• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Camper182

You know what? I don't mind 30 - 40 fps as long as the controls are responsive, but they are pretty unresponsive in this game, there's a slight delay on everything i do... especially noticeable when aiming the bow

Destiny pulled it off very nicely at a lower framerate (locked 30), the controls in that game were actually smooth.

Patroclos

Banned
Sorry if this has been answered, y'all, but I can't seem to access the Legion Edition content. There's a lock icon next to the PS Store link in the game's menu; I'm assuming that's where it is?

Any idea what this is about? I'm using an AU account to play it (US), but I've tried accessing it via my US account, as well as restoring licenses.

Much appreciated, guys.

Same for me. US store. US account.

Lord Phol

So many different and clashing opinions from everyone, it's quite funny :p. Not batman, really batman, not 60fps, definetly 60fps etc.

especially noticeable when aiming the bow

Destiny pulled it off very nicely at a lower framerate (locked 30), the controls in that game were actually smooth.

my guess is moving the bow aim is supposed to be janky. it should not be point and shoot to fire a bow, makes it too easy.

THRILLH0

Banned
Who would have thought that the Gamefaqs sources and YouTube comments stating that the game was 1080/60 on PS4 and 720/30 on XB1 were all full of shit in different directions for each platform.

So weird!

cheezcake

Well this was an interesting bug

bcsRPdX.jpg

Also the nemesis system is just way more amazingly fun than I anticipated

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
People who can't tell if a game is 30FPS or 60FPS need to get their eyes checked. Seriously.

MMaRsu

Banned
You know what? I don't mind 30 - 40 fps as long as the controls are responsive, but they are pretty unresponsive in this game, there's a slight delay on everything i do... especially noticeable when aiming the bow

Xbox one?

GavinUK86

I can't even select my monitors native resolution.

All I get are some crazy, ultra high choices with a percentage next to them.

Anyone getting this too?

Jack cw

Who would have thought that the Gamefaqs sources and YouTube comments stating that the game was 1080/60 on PS4 and 720/30 on XB1 were all full of shit in different directions for each platform.

So weird!

Even more amazing that absolutely no one on this board fell for it.
It looks like we have a 900p30fps vs 1080p unlocked fps situtation here. After a year, SDK updates and 10% extra it would be a rather big difference.

People who can't tell if a game is 30FPS or 60FPS need to get their eyes checked. Seriously.

If it was binary 30 or 60 that obvious would be pretty easy to see, often times it's harder to tell 30 or 50fps apart from each other (on an NTSC or PAL60 display at least) due to how stuttering can make a frame rate seem worse, or even 50 to 60fps if you aren't easily bothered by such stutters.

I honestly believe we'll see it around the 40-50fps on average on PS4. It would mesh completely with their "trying to reach 60" and with how some people are calling it 30 and others calling it 60.

Anyone getting this too?

Tons of people are, it's from having custom resolutions.

Carlius

Banned

Anyone getting this too?

yes, it uses downsamling instead of AA. if you have an nvidia card, and are using custom resoltuoins, dsiable them as well as untikcing GPU Scaling in nvidia control panel

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
13 minutes in, barely touching the open world, and it's clear as day this game isn't for me. Uninteresting combat, design vision and concepts clearly stripped straight from Assassin's Creed, and brown mud as far as they eye can see. I'll play a bit more to see the nemesis system unfold, but I'm getting the exact same vibe from Shadows of Mordor as I get from Assassin's Creed; the core gameplay is just so dull and boring I can't give a fuck about the big picture.

Agreed, i am really struggling with the controls. combat is ok but exploration/platforming feels a bit off.

Uga

So... any answer regarding Amazon US download codes in EU? Tried a couple of times online, can't redeem it. Anyone else tried/managed to redeem it?

well i frame counted rotating the world on the tutorial bridge by watching an 8x slo-mo iphone6 video, and its ~30 but the same rotation out in the world, or for that matter, in the hall with wifey, looks smoother, just dont know what it reaches because i would rather play.

fun single player game, i like it much more than the first hour of tomb raider DE. Square to attack was hard to get used to. In the first 20 minutes you already have a large number of moves to learn. Protagonist moves very slowly by default as though he hasnt a care in the world even when surrounded.

