• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microtransactions coming to destiny

Carl

The way I see it, the only reason anyone puts up with this shitty game is because it's the only truly decent cooperative experience on consoles right now. It's the only reason I still play.

Or maybe people enjoy it? Nah that's crazy

ZangBa

really? did they at least update it so you can matchmake those raids that you previously couldn't?

sorry, i owned the game for like 2 months then sold it.

Of course not, that's just too much work for Bungie, they need to sell emotes first.

Optional matchmaking, or an in-game LFG system is just a ridiculous request for a cooperative game that is supposed to be social without any kind of social features whatsoever.

Jito

Banned
Oh no, it's happening again.

I'm one of the biggest purveyors for better in game matchmaking and LFG features but there's a time and a place people.

Cosmetic items are perfectly acceptable.

I won't lie. Tess starts selling cool ass ships and shaders and I will be there with my wallet waiting.

Caja 117

There is a Raid MM thread I think, this is about MT is this game.

Maybe I will buy some, I wasnt surprise these items were going to be sold separately

Pretty shady to announce this after everyone has bought taken King .

Yes it's vanity items for now . Eventually it will be quests lines , shrikes and maybe even a raid .

Par Score

This is on a level with Horse Armour and the Tux from MGS:V

It's shitty to nickel and dime people who've already paid ~$100 for your full priced game, regardless of how optional and cosmetic the content.

The general acceptance of this is why all these cool extras that used to be free unlocks for playing the game are now locked behind microtransactions.

GECK

Heh, yeah because an overpriced repacked 40 dollar DLC that is borderline necessary to play the game properly isn't enough to fund more development.

Deadstar

This is on a level with Horse Armour and the Tux from MGS:V

It's shitty to nickel and dime people who've already paid ~$100 for your full priced game, regardless of how optional and cosmetic the content.

The general acceptance of this is why all these cool extras that used to be free unlocks for playing the game are now locked behind microtransactions.

We have to see how this changes Destiny. If it allows them to do more unique events in the coming weeks and months then it's worth it. If nothing changes, well, nothing changes. There will be cosmetic items that you don't have to purchase and if you don't you won't be worse off for it.

sjay1994

PMPUkIA.gif

"Guys! Guys! Its a Slippery Slope!

Guys? Guys?"

If it goes beyond cosmetics, then we call them out on their shit, but for now lets just wait and see if it does effect game balance.

"But muh cheat codes"

Well if it's cosmetic items ONLY I'm comfortable with that however, given the fundamental nature of the loot-based RNG system and how intertwined and inextricably linked it is to the core balance of the game it's a VERY slippery slope and if they're not careful they can completely screw up the experience, the economy and ruin the entire game. The moment micro-transactions affect the core gameplay mechanics and progression systems in any way, shape or form I'm done. Bungie has made an enormous amount of mistakes with this game yet at the same time they have made great strides to improve it. It still has problems and issues and I feel in many ways it's been two steps forward and one step backward since launch. This is potentially a very dangerous proposition especially if they don't implement it properly and carefully given how the game works at a basic fundamental level.

DFU Bungie!

Guys! Guys! Its a Slippery Slope!
It'd be easier to make fun of slippery slope arguments if these gaming monetization schemes didn't get ever worse as publishers seek to find the limits on what the market will bear.

If there's one slope you can depend upon to get slippery, its this one.

I guess its okay not just because its cosmetic, but also because there's no other way in the game to earn emotes.

if they had done this for spaceships for example it would be bad since you have to earn your ships, even if they are also cosmetic.

Dead

well not really...yet
A good decision. People will absolutely drop the money on this stuff and will finance all the future updates barring a large expansion

So basically Destiny has almost fully made the transition to a principally mmo game.

Oh really? That sounds neat, what's your source?

My source is called activision. They are an amazing company who never rip off there customers or do shady things . Plus with Kotaku mentioning that future dlc will be microtransactions you think they are giving away the next year of content because some users brought some dance emotes ?

Orayn

My source is called activision. They are an amazing company who never rip off there customers or do shady things . Plus with Kotaku mentioning that future dlc will be microtransactions you think they are giving away the next year of content because some users brought some dance emotes ?

