• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mid Year 2021 GOTY Awards

Which game is your GOTY so far

• Hitman 3

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Medium

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • It Takes Two

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • Monster Hunter Rise

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Returnal

Votes: 42 24.3%
  • Resident Evil Village

Votes: 35 20.2%
  • Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart

Votes: 55 31.8%
  • Outriders

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Pokemon Snap

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
DRMT89z.jpg

We are now 6 months into the year already. What's everyone's GOTY so far? Poll is limited to 1 choice, but feel free to make lists below.

Year started off really slow for me, but it has picked up in the last month and a half.

1. RE8 - Visually stunning, spectacular boss fights and some really fun combat makes it the perfect game for me. Really couldn't have asked for more.
2. Returnal - An audiovisual masterpiece. Best use of Dualsense and 3D audio in a game yet. Wholly original too. 3rd person rougelikes need to become a thing. Some progression issues and a lackluster story keep it from the top spot.
3. It Takes Two - Arguably the most creative and joyous games of the last few years. Setpiece after ingenious setpiece. I am quite frankly baffled by how varied and clever this game feels.
4. Ratchet - Another visual feast. Great combat. Probably the most next gen game of the bunch. Just wish it was half as creative as It Takes Two.

Returnal and It takes two. Gonna play RE8 and Ratchet this week to see if the ranking changes for me.

Edit: Finished RE8, it's moved to my NO.1 now. God I just so dig the gothic settings. Level design and combat are both great proved from the two remakes.

Last edited:
erZf0QE.jpg

Never thought I'd pick an EA game as one of my favorites of the year, but I haven't had this much fun with a new team-based multiplayer IP since maybe Chivalry or Rocket League.

It's a dodgeball game with some ugly looking characters, but it's fun as hell knocking the glasses off of them and the stage designs are pretty cool.

1. Returnal - and it's not even close. Bold, dangerous, different and uncompromising in it's vision, all praise due to SONY for continuing to support new IP's like this 5 generations and running

2. Hitman 3 - IO has created another killer entry in their barcode assassin simulator, absolutely love this series.

3. Yakuza Like a Dragon - well this officially released late last year but the PS5 version launched this spring and that's what I played it on. Kasuga is a worthy successor to my boy Kaz and the switch to JRPG combat works *beautifully*.

4. Ratchet & Clank - jaw-droppingly gorgeous, fantastic DualSense implementation, ultimately more of the same (and that's A-Ok).

5. Oddworld Soulstorm - unfortunate that this game launched with some serious bugs but it was free on PS+ so I won't complain *too* much. Been a fan of this series since the original, nothing else like it in gaming and the newest entry adds some cool new stuff while making QoL improvements.

That's my top 5 so far. I beat RE Village twice and while I think it's a *good* game I don't get the third-coming-of-Christ praise for it. RE7 is far superior and as on OG RE fan I don't even have Village in my top 5 for the franchise, I understand I'm in the minority though.

bender

What time is it?
Save for It Takes Two, I've played all of these games and Monster Hunter Rise is the easy choice. Nothing else has really come close. Hitman 3, RE8, R&C and Pokemon Snap are also a good time.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I've only played Hitman 3 and MH Rise from the options and both are great games. That being said Hitman 3 really stands out when you have the other games all in one "package" while MH Rise stands on its own. Voted Rise for being another great MH game and bringing something new to the series.

However, if we're including Hitman VR with Hitman 3 then I'd give it the edge.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For me halfway through 2021 -

1. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
2. Outriders
3. Resident Evil VIII: Village

My expectation once the year ends -

1. Halo Infinite
2. Dying Light 2
3. Far Cry 6

april6e

MH: Rise is killing their chances by not releasing a console or PC version this year. That should have been prioritized which how desperately gamers want a sequel to the excellent World.

This is the most up in the air year for GOTY that I can remember in the last decade. No game that has come out this year has made a clear case.

TheSweeper

For me it's Mass Effect Legendary Edition so far. They cautiously upgraded my favorite games and I had a lot of fun replaying the trilogy once more.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Its either It takes 2 or hitman 3.

As much as ratchet is graphical show, the game is just ratchet, nothing more, nothing less. Just like how forza 4 was just a racing car.

Those 2 games, I mentioned have rich gameplay. You don't need wow graphics to enjoy them. All 3 platforms agree, that those 2, are the best of this year.

Plus ratchet would need to compete with miles Morales. Unless people consider that, not a game.

Graphics=/=Gameplay. Gameplay would always win. And ratchet doesn't have that. Or else, it wouldn't have faded away from the media by now.

skit_data

Returnal

Atmospheric, challenging and fresh. I want Housemarque to create a spiritual successor ASAP, because it’s easily the most interesting game I’ve played in a while.

Now when most bugs are sorted and the game has been patched I would consider it almost criminal to not try the game out if you like games like Doom and Metroid Prime.

Edit: …and it looks like we will get one! Sony just bought Housemarque!

Last edited:

skit_data

Aren't you better than assuming anyone who doesn't agree with you must be ignorant about video games . I played It Takes Two. It's really good.

Except Returnal was better.
I haven’t played It Takes Two yet but it too is one of those games that seem to make the inudstry move forward.

I also love Josef Fares, Kopps is a great film

Jadsey

Why on earth is The Medium on this list??

I voted for Returnal.

It narrowly beats Rift Apart for me although both are obviously masterpieces.

Raekwon26

Its either It takes 2 or hitman 3.

As much as ratchet is graphical show, the game is just ratchet, nothing more, nothing less. Just like how forza 4 was just a racing car.

Those 2 games, I mentioned have rich gameplay. You don't need wow graphics to enjoy them. All 3 platforms agree, that those 2, are the best of this year.

Plus ratchet would need to compete with miles Morales. Unless people consider that, not a game.

Graphics=/=Gameplay. Gameplay would always win. And ratchet doesn't have that. Or else, it wouldn't have faded away from the media by now.
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Top Bottom