• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One reversals haven't hurt us; "we're in an enviable position"

"As a business, the minute we don't listen to our customers attentively, and adapt and react in an appropriate way, then we would be in a dangerous place," Lewis observed, when asked whether Microsoft could have stuck to its guns. "I love the fact that we are reactive and agile in that way. We remain true to our vision - digitally and physically - and we are genuinely in an enviable position versus anyone else in being able to deliver that. I wouldn't trade places with anybody.

"We listen to our customers attentively" and "We remain true to our vision" don't match reality.

Your "vision" was anti-consumer...then you abruptly change that vision when you got a vast amount of backlash. So not only were you not remaining true to your original vision, but you didn't listen to your customers AT ALL when initially designing the Xbox One. They wanted another Xbox 360...not a situation where you can't game offline.

NeoGAF is predominately pro-PS4. I don't think I am going that far out on a limb. So, it's easier to simply say "NeoGAF" as a collective, with the understanding that we are all in the pro-PS4 camp. How would I better communicate this?
How about not putting everyone in one generalized category?

Will they? they had a fat install base for kinect 1 and we got a pile of stinky turds.

We did? No. I don't agree.

Me either. There were some games that I quite liked on there:

Gunstringer
Child of Eden
Your Shape 2012 (This one's actually quite legit)
Fruit Ninja

There were definitely turds, but I liked what I got out of mine. Mind you, I chose to buy it and for supremely cheap.

So IF they are outsold by the PS4, they are going to say that is an enviable position?

I am really confused with all the things the Microsoft suits are saying. The latest was Albert on here sharing specs of the Xbox One from "Technical Fellow" that absolutely didn't make sense, instead using mathemagics that are not even real.

Now this? I will be anxious to see Sales Numbers to see truly how enviable their position is.

46w500

Banned
It's better to not communicate that at all. Better to just ask the question what can Microsoft do to appease the haters.

By not generalizing. It never makes for a good argument, so don't do it. Sony has a lot of well-earned momentum right now, while MS really screwed themselves around E3. Its deserved.

I am part of NeoGAF and I am neither pro-PS4 or anti-PS4. I am simply a gamer who primarily plays on Xbox and sometimes on PC. Generalizations don't work for both sides.

Personally I would re-quote that... GAMERS are pro-PS4 - that indication is made by ALOT of previous MS dudes picking the apparent superior console next gen, PS4. :)
Fair enough. Lesson learned, my apologies. You all are right. We are all gamers here with individual tastes and preferences.

Minions

Reminds me of the PS3 launch arrogance. I guess the Wii-U is going through this phase as well. As they say, History repeats itself. We will only really know as the numbers come in after launch.

Microsofts latest upsies, don't come close to Sony of 2006-2010.

Phil Harrison.. What are you doing?

Did you already forget about the.... "If you don't have great internet, we have a product for you, the Xbox 360?"

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I can never be fully surprised at the dissonance from a company that's marketing department decided "WE GET TO DECIDE WHAT THE WORD 'ONE' MEANS, NOT THEM".

Once you start bending reality to that degree, the sky really is the limit.

The Flash

Banned
Xbot spotted! Assemble, GAF!

I'm kidding

906.gif

BigDug13

Stop what? Help me understand. I'm new to the site.

I'm trying to create a dialogue as to what MicroSoft needs to do to win consumer support (is that better?).

I have my PS4 preordered on Amazon. It's clear Sony is playing their cards right. Just objectively looking at MicroSoft as a corporation, they are doing what you would expect any big business to do when faced with overwhelming negativity. You can substitute "MicroSoft" with "Proector&Gamble" or any other corporate entity and they're following the marketing playbook. Which, again, is what I, as a consumer, would hope for.

Microsoft has said they're trying to be the media hub of the world's living room. At least America's living room. Yet they still refuse to match their competition and allow access to media apps for free. You can't even access Internet explorer with an Xbox system without a $5 a month subscription. I can't access Netflix or anything else on my 360 right now.

It's like they're not even trying to compete with Apple for the living room. Honestly with Sony's Vita TV with free Netflix access for $100 and PS4 giving you 4 f2p games and all media apps and game recording for that initial $400 with no subscription required for that stuff, Sony is doing a better job at trying to become the living room media hub of the world.

And I don't understand their "bury the head in the sand" that they're doing on this paywall point. Only 25 million 360 owners can access Netflix on their 360 while the PS3 is the most used Netflix streaming device out of all devices. So it's not like Microsoft has created a brand that people recognize as the living room hub.

spookyfish

No, the reversals did not hurt you ... the original plan (the public perception of it) and it's wide-spread implications did.

This right here. The reversals have actually HELPED Microsoft, so ... he's not wrong, I guess? And maybe having more stock on the shelves is enviable for them?

