• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Tizoc

Ratbag
is a bro,
it'll be a shame to kill him eventually

Yep. After 8 consecutive hits, your hit counter turns red and then you can Execute (it's one of the first skills you can unlock).

It's insta-kill on regular grunts, so very nice for cutting down a huge group to a more manageable level. With Captains and the like, they need to be at a low amount of health or they'll just block it. Not sure it ever works if they're strong against combat finishers, but I'm still playing around with the system.

Against Captains it does a good chunk of damage, have yet to go against one who blocks them though, but I like some of the weaknesses some of these captains have... Like how I 1-shot killed one with a headshot. Really I just headshotted the poor sucker and he died XD

The runes' bonuses seem so random that I don't bother with them TBH, I just equip whatever, just wish I never got to see the cutscene of an extra rune slot on my freakin' weapon everytime I get a new one >_>;

I was doing a vendetta mission and holy shit you weren't kidding.

T2Po9Nj.jpg

...but y'know it's whatever.

50yf2ix.jpg

My latest headache is this ranged bastard Krimp the Stinger who is able to just start up an AoE poison cloud around him at will. I finally got him but I get the feeling he'll be back. Poison is by far the thing that messes me up the most, even though I play with no counter icons it still disorients the hell out of me.

Ahhhh....Find a nice vantage point, lure him over and jump stealth kill that fool! All those other strengths don't matter when stealth killed. lol.

EDIT: Nevermind, you figured it out. I hope the previous poster got the hint. lol.

Eyeron

Grr. I'm trying to hold out for the inevitable buy 2 get 1 sale at Target but these impressions are not making it easy. Sounds like my cup o' tea.

The online stuff seems wonky on the PS4 dashboard. I have +/- 200 gaffers on my friends list but it said only 5 of my friends have the game. Many in this thread don't show up yet for some reason.

Add me for more avenge missions, guys! PSN; Dienekes21

I'll try to remember to add you.

Add me, too. I have 100+ friends on my list and only 1 person was playing this game last night. 20+ people on Destiny every night. Ugh.

PSN: WheelHoss1

Maybe we need a Friends Finder thread like Diablo had or something. I want Avenge missions!

That archer (forge a something) challenge was such bullshit.

Oh sure take out 10 guys with headshots, no problem.

Okay, so they are firing from both sides and there isn't much cover and they respawn fast...I can still do this.

I get to 6/10 shots in about a minute, less when about 12 archers show up at the start position that I'm firing from - while the other guys are also at their positions. The fuck. My first death :/

1xr3cdA.jpg

May have misjudged the challenge and situation, looking back at the screenshot.

yup, my first death was there

Moff

Okay, so they are firing from both sides and there isn't much cover and they respawn fast...I can still do this.

I get to 6/10 shots in about a minute, less when about 12 archers show up at the start position that I'm firing from - while the other guys are also at their positions. The fuck. My first death :/

1xr3cdA.jpg

yeah I was really glad I could just touch the mouse (I play with the 360 pad on pc) and the game fluently changed to keyboard/mouse controls and I could easily headshot all of them.

1xr3cdA.jpg

Assuming that's the same challenge I tried, there's a spot behind the tent that has some cover with sandbags. I just keep my back to the tent so the archers on the opposite side can't hit me, and I focus my shots on the orcs across my spot of cover. If its in the same area you'll probably be able to pass it with this strategy.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Yeah, this game is very enjoyable, I do not think I would enjoy it as much if they did not implement the nemesis system. I cannot help imagine what else this system could be put into, I was fantasizing things like star wars. mmmmmmm.

I think it's a safe bet to imagine it will come to many many games considering how much fun it is here. Essentially every similar type game from now on will be compared to this system.

Special C

SO are these Orcs actually coming back to life via some Sauron mumbo Jumbo? Or do you just "think" you killed them? Get my copy tonight so I havent played yet. Just sounds weird that this happens.

I personally love the decapitation of captains. I make screenshots like they're my personal trophies.

[IM]http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/540754448924072283/597CAAB9B25B4BF45DBC01D09C2B77575F44606E/[/IMG]

[IM]http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/540754448924073981/61FFC316C4589260CC3EE93888A2DAD43DA56B5C/[/IMG]

How are you personally doing decapitations? Are you pressing buttons to get it for sure?

I'm so happy that the Nemesis System turned out to be something genuinely cool and not some half assed bullet point for the back of the box.

I'm so happy that the Nemesis System turned out to be something genuinely cool and not some half assed bullet point for the back of the box.

Yeah.

Not only is it fun, it's also set a new standard for content in procedural systems. The models, voices, etc. are so varied and exceptionally done. Monolith has really raised the bar... I hope others are prepared to pass it.

hbkdx12

So i just learned the brutalized kill and now i have a blast finding low level captains that are weak to stealth kills and i'll do an Air brutalized kill and watch all his followers flee and i stand there like Uma Thurman from kill bill and the crazy 88 scene and pretend I'm giving them the speech about how they can take their lives but their limbs belong to me and that they're all running away broken and battered and then i'll catch a stray uruk running by me here or there and stealth kill them to drive home the point

hehe :)

Apathy

Agreed, but some half ass version of it will surely start showing up in other games I bet just like new innovations tend to do.

