• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor PC Performance Thread

SoundLad

The overclock on GPUs bringing issues is something that the developer needs to address. You don't seem to be the only one with that issue.
No it isn't. If overclocks are causing crashes or glitches it is because those overclocks are not stable. This is a mistake a lot of overclockers make: an overclock might seem stable everywhere else, but if it's not stable on absolutely everything then it's not stable, period.

Hmm...I'm not too sure what to make of this then..return the card? To clarify, I haven't overclocked the card past the factory OC. I will experiment with taking 105Mhz off the clock (most I can downclock) this evening and report whether the issue persists.

Hmm...I'm not too sure what to make of this then..return the card? To clarify, I haven't overclocked the card past the factory OC. I will experiment with taking 105Mhz off the clock (most I can downclock) this evening and report whether the issue persists.

You could try a stress test on your GPU. I'd assume it should also crash then if it is really clocked too far. I think it is weird overclocked cards seem to have much more trouble with this game.

SoundLad

You could try a stress test on your GPU. I'd assume it should also crash then if it is really clocked too far. I think it is weird overclocked cards seem to have much more trouble with this game.

With this card I've run heaven benchmark 5 times in a row without crashing or artifacts, might try it out again tonight and leave it for longer.

FUUUUUUU... I want to continue playing this game but I am waiting for an optimized SLI profile and the motion blur patch now. :/

Yes, if your card crashes at stock clocks (Factory OC'd or not) it's an instant RMA. Make sure your crash is GPU caused though.

SoundLad

Yes, if your card crashes at stock clocks (Factory OC'd or not) it's an instant RMA. Make sure your crash is GPU caused though.

The thing is, I'm not sure if it's the graphics card since the crash doesn't seem to be driver related (no nvidia driver has crashed and recovered message in tray) but instead it just either freezes the screen or just boots me to the desktop and says Shadow of Mordor has stopped working

Banned
I wonder how my rig will handle it. I Might download the ultra texture pack and see how it runs anyway :p

3B GTX 780 stock
12GB RAM
i7-3770k 4.2GHz

I'll play at 1080p maxed out everything.

Kuro

How do you delete DLC from steam, don't see a reason to keep the Ultra texture pack when it looks barely different from High and I have a 4gb card

Akim

Banned
Is anyone having/had the problem where you start the game and it just goes to black screen, but you can still hear the sound? I've tried every fix on google and I can't get it to work :(

L.O.R.D

3ABC7EB7276CE7D81222511D405057BFE2585FFF

30484C9E14A85E852EC823372436F264A13794DC

laptop : msi GE60
i7 3730 mq
GTX 660m - 2GB Ram DDR5
8 GB Ram

pretty good for me
and they said my laptop couldn't run this game
take that CAPCOM vancouver , fix your shitty DR3 port

Durante

The overclock on GPUs bringing issues is something that the developer needs to address. You don't seem to be the only one with that issue.
Absolutely not.

Developers should do a lot of things. But making sure their software runs stably on hardware that isn't stable isn't one of them. (It's also impossible)

The thing is, I'm not sure if it's the graphics card since the crash doesn't seem to be driver related (no nvidia driver has crashed and recovered message in tray) but instead it just either freezes the screen or just boots me to the desktop and says Shadow of Mordor has stopped working

Could you be running out of memory? I've seen the game grow to use up to 4-5 gigabytes of system RAM with textures on high as VRAM spills over into main memory. You might especially want to check for it if you've disabled the page file or have it set at small fixed size. Likewise if you have a large browser session running concurrently.

I have added a mild overclock to my 670 (+100 GPU clock and +100 mem clock) and I haven't had any problems so far with the game. I will up it a bit more and see what happens but performance is really stable for me at 60fps with high on every setting.

burgerdog

FUUUUUUU... I want to continue playing this game but I am waiting for an optimized SLI profile and the motion blur patch now. :/

I'm probably going to finish the game tonight. Sucks that I missed out on one of my favorite graphic effects :( Object motion blur is awesome.

vermadas

I have a OC'd 770 and had problems with DX11 games crashing with nVidia related driver dll's showing up as the offending party in the Windows Event Logs. Using MSI Afterburner I increased my GPU voltage a few ticks and I ceased having problems. I haven't played Mordor yet and don't know if that's a silver bullet solution but it's worth trying if you haven't already.

Luftwaffle

Neo Member
Anyone else getting some random stutters when moving the camera around etc.? Running with everything set to high/turned on on the following specs:

i5 - 4670K
Gtx 760
8 gb ram

Game is installed on a SSD if that matters.

Kneecap

I have been thinking about the various subjects that a Arkham/Assassins Creed/Shadows of Mordor game could do. Two characters came to mind: John Carter and Elric of Melinibone.

