• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor PC Performance Thread

Levyne

Banned
Since people are missing it, here's my previous post:

Hey, I got SweetFX to work using this! But scrollock doesn't seem to toggle on/off any more with this version of sweet fx (the modified one with x64 compat).

I know it works because I set vibrance to -1.00, lol

blakdeth

It's GeForce Experience and not the driver itself. Pretty sure you can roll it back.

I uninstalled GeForce Experience, but the problem persists. I then tried completely removing GeForce Experience and the 344.11 drivers using Driver Fusion, then I installed the previous version of the drivers, but I can't get SweetFX to load properly. Unless someone has additional advice they would like to share, I will probably just wait for a compatible driver in a future update.

Thanks!

Smash88

Banned
God damn the
second area
shits on my frames. Anywhere from 5-10fps. Ridiculous.

I hope some drivers or the developers optimize it.

Nephrahim

I thought the ultra textures were a bit sharper they said. I wouldn't know though. High textures aren't bad for me at all.

What's the point of the 3.7gb texture download then? Setting it on Ultra in game before that doesn't do anything, and you just get High.

I thought I heard somewhere that if you play on resolutions higher then 1080 (Which is rare even on PCs, but common enough) they look better.

God damn the
second area
shits on my frames. Anywhere from 5-10fps. Ridiculous.

I hope some drivers or the developers optimize it.

You drop down to 5-10fps or you lose 5-10fps? Cause it's the latter for me, and I kind of expect that kind of drop with that much vegetation. If the former... wow not sure what to tell you.

I love both effects in this game.

Motion blur goes off in every game I play because it leads to me having motion sickness... Motion blur has never and will never make sense in video games, and the only half way logical reason to use it is on sub-30fps games where you're trying to cover up said horrible frame rate.

Depth of field can give me motion sick too if used incorrectly... If a game is constantly focusing in and out of because of it, it's seriously painful for me to look at (and if I do so long enough I end up puking), but this game does it well using it purely on far away objects so that hasn't triggered with me at least.

Hey, I got SweetFX to work using this! But scrollock doesn't seem to toggle on/off any more with this version of sweet fx (the modified one with x64 compat).

I know it works because I set vibrance to -1.00, lol

If you scroll to the bottom of the SweetFX_settings file there is a key settings entry. You can change the key bindings to what you want. They are numerically referenced but a website link in the same file provides a list of keys/numbers.

Smash88

Banned
You drop down to 5-10fps or you lose 5-10fps? Cause it's the latter for me, and I kind of expect that kind of drop with that much vegetation. If the former... wow not sure what to tell you.

Sorry should have specified, I lose roughly 5 to 10 frames. Although it is more like 5 frames than anything.

I have a GTX Titan, vegetation or not, that just makes me believe this game isn't that well optimized, similar to GTA IV. Hoping drivers and updates can possibly raise the fps a bit.

Here's how to get SMAA working in this game.

1. Download the SweetFX 1.5.1 with x64 support from this page: http://sfx.thelazy.net/downloads/

2. Extract all files into the game's x64 directory which is where the executable is located. (C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\ShadowOfMordor\x64 - replace my Steam path with yours)

3. Enable SMAA and anything else you want in the SweetFX_settings.txt file

4. (The part no one explained) Move the DLL files out of the X64_dll's folder that got copied in with the rest of SweetFX, and put them into the game's x64 directory where the executable is, overwriting the 32-bit DLLs.

5. No more jaggiessss!!

Add to OP?

Doesn't work for me. The game won't even boot.

Levyne

Banned
If you scroll to the bottom of the SweetFX_settings file there is a key settings entry. You can change the key bindings to what you want. They are numerically referenced but a website link in the same file provides a list of keys/numbers.

Ah, okay I will have to check! It must not default to the same key that I'm used to.

Kiyoshi

Sorry should have specified, I lose roughly 5 to 10 frames. Although it is more like 5 frames than anything.

I have a GTX Titan, vegetation or not, that just makes me believe this game isn't that well optimized, similar to GTA IV. Hoping drivers and updates can possibly raise the fps a bit.

If a scene is more complex to draw, surely it doesn't matter how well optimised it is you're going to see a drop in fps compared to one that is less complex? Titan or not, if the second area is more demanding everyone will see a drop off.

Kezen

Banned

Having played it (but on a superior system to mine) the game isn't nearly as broken as GTA 4 was. No comparisons possible.

DF face off is up: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-shadow-of-mordor-face-off

Just about to read with great interest...

