• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Xbox Rewards is being shut down from December, could this spell the end of freebies for gamers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pelta88

• Xbox consoles are today showing players a message stating that Microsoft Xbox Rewards is coming to a close.
  • The weekly series of quests will continue until the end of November, and be removed permanently from December.
  • The weekly Microsoft Xbox Rewards quests were an easy way for players to earn points towards Xbox purchases, but this news comes after a long string of disappointments with the service.

The ‘sauce’

Last edited:

tommycronin

Banned
CN3N9L8.gif

graywolf323

that sucks but also not terribly surprising, between upping the costs for things to reducing how many points you could earn + the GPU coming & going from being a reward… the writing has been on the wall for a while now

Mowcno

Sounds like it's being replaced with another rewards program but it wouldn't surprise me if it is harder to earn as much value.

Xbox have been tightening purse strings all year. Increase in gamepass price, removal of $1 trial, gold to gamepass conversion rate change, huge increase in prices in regions such as Turkey and Argentina.

Is this just one more thing in the last 6 months to try and increase profits? Possibly. They've made a lot of these moves and most of them put into question how much profit they were actually making from subscriptions because they seem desperate to plug up exploits and holes related to gamepass this year.

You don't like that we slashed the points you get, now you get no points!!!
Really seems like they're over all the onboarding pricing, now it's tightening the screws for some ROI.

Havoc2049

Hard to say if this is good or bad until we see what the new app is all about. This is pretty standard for Microsoft. Microsoft Teams just switched to a new version and Outlook is about to switch as well. It seems like they switch to a new version of the PC Xbox app every other year. Time marches on and things change.

El Muerto

They moved the rewards section to your profile on Xbox. The rewards app is jank anyway. They have been nerfing points all year so it's no surprise getting rid of the weekly reward. Sitting at 336k points right now wandering what to get. Already got a Series S last year with my points.

GHG

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Literally the title of the article that's referenced:

Literally the translation text of the image in the article itself:

With the new Rewards hub on Xbox, players will no longer need to have separate apps to earn or redeem Reward points.

Starting December 2023, we will no longer publish offers in the Microsoft Rewards app on Xbox, focusing instead on new activities in the new Rewards hub.

Times must be tough when Xbox fans are accusing Windows Central of clickbait and FUD against Xbox.

Never thought I'd see the day when you, G, are batting for Windows Central :messenger_fearful:

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

• Xbox consoles are today showing players a message stating that Microsoft Xbox Rewards is coming to a close.
  • The weekly series of quests will continue until the end of November, and be removed permanently from December.
  • The weekly Microsoft Xbox Rewards quests were an easy way for players to earn points towards Xbox purchases, but this news comes after a long string of disappointments with the service.

Add the link to the article.....

ReBurn

Gold Member
I haven't seen that message in the Xbox rewards app. But I'm ok with the app being killed off. It's slow and it sucks and it keeps resetting my streaks before I hit milestone rewards.

Bridges

The rewards went way downhill. They've already taken away everything that made it viable to pay attention to. They win I guess, I'll pay for Game Pass now. I don't have much hope the new rewards will be any better

Sorcerer

I would wait a few hours, probably no one told Phil about this yet, and he will announce that Xbox Rewards are forever. He heroically saved employees Gamepass accounts being taken away after all. Apparently being the Head of Xbox, doesn't matter, Phil doesn't get the memo. Phil was probably hunting Turkeys for Thanksgiving and his phone was shut off.

Topher

Gold Member
Sounds like Microsoft is watering down Rewards even more. Hope they don't fuck with the mobile app, but they probably will. Microsoft being Microsoft.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's Pelta, what do you expect?

To be fair, in this case it's not his fault. Windows Central's headline is pretty misleading. Rewards are not being shut down, it's moving to a centralized Rewards Hub and that individual Rewards app will become redundant.

Last edited:

Aion002

On one side I think that it might be good, because the current rewards app on Xbox is terrible.

However, if they completely remove the weekly series and don't bring new ways to earn points... Well... This sucks.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Sounds like Microsoft is watering down Rewards even more. Hope they don't fuck with the mobile app, but they probably will. Microsoft being Microsoft.
They've been moving stuff to a new beta rewards tab under your profile for some time. That's where quests are showing up now. For the past month or so the offers that show up in the rewards app have been decreasing. The only reason to go there is for streaks now.

So much for being "pro-consumer" I guess. I knew they were gonna change this, but didn't think they would completely yeet them altogether. Maybe reduce the amount you'd get or could redeem in a given period, set points to expire after a while, etc.

Nah, they just said "Fuk it. You're outta here!". Big dick energy.

Surely the Edible chocolate controller will make up for the lost marketing opportunities.

Are we sure it's even made out of chocolate?

Looks like he's transforming into a Cenobite.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
They've been moving stuff to a new beta rewards tab under your profile for some time. That's where quests are showing up now. For the past month or so the offers that show up in the rewards app have been decreasing. The only reason to go there is for streaks now.

Yeah, I used that when I had an Xbox. Sucks because they already dropped the number of points you can earn from daily achievements and punch cards. Now punch cards are probably going away entirely along with the weekly streaks.

simpatico

Microsoft winding down the Xbox consoles. With Steam Deck success and them owning Windows, I think they're making the move to PC console hybrids. In terms of press releases, they will immediately crush Sony and Nintendo in sales + install base. It's a good look. Pretty dumb that they haven't done it sooner tbh.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Yeah, I used that when I had an Xbox. Sucks because they already dropped the number of points you can earn from daily achievements and punch cards. Now punch cards are probably going away entirely along with the weekly streaks.
Dropping the daily achievement from 50 points to 5 was the worst recent change.

When they made the last big change to drop the big monthly quest from 1000 to 500 they at least added the 250 point weekly quests to net more overall points if you do them, but they're mostly a grind. When you look at it from the perspective of grinding in a game for 15 minutes to get 25¢ or less worth of rewards it's just not worth it.

Schmick

So much for being "pro-consumer" I guess. I knew they were gonna change this, but didn't think they would completely yeet them altogether. Maybe reduce the amount you'd get or could redeem in a given period, set points to expire after a while, etc.

Nah, they just said "Fuk it. You're outta here!". Big dick energy.

Are we sure it's even made out of chocolate?

Looks like he's transforming into a Cenobite.
Why are you making it out that they are removing rewards? They are removing the Rewards App which is dog shit. Rewards are staying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom