• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor PC Performance Thread

Thrakier

Did you give Borderless Windowed mode a try?

Yes. Doesn't make a difference. I'm using MSI Afterburner. The frametimes it shows in game via OSD is fine, but when you look in the frame analysis afterwards, there are constantly tiny jumps between 16 and 70(!). GTX 970 here, almost on 980 level. The game itself is realtively smooth, but never 100% smooth. There is always a stutter here and there. A bit annoying.

Nafai1123

Banned
So I just got my buddies old 680 4GB and decided to get this game on PC. Started playing the first time last night.

All settings on Ultra (high textures) and I'm hitting 60fps a majority of the time. The problem is that the tearing is fucking atrocious without Vsync and with it on it will drop down to 30fps with any dips. For now I'm capping it at 30fps but I'm wondering if there's a way to get triple buffered vsync working? I can deal with slight dips to ~50 but those 30 fps dips are just terrible.

Also, it's pretty crazy this game has no AA options outside of supersampling.

JohnGrimm

So I just got my buddies old 680 4GB and decided to get this game on PC. Started playing the first time last night.

All settings on Ultra (high textures) and I'm hitting 60fps a majority of the time. The problem is that the tearing is fucking atrocious without Vsync and with it on it will drop down to 30fps with any dips. For now I'm capping it at 30fps but I'm wondering if there's a way to get triple buffered vsync working? I can deal with slight dips to ~50 but those 30 fps dips are just terrible.

Borderless + VSync gives you triple buffering.

Levyne

Banned

Yeah, I forced some SMAA through sweetfx just to have some sort of AA

SpyGuy239

I couldn't even tell the difference when I switched to ultra on my 970.

Yeah, I decided to go with everything Ultra except textures and Downsample at 150%. Don't notice the difference, but love the "AA"!

Turned off V-Sync, average frames at >45 with very little tearing. Perfection :)

Yeah, I decided to go with everything Ultra except textures and Downsample at 150%. Don't notice the difference, but love the "AA"!

This is what I've done as well, except I turned down shadows and AO one notch as well in order to maintain 60 FPS. Even 150% downsampling looks fantastic. Significantly reduces aliasing to the point where I've never noticed any while playing.

Maogp

So I'm getting horrible perfomance randomly, with the following system:

I7 5820K@4.3GHZ
16GB DDR4@2133MHZ
G1 970 SLI
840 EVO SSD
Windows 8.1 Pro
Driver: 334.16

I set Nvidia setting in Shadow of Mordor to Force Alternate frame rendering to 2.

I get SLI then and benchmark with FPS uncapped hits the engine limit of 100FPS average, Max is some ludricous number and Min always low because of some initial start.

So I start the actual game, the beginning tutorial everything at ultra settings besides ultra textures with 1080P resolution,getting constant 90-100FPS,then the rainy part where the Uruks show up and my fps hits below 55FPS.

Then on the open world map, I get constant 90-100FPS and randomly it will drop to 45-50FPS and fluctuates and then after a while randomly goes back to normal.

I think its the SLI as my GPU 2 is not utilized to its full potential, I did set "Prefer maximumm perfomance" in the Nvidia control panell.

Is forcing alternate frame rendering to 2 the best SLI implemntation until it is officialy updated? or is there a better method?

Thanks.

Note: Other games run perfectly like BF4, all possible settings maxed on 1080P I'm hitting 150+FPS, heck even downsawmpling from 2650 x 1440 and I get constant 80+FPS, yet this game is weird.(I'm hoping its the SLI)

Maybe your problem is for your 840 EVO SSD:

https://www.google.it/?gws_rd=ssl#q...www.google.it/?gws_rd=ssl#q=840+EVO+SSD+issue

Thrakier

This is what I've done as well, except I turned down shadows and AO one notch as well in order to maintain 60 FPS. Even 150% downsampling looks fantastic. Significantly reduces aliasing to the point where I've never noticed any while playing.

I got a 970 as well, almost running on 980 level, and even with these settings, as soon as downsampling comes into play I have no chance to hold a solid 60FPS. Solid = 95% of the time. Not even speaking about AO Ultra and shadows ultra...

And then the second area....how do you guys keep 60FPS there?

