• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Camper182

Anybody else tryed redownloading?
Finished the tutorial but have to wait until the download is complete now.

pfff.... feels like developers are only making use of the partial dowload system for 15 min of the game and then you have to wait until it downloads the other 24
gb...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So, is it really 60 fps on PS4? The Giant Bomb Quick Look is not 60 fps and they usually show things at full frame-rate.

Xando

pfff.... feels like developers are only making use of the partial dowload system for 15 min of the game and then you have to wait until it downloads the other 24
gb...

I think it would be pretty hard to put the open world into 4GB of download without it looking like a PS2 game.

Garibaldi

Me: I wants it. The precious! Give it to me!
Amazon: You shall not Pass!
Me: *sulks* Stupid fat hobbit!

Edit: yay member! No longer a peasant.

Jindrael

Banned
No worries, if you only buy it now on US PSN you can just download and play on your EU account with trophy support and stuff like that

Thanks for the fast answer, might just snatch it a day early than to avoid having to buy Shadow of Mordor and Smash on the same day :D

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
This preorder timer problem for people who bought and preloaded the game from US PSN happened to another gaffer with PvZ.
If restoring licenses etc. fail, just delete it and download the full version again. Seems to be the only 100% working "fix".

Saiyan-Rox

So they ended up unlocking the game early then but not in the uk? if so that's a load of bollocks :(

EDIT: Wait it is out even here but no codes yet? wtf is happening :(

Xando

So they ended up unlocking the game early then but not in the uk? if so that's a load of bollocks :(

EDIT: Wait it is out even here but no codes yet? wtf is happening :(

There seems to be a glitch with preloading.

Try restoring your license, if that doesnt work you have to redownload like i do :(

KooopaKid

Banned
That cloak, so good.

blqfqs.png

I'm no graphic whore but that doesn't look good at all. Is that "next-gen"?

Saiyan-Rox

There seems to be a glitch with preloading.

Try restoring your license, if that doesnt work you have to redownload like i do :(

I don't have it on my steam at all :( They didn't give the codes out because warner stopped the game unlocking until 6pm for us but since that's changed and all i thought our codes would be given earlier but I guess not.

Wallach

So PS4 version is not 60fps?

No, clearly 30 FPS.

I just started the game; the tutorial for the combat is total shit. The game says to use triangle to counter enemy attacks. The first actual enemy it put me against once it gave me control after the intro apparently can't be countered, because this does not function against him even though it shows the same triangle prompt over his head. Why? Who knows. I basically died in 30 seconds because I have no idea what the fuck is even happening.

Xando

I don't have it on my steam at all :( They didn't give the codes out because warner stopped the game unlocking until 6pm for us but since that's changed and all i thought our codes would be given earlier but I guess not.

Oh steam. i thought PS4 sorry.

Xando

I just started the game; the tutorial for the combat is total shit. The game says to use triangle to counter enemy attacks. The first actual enemy it put me against once it gave me control after the intro apparently can't be countered, because this does not function against him even though it shows the same triangle prompt over his head. Why? Who knows. I basically died in 30 seconds because I have no idea what the fuck is even happening.

Just played the tutorial and had no problems.

Hurley

So was the ps4 version ever confirmed to be 60fps? I haven't been following the game really until review scores came out and even then i wasn't watching any streams of it.

From what I played at the start it's definitely not 60fps.

bombshell

Thanks for the fast answer, might just snatch it a day early than to avoid having to buy Shadow of Mordor and Smash on the same day :D

Just remember to go into the settings on your US account and activate your PS4 as the primary system for that account.

This enables you to play any game on your EU account bought on your US account.

Coiote

Smooth 30 fps then?

I didn't play much, but it seemed to be smooth 30 fps even when the screen was crowded with orcs. Yet, I am a little disappointed, because 60 fps was a selling point for me.

There have been a staggering number of 1080p/60fps "confirmations" in this thread.

Where did that line originally come from?

Game looks wonderful either way though.

Yes, I was suspecting that something was fishy about this whole fps debacle . Why would the devs be silent about a selling point? The "confirmations" here made me forget about it, but in the end they were just fans trying to affirm their expectations.

f@luS

More than a member.
Damn my amazon digital code isnt working and amazon says its à known issue and can take à day :(

dark10x

PS4 exclusive with photo mode =/= Multiplatfrom title running ingame.
You're mistaken about the photo mode inFamous in the sense that it is always running in real-time. You manipulate the camera and effects in real-time and use the OS capture feature. Photo mode shots are not enhanced.

Jack cw

You're mistaken about the photo mode inFamous in the sense that it is always running in real-time. You manipulate the camera and effects in real-time and use the OS capture feature.
That's what I meant. You have a mode where you can go for great image quality.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
So was the ps4 version ever confirmed to be 60fps? I haven't been following the game really until review scores came out and even then i wasn't watching any streams of it.

From what I played at the start it's definitely not 60fps.

Some people think (that their idea of) smooth must mean 60fps.
They somehow miss the obvious ghosting/double image/whatever you want to call it that comes with all 30fps games.
Haven't seen this game in person, though. I could tell definitively in one second just by turning the camera if I had.

dark10x

That's what I meant. You have a mode where you can go for great image quality.
Yeah, but in the past, photo mode shots were enhanced with extra AA beyond what the system could do in real-time. When you take a photo in GT6 or Forza 5, for instance, you setup the shot but you don't see what you're taking in real-time.

For those PC gamers wondering: I'm slicing through orcs using keyboard and mouse and the sense of flow is amazing. Actually better than the Arkham games, where I felt compelled to use a controller.

I know this is still the honeymoon phase but, damn, this game really delivers.

Jack cw

Yeah, but in the past, photo mode shots were enhanced with extra AA beyond what the system could do in real-time. When you take a photo in GT6 or Forza 5, for instance, you setup the shot but you don't see what you're taking in real-time.

Sure, but neither Shadows of Mordor, nor Infamous had something like that and a comparison of random screenshots is silly. One has a mode where you can really make captures that are artistic while the other is just a screen capture of an ingame situation in an relative barren environment, with flat lighting and not much going on the screen.

R_Deckard

There have been a staggering number of 1080p/60fps "confirmations" in this thread.

Where did that line originally come from?

Game looks wonderful either way though.

I played this on PS4 at EGX last week and it WAS unlocked so ran upto 60fps there and felt great for me, they must have decided to Lock it to 30 last minute I guess. From my play I would have left it unlocked, seems odd?

My PC version has unlocked now but cannot play till I finish work :-(

JayEH

Played a bit. The voice acting is really good and I like the music. Gameplay makes you feel like a badass but I think the controls are a bit wonky and unresponsive though. Overall I'm liking it and I haven't even gone deep at all in the nemesis system.

Oh and also I think the game throws a lot at you at once and kinda just throws you into the world.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Sure, but neither Shadows of Mordor, nor Infamous had something like that and a comparison of random screenshots is silly. One has a mode where you can really make captures that are artistic while the other is just a screen capture of an ingame situation in an relative barren environment, with flat lighting and not much going on the screen.

People posted hundreds of very pretty shots before photo mode was even added to Infamous.

ps4:
tutorial wasnt confusing
frame rate is smooth in game its not 30 of course probably 50 plus i dont know, didnt think about fps when playing and thats all i cared about.
everything was preloaded a day ago or more, as far as i can see.
game is fun, its really enjoyable going from one kind of stealth kill to the next.

Top Bottom