• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microtransactions coming to destiny

-griffy-

Banned
Got to ask - can you still not replace your ghost skinl? Only aware of the one that came with the LE and above at launch. Seemed an obvious thing for MTs

ps3ud0 8)

Since 2.0 ghost shells are now an item with stats/perks/defense level, used to increase your light level as part of end-game progression. There's a crap load of ghost shells now.

Bodom78

Considering the price of the base game and expansion I'm not OK with this and glad I skipped on TTK.

I'll never be OK with microtransactions in a fully priced game not matter how well they "handle them"

Ken

kK69EfM.gif

I've played enough dumb cash shop games to know that if the option was there to pay x$ for cool gear I would.

Also dances being cosmetic items and not actual cosmetic armor cause no transmog is lol.

kanuuna

You know what would be mean? If they'd only put that shop up for one weekend of the month, and every time the stock would be different. You'd miss out on things forever if you didn't cash in straight away! And then if trading were to become a thing, players could make a killing selling rare emotes!

Hire me!

DinoBoo

Neo Member
It's only for emotes, and they're at least being nice enough to drop some free silver into our accounts just in case. Doesn't sound bad at all; I barely make my guardian dance as is.

Now, if this oozes into other, more important parts of the game however, we're gonna have issues.

They're even giving us some of the stuff for free, nice. If they're going to add microtransactions, this seems like the right way to do it.

I'd be all for this if they use emote sales to subsidize the expansions. But if the next two expansions cost $20 each for the same amount of content the first two contained I'll be annoyed. Even if they're only cosmetic it's off putting to be charged again after what they've charged for the base game and expansions.

They're even giving us some of the stuff for free, nice. If they're going to add microtransactions, this seems like the right way to do it.
That is admittedly cool. It'd be better if they were also purchasable with game items though, even if they made it something ridiculous like 500 Motes of Light or whatever.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Purely cosmetic micro transactions are totally fine. The moment they add ANYTHING that impacts the game from a mechanics or gameplay standpoint.... :lol

Ok I'm cool with this, what i'm not cool with is yet another currency being introduced to the game. If this silver is only something that you can buy, why not just use real money instead? Does silver drop at all in the game or is the only way to get it through purchases?

It would seem that silver is just something that you buy and doesn't drop in-game. I understand the idea, because you need to differentiate it from glimmer, but also have it make sense within the game universe.

hawk2025

I'd be all for this if they use emote sales to subsidize the expansions. But if the next two expansions cost $20 each for the same amount of content the first two contained I'll be annoyed. Even if they're only cosmetic it's off putting to be charged again after what they've charged for the base game and expansions.

As suggested by the wording, I expect at the very least an increase in the amount of free and new content over the next months.

I can only hope that tons of people buy emotes so that they shift completely to a free expansions + paid cosmetics model.

Tawpgun

Actual free new content being funded by people buying cosmetic items.

Sounds like console devs are finally figuring out how to do DLC right. Glad 343 did it, now Bungie is on that train.

Jito

Banned
It would seem that silver is just something that you buy and doesn't drop in-game. I understand the idea, because you need to differentiate it from glimmer, but also have it make sense within the game universe.

Yeh I get the idea and it's cool that they're making it a part of the in game universe but adding yet another currency to the game is just overkill, even after scaling back all the currencies in TTK they've managed to create another one.

Apparently future content is going to be free(i.e the smaller expansions), being supplemented by these microtransactions.

http://kotaku.com/sources-destiny-will-get-paid-cosmetic-dlc-and-free-ne-1734800399

This is great news and more in line with what they originally advertised Destiny as, a ever expanding game with regular content updates.

Theorry

I like that.

This is all part of a new plan that could start as early as this month, according to two people familiar with Destiny’s development. Rather than sell big expansion packs like they did last year, Bungie is planning on giving out quests and missions for free, sources say. This will likely involve big drops every few months until the fall of 2016 but could also include trickles of smaller stuff throughout the year.

IvanJ

Banned
I got that one emote in 2.0 update, never used it, cannot even recall what it is. I won't even take the free ones, that's how much emotes mean to me.

fritzo

So when is it okay to have MTs in a $60 game? It seems some if not most people are okay with MTs in Destiny now? At launch would they have been upset about it, like peeps were with MGSVs MTs (which turned out to be barely there). I don't get what is the right way and wrong way to do microtransactions?

I was wondering when Activision would add their Microtransaction shit... every franchise from them has some kind of MIcrotransactions now..

Tawpgun

So when is it okay to have MTs in a $60 game? It seems some if not most people are okay with MTs in Destiny now? At launch would they have been upset about it, like peeps were with MGSVs MTs (which turned out to be barely there). I don't get what is the right way and wrong way to do microtransactions?

Right way = cosmetics

Wrong way = buying an advantage

I don't understand how anyone thinking cosmetic microtransactions is a bad thing. Especially if they mean new content will come out for free

hawk2025

Actual free new content being funded by people buying cosmetic items.

Sounds like console devs are finally figuring out how to do DLC right. Glad 343 did it, now Bungie is on that train.

Did I miss the release date of Halo 5, friend? :p

Jito

Banned

Surprisingly different people have different opinions on microtransactions, we're not a hive mind ;)

Theorry

This way.

"This is all part of a new plan that could start as early as this month, according to two people familiar with Destiny’s development. Rather than sell big expansion packs like they did last year, Bungie is planning on giving out quests and missions for free, sources say. This will likely involve big drops every few months until the fall of 2016 but could also include trickles of smaller stuff throughout the year."

ultrazilla

I'm not bothered at all by this as long as it's not important gear/weapons, etc.

Cosmetic stuff, sure.

I can see armor shaders going this route along with banners. As long as Bungie doesn't tie in gear/weapon/ammo purchases, I'll be o.k. with it.

I love the game and can see myself throwing some money their way with some microtransactions to help support them growing the game and adding additional content.

IMO, there's no reason to scream the sky is falling or be angry at this. Almost all MMOs have some type of store feature like this anyways, ie mounts, pets, etc.

Top Bottom