"You can try pushing your luck by pushing texture detail higher - for example, we tried running high quality textures on a 2GB GTX 760 working in combination with the 30fps lock option. This may give your hardware time to swap in the textures in and out of GDDR5 without too much stutter, but results could vary - as we found when running ultra textures on the 3GB GTX 780 Ti."

I have a 2GB 670 and I am running high textures without any stuttering @ 60fps for the majority of the time.

Edit: The comments thread, as always, is an 'entertaining' read.

Smash88

Banned
Having played it (but on a superior system to mine) the game isn't nearly as broken as GTA 4 was. No comparisons possible.

Alright, maybe not GTA 4 levels of broken, but I still feel it could've been done better. There are other open world games that don't suffer from this type of frame rate and some of those have way better graphics (especially if you would tack on mods).

If a scene is more complex to draw, surely it doesn't matter how well optimised it is you're going to see a drop in fps compared to one that is less complex? Titan or not, if the second area is more demanding everyone will see a drop off.

Sure, but I've seen other games with way more complex scenes not causing me this much of a frame drop or affecting my frames overall - to this degree that is.

Bricky

I know some people hate it, but I'd say enabling Nvidia's FXAA for this game is a pretty legit AA option. I've been using it for hours now and haven't had a noticeably more blurry image at all yet (almost) no jaggies at the cost of zero performance. FXAA can look really shitty and it's not my preferred option either, but please give it a try in this game if you don't feel like messing with SweetFX and such.

So far for those of us that have the following:

Core i5 2500k OC'd to 4.5GHZ
A GTX580 1592mb Geforce graphics card
4gb DDR3
Windows 7 64-bit

That's my system and I play at 1080P, and I'm getting around 35-50 fps variable but surprisingly smooth gameplay even in the second area. The thing is you have to play with medium textures, but I think if you have 8GB+ system ram you will probably be fine on high settings though I cannot confirm this.

My settings:
I66Wxv3.jpg

kencey

I got sweetfx to work on Win8.1.
Downloaded this one:
SweetFX Suite With eFX for 64bit Games and Windows 8.1 64bit

Just google it, first link

Motion blur goes off in every game I play because it leads to me having motion sickness... Motion blur has never and will never make sense in video games, and the only half way logical reason to use it is on sub-30fps games where you're trying to cover up said horrible frame rate.

Depth of field can give me motion sick too if used incorrectly... If a game is constantly focusing in and out of because of it, it's seriously painful for me to look at (and if I do so long enough I end up puking), but this game does it well using it purely on far away objects so that hasn't triggered with me at least.

Don't really care if MB makes sense or not, I think it works well in games. I've been in love with the effect since the original Crysis. I can understand people disliking it though. That being said, according to DF it doesn't even seem to work. I thought the implementation was very subtle like in Metro, but guess not...

b0uncyfr0

Anyone confirm if messing with the resolution in the settings.cfg file actually work? The game doesn't give me 1440p as an option. Its either 2880x1620(150%) or 4K(200%) and that's too taxing on a 770.

I set 2560x1440 resolution in the file and made it read-only, started playing and the resolution shows as 2880x1620. Jaggies are less profound so i know its not 1080p but im not sure, it could just be a placebo effect.

Zafir

Anyone confirm if messing with the resolution in the settings.cfg file actually work? The game doesn't give me 1440p as an option. Its either 2880x1620(150%) or 4K(200%) and that's too taxing on a 770.

I set 2560x1440 resolution in the file and made it read-only, started playing and the resolution shows as 2880x1620. Jaggies are less profound so i know its not 1080p but im not sure, it could just be a placebo effect.

You need to get rid of any DSR or higher resolutions than your monitor supports(for downsampling) in the Nvidia control panel. It seems to assume that those are your native resolutions if you don't, meaning you can't use your native because it isn't listed.

~Kinggi~

Banned
DF face off is up: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-shadow-of-mordor-face-off

Just about to read with great interest...

"You can try pushing your luck by pushing texture detail higher - for example, we tried running high quality textures on a 2GB GTX 760 working in combination with the 30fps lock option. This may give your hardware time to swap in the textures in and out of GDDR5 without too much stutter, but results could vary - as we found when running ultra textures on the 3GB GTX 780 Ti."

I have a 2GB 670 and I am running high textures without any stuttering @ 60fps for the majority of the time.

Edit: The comments thread, as always, is an 'entertaining' read.

You must have other options on high or medium to maintain the 60 with that card. I think DF are going along ultra settings for the 30 cap.

b0uncyfr0

You need to get rid of any DSR or higher resolutions than your monitor supports(for downsampling) in the Nvidia control panel. It seems to assume that those are your native resolutions if you don't, meaning you can't use your native because it isn't listed.