13 minutes in, barely touching the open world, and it's clear as day this game isn't for me. Uninteresting combat, design vision and concepts clearly stripped straight from Assassin's Creed, and brown mud as far as they eye can see. I'll play a bit more to see the nemesis system unfold, but I'm getting the exact same vibe from Shadows of Mordor as I get from Assassin's Creed; the core gameplay is just so dull and boring I can't give a fuck about the big picture.

I can see that. You should play it until you get full control of the nemesis system that seems like the best thing about the game.

Come on, man. Do not give up. Give it a few more hours. I am sure there is something in there that will eventually make you fall in love with this game, and the 2nd Map is a bit more colorful than the first one so you can look forward to that.

MMaRsu

Banned

Wow give it a chance. Second world is a green lush map.

That's something I worried about. The concept in the AC games always seemed fun, but the execution was pretty dull. Guess I won't be picking this up for a long time.

Hoo-doo

Banned

The same thing was mentioned in the GB quicklook. A lot of similarities to Assassin's Creed, only it's actually fun and well done. As someone who thinks the AC games are about as fun as watching paint dry, i'm curious to read what you think a few hours in.

lmbotiva

I really dont care about the game being 30 instead of 60, i just want to know if it is a smooth 30 and what about screen tearing, if anyone with the ps4 version can asnwer those questions please, screen tearing specially, have my copy waiting for me at BB so screen tear is a deal breaker for me

Not sure if I'm recalling this, or just hoping it...but if you're in Australia, can you play now if you buy it digitally on PS4? I'm almost tempted to shell out $99...despite the fact that I've pre-ordered for $59.99. But at the same time, I'm going to have to download it on a 12mbps connection.

Physical release is a week away (8th).

overcast

Seems like the Giant Bomb guys like it based off the Quick Look. Skimmed through pretty quick and jumped off, don't want to spoil too much.

MMaRsu

Banned
Not sure if I'm recalling this, or just hoping it...but if you're in Australia, can you play now if you buy it digitally on PS4? I'm almost tempted to shell out $99...despite the fact that I've pre-ordered for $59.99. But at the same time, I'm going to have to download it on a 12mbps connection.

Physical release is a week away (8th).

If you buy from the us store u can play now

fedexpeon

Banned

I hate Ubisoft and its AC+rehash/modded open world games, but this game doesn't have that negative perspective from what I have seen so far.
And the core gameplay due to multiple weapons+skills is much better than AC smoke bomb+X gameplay.
However, I can see why you would get bored though since the QTE+execution scene is awful after seeing 100x times.
I never understand why devs think it is a good idea to put in slow-mo execution scene, such a waste of resources.

I ran into a double orc-captain group randomly and got facestomped because one of them had some poison arrow or something. At least I think it was based on screen effects. Anyway the open world is not as much of a pushover as I thought it might be. You can flee pretty well, but standing and fighting can be real tough in some situations - which is a balance I think AC never got right, at least the ones I played.

I'm only 50 minutes in though.

Wallach

I really dont care about the game being 30 instead of 60, i just want to know if it is a smooth 30 and what about screen tearing, if anyone with the ps4 version can asnwer those questions please, screen tearing specially, have my copy waiting for me at BB so screen tear is a deal breaker for me

It's been a smooth experience for me so far, and there has been zero tearing.

Rootbeer

Banned
Really happy that the PC reqs were somewhat exaggeraed unless you are running 1440 with ultra textures, in which case they were still pretty close (4+GB VRAM used, so 6GB VRAM req is a safe recommendation)

PS4 version arrives tomorrow, and if I dig it enough, I may rebuy on Steam after I build a new PC in Q1 2015.

Love me some LotR games (or good fantasy games, period)!

ValfarHL

Ugh, doesnt bode well for me. Assassins Creed bores me to tears. Is the combat as fluid as the Batman games atleast?

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Yeah not liking the camera movement, feels very sluggish. Using 360 pad on PC also, and it has Metro's problem where if you rotate the aiming analog stick in a circle, the in game crosshair moves in a square shape.

Top Bottom