• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: "We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics"

Smart choice. Puts Sony in sort of an awkward position, though; the PS4 will need to sell quite well for companies to feel it's worth their time to spend considerable resources upgrading the PS4 version.

Not really, think of it like activating some additional higher settings on PC versions of games. PS4 architecture should enable easy enhancements.

Smart choice. Puts Sony in sort of an awkward position, though; the PS4 will need to sell quite well for companies to feel it's worth their time to spend considerable resources upgrading the PS4 version.

other than the way they transfer data between their components, architecture is fairly similar, I don't think it'd take that much time to make the PS4 version run a bit better.

matt05891

The most powerful platform has NEVER, I repeat NEVER, sold the most consoles in a generation.

All the same, PS4 is probably a fair bit more powerful given that MS were so cagey about the 8GB of RAM and revealed no GPU or CPU clock speeds, features etc.

And given most titles the majority buy are third-party anyway so the developers develop the game for at least both of these systems. Just as what happened with PS3 being more powerful then Xbox.

Edit: I am disappointed in what Microsoft has done generally but I don't think making it as powerful as the PS4 would change much until it's much further into the consoles life cycle. I do wish they put that money into the specs then the fucking Kinect though... much better investment.

KAL2006

Banned
If Sony feel MS can undercut them on price they can easily have a SKU without PSEye. PSEye doesn't seem as integral to the experience as Kinect 2 is. Things like autologin and recognising where you are in splitscreen are features anyone can live without. In fact I bet that is one of Sony trump cards, selling a cheap PS4 without PSEye and 320GB for much cheaper than X1. And they can have their premium SKU with PSEye and 500GB match X1 price.

Opiate

Not really, think of it like activating some additional higher settings on PC versions of games. PS4 architecture should enable easy enhancements.

On the contrary, think of it like the PC getting significantly sub-optimal ports because very few companies wanted to take the time to really flesh out the PC version.

other than the way they transfer data between their components, architecture is fairly similar, I don't think it'd take that much time to make the PS4 version run a bit better.

It shouldn't have taken much time to make servicable PC ports from the 360, either. And look how many failed.

Brashnir

On the contrary, think of it like the PC getting significantly sub-optimal ports because very few companies wanted to take the time to really flesh out the PC version.

It will most likely be small things like AA, and maybe the PS4 version running at full 1080p while the X1 version is some messed up resolution like 1280x1080. Sort of like we saw with PS2 and Xbox, only the difference is smaller.

Kunan

The price is still going to be expensive because of that stupid Kinect. They didnt target the highest end because they couldn't afford to. Also mandatory instalations means a mandatory HDD. What a crock.
Then there's the fact that they may go with crazily over-priced proprietary hard drives again, which you will fill quickly with bluray games.

Pezking

Cool. I hope the price reflects that.

xboxone3du1t.jpg

Opiate

It will most likely be small things like AA, and maybe the PS4 version running at full 1080p while the X1 version is some messed up resolution like 1280x1080. Sort of like we saw with PS2 and Xbox, only the difference is smaller.

Yes, this is what I would guess. Maybe a better frame rate and better AA.

If you expect games to take advantage of richer textures or higher poly counts, you'll probably be disappointed.

Spongebob

Banned
I don't know how many times I said in the reveal hype thread that MS's focus won't require them to release a beast console.

So many people eating crow right now...

Coxswain

Given development time / cost it's stupid to even consider it.

1-2 year hardware revisions are never happening in the console space.

I don't think that it's likely to happen, but it's not completely out of the realm of possibility.

It's important to remember that a hypothetical scenario where they release a new version of the hardware every 1-2 years is not the same as releasing a new console every 1-2 years. Presumably, games would be required to be written for a software layer rather than specific hardware (as it's done on iOS and the PC), so that every piece of software is 'forward-compatible' with every future revision - including ones that aren't even in the pipeline until after the game has shipped.

I think that would actually be a really smart direction to take consoles in, since it would indirectly discourage developers from over-investing in extravagant, top-tier cutting edge graphics (after all, there's no sense busting your balls trying to be the prettiest princess at the ball if people are going to be able to come in six months later and one-up you with half the effort, by making use of more powerful hardware), and it would directly encourage developers to make every effort to rein in their game's visuals and budget (as you would want to develop for the lowest spec possible in order to have the largest potential customer base).

Again I don't think it's particularly likely that Microsoft is planning to actually do this (particularly since everything about Xbox One seems so fucking stupid that I can't believe they'd be that clever), but I definitely don't think it's an absurd impossibility.

i-Lo

It shouldn't have taken much time to make servicable PC ports from the 360, either. And look how many failed.

Looking at some of games that ran better on 360 compared to PS3, did they take a long time as well?

Neither one of the console is going for the highest end anything, instead relying on customizing to eke out of the most from their respective base hardware. PS4 just happens to be somewhat better and that'll be reflected in 1st party offerings at least.

I am failing to see your reason for making it look like a wasted effort, esp. in light of how old the VGleaks documents were to show off each company's intent.

