• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microtransactions coming to destiny

TheMWord

https://www.bungie.net/7_Introducing-Eververse-Trading-Company/en/News/News?aid=13672

Here we go...

EDIT: Apparently this is being done to finance free DLC for the next year: http://kotaku.com/sources-destiny-will-get-paid-cosmetic-dlc-and-free-ne-1734800399

This coming Tuesday, October 13th, Tess Everis will return to The Tower with a new look, a new storefront, and some new items to sell, courtesy of Eververse Trading Company. Initially, Tess will offer eighteen brand new emotes. Like the trio of emotes offered via The Taken King Collector’s Edition, these emotes are completely optional, and won’t impact the action game in any way.

To acquire these items, you’ll first need to pick up some “Silver,” a new in-game currency that will be available for purchase through the store associated with your console. Images and descriptions for each available emote, along with pricing information for Silver will be made available Tuesday, October 13th, alongside the launch of the in-game storefront right here on Bungie.net as soon as the content is live.

If you’re not interested in what Tess has to offer, you won’t ever be forced to pluck an item off of her shelf. You’ll still receive updates to the game, and you won’t lose a Crucible encounter or fail to clear a Raid because you didn’t have the right Eververse Trading Company emote equipped.

Our plan is to use these new items to bolster the service provided by our live team for another full year, as they grow and create more robust and engaging events that we’ll announce later this year. It has been, and continues to be, our goal to deliver updates to the game. Going forward, our live team is also looking to grow beyond vital updates and improvements to focus on world events, experiences, and feature requests.

If you’re still skeptical, you can log in next week and take a look for yourself. We’ll be dropping some free Silver into your account so you can purchase an emote or two and become legend through the power of dance.

free emotes? destiny players gonna love this

Shang

Microtransactions in a full-priced game are always a negative for me,but at least here it seems to be handled with some responsibility, especially considering many aspects of Destiny in its first year. Cosmetic only is nice.

Taramoor

I can't really get angry about glorified smileys costing people money. I don't need my character to dance, I just need her to snipe stuff in the face real good.

hawk2025

It's emotes.

I'm not sure I'm reading correctly between the lines. Are they committing to updating the patrols with more/different events frequently?

Magwik

Banned
I wonder if they are going to ditch formal expansions for a while. Sounds like they are hoping to subside content updates with the microtransactions?

"Our plan is to use these new items to bolster the service provided by our live team for another full year, as they grow and create more robust and engaging events that we’ll announce later this year. It has been, and continues to be, our goal to deliver updates to the game. Going forward, our live team is also looking to grow beyond vital updates and improvements to focus on world events, experiences, and feature requests."

3 biggest feature requests:

1. Private Matchmaking
2. Raid Matchmaking/In-game LFG
3. In-game Grimoire

hmmm

I like how they waited for all the good-will from the Taken King to settle into the gamer conscious before announcing this.

I can't be too upset though, micro-transactions for cosmetics are just a thing now, and the market for them has proven itself time and time again. I won't begrudge them that.

Deadstar

Sounds like a great idea. If Bungie uses these to fund better content in the game and improve it I'm all for it. I'm glad these are all cosmetic too. That's the best way to do dlc.

Wow, was not buying TTK because of MTs, but since none were announced until now and public reception was good, I bought it after release.

I do not support MTs in any form, more so on a $60(+$60+$40 lol) title.

I feel ripped off in a way.

On the one hand, all cosmetic stuff.

On the other hand, some people had to pay around $100 to get a full game's worth of content into Destiny.

Skux

This will still sell like hotcakes. When everyone ends up with the same gear, they're always going to want a way to stand out.

stephen08

Pretty gross.

Destiny is one of my favorite games to play with friends and I am incredibly sad to see microtransactions be put in the game.

RowdyReverb

I'm glad it's just emotes. If it were $0.99 for a few legendary engrams, I could be in trouble as shameful as it is

Lame. I want to buy actual gear.

kK69EfM.gif

hawk2025

I like how they waited for all the good-will from the Taken King to settle into the gamer conscious before announcing this.

I can't be too upset though, micro-transactions for cosmetics are just a thing now, and the market for them has proven itself time and time again. I won't begrudge them that.

We've known since the before-release livestream that paid emotes were coming.

At the same time, I hate that it's a new currency to clutter the beautiful UI and collection screens :/

Mupod

I mean, after so many people paid 20 bucks for an MC Hammer dance...they'd be morons not to. But yeah, I see the future of Destiny being more about this stuff and less about expensive DLC that separates the player base...but maybe not the immediate future.

I'm okay with this. I just hope they're not class specific like the emotes and shaders in the Collector's Edition. That was a stupid decision.

Primus

So since Tess is coming back, does that mean I'll be able to get my missing pre-release emblems back from her? 'cause that would be lovely.

Jito

Banned
Ok I'm cool with this, what i'm not cool with is yet another currency being introduced to the game. If this silver is only something that you can buy, why not just use real money instead? Does silver drop at all in the game or is the only way to get it through purchases?

ps3ud0

Got to ask - can you still not replace your ghost skinl? Only aware of the one that came with the LE and above at launch. Seemed an obvious thing for MTs

ps3ud0 8)

Velcro Fly

i expected worse seeing the thread title

but i guess buying gear defeats the purpose of playing a game whose purpose is to get gear

Got to ask buy can you still not replace your ghost skin still? Only aware of the one that came with the LE and above at launch. Seemed an obvious thing for MTs

ps3ud0 8)

Nah, you can buy a bunch of different shells with glimmer and marks, and they drop during quests or in the Crucible. They're regular loot now.

Nori Chan

But people here complain about skins in COD, Evolve, and other game that have no affect on the actual game.

whatever, pretty sure I'll be supporting bungie with this anyways

If you’re still skeptical, you can log in next week and take a look for yourself.

I'm not skeptical because of this press release. I'm not even skeptical because of some of the horrible micro transactions we have seen throughout gaming. I'm skeptical because of everything that has happened to Destiny since it was announced. With how much GOOD this expansion has done for the game, why on earth would they think this is the right time to announce something like this regardless if it is just cosmetic? Seriously, they don't like riding on high or something.

Do I think they will add items that unbalance the game in time? I highly doubt it. I do see them eventually adding things like ammo synths, xp boosts to weapons/gear/classes, etc. (that is, if these systems are still in place with TTK).

Theorry

I dont mind. Was this suggesting since the release. These kind of games are suited for microtransactions with all customization.

Top Bottom