• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft will ‘show the world what’s next’ at May 23rd event in Shanghai

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
if you don't mind the size and weight (15.6" and 4.4 lbs), Yoga 720 is much better: Quad core i7 7700HQ + GTX 1050M + 4K Wacom AES screen + 16GB of RAM + 512GB NVMe = $1299. Destroys a Surface Book frankly.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...b-ssd-platinum-silver/5722755.p?skuId=5722755

I agree, specs wise that Lenovo kills the SB. But I think looking at quality and design choices I fell in love with the SB. Just looking for a good deal so I can reorder..

it's still a great laptop...i'm genuinely impressed by it after a few months.

The best addition MS could make would be for the Surface Book keyboard to be usable when detached (like the Vaio Canvas).

Yeah I think I'm still good on the SB. I ordered one a week ago and it arrived damaged so I sent it back for a refund, and waited to see if there would be a SB2 before reordering.

I think I'm still set on the SB.

backwards compatible with older devices. thank the lord.

When will 32GB RAM be the highest tier option? Why is 4GB still a thing in 2017?

Probably when 32GB SoDIMMs are available. Even though likes of Surface have soldered on RAM chips, they can't have tons of chips on the mobo. So they need high density chips as would SoDIMM modules.

I'm glad you agree.

I agree and I don't. For instance, I love how the Lenovo Yoga 720 looks. That other guy literally says it "looks like shit". Who is right? It's just fucking opinions. And even though I'm a professional artist and a designer, I will not say he is wrong about is own opinion.

But given that there can be wildly different opinions on looks, it's not worth the time to give them objective values.

Totakeke

I agree and I don't. For instance, I love how the Lenovo Yoga 720 looks. That other guy literally says it "looks like shit". Who is right? It's just fucking opinions. And even though I'm a professional artist and a designer, I will not say he is wrong about is own opinion.

But given that there can be wildly different opinions on looks, it's not worth the time to give them objective values.

Right, it's just as silly as you asserting that you have an objective grasp of value while others don't.

Right, it's just as silly as you asserting that you have an objective grasp of value while others don't.

No it's not. Value is CALCULABLE. You can see how much hardware you get for your money. It's OBJECTIVE. And you can COMPARE such values numerically.

What you are trying to do, which is incorporate opinions like looks into the equation is SUBJECTIVE.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
No it's not. Value is CALCULABLE. You can see how much hardware you get for your money. It's OBJECTIVE. And you can COMPARE such values numerically.

What you are trying to do, which is incorporate opinions like looks into the equation is SUBJECTIVE.

you are forgetting, maybe cause you completely ignored my response to you, that you can also calculate value from experience. I have experience with lenovo products, i find the products and support to both be of a sub par nature. Where as with Microsoft my experience in both those categories is well above par. And should something not be good, there is a store right here in my city that i can go to and get the problem resolved. VS lenovo i have to send it off some where while they fix it and then wait for it to come back.

Totakeke

You're confusing specifications such as cpu, memory, storage with value of a product. Did you calculate the value of the magnesium material used for Surface Pro?

Your definition of value is narrow and is your own definition which you are trying to enforce on everyone else.

Value is extremely subjective because it's measured against whatever your goal is. A change in your goal can change the value of something. Very different from objective stuff like specs.

Ianan

Been waiting so long for this and I'm hugely disappointed.
Prices are insanely high, customisation options are terrible and then no USB-C?

Also, how long until quad core CPU's are the standard for 13inch computers?

SRG01

I don't understand how the base i5 4GB model can be $999 when previous i5 4GB base models have been $999 with the pen included for years. It's essentially an increase in price -- a pen tax, if you will.

I could understand if they dropped the base i5 price to $899, but this is ridiculous.

Microsoft has lost it.

Guess my next laptop will be another Asus or Dell :\

My Surface Pro replacement is guaranteed to be the next Dell XPS (with a pen?) or the next Switch Alpha if it ever gets announced. Maybe Lenovo, but I'm wary because of the spyware issue a while back.

You're confusing specifications such as cpu, memory, storage with value of a product. Did you calculate the value of the magnesium material used for Surface Pro?

Your definition of value is narrow and is your own definition which you are trying to enforce on everyone else.

Sigh...

