• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft xCloud will bring console-level gaming to Samsung smartphones.

Who said it doesn't work? It actually does to a degree, I stream stuff in a pinch from time to time.

The issue is you saying people have mental issues if they don't embrace streaming, basically.
There you go misquoting me and taking what I said out of context. I will not reiterate what I said. You can continue believing what you believe and I will continue believing what I believe, the beauty of opinions.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Mehhhh this has been a thing for years and some ppl use it fine state to state aka remote play but there's a reason why it's not lauded to much,
controls on mobile just aren't up to par even if u buy a dedicated controller.

But hey options are good.

DanielsM

Banned
There you go misquoting me and taking what I said out of context. I will not reiterate what I said. You can continue believing what you believe and I will continue believing what I believe, the beauty of opinions.

Well, your original post is a mess. I feel pretty good that most people would interpret it in a similar fashion as I am, although that is a guess on my part. At this point, I'm not sure what you are trying t say nor does any of this seem likely to end in a fruitful discussion. So, I bid you good day. :messenger_spock:

Last edited:

joe_zazen

That's the problem regardless of if it Sony, Microsoft, Google, Amazon or Netflix why don't we wait too see what advancements they've made with the technology. Some are assuming it won't work, some are so negative to new technologies. Let's see what they have to offer. Some of you act as if you want nothing to progress and stay as is.

It isnt so much the tech, but the economic model behind it.

Imagine a future where most games are streamed and most people only get their content from gamepass or similar sub model. What kind of games are going to be made for that? Will the audience become like mobile, where getting people to pay for games is impossible? No one is going to make rdr3 for a 9.99 per mo streaming service. And who is going to invest in and push gaming hardware forward if it is controlled by a giant American corporation?

Idk, maybe it will work out or maybe it wont. But being skeptical and not wanting to lose the cool stuff we have now isn't crazy.

Well, your original post is a mess. I feel pretty good that most people would interpret it in a similar fashion as I am, although that is a guess on my part. At this point, I'm not sure what you are trying say nor does any of this seem likely to end in a fruitful discussion. So, I bid you good day. :messenger_spock:
Couldn't take the heat from the convo huh? Too bad I could have gone all day.

It isnt so much the tech, but the economic model behind it.

Imagine a future where most games are streamed and most people only get their content from gamepass or similar sub model. What kind of games are going to be made for that? Will the audience become like mobile, where getting people to pay for games is impossible? No one is going to make rdr3 for a 9.99 per mo streaming service. And who is going to invest in and push gaming hardware forward if it is controlled by a giant American corporation?

Idk, maybe it will work out or maybe it wont. But being skeptical and not wanting to lose the cool stuff we have now isn't crazy.
You have a point.. But to indiscriminately hate on it out of fear is not cool. Some people need to make rational posts and not things like "haha I hate Samsung". Just because they assume they will lose something, Like really?

DanielsM

Banned
Because you do not have the brain power to comprehend what I said means I make no sense? Got it and noted.
You're not making any clear statement as to what you are talking about.

If someone wants to stream, they can, if they want to play natively, they can. Streaming will probably never be as good as natively playing, but its an option. The business model for streaming (paid) generally doesn't make sense, and most probably never will, or at least it doesn't at this time.

So... there are 2-3 issues at least even if we assume everyone has the bandwidth to stream:

- it won't be as good as native playing, generally speaking
- the business model generally doesn't make sense, as AAA games are front loaded to be able to make money... old games aren't worth much
- native gaming generally is going to be cheaper

There is nothing necessarily wrong with game streaming, its an option, but just because someone doesn't pick that option doesn't necessarily mean they have mental issues.

Thabass

1. i am not buying a samsung as long as they push that garbage bloated OS of theirs.
2. i refuse to play games on a touch screen and i'm not carrying about attachable controllers just to play some crappy game. i'd rather just play on my Switch/PS4/PC.

the only way i'd ever consider this is if you can connect the phone to your TV and use a traditional controller. That would be a game changer for sure.

I have a Note 9 and I was also worried about this issue when I got it. It honestly hasn't been that bad. The phone is snappy as fuck and my battery issues are non existed. It's actually a damn fine phone.

And this was coming off of a Pixel 2.

You're not making any clear statement as to what you are talking about.

