• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: "We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics"

This gif is so true :'(

no_and_noy-2htre5.gif

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm really not surprised by this in the slightest. Anyone who thought otherwise wasn't paying attention to sales and the last few E3s. MS didn't think they needed the power to be successful.

The game looking even more scripted than your usual COD game was the most disappointing thing.

There was an intro a fire fight and then a scripted sequence at the end. Seemed fairly standard. Battlefield 4 reveal was far, far more scripted. I think to little was shown to make a judgement, but the dev actually said it was going to be more open. I hope that will be the case.

Dysun: I was talking about Shadow Fall. Ghost looked unimpressive to me, especially after the facial tech they demonstrated a month ago...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Is your lack of argument admitting there wasn't that much of a difference?

Do you honestly think the average consumer is going to be able to tell the difference?

I'm an enthusiast, not an average consumer. And I don't have a horse in the race, other than wanting the best gaming consoles possible. I fail to see how the average consumers are relevant in this conversation, or why you brought it up. Unless you are saying that you are the average consumer.

If so, we have very little in common.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Looks like they're taking the Nintendo route actually, only with Kinect instead of the gamepad.

No. MS are clearly pitching Xbox One as the machine that you're going to put in the center of your media world. It will control your TV, your films, your music etc... and play some games.

Nintendo have pitched WiiU as a gaming system. Not a media system.

Amir0x

Banned
I gotta say, Microsoft is really helping me out. I already am tight on cash with wedding preparations, and they obviously really don't want me getting the Xbox One. They keep spelling it out! What a weird world... 360 was my favorite console last-gen up until Kinect released, and now I don't even desire an Xbox One at all.

Oh how the winds of time blow

netBuff

Any chance 3rd party games just won't take advantage of ps4 hardware because of this?

They will take advantage of the additional power, but maybe not to the fullest extent (as multi-platform titles rarely do).

Last generation, the Xbox did get plenty of significantly improved Playstation 2 ports.

The Xbox team comments during the after-show pretty much confirm 1,2 TFLOPS for the One, which means the PS4 is going to lead with a sizeable 50% advantage & faster memory.

Unfortunately, it also didn't look all that hot in that trailer.

All they confirmed was the 768 operations per cycle(12CU).
Not that the clock is changed given how bad the presentation was and the avoiding the set in stone specs.

Any chance 3rd party games just won't take advantage of ps4 hardware because of this?

The improvements will be superfluous. They wont have to change a lot of code to gather a huge improvement, and some or much of the code might work with less hiccups or chugs without many changes at all, depending on how invasive the api is

Xavien

How?

The new Xbox is still at least able to crunch out 4-5 times the ops/sec the Xbox 360 is, and with some 2-3x the work done per op as well.

And yet CoD doesn't look much different than current gen.

Its more powerful to be sure, but lets face it, not enough to really make much difference.

It doesn't really matter to me because i have a high-end gaming PC, but this is all terribly amusing.

Well I am not a techi but 5 billion transistors sounds a lot if you start looking around what hardware they can have. Well, they can count in more than the CPU and the GPU but what can these numbers be for the other stuff. GTX 680 has 3.5 billions transistors. A medium PC CPU 1.5 billon transistors or maybe lower. Plus the Xbox one will have power from the cloud. Help me

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I gotta say, Microsoft is really helping me out. I already am tight on cash with wedding preparations, and they obviously really don't want me getting the Xbox One. They keep spelling it out! What a weird world... 360 was my favorite console last-gen up until Kinect released, and now I don't even desire an Xbox One at all.

Oh how the winds of time blow

This reveal was clearly not aimed at the core gamer. Hopefully they will resolve that at E3.

EDIT. Why am I trying to change your mind. I'm disappointed as well.

Arkage

Banned
I think a lot of people are missing the point when they say "The best selling system never had the best specs!" I don't give a shit what sells the best (my Vita and Wii U can attest to that), I want to buy the system that provides me the most value. Tech specs are the bread and butter of value when constructing a system.

This thread is specifically about the value the company is giving you for the money you pay. Assuming their price points are equal betweeen it and XB1, PS4 wins for me for obvious reasons.

Its more powerful to be sure, but lets face it, not enough to really make much difference.

And tell me, do you believe itll look different on a ps4?

This reveal was clearly not aimed at the core gamer. Hopefully they will resolve that at E3.

Ya im thinking this too. If e3 is all entertainment then yes, itll be very disappointing. But look, its an xbox. There will be games. I think everyone expected way too much out of today.

That's mostly due to the artists working on it. The CoD team has never been graphical darlings.

There's actual work that has to be done to make it look better. Just remember the beginning of this gen and the "Xbox games in HD" comments. Most of GAF were agreed in that the Wii would have games that look the same as the 360 and PS3 except in SD instead of HD.

Sydle

I'm an enthusiast, not an average consumer. And I don't have a horse in the race, other than wanting the best gaming consoles possible. I fail to see how the average consumers are relevant in this conversation, or why you brought it up. Unless you are saying that you are the average consumer.

If so, we have very little in common.

Did you pay attention today at all? Microsoft specifically stated they are making an all-on-one entertainment box. They've been saying for years how they want to broaden their appeal to reach more consumers, a notion which the article that this very thread is based upon reinforces.

The average consumer, of which there are far more of than gaming enthusiasts who care about RAM type and TFLOPs, are relevant to this conversation.

Tex117

Banned
Well, MS is probably banking on being able to money bag third party support where the developers will make them the same across all platforms while chargnign less for the X1 than Sony.

That said, they may have undercut too far and the "gamers" will go to Sony anyway. Thus starting the swing in Sony's favor.

Gamers are still gamers. Gamers buy consoles to play games.

That is where this is.

Well, MS is probably banking on being able to money bag third party support where the developers will make them the same across all platforms while chargnign less for the X1 than Sony.

That said, they may have undercut too far and the "gamers" will go to Sony anyway. Thus starting the swing in Sony's favor.

Gamers are still gamers. Gamers buy consoles to play games.

That is where this is.

There are still games on the Xbox right?

If it was all about Power, we know PS3 was more powerful than the 360 too.

Amir0x

Banned

Well, that's part of the problem. The other part is it seems the central philosophy of Xbox One is not for me, it's clearly for someone else.

Top Bottom