oculus, there is obviously a clear change of strategy motivated by poor sales. And as for sotware attach rate, the median price of psvr games is very low and the amount of psvr users is very small as a platform, don´t know how much longer this can be sustained. As for microsoft, it´s evident they pulled the plug, is it because they got overwhelmed by the psvr game catalog?, I doubt it.

You have a specific paradigm and narrative your pushing. You don't know what Sony is happy or not happy with. Ppl like you were the same ones that thought Sony by now would have dropped VR and they haven't. Quite the opposite they had a whole mini show basically dedicated to it the other day. PSVR cannot be doing that bad.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
They have invested a lot in VR, they have just not put it on Xbox yet. They are literally porting windows inside their VR platform.

Ofcourse, people here still believe that they will do it only when it's big(well I guess it fits into their narrative, where the companies they don't like are all evil).
Just because they have not released a shiny product to the consumer does not mean they are not invested in it.

lukilladog

How much are those tinted troll glasses? Some of the funny troll responses never get Tiring lol

I see those two points as legitimate red lights for sony, how is that trolling?.

Negative feedback isn't exactly new. Sony are smart enough to know their opinions don't matter as these people complain about everything and are just background noise. If Sony wants to listen to feedback, they use the data from their customers who bought the stuff.

If Microsoft has pulled the plug, why can I still get Windows MR headsets, and why is another one coming out next month?

Mixed reality isn´t xbox VR, as for the downvotes it´s obvious this isn´t gonna make into their statistical analysis or anything lol, but if they are struggling to keep their VR plans going internally (as the 50% price cut might suggest), this ain´t gonna help at all.

What change of strategy? Standalone was the main goal 5 years ago. They always intended to do standalones + PC headsets.

lukilladog

You have a specific paradigm and narrative your pushing. You don't know what Sony is happy or not happy with. Ppl like you were the same ones that thought Sony by now would have dropped VR and they haven't. Quite the opposite they had a whole mini show basically dedicated to it the other day. PSVR cannot be doing that bad.

People like me would know sony is good at keeping their stuff on life support.

Romulus

Um, where did I say MS was overwhelmed by PSVR's library? It has nothing to do with that and you twisted my point to mold your own.
MS problem's problem is standing out and getting into a new market with VR. It's on them, not sony. They can't even do it on the console side though, so it doesn't make sense to start something else now.

It's not just Oculus coming out with new hardware though, Vive just came out with another headset too. Are you suggesting they have the same strategy as Oculus? That's a new one. Poor sales=new hardware. It's across the board with the big three, Did you watch the recent State of Play? When did Sony ever push the Vita like that for example? And Oculus not only has two next headsets coming but also AAA studios, just like PSVR. Sony is already hinting about next-generation VR as well. None of this above sounds like pulling the plug.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
People like me would know sony is good at keeping their stuff on life support.

Good at life support? We all knew Vita was getting killed off in the U.S. way before it did in Asia. They killed it fast enough, that received no life support. That situation isn't comparable to the PSVR situation now. Sony has a record of still supporting hardware with healthy sales Ala ps3 continued support well into the PS4 life cycle.

lukilladog

Good at life support? We all knew Vita was getting killed off in the U.S. way before it did in Asia. They killed it fast enough, that received no life support. That situation isn't comparable to the PSVR situation now. Sony has a record of still supporting hardware with healthy sales Ala ps3 continued support well into the PS4 life cycle.

They kept it going as long as they could where they could, despite everybody knowing it was condemned, similar thing with xperia, lost 1 billion in 1 year, still going... with psvr, it obviously takes committment and effort to keep selling the thing at 50% of the projected price, sorry but it´s not a good scenario.

Romulus

with psvr, it obviously takes committment and effort to keep selling the thing at 50% of the projected price, sorry but it´s not a good scenario.

Be specific with the word projected here. What exactly do you mean and how did you come to the determination of what Sony's "projected" price is in 2019?

My take? You have no idea, you're just comparing the price now to the launch price to add weight to your point. Prove me wrong.

Last edited:

Romulus

Nobody is making money on VR yet and there is no prospects for it.

But why are second and third iterations of headsets still coming out/planned if there's no money being made? Why are AAA studios investing in it? I guess they're just playing the long game(20+ years) for the hell of it?

Last edited:
Nobody is making money on VR yet and there is no prospects for it.
There is still some money being made, so you can't say there is no profit at all.

This is normal for a growing industry, and if you look at where the R&D is, you will know that we're only several years away from having drastic changes in hardware. The appeal and reach of VR can only increase with these improvements.

Last edited:

lukilladog

That's how all consumer-oriented products work. Everything is a matter of tradeoffs.

I agree, but tradeoffs will kill VR faster imo.

Be specific with the word projected here. What exactly do you mean and how did you come to the determination of what Sony's "projected" price is in 2019?

My take? You have no idea, you're just comparing the price now to the launch price to add weight to your point. Prove me wrong.

I think there was no projected price for 2019 and the determining factors for price reductions are competence and sales stimulation. Companies are about maximizing profits, there was no competence from ms and nintendo, so the cut had to come from slow sales. Sony told their shareholders that VR growth was lower than expected, so it fits well.

Gamernyc78

Banned
They kept it going as long as they could where they could, despite everybody knowing it was condemned, similar thing with xperia, lost 1 billion in 1 year, still going... with psvr, it obviously takes committment and effort to keep selling the thing at 50% of the projected price, sorry but it´s not a good scenario.

Every company does "as long as they could" sorry your analyst card is revoked your not saying much. I responded to your "life support" claim with facts. I see your one of those ppl tht never can be wrong. Enjoy tht bubble.

lukilladog

Every company does "as long as they could" sorry your analyst card is revoked your not saying much. I responded to your "life support" claim with facts. I see your one of those ppl tht never can be wrong. Enjoy tht bubble.

You lost focus pretty quick, it doesn´t even matter if the psvr is in life support or not, is not relevant to the point I was making, which was about why "people like me" who think that sony is way too prideful, wouldn´t dare to predict that sony would drop the psvr anytime soon.

But if you are interested in predictions, I think that sony is gonna pretend that psvr is still a thing until they finally admit that they have no more plans somewhere between 1 or 2 years after the ps5 launches.

Romulus

I think there was no projected price for 2019 and the determining factors for price reductions are competence and sales stimulation. Companies are about maximizing profits, there was no competence from ms and nintendo, so the cut had to come from slow sales. Sony told their shareholders that VR growth was lower than expected, so it fits well.

But you said specifically 50% of projection, how exactly did you determine that, specifically?

Gamernyc78

Banned
You lost focus pretty quick, it doesn´t even matter if the psvr is in life support or not, is not relevant to the point I was making, which was about why "people like me" who think that sony is way too prideful, wouldn´t dare to predict that sony would drop the psvr anytime soon.

But if you are interested in predictions, I think that sony is gonna pretend that psvr is still a thing until they finally admit that they have no more plans somewhere between 1 or 2 years after the ps5 launches.

That's not what you said. Convo is over, your delusional at this point. The hypocrisy is real "lost focus" (looks back at initial claim lol).

Top Bottom