My i52500k runs at 4.1ghz.

Rip

Borderless + VSync gives you triple buffering.

Do none of you get stuttering with this? I have to turn aero off to kill the stuttering and then obviously borderless window with vsync isnt going to work.

It is like a faint stutter every once in awhile.

Do none of you get stuttering with this? I have to turn aero off to kill the stuttering and then obviously borderless window with vsync isnt going to work.

It is like a faint stutter every once in awhile.

I used to have this problem in a lot of games but it just seemed to stop happening one day and I'm not really sure why. Are you using multiple monitors or a frame rate cap in addition to borderless windowed mode?

Rip

I used to have this problem in a lot of games but it just seemed to stop happening one day and I'm not really sure why. Are you using multiple monitors or a frame rate cap in addition to borderless windowed mode?

I am actually using two monitors and you know what? I disabled my second monitor and for the first time ever borderless windowed ran smooth with no stutter. It was glorious.

Thrakier

Does this game have a lock to 60FPS? I don't get above 60FPS for whatever reason.

- disabled vsync in game and Framerate limit as well
- disabled in the driver
- no external framelimiter/buffer

Still sits at 60FPS. Any idea?

Levyne

Banned
The game is locked to 100 fps, to my knowledge. This may seem like a dumb question but do you have a 60hz monitor? (I just can't think of another reason. )

Qassim

Yep - the game is locked at 100fps. I know because I'm frustratingly hitting that constantly, and on a G-Sync monitor I'd like to go higher.

Are you running the game in a border-less window mode?

Thrakier

The game is locked to 100 fps, to my knowledge. This may seem like a dumb question but do you have a 60hz monitor? (I just can't think of another reason. )

I got the reason. For some reason the framerate limit in after burner is always active, even when the program isn't running...

b0uncyfr0

Guys, maybe it's been mentioned here before, but I can't get my game in my screen resolution (which is 1680x1050). How can I do?

I think you need to ensure you're in full-screen mode instead of any other mode. I know with DSR enabled + Borderless mode, you cant use the other resolutions except for 150% and 200% which is really costly performance wise.

If anyone's got answers to these id be really grateful:

1) SMAA or FXAA, which is better? I heard SMAA isnt very good and Nvidia FXAA seems very costly. Should i be using SweetFx FXAA instead of Nvidia?

2) Like i said above, DSR doesnt work in Borderless mode unless ive missed something important. Anyone figured it out?

3) The game freezes every time i try to to quit. I have to end the process which gets rid of the game on-screen but i notice my vram is still being used and behold the game is still in memory, chewing 1.5Gb of ram. Ending the Parent/Child does nothing and ive used cmd too. Only way is to restart the machine, which is a big pain when messing with settings.

Any reason why its not exiting properly?

KaiserAlucard

Neo Member
In fact it's the game (and me) that's pretty stupid. The game only let me chose between very high or very low resolutions but I realized that there was a 100% next to 3840x2160, so I put that one and the game was at 1680x1050. I was kinda scared to melt my computer for a second though.

Branson

Everything on high except AF ultra, motion blur off and AO on medium and I usually get 40-50fps at 1080p. Boy that average frame drop in the second area. I feel like, from other postings in here, I should be getting a bit better frames on high but idk.

2500k @ 4.5
580 3gb
8gb ram.

Maybe the 580 really is holding me back on it.

Thrakier

Meh, with my 970, I even get frame drops in the 2nd area with AO set to high instead of Ultra, only 1080p...need to reduce vegetation to high.

Anyone have an issue where during cutscenes the va is much quiter than the backgorund music? Is only during the cutscenes and with this game or I'd think I had a wrong setting systemwide. Otherwise it runs pretty great!

AndyD

aka andydumi
Anyone have an issue where during cutscenes the va is much quiter than the backgorund music? Is only during the cutscenes and with this game or I'd think I had a wrong setting systemwide. Otherwise it runs pretty great!

I have this too. I think during cutscenes the sound is "pre-mixed" as compared to during gameplay where our individual settings matter.

Kezen

Banned
Bought the game yesterday.
Performance is excellent, here are my settings :
nkM8FQS.jpg

Benchmark results :
kOZAMVa.jpg

Looks really good on top of that, great job Monolith.

