• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microtransactions coming to destiny

mcrommert

Banned
There is literally no reason why these emotes, shaders, and ships couldn't be rewards for quest chains, random drops, or bought for in-game currency besides money.

They're trying to cut off criticism by going "Look, you get free content now!", when in reality they're only doing this because they'd make more money selling these cosmetic items rather than including them in any expansion. It all comes down to money. And these free quests are going to be text lines and slightly varied objectives on maps we've all seen.

Sure, if you don't like it, don't buy it, but that doesn't mean you can't criticize it.

Okay of course it's about money. Sixty dollars isn't enough to support the huge development budgets these games demand. Get over it. Play indie games if it bothers you so much. Destiny is a great game and if people will pay it and it doesn't affect gameplay there really isn't an issue.

u94XYGB.png

Granted that's in their contract from 2012 and it may have changed, but that's highly doubtful.

source

Cheers for the link

Okay of course it's about money. Sixty dollars isn't enough to support the huge development budgets these games demand. Get over it. Play indie games if it bothers you so much. Destiny is a great game and if people will pay it and it doesn't affect gameplay there really isn't an issue.

Development budgets...LOLLLLLLL
You mean marketing budgets, right?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Well, it's not like they didn't read and agreed on the contract before signing, so it's not like they are forced, that's something they agreed.

Correct. The wording of that forum post is off, but it still should not be surprising that these are being added.

Quonny

Why are you being so hostile? Some people don't like this, so they speak out against it. I don't like certain aspects about games I love, that doesn't mean I don't like those games.

It's like buying a sandwich, you pay the base price of a sandwich and then you have the option to add extra meat, cheese, veggies, etc.

If you want them, buy them to enhance your sandwich experience. If you don't, you can't still enjoy the sandwich.

KJRS_1993

Development budgets...LOLLLLLLL
You mean marketing budgets, right?

Errrrm. Well, you don't spend anything on marketing, you don't make your development costs back either? Or are you under the assumption they spend so much on marketing for shits and giggles?
Or was this is a deliberate daft post that went over my head?

Magwik

Banned
Errrrm. Well, you don't spend anything on marketing, you don't make your development costs back either? Or are you under the assumption they spend so much on marketing for shits and giggles?
Or was this is a deliberate daft post that went over my head?

He's just shit posting about how Destiny has no content

If this will allow the truly devoted
addicts
to buy cosmetic items so I can play new missions for free, then I'm all for this.

Good job Bungie.

if this helps expansions in the future then I'm all for it, it's one time where in happy to see microtransactions of misc things in a game.

Makes sense, it was only a matter of time. If it helps them subsidize adding smaller free content to keep the game fresh I'm all for it. Even after spending over $200 on Destiny between the special editions it's still been one of the best game purchases I've made, I've gotten so much playtime and enjoyment out of it.

BokehKing

Banned
Only game I play; I see no harm in cosmetic stuff, but if they are going to do this, go all out, let me buy a costume that makes it look like I'm surrounded by space magic fire every time i wear it

It's kind of shitty but as long as it stays cosmetic I'll be fine with it. It makes the game feel a lot slimier though. Microtransactions in AAA games rub me the wrong way.

Nonentity

I'm alright with this. As long as the content they pipe out continues with the quality of the post-story quests (voiceover with some minor content changes on maps), I'd say that is relatively worth it.

Here's hoping they put in a character recustomize, though. Made my Warlock alt look like a total doofus and it ended up being my favorite class.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
People want to hate this game so much. Holy shit this is such a non-issue and the salt coming from some people. It's so fascinating.

hawk2025

So if I'm reading this right, it's basically the exact same approach Halo 5 is taking?

Sounds great to me. Why are people complaining?

Not really. Halo 5 sells random "drops" which are essentially card packs with random content.

Those also do have content that impacts gameplay in the Warzone game mode, although only cosmetics impact the other multiplayer modes.

