• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's Customer Service...it sucks.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This is a shame. Honestly, this post makes me regret buying my Xbone. Not only do I not care about the Xbone that much, but I hate hearing about bad customer service. Ugh.

I feel your pain, man.

Chiggs

This has been standard warranty practice since around 1975.

Sorry, but best-in-class companies will send out the replacement first, and then require you to send back the defective device. AT&T, Dell, Sony, LG...they've all done this for me in the past.

slapnuts

Long Story Short:

I was diagnosed with a herniated disc yesterday at the ER; it was excruciating pain, the worst I've felt in my adult life. Right now, I'm bedridden and awaiting surgery that will most likely take place in the New Year.

I was given an Xbox One for an early Christmas gift, and I've been enjoying it for the last few days; the problem is that the power supply is making a loud clicking/grinding sound. Making matters worse, the console is occasionally freezing, forcing me to have to reboot.

Having contacted Xbox One support several times today, I've been assured that the issue is with the power supply. No big deal, right? Just send me a new one.

Nope.

I have to send in my faulty power supply first, and then wait for it to be received by the warehouse. After it's been verified to be defective, a new one will be sent out. The last rep I spoke to tells me this process takes 2 weeks. I ask if there can be exception to this policy. Nope. I ask her if I can just pay for a new power supply. Nope.

I am stunned by this sort of treatment, especially after how terrible Microsoft treated its RRoD customers with the 360 (especially the early adopters). I'm extremely frustrated by the whole ordeal and wanted to see if any GAF'ers know of any workarounds.Any advice would be much appreciated.

Weird that the power supply is making "noise" unless it has a fan inside it? I never thought console bricks had fans in them or i should say moving parts in them like PC power supply has a moving part..its fan. I wonder what is making the sound..a fan?

Chiggs

It took Microsoft 18 months of lying about rrod before they even acknowledged it was a thing. Dont give them ANY credit for their fraud.

Yep, and I purchased a brand new Elite that experienced the issue within two weeks. My replacement, which was not sent overnight, was a scuffed up refurb that looked like someone had dropped it.

When I called to complain about the condition it was in, the supervisor told me tough luck.

Tabris

Honestly, this is why I will always buy big electronic devices at a B&M instead of ordering online. I can always just take it back to Best Buy / Futureshop / etc and replace for a new one if it's broken in first 30 days.

GhaleonEB

Crummy situation. It seems to be a theme with MS support, at least with all my interactions with them.

I spent three hours over the past few days with Xbox customer support getting access back to my kids' accounts. The credit card used to validate their accounts expired and MS pushed a forced re-verification through, locking them out and requiring me to give them a new CC, even though they can't spend on it. (Had to accept a non-refundable $1 charge too.) If felt like extortion: give us a new CC number, or your kids can't have their accounts back.

I filled out a customer satisfaction survey over email a bit ago. They did poorly.

Hope you're doing better soon, Chiggs.

Apple's customer service isn't perfect either. They don't even warranty the buttons in the iPhone or the battery unless you have Apple Care.

I've had my iPhone 5 replaced twice due to the sleep/wake button working intermittently. Also, while it's extremely rare for an iPhone battery to go bad within 12 months, I'm sure they would take care of you if it did.

This has been standard warranty practice since around 1975.

Not in my industry. Phones under warranty are replaced next day by nearly every carrier. Advance exchange has become much more popular in the last decade.

t26

Apple's customer service isn't perfect either. They don't even warranty the buttons in the iPhone or the battery unless you have Apple Care.

I was able to set up an appointment and got an iphone with stuck button exchanged at Apple store a few months.

Marco1

Hopefully the new CEO will change things for the better but I'll believe it when I see it.
They're trying to hard to be apple yet failing where it really matters. Customers only give you a couple of chances, unfortunately for MS they are not the big cheese anymore and their console isn't getting the best games and multi-plats either.

HPX

You need to stop asking them what they are going to do, and instead tell them what that are going to do to make it right.
Does that usually work? I worked years as tech support and that only works if you know what you talk about. Otherwise I would just run you over with instructions AND an (technical) explanation as to why we would not do it their way.

Long Story Short:

I was diagnosed with a herniated disc yesterday at the ER; it was excruciating pain, the worst I've felt in my adult life. Right now, I'm bedridden and awaiting surgery that will most likely take place in the New Year.

I was given an Xbox One for an early Christmas gift, and I've been enjoying it for the last few days; the problem is that the power supply is making a loud clicking/grinding sound. Making matters worse, the console is occasionally freezing, forcing me to have to reboot.

Having contacted Xbox One support several times today, I've been assured that the issue is with the power supply. No big deal, right? Just send me a new one.

Nope.

I have to send in my faulty power supply first, and then wait for it to be received by the warehouse. After it's been verified to be defective, a new one will be sent out. The last rep I spoke to tells me this process takes 2 weeks. I ask if there can be exception to this policy. Nope. I ask her if I can just pay for a new power supply. Nope.

I am stunned by this sort of treatment, especially after how terrible Microsoft treated its RRoD customers with the 360 (especially the early adopters). I'm extremely frustrated by the whole ordeal and wanted to see if any GAF'ers know of any workarounds.Any advice would be much appreciated.

When I encounter customer service troubles? I put the phone down and redial!!! Works wonders speaking to someone else

The great thing about the PSU being seperate is it's much easier to replace if it goes wrong!

The great thing about Nintendo's console-tied account system is the fact that you can sell the console and charge for the games on top without having to ship discs

:p

OP, file a negative BBB report, then wait for your phone to ring with a resolution. Unfortunately, Microsoft has to be shamed into performing the bare minimum of customer service.

Yagharek

Yep, and I purchased a brand new Elite that experienced the issue within two weeks. My replacement, which was not sent overnight, was a scuffed up refurb that looked like someone had dropped it.

When I called to complain about the condition it was in, the supervisor told me tough luck.

I hope you filed a complaint with consumer affairs or similar.

Edit: gift, sorry.

lupin23rd

Fastest selling console of all time so there's obviously no units and therefore no extra power supplies left to buy which is why they said no :)

Hope you're situation (and your injury) get all resolved quickly!

joecanada

The great thing about the PSU being seperate is it's much easier to replace if it goes wrong!

Is this an endorsement of the good ol power brick? or am I reading into it too much?

@above - that's sarcasm right? you do know he could just walk into Walmart, buy one and return the faulty power with the unit right?

I bet its this piece of shit cheap fan making the grinding noise just like on 360 models

ADDA-AB4512HX-GD0-Server-Blower-Fan-AB4512HX-GD0-b-79032.jpg

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
The Xbox one controller I got in my bundle doesn't work unless I plug it in, batteries just don't work with it.

Amazon initially said to send the entire bundle back for a replacement, then suggested I talk to MS and if they don't solve it come back to them.

MS want me to send my controller in,, pay for postage to Czech Republic myself, go controller-less for about 2-3 weeks before they send another one back. This is ridiculous! No compensation whatsoever. Actually customer service game a free download of a LIMITED EDITION avater Xbox One t-shirt. And a free download of KIller Instinct and Xbox Fitness...which are always free.

Tempted to go back to Amazon and see if they can do anything better, but would that be too cheeky?

EDIT: Spoke to Amazon and they offered me 15% refund on my original order = £65 refund! £20 more than the cost of a new controller. THATS how you do it Microsoft!

Top Bottom