GTX 780
I7 4770K
344.48 WHQL drivers.

zXe

On my MSI GTX 970 + i5 3570k (@ 4.2ghz) I was running everything on highest settings except for textures at 1080p. The first area I was getting for the most part a solid 60fps unless there was a lot of enemies and shadows from fire/torches it would drop a little into the mid 50s. Now since arriving in the second big grassy area I've had to lower a few settings because the fps was taking larger hits more frequently into the lower 50's. So I now have shadows down to High and I've put Ambient Occlusion to down to High as well. The fps is pretty solid now at 60fps (I should note I've been using v-sync and borderless).

I' interested to know however what Order Independent Transparency does? I'm thinking if the next lot of drivers from Nvidia don't really boost much of the performance for this game, I may consider overclocking it with afterburner.

I'm playing the game on a 970 and a 4790k. I was playing it on ultra (with high textures) at 1080p with v-sync on at 60.

Once I hit the second zone however, my performance took a big hit. I had to turn off v-sync because it was dropping down to 30, but that introduced a decent amount of screen tearing.

What are the best settings to turn down to improve performance in the second area? I turned the foliage draw distance from Ultra to high, and that helped in some places but I still get drops in that zone.

What sli bits are best to use?

Or is it AFR2 that I should be using?

I think it doesn't make much of a difference. I am still using Fear 3 bits.

Game is at 60 99% of the time, some tiny drops when there is an absurd amount of Uruks during a fight. I have yet to reach the second zone, but I hope it will hold up with SLI (Maybe second area is CPU wise not well optimized, who knows...)

Game is so pretty and fun.

Bought the game yesterday.
Performance is excellent, here are my settings :
nkM8FQS.jpg

Benchmark results :
kOZAMVa.jpg

Looks really good on top of that, great job Monolith.

GTX 780
I7 4770K
344.48 WHQL drivers.

I have the same specs as you do but I turned off motion blur and depth of field, and set Ambient Occlusion to high. I using SweetFX (SMAA and other post-processing shaders). The game runs at smooth 70+FPS, except when there are a lot of enemies on screen and in very specific places.

Kezen

Banned
I have the same specs as you do but I turned off motion blur and depth of field, and set Ambient Occlusion to high. I using SweetFX (SMAA and other post-processing shaders). The game runs at smooth 70+FPS, except when there are a lot of enemies on screen and in very specific places.
The second area is particularly taxing, I had to tone down AO to maintain 60fps. What about you ?
Motion blur (both camera and object) works well by the way, apparently it was broken at launch.

I underestimated the graphics of this game when I first took interest in it, it looks much better than I anticipated.

Has a proper sli profile been released for this yet? I installed this today and although I'm running dual 970s, framerates all over the place. For now, I'm using the FEAR 3 profile and I'm running at 4k.

No surprise the second area is a bit more taxing on the GPU. Looks completely ridiculous, so much vegetation. I am truly impressed with this game. Runs so smooth on 970 SLI.

Has a proper sli profile been released for this yet? I installed this today and although I'm running dual 970s, framerates all over the place. For now, I'm using the FEAR 3 profile and I'm running at 4k.

Forget 4k, you must be running out of memory.

Kezen

Banned
Did they ever fix object motion blur? Kind of ridiculous if they haven't already.

Working for me, both camera and object. Still no post-process AA on PC, if you want to smooth out jaggies you can try some SMAA injectors or use SSAA if your machine is up for the task.

What settings are you guys using to maintain 60 fps in the second area? I have an R9 290 btw.
I tone down AO, leave everything else at maximum settings except textures (only 3GB on my 780).
You can try lowering the vegetation range or mesh quality to relieve your CPU a bit.

burgerdog

Working for me, both camera and object. Still no post-process AA on PC, if you want to smooth out jaggies you can try some SMAA injectors or use SSAA if your machine is up for the task.

I'll have to check after work. The only blur that worked was camera when the game first released. Nvidia or amd card?

Levyne

Banned
The object blur was fixed, yeah. Only AA is still supersampling, I just used some sweetfx smaa on top of native res.

In the second area I turned down AO and vegetation one tick.

Top Bottom