If someone wants to stream, they can, if they want to play natively, they can. Streaming will probably never be as good as natively playing, but its an option. The business model for streaming (paid) generally doesn't make sense, and most probably never will, or at least it doesn't at this time.

So... there are 2-3 issues at least even if we assume everyone has the bandwidth to stream:

- it won't be as good as native playing, generally speaking
- the business model generally doesn't make sense, as AAA games are front loaded to be able to make money... old games aren't worth much
- native gaming generally is going to be cheaper

There is nothing necessarily wrong with game streaming, its an option, but just because someone doesn't pick that option doesn't necessarily mean they have mental issues.
See you wrote all that and still don't get the point to my original post. Can someone help this man out?

Ten_Fold

Single player games using xcloud might be pretty cool especially if I can use my ps4 controller via Bluetooth, I wouldn’t dare play and multiplayer game that requires little to no lag.

The biggest issue for me is using the touch screen of a phone to play games. I need to be able to feel the buttons and what not, which is where playing games on a switch is a completely different and better experience. If you could use bluetooth to connect a controller to your phone and play games, that would be far more enticing for me.

DanielsM

Banned
That's why there are likes one the post right? Obviously there are those that get it and those that don't. You fall under the latter. No my fault.

You can get a million likes, you post makes very little sense that I can see. What is your point?

From the beginning of your posts.
I see people here complaining about not wanting to play console quality games on their phone on the go

Why would people be complaining about not wanting to play console quality games on their phones? They don't have to, the only one that seems to be complaining is you at this point. Why would people be complaining about not wanting to do something on their phone, that they don't have to do?

I'm assuming (because your post is so bad), that you don't understand why people don't stream to their phone yet buy a switch? The answer is that is what they want.

Last edited:
You can get a million likes, you post makes very little sense that I can see. What is your point?

Why would people be complaining about not wanting to play console quality games on their phones? They don't have to.
Why don't you repost the whole thing instead of reacting to one piece? That's your problem you're debating a piece of what I said and not as a whole. Thank you come again.

DanielsM

Banned
Why don't you repost the whole thing instead of reacting to one piece? That's your problem you're debating a piece of what I said and not as a whole. Thank you come again.

I see people here complaining about not wanting to play console quality games on their phone on the go, but go apeSh*t for Switch, playing the same games you can play on console. Some of you people have serious mental issues that need to be addressed.

Here is the whole post. What is your point?

If you are that person doesn't want to play a console game on their phone, they don't have to... nobody is complaining that they are being forced to play a console game on their phone.

If I were to really guess what you are saying, its that streaming can provide console type games to a phone.... so people that like the Switch have mental issues because they go ape shit over their hardware. Well, people go crazy over the newest iPhones as well. Also, the Switch is more of a gaming device than a phone, meaning handles and sticks as well, furthermore you can hook it up to a TV/monitor.

I personally avoid Nintendo hardware, so I don't get the same level of excitement either, but with that said.... streaming isn't as good as native playing.... and the Switch does offer a real good native playing portable device even though I would never buy one.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
I don't want console level gaming on my cellphone. In fact who benefits from console level gaming on their cellphone? Does anybody realize what a distracted society we are with mobile devices.

I guess I'm the old man looking at practicality and safety but long term use on a cellphone is for 3 specific types of groups in my opinion. Little kids, poor people, non-gamers.

Real gamers want optimization not compromise. Cell phone game will only ever be a compromise to real gaming. At the same time kids grow up with cellphones now so they are clearly marketing to a completely different target group than the folks on here.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I have a Note 9 and I was also worried about this issue when I got it. It honestly hasn't been that bad. The phone is snappy as fuck and my battery issues are non existed. It's actually a damn fine phone.

And this was coming off of a Pixel 2.

From my experience Samsung has some of the best phones so idk what ppl are going on about. Samsung introduced and innovated in the phone space most of the features ios and others use today lol

Thts same shit I say about I phones, hell no won't buy one. Pixel 3 looks so tempting though I'm rocking a galaxy s9 and my phone is lighting fast.

Last edited:

Thabass

From my experience Samsung has some of the best phones so idk what ppl are going on about. Samsung introduced and innovated in the phone space most of the features ios and others use today lol

Thts same shit I say about I phones, hell no won't buy one. Pixel 3 looks so tempting though I'm rocking a galaxy s9 and my phone is lighting fast.