I don't know ...

Mael

You're "forced" to buy the item, because MS wants to guarantee an install base. They guarantee the install base, devs will make cool shit.

That didn't happen on Kinect last time and looking at e3 no one still cares about it still.

I guess I don't understand their PR.

On one hand, you have someone admit that they didnt treat their Xbox fans right and goes on an apology tour.

On the other hand, you have someone come out and say Microsoft was completely committed to their fans from the start and that they're in an enviable position.

So which is it? Are they apologetic or are they completely satisfied with their whole plan from day 1?

I think it is a clear sign that their new management team is still being installed and not in full control at the moment. People are acting out of hand.

harSon

Banned
What's so bad about saying that in terms of delivering physical and digital content, they're in an enviable position?

NeoGAF is predominately pro-PS4. I don't think I am going that far out on a limb. So, it's easier to simply say "NeoGAF" as a collective, with the understanding that we are all in the pro-PS4 camp. How would I better communicate this?

Nowadays, when I go on NeoGAF, I find people saying pro-PS4. When I go to gfaqs, people say it is pro-Sony, when I go to IVG, people say it is pro-PS4. Didn't the MS Fans or people saying this realize that the majority of people on these forums are genuine gamers and hence support what is good for them? I am pretty sure people hated Sony during PS3 launch for the stupid pricing and arrogant attitude.

And LOL at MS trying too hard.

Nothing. The majority of this board is on the Sony train. Microsoft has and are continuing to correct their mistakes, but it'll take awhile for the hardcore to come back around. I can't say I blame the naysayers, but I thinks it's becoming a tad too much.

I don't speak for GAF, but these kind of stuff just pisses me off because it's not just marketing spiel, but it's downright lies.

Sony has no problem admitting they fucked up with PS3. They have their share of marketing spiel and misdirections, but they are smart by avoiding those kind of conversations, or at least appear to be honest about things they didn't do well.

MS is blatantly spinning, and people can see that. It's just ugly.

Raist

Banned
I am really confused with all the things the Microsoft suits are saying. The latest was Albert on here sharing specs of the Xbox One from "Technical Fellow" that absolutely didn't make sense, instead using mathemagics that are not even real.

Now this? I will be anxious to see Sales Numbers to see truly how enviable their position is.

They've been contradicting themselves non stop and backpedalling on so many things overall, it's really amazing. So much for that "One" vision.

le.phat

The soured opinion on the xbox, not just on neogaf, but all over the internet, has been pretty damaging for the brand if you ask me...

inky

They did originally say if you don't like Xbone policies, you could buy a 360 instead. CHOICES.

Hahaha.

Yea, no, you are not Microsoft. And it will take a monumental effort for me to begin considering looking in your direction again. Start by dropping the price and we might see.

harSon

Banned
"Agile" sure ain't a word I normally associate with MS.

They literally redefined a console in a matter of months. That's unprecedented within a consumer product/company of this magnitude, particurarly one that had years of development prior to the shift in ideology.

KoopaTheCasual

So IF they are outsold by the PS4, they are going to say that is an enviable position?

That's the funniest part. They swear up and down that there are zero supply issues (something Sony even admitted to for Japan). Major Nelson has also claimed that the Xbox One went through FCC before the PS4. By those two statements alone, it should mean that they're able to match, and even surpass Sony's production. So when the PS4 outsells them through the holidays, what will their excuse be? I mean, it surely can't be "we didn't have the supply" since their company line has been the opposite for months. I'm genuinely curious to see how they're going to react, because all signs point to PS4 moving more units at launch.

bumpkin

Yes, "enviable." Selling your console for $100 more than the competition is definitely the way to go in the marketplace.

Mesoian

That was a good game, so yes.

However, I am talking about the Xbox One. Where is the game for the Xbox One that's as good as Gunstringer? I want to see some games like that before I invest in Kinect for Xbox One.

Something like the above.

It'll probably be LocoCycle, which is a Xbone launch game.

Orayn

Maybe it's company policy not to acknowledge the existence of any uncertainty or hurdles that need to be overcome, but this kind of hubris is going to look really bad if the Xbox One under-performs.

"And on the pedestal these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains: round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

What's so bad about saying that in terms of delivering physical and digital content, they're in an enviable position?

Enviable compared to Ouya, maybe.

There's nothing enviable about something that's been how you and your core competitors did business for the past 5 years.

dcx4610

""That said, we want to offer consumers choice, including physical discs and being able to do all the things that they want with those physical discs. We want to be available in any format that our consumers are looking for. We've always been very committed to consumer choice."

Yeah...so why didn't you do that in the first place then? If they had came out from the beginning with that stance, Sony wouldn't have had nearly as much momentum as they do now.

Top Bottom