Specification is clearly part of the value equation, as is materials used. But unless the looks is so extreme that it's universally panned, it's subjective and cannot be part of quantifying value. Magnesium is great for making things light but if someone else achieved similar weight with other quality materials like aluminum, it's a bit moot. But weight IS part of the equation, so use of magnesium can be accounted for.

But then again, I'm not telling you to disregard your judgement of how something looks to determine whether you like something and want something. Go ahead. Knock yourself out. But don't pretend that your decision making process is somehow objective and logical. It's not. It all based on your personal taste and bias. "I like it". "I hate it". Well good for you! But it's not part of an informed opinion like value per dollar.

norm9

So what's the verdict? Yay or nay on the new Surface?

I just bought a new Surface 3 (not pro) on amazon for $350. Should last me quite a while until this new Surface drops down in price in a few years.

Draper

I just bought a new Surface 3 (not pro) on amazon for $350. Should last me quite a while until this new Surface drops down in price in a few years.

According to Shog, it's an all-in-one technical marvel. I'd take his word and go for it.

gamz

Yay. It improves on the Surface Pro 4. What's not to love?

Totakeke

Sigh...

Specification is clearly part of the value equation, as is materials used. But unless the looks is so extreme that it's universally panned, it's subjective and cannot be part of quantifying value. Magnesium is great for making things light but if someone else achieved similar weight with other quality materials like aluminum, it's a bit moot. But weight IS part of the equation, so use of magnesium can be accounted for.

But then again, I'm not telling you to disregard your judgement of how something looks to determine whether you like something and want something. Go ahead. Knock yourself out. But don't pretend that your decision making process is somehow objective and logical. It's not. It all based on your personal taste and bias. "I like it". "I hate it". Well good for you! But it's not part of an informed opinion like value per dollar.

Nice try trying to shift value to value per dollar, but really, you don't hold the authority on what constitutes value. And seriously, your opinion is informed while everyone else's isn't? Good lord, get off your high horse.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Nice try trying to shift value to value per dollar, but really, you don't hold the authority on what constitutes value. And seriously, your opinion is informed while everyone else's isn't? Good lord, get off your high horse.

its Shog, he's right and the rest of us should be thankful for his valuable insights.

From my high horse view, I think it's a great device for Microsoft's portfolio, but not much for us consumers. It's a great halo device but the value proposition is terrible, especially since there are too many good 3rd party OEM versions in this space now.

And too much conflicting information about the pen, which is concerning: The Verge clearly states that the IAF is 12 grams but that too fucking high compared to Wacom's 1 gram. Maybe it's 2 grams and it's a typo, but seeing that their last gen pens had 10 grams IAF, I don't know what the fuck is up frankly. Hopefully The Verge got it wrong.

kiguel182

The new Surface Pro is super expensive here. The 256gb, 8gb version (the only one acceptable in 2017), is 1500 euros (without keyboard AND pen) makes it MacBook Pro tier. With the MacBooks with touch bar being 2000 (the one without it is 1800) with a better processor and MacOS (with Windows using bootcamp) but without the touch screen and less versatile obviously. But the specs are better without a doubt.

It's a tough choice between the two for any non artists. Both excellent computers no doubt.

Edit: value is personal obviously. This post is to highlight that price between the two is really close which makes a comparasion difficult. Personally I haven't seen a laptop that compares to these two when it comes to build quality. There are some close but not right there.

chekhonte

Ug, I'm buying too much stuff as of late. I just bought one of those fire sale 12 in screen, i7 512gb suface 3's just to see if I like the pen stylus for drawing. I'm such a sucker. At least amazon has a liberal return policy if I really don't like it.

<3 Surface! Excited for my laptop. (Only had a SP2)
I really hope Microsoft gets the push with the windows store they derserve. Google apps need to come. lol

From my high horse view, I think it's a great device for Microsoft's portfolio, but not much for us consumers. It's a great halo device but the value proposition is terrible, especially since there are too many good 3rd party OEM versions in this space now.

And too much conflicting information about the pen, which is concerning: The Verge clearly states that the IAF is 12 grams but that too fucking high compared to Wacom's 1 gram. Maybe it's 2 grams and it's a typo, but seeing that their last gen pens had 10 grams IAF, I don't know what the fuck is up frankly. Hopefully The Verge got it wrong.

"Less than 9 grams of activation pressure."
https://twitter.com/sbathiche/status/867130755977289728

Top Bottom