John Carter, the hero of most of Edgar Rice Burroughs 11 Barsoom novels is a perfect match for the Shadow of Mordor gameplay model. The weapons are mainly melee, swords and daggers, with a smattering of steampunk projectile/ray guns. Carter has all the physical enhancements that, say, a Saints Row IV superhero has such as (low powered) superspeed, jumps high, superstrength all thanks to his earthly muscles in a martian gravity field. Carter could progress through a phase of powerful, yet uncontrolled talents to more controlled athletic and martial skills through (a Skyrim-like) progression system or by picking talents from a skill tree as XP accrues. The Nemesis system could be used as Carter battles the Tharks (the six-limbed Green Men) and/or various factions among the Red Men.

Elric is Michael Moorcock's creation and is the last of a line of sorcerer rulers. Sword play, wizardry, and herbalism figure into the stories, but the highlight of the stories, for me, is Stormbringer. Elric, a physical weakling needing drugs or wizardry to fight, wields Stormbringer, a demon in sword form. Stormbringer drinks the souls of those it kills giving some of that soul-strength to Elric. There are many ways in which the skill tree(s), or XP progression could work. There are many factions in the Elric novels and, as he is a bit of a wanderer, there are plenty of possibilities for the Nemesis system here.

This gameplay model has plenty of possibilities. I think even a Hulk game could work.

mr stroke

This game is near impossible to run at 4k maxed on current hardware(which is surprising considering it doesn't look THAT great)

I74770k and SLI 980's(with the sli hack) and I can't get it to run at anything more than 20fps during combat :

1440p game runs ace, anything higher and will have to wait till gtx 1080's

This game is near impossible to run at 4k maxed on current hardware(which is surprising considering it doesn't look THAT great)

I74770k and SLI 980's(with the sli hack) and I can't get it to run at anything more than 20fps during combat :

1440p game runs ace, anything higher and will have to wait till gtx 1080's

SLI/Crossfire won't work properly until both companies release profiles. Its unfortunate but thats what it is.

Absolutely not.

Developers should do a lot of things. But making sure their software runs stably on hardware that isn't stable isn't one of them. (It's also impossible)

I have added a mild overclock to my 670 (+100 GPU clock and +100 mem clock) and I haven't had any problems so far with the game. I will up it a bit more and see what happens but performance is really stable for me at 60fps with high on every setting.

Fair enough, with the amount of responses I saw about the issue and not knowing whether there were OCed cards that didn't have the issue I assumed it was a game-specific problem.

Sheytan

The performance really took a dive on the second area, on the first map i got between 70-100 fps, but on the second area the fps dips below 60 fps.

Everything is maxed except for the textures at 1080p

| Corsair 1200AX | ASUS Maximus VI Forumula | 4770K @ 4.5 Ghz | Asus H100 |
| 16GB DDR3 2400 MHz | Asus DC2 GTX 780 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Enthoo Primo |

ymmv

Banned
I got a weird problem. When I turn on Vsync on, the framerate is locked to 50FPS instead of 60FPS according to MSI Afterburrner. I'm playing the game on a TV with an HDMI cable. The Nvidia settings say the display is set to 60Hz.

What's going on?

Gold Member
I got a weird problem. When I turn on Vsync on, the framerate is locked to 50FPS instead of 60FPS according to MSI Afterburrner. I'm playing the game on a TV with an HDMI cable. The Nvidia settings say the display is set to 60Hz.

What's going on?
The VSync in bust. Try either playing in border less window mode or atl tabbing back to the desktop briefly to fix it.

Edit: ignore that I just woke up lol, I thought you said locked at 30fps. I don't know what your issue is.

Buburibon

What's going on?

The VSync in bust. Try either playing in border less window mode or atl tabbing back to the desktop briefly to fix it.

Edit: ignore that I just woke up lol, I thought you said locked at 30fps. I don't know what your issue is.

What 10101 said; borderless window should fix it. I've had the same happen with Metal Gear Rising, where fullscreen + vsync + HDMI to A/V receiver would result in a 50fps cap. Forcing borderless window through a third party tool fixed it. Shadow of Mordor has the aforesaid feature built-in for your convenience. It should be a fairly easy fix.

ymmv

Banned
What 10101 said; borderless window should fix it. I've had the same happen with Metal Gear Rising, where fullscreen + vsync + HDMI to A/V receiver would result in a 50fps cap. Forcing borderless window through a third party tool fixed it. Shadow of Mordor has the aforesaid feature built-in for your convenience. It should be a fairly easy fix.

Yep, borderless window did indeed fix it. For some reason the cut scenes are still playing at 50fps, but the game itself is now locked at 60fps.

SoundLad

Could you be running out of memory? I've seen the game grow to use up to 4-5 gigabytes of system RAM with textures on high as VRAM spills over into main memory. You might especially want to check for it if you've disabled the page file or have it set at small fixed size. Likewise if you have a large browser session running concurrently.

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the suggestion, I will check it out. Bit of a novice question but how would I monitor my "page file"? On a semi-related note, I just yesterday flashed my GPU BIOS (here) to a new version released last month. From my testing with games that previously used to crash (Battlefield 4, PvZ: Garden Warfare) , those games don't appear to be crashing anymore! Will need to test Shadow of Mordor later today!

