• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: "We're no longer just competing with console companies"

gryz

Banned
i feel like MS is largely responsible for the current sad state of the game industry now, so I'd be happy if they move on.

Iacobellis

I mean the future is really interesting to me. The reason I keep my 360 still is because all my friends are on it, and you still get completely garbage ports of 3rd party games to the PS3 (see: DmC).

Sony has really been doing interesting stuff in terms of first and second party games, and if they continue to do that, they make a good online ecosystem, and 3rd party games aren't hot garbage on the thing (which rumors point to the PS4 have a more standard hardware set, so they likely won't be), then it has the huge advantage of having all those 3rd party games the Nextbox has, and also amazing first party games to boot.

I mean, to get a little honest here, I'm an Xbox guy. For some reason, I've always loved the brand that MS has put out there, since the beginning of the first Xbox. Don't get me wrong, I don't care if they're more successful than Sony or Nintendo, but I want to see the brand do well, because I quite frankly like the brand. I think the reasons I liked the original Xbox so much is kind of gone with the 360 though...I don't know if it was by design, or if developers were limited by the PS2 and Gamecube, but I LOVED all the exclusives on the Xbox, especially 2nd party ones. I loved KOTOR, Jade Empire, Fable, Rainbow Six, Halo, Panzer Dragoon, Splinter Cell, and a lot of other games on the thing. It just was a fantastic console in my eyes; I owned a PS2 and Gamecube before it, but I just really loved the Xbox.

With all that said, it's kind of sad to see Microsoft care less and less about exclusives on the thing, and people always argue "yeah, but there's so many 3rd party games out these days, who cares?" Understood, but if I can get all those 3rd party games on the PS4 as well, and I can get Last of Us 2, and a boatload of new IP's, as a guy who likes to game a lot, why the hell wouldn't I pick up a PS4? You know what I mean?

I'm in the same boat as you. I bought a 360 after owning a PS3 for a couple years because all of my friends had one. Xbox Live was miles ahead of PSN, and Uncharted 2 wasn't even out yet. PS3 was just getting on its feet. If Sony can pull another PS2 in terms of pricing and software support out of the gate, then sign me up to buy a PS4. I already have a Vita to accompany it!

abadguy

Banned
Eh? I'm not happy with that direction.bLike I'm totally cool if they want to market it as a multimedia device, but the fact they are trying to detach the Xbox brand from the video game industry... I will have to see how this is gonna play out. MS has the best shot at pulling something like this off.

I read the OP and i am not seeing how they are attempting to "detach" themselves from the game industry at all.

That's why they're "fans". At least some have provided explanations of why they did not consider it a "failure". What about yourself?

I was just going by the amount of money they lost,$4 billion I think. The amount of xboxs sold and the system's life time being cut short.

If that happened to Sony or Nintendo and their fans were saying "its all part of the plan" it would sound just as weird.

Crawl

Translation: Copy everything apple does and rename it 'Xbox (item name)' and bury competition on windows 8 by putting your storefront as the most integral part of the of most widely used computing platform in the world.

kitzkozan

As mostly a xbox guy (bought xbox 1 and 360 at launch) i will definitely switch camps next gen. MS and their vision just doesn`t do it for me anymore.

Same for me, I'm this close to completely tuning out MS. I miss the first half of the 360 before it found mainstream success with the kinect.

The saddest thing is that they got complacent and lazy to the point where PS+ is now superior to xbox live. Although Sony worked hard to improve their premium service, the fact remain that MS regressed with live. These days, deal and discount won't go over 50% while you could get 75 or 80% discount even last year. -_-

DocSeuss

Same for me, but we already knew that Xbox is becoming more and more a media hub and less a videogame console.

It's not really about the Xbox for me. They've got a bunch of divisions working on core games for the Xbox, and their leaked roadmap indicates they'll be beefing up their core games support.

It's the stupid focus on connectivity/online/service-oriented games that's upsetting me. Major Nelson tweeted earlier today about the Steam sale, and my reply to that was "sorry, but the Microsoft games I want are things like Age of Empires 2, Impossible Creatures, and Halo." And it's true. I want those kind of experiences from Microsoft again. At the time, they were some of the best games in existence.

Brera

Banned
Is this the same Phil Harrison that was at Sony and Atari?
The man really gets around.

I'm guessing MS was his aim all along but the betraylton would have killed his career.

Also, I don't think MS will be able to jump from dudebros to mainstream.., dudebros are more profitable...why would you want to give them up? They spent shitloads and are the holy grail for most companies...mainstream audiences are stingy.

gryz

Banned
Translation: Copy everything apple does and rename it 'Xbox (item name)' and bury competition on windows 8 by putting your storefront as the most integral part of the of most widely used computing platform in the world.

one of the shopping centers near me has a microsoft store and an apple store across from each other, the stores are indistinguishable from each other except for the MS or Apple logo on the front.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

As opposed to all the competition there is selling stuff on Xbox at the moment...

ehhh... I don't get it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I just want my game console to be a game console. :-(

gaming_noob

I was just going by the amount of money they lost,$4 billion I think. The amount of xboxs sold and the system's life time being cut short.

If that happened to Sony or Nintendo and their fans were saying "its all part of the plan" it would sound just as weird.

They entered the market one year after the PS2, which was already wildly popular, and next to the Gamecube that was coming off of the successful N64, as a newcomer. It still outsold the Gamecube in the end. Continuing down the road of competing against the PS2 would've lost them more money..they essentially had to release a next gen console to differentiate itself. I wouldn't call it a success nor failure...Xbox 1 was the necessary groundwork for its successors.

legend166

I just find it funny that Microsoft spent billions up billions to get into the console space because they thought that Sony would be a huge threat to their dominance in the OS space.

And yet they both got beat by a company which clearly has no idea how to make operating systems, and then paid no attention as their real competitors (Apple and Google) completely dominated the phone and tablet market, something which Microsoft should have had a competitive advantage in.

Talk about a misread of the market.

I'd be happy if they took Xbox Live gold as it is now and turned it into a subscription for their set top box.

Than give free online gaming with the nextbox

Maztorre

We think of Microsoft as now being a devices and services company.

Most important quote in the article. Solidifies their shift in self-image from primarily a desktop OS company to the Apple style of proprietary devices with proprietary software/services.

I think as MS shifts out of the "classic" open desktop OS model towards walled gardens, someone (Google?) is going to make a play at filling that gap and will likely start pulling in the enthusiast PC gaming market and potentially business/enterprise. If the next xbox succeeds I think they'll accelerate the closing off of Windows and move everything through their store if they think the long term profit will outweigh the negative reaction/abandonment from business/games.

gryz

Banned
I just find it funny that Microsoft spent billions up billions to get into the console space because they thought that Sony would be a huge threat to their dominance in the OS space.

And yet they both got beat by a company which clearly has no idea how to make operating systems, and then paid no attention as their real competitors (Apple and Google) completely dominated the phone and tablet market, something which Microsoft should have had a competitive advantage in.

Talk about a misread of the market.

XBOX to me feels like the embodiment of the cynical corporate cash grab, "those videogame guys are making money, we want money too, keep dumping money from our infinite cash reserves into this "xbox" until we kill all the competitors and get all the money". Sure every company is guilty of this to some extent, but when you think of Sony or Nintendo you think of visionaries like Kutaragi and Miyamoto with loftier goals, who is the MS visionary?

Yeah man it sucks that I can watch movies on Netflix, tv shows on Hulu Plus, sports games on ESPN, listen to music, etc. etc. :-(

Ha, yep. While I don't agree with everything they do after 2 minutes of learning "the Fall update" I'm back to getting to everything I need within seconds.

I like an everything box. I remember my setup when I was younger ... VCR, DVD, and who knows what else all in a 10 tier shelf, looked like a display at Best Buy or something.

alphaNoid

Banned
Sounds like the console I want. I game less and less on my console and use it more and more for consuming content, and media. Movies, music, TV are all a part of my Xbox experience these days. I still game a ton on it, but consoles need to be more these days.. consumers expect more from their electronics these days and expect for value for their money.

In the era of smartphones, the idea that consumers in large are willing to continue to support an industry that is centered around static gaming boxes with limited services is just downright lunacy. I know some here on GAF are die hard in their opinions, but the fact is we are being breed out as consumers. With each passing year, more and more kids enter the market. These kids are growing up in a world connected to everything. Some of them have probably owned more smartphones than many of you here. They demand more from their consoles, their parents demand more.. Times aren't changing, they changed long ago.