Dr Dogg

I don't know if anyone has noticed or twigged this yet but there's a very nice quirk regards to the resolution scale setting on the PC version.

If you let Shadow of Mordor handle your resolution scaling (more over to scale down) then the UI is displayed at the resolution either your desktop is set to or in the freak cases the highest resolution available to you system (I've got some crazy custom res' and none showed up). So what does this mean? Well there's been a couple of games that have decoupled the UI elements from the internal 3D rendering as of late so you can still get a crisp UI whilst dialing back the resolution the game renders in so you have some flexibility for your hardware, So a system with a display resolution on say 1920x1080 but couldn't really power that could scale the resolution back in game by what ever % down to 50 and still have the UI displayed at 1920x1080. So it's one less sacrifice for folk with older or lesser hardware so they don't have to put up with a blurry UI bellow their native resolution.

Anyone here have steam id of GlitchKing? If yes you will be happy to know that i avenged you, twice. Yes twice, get your shit together bro.

Though it's weird that I have vendetta missions for ppl outside my fl.

I don't know if anyone has noticed or twig this yet but there's a very nice quirk regards to the resolution scale setting on the PC version.

If you let Shadow of Mordor handle your resolution scaling (more over to scale down) then the UI is displayed at the resolution either your desktop is set to or in the freak cases the highest resolution available to you system (I've got some crazy custom res' and none showed up). So what does this mean? Well there's been a couple of games that have decoupled the UI elements from the internal 3D rendering as of late so you can still get a crisp UI whilst dialing back the resolution the game renders in so you have some flexibility for your hardware, So a system with a display resolution on say 1920x1080 but couldn't really power that could scale the resolution back in game by what ever % down to 50 and still have the UI displayed at 1920x1080. So it's one less sacrifice for folk with older or lesser hardware so they don't have to put up with a blurry UI.

That explains alot. It is a very welcome change.

WELL DONE YET AGAIN, MONOLITH.

So I can't believe I actually believed Kotaku when they had said it took them 21 hours or so to complete the main story with 30% completion.

Just finished the main story, having watched all the cutscenes and everything, with 41% completion in 10 hours.

I'm disappointed. It was a nice ride while it lasted, but I'm hoping in a similar jump from Arkham Asylum to Arkham City in the next Middle-earth game.

Tizoc

So I think the game has some kind of 'revenge system'? Where you kill an Orc boss that killed one of the people on your friendlist? Cuz i got one during my recent Steam play.
...had to kill 3 other Orc bosses first though I think and I still had to run around looking for that specific orc XD.

bargeparty

I haven't put too much time into this yet, but does anyone else think the movement, both for Talion and the camera is a little.. wonky? It's not as a smooth as I would've thought (PS4).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is there a way of clearing stronghold areas? Every time I go to one to take out a specific captain I always end up fighting 5 or 6 at once and about 50 other orcs.

Dr Dogg

That explains alot. It is a very welcome change.

WELL DONE YET AGAIN, MONOLITH.

There's been a few games like that recently. Dead Rising 3 had separate display and rending resolutions and Ryse has the same in the settings Crytek posted the other week. It's not a new thing but it's good to see hopefully more control over UI display (and hopefully position) is going to become more common in the very near future in multiplats.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I haven't put too much time into this yet, but does anyone else thing the movement, both for Talion and the camera is a little.. wonky? It's not as a smooth as I would've thought (PS4).
I thought so too at first. Got used to the character movement but had to olay with the camera sensitivity a bit to get it feeling right. It has a strange acceleration to it.

I haven't put too much time into this yet, but does anyone else thing the movement, both for Talion and the camera is a little.. wonky? It's not as a smooth as I would've thought (PS4).

Nope. Seems smooth to me. The camera is a little too up close to Talion but that's about it. The combat isn't really laggy as some describe it. I think the inputs are muted in-between animations IMO.

jpax

Got a question. I killed 2 captains in an uruk camp but before I could get the runes I was killed, because I was grabbing uruks instad of picking up the runes. Are these runes lost forever? Or did they just disappear and will randomly reapear?

JimPanzer

damn I got some lvl 15-20 captains I just can't seem to kill. One is only weak to arrows, if I start shooting at him he's regenerating faster than I can damage him. I`m at the point where I have to kill 4 warchiefs (one down so far). what to do with the hige level captains?

Erban1

How are you personally doing decapitations? Are you pressing buttons to get it for sure?

Gotta play more to test, but performing executions on captains when the icon over their head is green has always resulted in decaps based on the few hours I've played. If you're able to down a captain (stars over his head) and perform the ground finisher they should be vulnerable for an execution move.

This game is a hell of a lot of fun, I rushed into battle a few many times and this diseased bastard has grown to level 17 thanks to him seemingly always being around. Gonna jump in tonight and get my sweet revenge. Nemesis really is a game changer

GravyButt

Played game a lot yesterday and today. Very fun game, but it is repetitive in ways after a while, but my hats off to the devs though on the nemesis system. Total fn gamechanger. Wish I could keep playing but because of my brain injury it destroys my head big time. Oh well, shouldve known since batman destroys me too. /endpityparty

I think my favorite captain kill so far was watching the guy I was chasing run right into a Graug and getting smacked a few yards into a wall.

Top Bottom