I loved the Pixel line, but hardware issues forced me to look elswhere this time around. Hopefully they can fix those issues. Also, if the 3a has a headphone jack and the next flagship phone doesn't, Imma be mad.

I think that Tweet should be a new thread for discussion since it's actually showing off a demo and there's not that many of those. The title of this thread doesn't really excite like "Crackdown 3 running on Xcloud" does.

Here is the whole post. What is your point?

If you a person doesn't want to play a console game on their phone, they don't have to... nobody is complaining that they are being forced to play a console game on their phone.
The fact the some are saying they dont like this idea because " I refuse to play on a touch screen" is all good and its an opinion, but then to turn around and say "but I will play on my switch", is crazy talk, and thats my opinion. I see a lot of excuses for why this isnt a good idea but no one and I repeat no one out side of Samsung and the X Cloud team know what the technology is all about. So I say in general stop all the negativity its very toxic and debate your points intelligently.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
The fact the some are saying they dont like this idea because " I refuse to play on a touch screen" is all good and its an opinion, but then to turn around and say "but I will play on my switch", is crazy talk, and thats my opinion. I see a lot of excuses for why this isnt a good idea but no one and I repeat no one out side of Samsung and the X Cloud team know what the technology is all about. So I say in general stop all the negativity its very toxic and debate your points intelligently.

Well, generally I say touch screen is a very poor input device for most big AAA games. A Switch has a built in sticks, and triggers, and further you can easily hook it up to a monitor for the bigger games. A Switch isn't for me, as I am not a huge fan of Nintendo hardware or software. But to me is its not a phone vs Switch issue, its more about Streaming vs. Native playing, and having access to Nintendo's software library as well.

"I repeat no one out side of Samsung and the X Cloud team know what the technology is all about"

Everyone has proprietary technology. The general way game streaming is done is known to everyone, processing is done remotely, the video is compressed, and sent over the internet to the application/thin-client on the distant end where its decompressed with sound, the remote application/thin-client takes user input and sends the input data to the remote process machine.

Nothing new with the technology, technically you could remote play some PS3 games back in 2006, although not really officially supported. Some of the technology has improved over time as well.

I see nothing wrong with streaming, if people want to do it... I stream in a pinch, but I personally would never pay for it.

Last edited:
Well, generally I say touch screen is a very poor input device for most big AAA games. A Switch has a built in sticks, and triggers, and further you can easily hook it up to a monitor for the bigger games. A Switch isn't for me, as I am not a huge fan of Nintendo hardware or software. But to me is its not a phone vs Switch issue, its more about Streaming vs. Native playing, and having access to Nintendo's software library as well.

"I repeat no one out side of Samsung and the X Cloud team know what the technology is all about"

Everyone has proprietary technology. The general way game streaming is done is known to everyone, processing is done remotely, the video is compressed, and sent over the internet to the application/thin-client on the distant end where its decompressed with sound, the remote application/thin-client takes user input and sends the input data to the remote process machine.

Nothing new with the technology, technically you could remote play some PS3 games back in 2006, although not really officially supported. Some of the technology has improved over time as well.

I see nothing wrong with streaming, if people want to do it... I stream in a pinch, but I personally would never pay for it.

See but that's where you're assuming there's nothing new. You are thinking what companies did 4 to 5 years ago in the streaming space is what is happening today. Let's see what Google and MS have to offer before assuming you know what they have cooked up. I'm just trying to be positive.

DanielsM

Banned
See but that's where you're assuming there's nothing new. You are thinking what companies did 4 to 5 years ago in the streaming space is what is happening today. Let's see what Google and MS have to offer before assuming you know what they have cooked up. I'm just trying to be positive.

Compression may or may not improve but generally its basically the same concept. The issues with streaming generally aren't going away latency, input lag, and image quality to a lessor degree. The issue to me is even if streaming were to ever to become even (quality wise) with native playing, generally its going to be more expensive. It actually entails more hardware (on both ends), more electricity, more management, etc.

Its an option if people want to use it, I don't see an issue with it per se, if someone likes to stream I say go for it - multiple player is a no go zone though. I use Playstation Remote Play and was in the PS Now beta back in the day - its okayish but it won't ever replace native playing for myself.

The issue to me is over marketing by Google and Microsoft... they are sending the wrong message, imo. Phil Harrison (Google) is going 150mph right off a cliff.