I did. I still only get 2880x1620 (150) and 3840x2160 (200).

PahkThahCah

Neo Member
I made an album including all graphical presets that come with Shadow of Mordor. Couldn't find anyone doing a comparison on all settings rather than just doing High vs Ultra textures.

I don't want to spam the board with over 20 screenshots, so heres the entire album I compiled.

Heres the link: http://imgur.com/a/9gadB#0

jett

D-Member
Well, I can't get a locked 60 on a 280X+4670K, even if I set AF and Shadows to just "high." This is highly disappointing. It also has the incomprehensibly stupid v-sync that makes the framerate drop down to 30fps if you even drop a single frame from 60.

Gbraga

Well, I can't get a locked 60 on a 280X+4670K, even if I set AF and Shadows to just "high." This is highly disappointing. It also has the incomprehensibly stupid v-sync that makes the framerate drop down to 30fps if you even drop a single frame from 60.

Use Borderless Window mode instead of Fullscreen and the vsync will be triple buffered.

Branson

I know some people hate it, but I'd say enabling Nvidia's FXAA for this game is a pretty legit AA option. I've been using it for hours now and haven't had a noticeably more blurry image at all yet (almost) no jaggies at the cost of zero performance. FXAA can look really shitty and it's not my preferred option either, but please give it a try in this game if you don't feel like messing with SweetFX and such.

This is what I plan to do. It can look ok, but if it's the only option then it will do just fine.

Buburibon

Doesn't work for me. The game won't even boot.

Unfortunately, it doesn't even boot for me either. That's on Windows 8.1 64-bit, GTX 980, 344.16 drivers. Anyway, there's always downsampling, but then sacrifices would certainly have to be made in order to maintain 60fps.

JohnGrimm

Don't really care if MB makes sense or not, I think it works well in games. I've been in love with the effect since the original Crysis. I can understand people disliking it though. That being said, according to DF it doesn't even seem to work. I thought the implementation was very subtle like in Metro, but guess not...
Camera Only works fine. Can't wait for Monolith to patch it, because I do love me some Object blur.

Teremap

Banned
Uhhh, no. Per-object motion blur can also be called "temporal anti-aliasing", and it is useful all the way up to and even beyond 60 FPS for helping convey motion information that would otherwise have been lost between frames. Of course, it is most useful the lower your framerate gets, that goes without saying, just like how 8x SGSSAA is more useful when you're playing at 720p than it is when you're already running at four times your native resolution.

Aeana

For some reason, on the graphics options screen, it reports my video card as having 2GB of VRAM, when I have 4GB. dxdiag even reports 4038MB. But the game says 2048MB. I hope that doesn't mean that it will only be using 2GB?

Kezen

Banned
For some reason, on the graphics options screen, it reports my video card as having 2GB of VRAM, when I have 4GB. dxdiag even reports 4038MB. But the game says 2048MB. I hope that doesn't mean that it will only be using 2GB?

Dxdiag may report shared memory, the game reports dedicated VRAM.
What is your GPU ?

Unfortunately, it doesn't even boot for me either. That's on Windows 8.1 64-bit, GTX 980, 344.16 drivers. Anyway, there's always downsampling, but then sacrifices would certainly have to be made in order to maintain 60fps.

I've always had problems trying to use smaa on Windows 8.1. It's really annoying.

Having said that, whilst it would be nice to use it, once I started playing I realised I don't really notice too much aliasing in this game at 2560x1440.

Game runs very well for me. 770 2GB, i7 4770k and 16GB RAM, runs at 1080P/60FPS with all settings at high except texture filtering (ultra) and quality (medium). Only caveat is that some textures on medium are pretty damn fugly, but the lack of stuttering and more stable framerate is a fine tradeoff. Surprised at the lack of serious aliasing too. Even without AA settings, I didn't really notice the jaggies that much compared with something like State of Decay.

Otheradam

So is GTX 570 ok for this game?

I have that and a Athlon II x4 640 @3.00GHz

The system requirements make me nervous. Debating between PC and PS4.

I'm on a 570 and 2500k and getting anywhere from 35-60 fps at 1080p depending on area and stuff on screen with mostly high settings. It's very playable.

The game has some serious slowdowns in some places with my 2500k+280X. Maybe it's the borderless mode I ran on, but without it there's too much tearing, and vsync tends to jump from 60 to 30 all the time. The game sometimes chugs to a halt when turning so it might also be hitting the vram limit even on high. Hopefully they'll get CF working soon so I can get a solid 60 vsynced going.

Top Bottom