Perks

Neo Member
Hey guys, I'm able to run the game at 1680x1050, everything on ultra, no HD-texture pack.
I get around 50-60 fps relatively stable.
However, the game stutters A LOT. Sometimes the game even freezes and stays at 5-9 fps for like 10 seconds. After that it resumes to 60fps until the next freeze/stutter a couple minutes after.

It gets worse the longer I play. It is really not very enjoyable.
Also, when there is lightning, the textures seem very weird, like glitchy, everything flashes up in various colors.

My System:
cpu: I5-4670K (non-OC)
gpu: Nvidia GTX 770 4gb
ram: 8gb corsair

The card is fast enough and has enough vram to not run into swapping slowdowns. vram isn't even maxed for most of the time, but stays at around 2gb.

I run the game in borderless fullscreen (for tripple buffering) and i tried switching v-sync on/off to see if that does anything. But no luck.
Anyone has any suggestions?

On a side note: I find it very curious that the game is so power hungry. It does not look that great. Also a bummer that there is no AA, and downsampling effectively halves my framerate, even at 150%.

d00d3n

Have there been any further announcements about official sli support? (other than the dev posting on Steam forums who thought that they would be done sometime last week) I am holding my thumbs that something will be released today (still lots of office hours left in the US), but I don't know how likely that is at this point. Maybe they discovered additional bugs last minute with the sli solution they had worked on?

Just saw this on steam:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/241930/announcements/detail/207488873133727113

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, build v1426.21
Stability:
Fixed a source of the game failing to launch due to a corrupt VCRedist installation.
Fixed the issue with error message box being destroyed upon shutdown, allowing more detailed information to some players when game crashes during launch.
Fix for most common crash when partner of a sync-action is removed.
Graphics:
SLI profile for Shadow of Mordor is on the way. More information as it’s available.
Investigating:
We are looking in to the source of our save file loss issue. If this is happening to you, please contact Customer Support at http://support.wbgames.com/.

burgerdog

Thanks. I see no mention of a fix for the motion blur, or lack thereof when both camera & object are selected, and it makes me wonder whether they're at all aware of it.

Someone mentioned that you could have one or the other turned on only. Like I said, I only see the option to have camera on by itself, object motion blur gets tied with camera for sone reason.

SpyGuy239

so GAF what's the consensus on the Ultra HD textures; Yay or Nay?

I just got the game. Am running an old i7 860 but with a GTX 780 with 3Gb VRAM.

I don't need 60fps, 30fps is fine for me

Thanks!

burgerdog

so GAF what's the consensus on the Ultra HD textures; Yay or Nay?

I just got the game. Am running an old i7 860 but with a GTX 780 with 3Gb VRAM.

I don't need 60fps, 30fps is fine for me

Thanks!

I couldn't even tell the difference when I switched to ultra on my 970.

So I'm getting horrible perfomance randomly, with the following system:

I7 5820K@4.3GHZ
16GB DDR4@2133MHZ
G1 970 SLI
840 EVO SSD
Windows 8.1 Pro
Driver: 334.16

I set Nvidia setting in Shadow of Mordor to Force Alternate frame rendering to 2.

I get SLI then and benchmark with FPS uncapped hits the engine limit of 100FPS average, Max is some ludricous number and Min always low because of some initial start.

So I start the actual game, the beginning tutorial everything at ultra settings besides ultra textures with 1080P resolution,getting constant 90-100FPS,then the rainy part where the Uruks show up and my fps hits below 55FPS.

Then on the open world map, I get constant 90-100FPS and randomly it will drop to 45-50FPS and fluctuates and then after a while randomly goes back to normal.

I think its the SLI as my GPU 2 is not utilized to its full potential, I did set "Prefer maximumm perfomance" in the Nvidia control panell.

Is forcing alternate frame rendering to 2 the best SLI implemntation until it is officialy updated? or is there a better method?

Thanks.

Note: Other games run perfectly like BF4, all possible settings maxed on 1080P I'm hitting 150+FPS, heck even downsawmpling from 2650 x 1440 and I get constant 80+FPS, yet this game is weird.(I'm hoping its the SLI)

Zeth

Oh fuck, my save is gone. Anywhere I can locate it? Nothing in Documents except cfg files it looks like. Might be an issue with cloud sync?

Only thing I've done is delete the intro videos. How easy is it to start a new game and delete the current? I guess it's possible I did that absent mindedly?

edit: found some save files online, this should do. For anyone else looking for a save to pick up from: save files in 5-10% increments from 14 to 89.

Thrakier

Single 970 here, i5 2500k at 4.1ghz.

Performance is pretty bad. I can't downsample at 150% because I get constant drops to 30FPS then because of the build in vsync solution (which adds ton of lag). On the other hand, running 1080p on ultra, I STILL get framerate drops in bigger fights etc...is there something like optimized settings for stable 60FPS already?

Oh, Aliasing is pretty bad...

Especially in wraith mode my frames drop like crazy.

Top Bottom