This (so far, at least) is selling a by construction limited number of emotes at a set price. A major difference, for example, is that it's impossible to fish "whales" with Destiny's method so far since there is a limit on how much one can even buy, and nothing is random as far as we know.

Orayn

So if I'm reading this right, it's basically the exact same approach Halo 5 is taking?

Sounds great to me. Why are people complaining?

Like Hawk2025 said, it's even more fair and conservative than Halo 5, at least initially. Halo 5 will sell random packs of stuff with the potential to affect gameplay in a specific mode, while it sounds like this will be specific single purchases of cosmetic items only.

More money, more problems.

I have a feeling the "Free DLC" they are talking about is just stuff that would have come with "free" patches to their game. Hope it works for the people still playing the game.

ZehDon

I'm actually surprised by the backlash here. If we are indeed going to get "The Dark Below" and "House of Wolves" size piece-meal DLC for free as a result of these emotes, this is a pretty incredible about-face. The biggest complaints about Destiny are/were lack of content and pricing. This could, effectively, solve both. This... seems like a good move to me?

hawk2025

I'm actually surprised by the backlash here. If we are indeed going to get "The Dark Below" and "House of Wolves" size piece-meal DLC for free as a result of these emotes, this is a pretty incredible about-face. The biggest complaints about Destiny are/were lack of content and pricing. This could, effectively, solve both. This... seems like a good move to me?

Well, we don't quite know yet if that's what this entails. It's certainly what the Kotaku piece implies, but they make it clear that it's more a rumor.

We know from before that indeed two more "$20-sized" expansions were planned for the game. We'll see how it goes.

ZehDon

Well, we don't quite know yet if that's what this entails. It's certainly what the Kotaku piece implies, but they make it clear that it's more a rumor.

We know from before that indeed two more "$20-sized" expansions were planned for the game. We'll see how it goes.
Good point. I should temper my expectations. Still, not sure the negativity is warranted given how little we know. Hopefully this noise gets Bungie's attention, and we get some clarification.

akileese

I'll give Bungie the benefit of the doubt. Sparrow skins and emotes are fine and hell, I'm even fine with them charging to redesign my character (especially since the only time you see your look is in the tower so I don't see why it matters). If this allows them to fund $20 mini expansions for free, awesome. If not, then it serves us right for giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I have a fealing that the collectors edition xtras upgrade or what ever you want to call them, they did that to test people, test prices. They learned that people were willing to pay 20$ for 3 dance emotes that last 5 seconds in animation time and a recycled vehicle with a new color and if not mistaken a new shader.

If you think those things are going to be low priced you are simply fooling yourself.

As for funding future updates? Haha yeah o....k, that's a lie. The game has made an enormous amount of cash already. You will get shity updates which are worth nothing. That yes im sure you'll get that but you will end up funding them so they can sell you the dlc. After everything this company has done are you really that naive and actually believe this bs?

What i expressed is not fact but knowing Bungies track record with Destiny .. Well you have only yourself to blame if you fall vicitm to their lies.

Two Words

Damn, this kind of kills my hopes and dreams of Destiny using the d-pad to enhance the gameplay further. They likely won't ever deprecate emotes if they sell them.

Orayn

True.

Ok so more like WoW's recently implemented cash shop.

WoW's had microtransactions for quite a long time if you count paid server changes, faction transfers, recustomization, a few of the early special edition pets and mounts, etc.

Damn, this kind of kills my hopes and dreams of Destiny using the d-pad to enhance the gameplay further. They likely won't ever deprecate emotes if they sell them.

They could still break it out to a menu. Map pointing (tap) and dancing (hold -> quick menu) emotes to the up key, down to sit, then left and right can be assigned to ammo synth or some other function/consumable.

If anything, a pop-up quick menu would only encourage MORE emote purchases, since you could have several available at a time.

Cleve

While the way this seems now is okay with me I just don't have much trust in bungie any more after how destiny launched, and even less in activision.

Top Bottom