Last edited:
Compression may or may not improve but generally its basically the same concept. The issues with streaming generally aren't going away latency, input lag, and image quality to a lessor degree. The issue to me is even if streaming were to ever to become even (quality wise) with native playing, generally its going to be more expensive. It actually entails more hardware (on both ends), more electricity, more management, etc.

Its an option if people want to use it, I don't see an issue with it per se, if someone likes to stream I say go for it - multiple player is a no go zone though. I use Playstation Remote Play and was in the PS Now beta back in the day - its okayish but it won't ever replace native playing for myself.

The issue to me is over marketing by Google and Microsoft... they are sending the wrong message, imo. Phil Harrison (Google) is going 150mph right off a cliff.
Its possible the marketing maybe a disaster because it really has never been successfully marketed before but new tech excites me like nothing else. So I for one will keep an open mind regarding this. If it succeeds great more choice for everyone, if it fails then we go back to what we've been doing fine for the last 30+ years. It's all good either way.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned

For me the Switch screen size is my cutoff point. But I think the bigger gripe with cellphones at least for me is having no buttons.

If there isn't a legit relationship between the game and your ability to utilize the input of the controls which touchscreens fail on an epic level to even produce accurate text is why it's a nonstarter for me.

Switch Screen size + physical controls is the absolute bare minimum for me to take a handheld seriously.

For me the Switch screen size is my cutoff point. But I think the bigger gripe with cellphones at least for me is having no buttons.

If there isn't a legit relationship between the game and your ability to utilize the input of the controls which touchscreens fail on an epic level to even produce accurate text is why it's a nonstarter for me.

Switch Screen size + physical controls is the absolute bare minimum for me to take a handheld seriously.
You have a legit point but I believe in the Sony, Microsoft and Google engineers to over come that with some kind of bluetooth cellphone casing that you can slide your phone into that offers dual analog sticks d pad and proper buttons like a regular controller.

FeldMonster

Why would people be complaining about not wanting to play console quality games on their phones? They don't have to, the only one that seems to be complaining is you at this point. Why would people be complaining about not wanting to do something on their phone, that they don't have to do?

I'm assuming (because your post is so bad), that you don't understand why people don't stream to their phone yet buy a switch? The answer is that is what they want.
That is a circular argument. People bought a Switch because that is what they wanted to buy? Huh? Not exactly helpful marketing insight.

FeldMonster

I see people here complaining about not wanting to play console quality games on their phone on the go, but go apeSh*t for Switch, playing the same games you can play on console. Some of you people have serious mental issues that need to be addressed.
I agree, the combination of an Xbox plus Xcloud has significant advantages over a portable console. I will have a real console and a non-gimped version of the game when I am local, yet I can take my library with me, and I already have both a phone and a bluetooth enabled controller from my console. The advantages of a portable console are the ability to play when you do not have access to internet, which is increasingly uncommon in the modern world, and less potential lag. For my use case, I'll take the former over the latter.

AlexxKidd

I think that Tweet should be a new thread for discussion since it's actually showing off a demo and there's not that many of those. The title of this thread doesn't really excite like "Crackdown 3 running on Xcloud" does.

The title of this thread brings more excitement than anything with the words "Crackdown 3" in it could.

bitbydeath

Gold Member

Switch has physical controls built into it which makes a huge difference.

Touch screens are garbage for gaming.

Switch has physical controls built into it which makes a huge difference.

Touch screens are garbage for gaming.
Who says there won't be physical buttons when streaming with a unannounced accessory? Let's see what is announced at e3 or before the way things have been going lately.

Last edited:

lynux3

[

Afaik, sony has dumped very little money into vr. Their biggest success, astrobot, was made by 35 people.

But yeah, if the next console has $100 of vr tech in the BOM a la Kinect, they will lose marketshare.
Very little money? I would say Sony invested a substantial amount on R&D for their VR solution. It's a niche market, sure, but Sony obviously sees a future in it. PlayStation VR is easily one of the most comfortable and affordable VR experiences, and I think their R&D investments in it paid off. Just my opinion of course.

Additionally, I don't think it's going to take much to integrate the current VR breakout box components into their next console... at least that is what it seems like. Based on the Wired article Sony already has 3D audio ready to go and adding a chip to unmangle the VR image onto a screen probably doesn't cost $100.

Top Bottom