Nintendo MiiVerse, Sony PSN.. both are trying to catch Live, an infrastructure that is 10 years old now, with improvements added along the way. Live in essence is trying to now keep up or stay ahead of the smartphone market. I suspect MS is going to interlink Windows 8, Windows Phone 8 and Xbox 8 (heh) on a level that neither Google, Apple, Sony nor Nintendo has the capability of doing. Years ago, back in 2006 MS talked about "Live Anywhere" a vision of unifying all 3 of these platforms into one seemless service. We are very, very close to that happening now so I fully expect a next gen Xbox to integrate transparently with Win8 and WinPhone 8. Matter of fact, they will tout this feature at launch.

In the end, I can't speak for others tastes.. to each his own. But as a 30 something year old gamer now and head of the household.. I expect MORE from my console in 2013. If the next Xbox or Playstation cannot even service up the same feature for feature content that my smartphone can.. its dead on arrival and failure out the gate. Early adopters will support anything, lets be honest.. but the success of these console cycles comes later in the generation, later in the cycle when development costs are drastically reduced and you have a large established install base. Surely a Xbox 8 or Playstation 4 will sell great out of the gate ... but the question is ... if MS or Sony doesn't innovate, and push the console limits to keep up with the tech industry will those console sales sustain for another 5-10 years?

I don't think so. And as a consumer I want 1 device under my TV. I want that device to play the latest games, I want access to movies, music, television and more. I want integrated social networking and I want this device to be built with the future in mind, with 2016, 2017 and beyond ... in mind. This box needs to have the overhead to sustain growth in services over the next decade to keep up with other hardware platforms on shorter refresh cycles.

Change or die if you ask me.

Raven77

Confirmed Durango leak says differently.

Unconfirmed but heavily believed to be legit due to legal action, yet still not official. Also, 2-3 years old, plans change in business...A LOT so take everything in that document with an enormous grain of salt, confirmed or not.

XBOX to me feels like the embodiment of the cynical corporate cash grab, "those videogame guys are making money, we want money too, keep dumping money from our infinite cash reserves into this "xbox" until we kill all the competitors and get all the money". Sure every company is guilty of this to some extent, but when you think of Sony or Nintendo you think of visionaries like Kutaragi and Miyamoto with loftier goals, who is the MS visionary?

Bill Gates made billions and is now giving billions away to charitable causes in order to save lives and prevent diseases. Ken and Shiggy have goals that lofty? Here's the secret: they're all doing it for the money.

Slide4.jpg

Slide7.jpg

We Know!

They couldn't even get Nintendo's logo correct.

Gorillaz

Huh....This is going to be interesting.

Either MS will have what they always wanted...Complete living room control
Or...

Sony might make a comeback at launch.

this is interesting

GavinGT

Banned

Back in 2000, Microsoft had (and still does have) tons of money just sitting around. Investors were clamoring for them to do something with it. They were also concerned that Sony was taking over the living room with Playstation, and that the PC and the living room would eventually converge, squeezing Microsoft out of its most lucrative market. It's true that Nintendo or Sony couldn't easily swallow a $4 billion loss, but Microsoft can. Microsoft said back when the first Xbox launched that they didn't expect to turn an overall profit until their third hardware generation. They knew this was a relentless, cutthroat market. So far, the Xbox platform has gone exactly according to plan.

Izick

Align with them in what way exactly? Like for the OS and online infrastructure, or what? That would definitely be interesting. There used to be like monthly rumbles that Chrome would land on the PS3 and replace the stock browser.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Align with them in what way exactly? Like for the OS and online infrastructure, or what? That would definitely be interesting. There used to be like monthly rumbles that Chrome would land on the PS3 and replace the stock browser.

I think the idea is PS4 becomes a Google TV. Sony already make some devices that run it.

GavinGT

Banned

It doesn't make sense to me. I don't see why Sony would be so willing to pay someone else to provide such infrastructure when they're already so heavily invested in doing it themselves.

With the laws of diminishing returns in effect with graphical output it makes sense to differentiate your console with services and devices. Personally, I have no problem with that. I look forward to this industry evolving. In my opinion, the traditional core gaming output is getting really stale.

edit -

Sony has some of the best hardware in the world, Google has some of the best software. Seems like a perfect match.

I've never understood the love Sony's console hardware has gotten. I mean, the PS3 is pretty ridiculous.

Top Bottom