• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: "We're no longer just competing with console companies"

Iacobellis

Phil Harrison left Sony to focus on entertainment, and not games? I'm leaving Microsoft and going back to Sony next gen the way things are going.

GavinGT

Banned
TRANSLATION: "The follow up to the 360 will be an underpowered gimmicky-control ridden turd."

I don't think there's any indication that their next console will be underpowered. I also think a new Kinect with actual utility for core games has a lot of promise.

Izick

Honestly, as long as I can get a refined 360 controller, and a console with enough horsepower to keep up with the PS4 so that my ports are close, then I'm good. I just want to see what the next games on these things look like. I don't care about Kinect or Smartglass right now, and I won't until I see them make things on those things that are really attractive to me, then I will definitely be excited, but for now, I'm fine with just a more powerful 360 with a slightly refined controller.

Izick

qGMb1.jpg

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Starting to seem to me that MS are about to fall into the exact same pitfall that Sony did at the start of this generation. The mistaken belief that gamers are just going to follow them because they did in the previous generation.

Totally wrong because they need to EARN that buy-in from core gamers and use that as a basis to drive wider adoption through fan evangelism. Everything that's been rumoured suggests to me that they think they can skip this first-step and go direct to the mass-market using general media/set-top-box functionality as the primary driver.

XAL

Microsoft lost billions once it was all said and done.

Financial failure on the hardware alone, sure, but take into account the start of Xbox Live (advertising and marketplace content) and solidifying their brand-name for the next console cycle...not a total failure at all.

Miles X

Hmm, not sure how true that is today but perhaps in the future yeah.

I still think consoles are selling fantastic given what year of the generation we're in.

abadguy

Banned
Microsoft lost billions once it was all said and done.

They also got their foot in the door of the gaming industry and the xbox became a household name, when it just as easily could have been the next 3DO.

Same for me, but we already knew that Xbox is becoming more and more a media hub and less a videogame console.

News to me. I do most of my gaming on my 360, and all of my Netflix/Hulu on my PS3 along with gaming. At no point has the 360 ever felt like less of a games console for me.

Iacobellis

Financial failure on the hardware, but take into account the start of Xbox Live and solidifying their brand for the next console cycle...not a total failure.

But could it just be how the console was marketed? It seemed more for the teen and young adult crowd. They didn't have as many family friendly games like Sony and Nintendo did, and even the dashboard wasn't very inviting. Their premier title was an M rated shooter, where Nintendo had Mario, Zelda, etc. and Sony had Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, and a plethora of third party titles.

I knew this was their plan but does this mean the next Xbox is not going to focus on games? I always was a Nintendo/Sony guy but I'm thinking about a little change up and being Nintendo/Microsoft this gen.

I think you'll see it continue the way it is now. They will continue to expand their media offerings while cultivating a good third party selection of games.

XAL

But could it just be how the console was marketed? It seemed more for the teen and young adult crowd. They didn't have as many family friendly games like Sony and Nintendo did, and even the dashboard wasn't very inviting. Their premier title was an M rated shooter, where Nintendo had Mario, Zelda, etc. and Sony had Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, and a plethora of third party titles.

True. It also had the graphics advantage, and shortly after the fast growing online console gaming crowd.

they got themselves into a not very profitable market....

wat

Iacobellis

True. It also had the graphics advantage, and shortly after the growing online console gaming crowd.

True, they also introduced industry standards like a hard drive for storage and music ripping capabilities. Xbox LIVE was way ahead of its time, where a lot of people still had dialup and DSL was the norm.

Now that I think about it, Microsoft doesn't seem to get all the credit they should for this.

Cake Boss

Banned
We have know this for the past few years when the company spends most of its time at E3 discussing movie/sport apps on Live than the actual games, plus their 1st party output has been very slim since 2010.

True, they also introduced industry standards like a hard drive for storage and music ripping capabilities. Xbox LIVE was way ahead of its time, where a lot of people still had dialup and DSL was the norm.

Now that I think about it, Microsoft doesn't seem to get all the credit they should for this.

xbox live is the best thing that MS has going for it. Look at the mess that Nintendo created for the Wii U and the elegance of Xbox live is even more impressive.

ASIS

Eh? I'm not happy with that direction.bLike I'm totally cool if they want to market it as a multimedia device, but the fact they are trying to detach the Xbox brand from the video game industry... I will have to see how this is gonna play out. MS has the best shot at pulling something like this off.

Iacobellis

xbox live is the best thing that MS has going for it. Look at the mess that Nintendo created for the Wii U and the elegance of Xbox live is even more impressive.

It's a real deal breaker that we have to pay $60 for the service, with services like Steam that offer the same functionality are free. Not to mention, PSN is slowly catching up, and the only paid portion is the optional PS+.

Izick

I mean the future is really interesting to me. The reason I keep my 360 still is because all my friends are on it, and you still get completely garbage ports of 3rd party games to the PS3 (see: DmC).

Sony has really been doing interesting stuff in terms of first and second party games, and if they continue to do that, they make a good online ecosystem, and 3rd party games aren't hot garbage on the thing (which rumors point to the PS4 have a more standard hardware set, so they likely won't be), then it has the huge advantage of having all those 3rd party games the Nextbox has, and also amazing first party games to boot.

I mean, to get a little honest here, I'm an Xbox guy. For some reason, I've always loved the brand that MS has put out there, since the beginning of the first Xbox. Don't get me wrong, I don't care if they're more successful than Sony or Nintendo, but I want to see the brand do well, because I quite frankly like the brand. I think the reasons I liked the original Xbox so much is kind of gone with the 360 though...I don't know if it was by design, or if developers were limited by the PS2 and Gamecube, but I LOVED all the exclusives on the Xbox, especially 2nd party ones. I loved KOTOR, Jade Empire, Fable, Rainbow Six, Halo, Panzer Dragoon, Splinter Cell, and a lot of other games on the thing. It just was a fantastic console in my eyes; I owned a PS2 and Gamecube before it, but I just really loved the Xbox.

With all that said, it's kind of sad to see Microsoft care less and less about exclusives on the thing, and people always argue "yeah, but there's so many 3rd party games out these days, who cares?" Understood, but if I can get all those 3rd party games on the PS4 as well, and I can get Last of Us 2, and a boatload of new IP's, as a guy who likes to game a lot, why the hell wouldn't I pick up a PS4? You know what I mean?

Top Bottom