Sanctuary

I guess there won't be massive graphical gap between it and the WiiU after all.

Why do people insist on saying things like this? I have yet to see a single game on the Wii U that actually looks better than anything on the PS3 or 360. I have yet to see a game that's on par graphically to those systems that doesn't suffer framerate issues.

This isn't a "fanboy" response either, as I own all three of the systems and I don't regret my purchase of the Wii U (yet).

Subtle

Hm. I think it can be quite successful even if weaker. I find it pretty comical people are writing off already.

commedieu

Banned
Its not all about how much it costs, its more about how much less itll cost than the ps4.

It needs to be 100$ less at the very least, or else they're in trouble imo.

Hmm... i think you may have stumbled upon their strategy dude. If this turned out to be true, and they just went with meh-hardware, they would technically make more on every console sold than the over-invested architecture of the PS4.

We should save this post.

If Sony feel MS can undercut them on price they can easily have a SKU without PSEye. PSEye doesn't seem as integral to the experience as Kinect 2 is. Things like autologin and recognising where you are in splitscreen are features anyone can live without. In fact I bet that is one of Sony trump cards, selling a cheap PS4 without PSEye and 320GB for much cheaper than X1. And they can have their premium SKU with PSEye and 500GB match X1 price.

Hmm, maybe. Although I don't think Kinect 2.0 costs as much as 1.8/8GB GDDR5. Sony may be able to make it happen if they're willing to lose money on the box.

Computer

Everyone is so quick to bash Xbox on this forum. Sony does not have a very powerful system just as Microsoft. All I here out of Sony fan boys is GDDR 5. Hey guess what people when it comes to GDDR 3 and GDDR 5 your not going to tell a difference. As a matter of fact DDR3 is better ram for gaming what a shocker! I feel Xbox won the battle. They showed a slick OS that is quick and limitless it also plays games that look just a good as the beloved PS4. They also said upfront that this day is about what the console can do. E3 is for games. Did everyone miss that memo?

Everyone is so quick to bash Xbox on this forum. Sony does not have a very powerful system just as Microsoft. All I here out of Sony fan boys is GDDR 5. Hey guess what people when it comes to GDDR 3 and GDDR 5 your not going to tell a difference. As a matter of fact DDR3 is better ram for gaming what a shocker! I feel Xbox won the battle. They showed a slick OS that is quick and limitless it also plays games that look just a good as the beloved PS4. They also said upfront that this day is about what the console can do. E3 is for games. Did everyone miss that memo?

It is!? hahaha

i-Lo

Your just so full of misinformation I just cant....

And no, Sony's isn't the most uberpowerful machine out there, it's just more powerful than XB1.

As for refuting the rest, too much effort is required.

I think "cheap console' means 'expensive kinect.' Which if you're like me... you don't give a shit about.

Also MS is supposedly moneyhatting many exclusives. Ya'll are crazy if you don't think you're paying for that one way or another.

Rumors have been a $500 price point. If it's that and the ps4 is $400... the xbone is going to have the worst launch ever. It can recover, Sony did with the PS3, Nintendo did with the 3DS. But it's hard to see anything but total disaster for the launch.

p3tran

Banned
i wait 3 years for fucking microsoft to bring out a new fucking console,
and its a drm-infested dud!! (shakes fist)

dat salt.

AzaK

Guess this takes the pressure off Nintendo and the Wii U somewhat.

Shit no. This was the first reveal of the console before the big gaming show so we know they weren't going to show all their games. Wii U did a sad reveal at E3, followed by silence, followed by another sad E3 and an appalling launch with no follow up games.

MS would have to come out at tell you that it's $799 and all games are played via Kinect to be worse than Nintendo so far.

and that 20 bucks saved will easily overcome the $100 more expensive ram in ps4...

Most accurate first post ever. Skimp out on the hardware better reflect have affordable prices. Don't go $349 on us like Nintendo did.

this thing is like, 8 times as powerful as the wii u. pretty sure it isn't going to be cheaper.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Do we have any actual evidence that the PS4 has any advantage in power whatsoever over the Xbox One?

Power draw means nothing because as we've seen with PC over the years that more performance doesn't mean it uses more power.

USC-fan

Banned
Who is the guy talking and how do we get him fired?

So please tell me why you couldn't gone for both?

Do we have any actual evidence that the PS4 has any advantage in power whatsoever over the Xbox One?
Its not even a question at this point. The ps4 is more powerful. MS has shit the bed.

Well, that's part of the problem. The other part is it seems the central philosophy of Xbox One is not for me, it's clearly for someone else.

For me is this. The no games is not really the problem.

Is the whole concept that dosn't really does it for me. And then there's all that No used games + connecting each 24hr.

Seanspeed

Banned
From the Forza trailer, it seems pretty clear its still a large visual upgrade over current-gen, even taking into account its just an in-game cinematic trailer(for example, it looks just as good, if not better than the Drive Club trailer). PS4 will most likely have the edge again, but I dont think the difference in graphics capability between the two will be worlds apart or anything.

pmVozSe.jpg

Top Bottom