• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft wants to buy Metal Gear license from Konami

MGS is so associated with PlayStation in both mindshare and sales that I can’t see Konami selling it or making it exclusive to Xbox. Multiplatform would make more sense.

It would be a big deal for MS, but bad for the franchise. See Tomb Raider.

All this goes against what KatharsisT has been saying anyway.
Tomb Raider sold well, Square is just a poorly managed inefficient company in terms of operating costs for games. But yeah, it would have sold more if MP, you know like every other game lol.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That is more the question of whether they can profit to the point where they don't want to sell their IPs. I mean, if you have a house that cost 500k, and somebody comes to you and say that they are willing to buy it for 1kk. Will you think about whether you can profit 1kk in the future or will you decide to cash out?

Its not that simple. Metal Gear isn't a house, its a brand. One they have profited from in the past and continue to do so.
You need to ask, what about Konami's existing properties in the franchise, what happens with them going forwards? Can they remaster them? Can they continue selling them even?

It's not just A game, its a lot of them and significant part of their gaming businesses portfolio of franchises. Meaning that were they to divest this franchise, what would be next? And after that what would happen to the value of their other franchises left behind if they decided to abandon that side of their business entirely?

There's very little upside, and its legally-speaking a mess to unravel. Its why this sort of IP transferral (almost ?) never happens without the original owner going bust.

Bridges

MGS is so associated with PlayStation in both mindshare and sales that I can’t see Konami selling it
But why would Konami care about this if the check is high enough? They'd theoretically be giving up future sales anyway so it wouldn't be their problem.

Either way, I don't see this happening, I'm sure Microsoft wants to buy lots of things but that doesn't mean they're gonna get to, a good recent example being Discord.

Its not that simple. Metal Gear isn't a house, its a brand. One they have profited from in the past and continue to do so.
How much money do you think they earned on it and how much time it would take for them earn 500 mil. from that?
You need to ask, what about Konami's existing properties in the franchise, what happens with them going forwards? Can they remaster them? Can they continue selling them even?
Konami themselves won't do anything. At most they will try licensing but the question is always how much they can profit from that. It is all about price in the end.

Last edited:

Tmack

How much money do you think they earned on it and how much time it would take for them earn 500 mil. from that?

The awnser is simple, a mere couple years ago someone would come up with the same argument asking "Why Konami wont sell it for 100 mil?"

Prices are going UP and going UP fast... Franchises like MGS have a lot of money making potention and that`s not only from games.

Roxkis_ii

I don't want anymore Metal Gear games. Games aren't the same when the people behind it change, as we can see with MG survival, and Halo. Plus I don't really trust any MS studio to make a good Metal Gear.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Konami are worth $5b. They can afford to buy stock from any publicly traded company.
You can't just buy/get a great deal on some huge amount of stock all at once though, that's not how the stock market works. If you want $100 million in Microsoft stock, you can't just buy that at market price easily.

Dabaus

Banned
Tomb Raider sold well, Square is just a poorly managed inefficient company in terms of operating costs for games. But yeah, it would have sold more if MP, you know like every other game lol.
This is an absolute bold faced lie. When the timed xbox tomb raider came out back in 2014? (2015?) it was the worst selling AAA game of the month. In fact it was so bad it wanst in the top 10 NPD of that november. Exclusive AAA games dont help xbox, they just sucked into the black hole that is xbox and carry the stigma associated with it. See star ocean, ace combat, and all the other jrps from the 360 era.

Edit: Im reviewing the thread on its release and it may not have even made the top 20.

Last edited:
Konami are worth $5b. They can afford to buy stock from any publicly traded company.
Now that you mentioned their market cap with that market cap you can imagine how long does it take to earn like 500 mil. dollars. Their entire revenue was 2.5 bn $ with profits around 300 mil. $ USD for the whole 2020 I think. How much time do you think it would take them to get their entire yearly revenue in cash if MS decides to buy it? And If MS offers more? It is all about price. 7.5 for zenimax is for 7 studios and IPs. Konami's IP will easily get around 1 bil.

How much do you think Sony paid for the movie rights?
No idea. I wonder though if they purchased the rights or just paid for the license.

Last edited:

Tmack

You can't just buy/get a great deal on some huge amount of stock all at once though, that's not how the stock market works. If you want $100 million in Microsoft stock, you can't just buy that at market price easily.

Not for most complanies, but for microsoft 100 mi in shares isnt that hard.... thats less that 0,01% of their shares.

Son why are you pulling $500m for the IP out your ass and talking about it like its an accurate valuation?
I just brought the example using Konami's earnings. You talked about "how big Metal Gear IP is", "cannot be bought" or whatever, I brought you the hard evaluation. We can easily compare it to Zenimax to estimate the rough price actually.

Zenimax cost 7.5 bn with 7 studios, and IPs - mainly big one Doom, Quake, TES, Fallout, Wolfenstein. Now we take Konami and they own only IPs. How much money would it take for them to cash out? That's the question. I estimated around 500 mil. or maybe 1 bn. But if MS throws money around - you never know.

For example LOTR cost around 250 mil. for Amazon right? I believe Metal Gear is much smaller than LOTR so Sony probably paid around 100 mil. for movie rights for example. I am not sure if Amazon fully owns LOTR or not though.

It is funny how SE Japanese branch is managed better than european branch, while for Sega it is vice versa

Last edited:
This is an absolute bold faced lie. When the timed xbox tomb raider came out back in 2014? (2015?) it was the worst selling AAA game of the month. In fact it was so bad it wanst in the top 10 NPD of that november. Exclusive AAA games dont help xbox, they just sucked into the black hole that is xbox and carry the stigma associated with it. See star ocean, ace combat, and all the other jrps from the 360 era.

Edit: Im reviewing the thread on its release and it may not have even made the top 20.

Great that it didn't make it in the top 20 for the month.

Issue is the actual WHOLE PERIOD it was exclusive it sold decent. You can't use on month and then pretend the game stopped selling. Again, yeah if it was MP it would have sold better, like every other game.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Not for most complanies, but for microsoft 100 mi in shares isnt that hard.... thats less that 0,01% of their shares.
I'm not saying you can't; but you'd be paying top dollar for that many shares at once. You'd get more for the value of what you have to sell w/ a stock transaction directly from MS.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This just reads as, "Konami is willing to sell MGS license. Could Microsoft be interested?"

It just seems like a really dodgy rumour to me, for two very big reasons:

1. Sony are readying to shoot a Metal Gear movie. Doesn't this show a significant interest in the IP? And that being the case why would Konami want to sell it now, when its likely to reinvigorate the franchise?

2. You can bet your ass that Kojima would be interested in a MG movie and equally be disinterested in a MG game! He spent years trying to escape the franchise, so why would he want to re-involve himself at this point when he's finally free?

The whole idea is absurd. If Kojima wanted to do an ersatz MG game, the template has already been set by Igarashi and Bloodstained! He doesn't need the IP because his name is always going to be associated with Metal Gear anyway.

So, Kojima is supposedly going to go to the opposition in terms of the people making a MG movie, possibly jeopardizing that in the process, to get back to game series he spent a decade trying to get away from? Yeah... riiiiiiiiight!

Top Bottom