It's not completely without precedent. Guild Wars 2 released some pretty hefty amounts of free content that was subsidized by cosmetic/convenience microtransactions.

hawk2025

It's not about giving something because someone bought something else.

If having free expansions means higher retention and thus higher overall income due to sales of cosmetics for a larger userbase -- yes, they will give away the next year of content because some users are buying dance emotes.

There is no sub for playing Destiny, surely you guys didn't think the game would last forever without microtransactions, right?

SwolBro

Banned
ok, let me rephrase...

i'd be ok with this if other things weren't charged for like multiplayer maps

if things that didn't actually effect gameplay were charged in micro transactions i'd be ok with it. I still find it absurd but if i don't have to pay for it and it doesn't split the community then hey ok. But i'm only for it if it reduces the costs or makes other things that effect the community/gameplay free

RexNovis

Banned
This seems ok to me. Especially if it means free DLC story content/events. My only fear with the free content would be that the fact that it is free may mean even less of it this year than last year.

ironcreed

Banned
The problem lies in that they announce this after people have already bought into DLC and expansions, and have even bought the entire game twice in the span of a year as well.

Lothars

It's always the same argument from people saying the world is ending. This is exactly the same type of model guild wars has done where you buy the game and most addons and stuff will be free.

There might be a big expansion every couple years but they majority of content is free and there will be microtransactions.

I think this way of doing dlc supplemented with microtransactions is one of the best available.

Caja 117

Thats what we are going to find out in this upcoming year. But based on the backlash on past DLC and they redeeming themselves with TTK, I think they are set on a better path with a more consumer friendly offering

Plus with Kotaku mentioning that future dlc will be microtransactions you think they are giving away the next year of content because some users brought some dance emotes ?
Destiny is the holy grail platform for experimenting with microtransactions and DLC.

They could sell emotes and shaders and emblems and ships, but they could also sell ghost shells and sparrows, any of their resources and currencies (spinmetal, glimmer, motes, strange coins, legendary marks), accelerators, from simple 2x glimmer/XP/rep items to that "start at level 25" item in TTK.

That's before getting into loot or missions (would Xbox players buy those PS4 exclusive strikes and maps if they could?), or more game-changey stuff. Maybe even raids.

All of these are just possibilities, and this is only me musing on them. I don't know anything more than anybody here, but it seems to me like this game was designed for at least some of this to come to pass. And depending upon where they draw the lines this could work out in the game's favor - or better than the expansion model they're using today, which locks non-buyers out of some things.

I'm surprised that they've managed to restrain themselves so far given the game they're working with.

GECK

The problem lies in that they announce this after people have already bought into DLC and expansions, and have even bought the entire game twice in the span of a year as well.

This is so they can just milk Destiny all the way until and after the sequel. Doubtful you're going to see any major content aside from a lazily designed strike/storymission/badpvp map.

I'm all for other people paying for my free content so I hope this is as popular as everyone says it is .

But I will never trust activision and even bungie needs to earn back some respect after the disastrous launch .

I know it's just cosmetic, but damn I'm not okay with a game that already is as expensive as Destiny having any kind of micro transactions.

New (minor) content being free is not enough to justify it, specially since they already had their share of tremendously overpriced content.

Well, I'm not even sure why I'm complaining, I'm pretty much done if this game.

Destiny is the holy grail platform for experimenting with microtransactions and DLC.

They could sell emotes and shaders and emblems and ships, but they could also sell ghost shells and sparrows, any of their resources and currencies (spinmetal, glimmer, motes, strange coins, legendary marks), accelerators, from simple 2x glimmer/XP/rep items to that "start at level 25" item in TTK.

That's before getting into loot or missions (would Xbox players buy those PS4 exclusive strikes and maps if they could?), or more game-changey stuff.

I'm surprised that they've managed to restrain themselves so far given the game they're working with.

I'm a little surprised myself, beings WoW has shown that these sorts of items sell incredibly well, especially to invested players.

Omni

There is no sub for playing Destiny, surely you guys didn't think the game would last forever without microtransactions, right?
There's a sub. It's just hidden behind their content starved DLCs that you're forced to buy if you want to continue enjoying the game as you bought it.

I'm not against microtransactions but with the amount of money everyone has put into this game at this point, these things should have been free.

Top Bottom