• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor PC Performance Thread

impact

Banned
Asus K53TA. Quad Core 1.4 GHz CPU, 4GB Ram, Radeon HD 6720G if my memory serves me correctly.

No offence but it's your fault for buying the game thinking it could run on that. I want to say the 4GB RAM is really fucking you but your CPU and GPU are also pretty bad.

At least it'll motivate you to get a nice gaming desktop. As someone who recently switched from a "gaming laptop" to a actual gaming PC I'd never buy another laptop again.

justjim89

No offence but it's your fault for buying the game thinking it could run on that. I want to say the 4GB RAM is really fucking you but your CPU and GPU are also pretty bad.

At least it'll motivate you to get a nice gaming desktop. As someone who recently switched from a "gaming laptop" to a actual gaming PC I'd never buy another laptop again.

Yeah I certainly assumed the risk when I bought it, I knew it would be a long shot. Just disappointed. But also motivated because great games are gonna keep coming out and requirements are going to be higher and higher. So I'm motivated even more to get a proper PC.

The problem is my unemployment and lack of a proper space for a gaming rig, neither of which are gonna change anytime soon. I find myself looking forward to getting my own place and a job not for the inherent benefits of not living with parents, but just so I can be in a position in life to make a big purchase like a PC. But hey y'all don't need my life story.

Grief.exe

Yeah I certainly assumed the risk when I bought it, I knew it would be a long shot. Just disappointed. But also motivated because great games are gonna keep coming out and requirements are going to be higher and higher. So I'm motivated even more to get a proper PC.

The problem is my unemployment and lack of a proper space for a gaming rig, neither of which are gonna change anytime soon. I find myself looking forward to getting my own place and a job not for the inherent benefits of not living with parents, but just so I can be in a position in life to make a big purchase like a PC. But hey y'all don't need my life story.

I'd probably send you a 560ti right now if you had a desktop to put it in.

thematic

Thank you based durante!

How to skip the annoying intro videos:

1. Text screens and middleware:

goto:
Steam\SteamApps\common\ShadowOfMordor\game\interface\videos\legal

there, rename:
legaltext.vib -> legaltext_.vib
legaltext_fr.vib -> legaltext_fr_.vib
middleware.vib -> middleware_.vib

2. Nvidia and Shadow of Mordor title plate

goto:
Steam\SteamApps\common\ShadowOfMordor\game\interface\videos

there, rename:
intro.vib -> intro_.vib (plus your game language)
nvidia_splash.vib -> nvidia_splash_.vib

Boom!
title menue in 3 seconds

Thank You for this
i hate waiting for those intros

The article from gamegpu.ru:

http://gamegpu.ru/rpg/rollevye/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-test-gpu.html

Lots of stuff, reading it now.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-RPG-Middle-earth_Shadow_of_Mordor-test-ShadowOfMordor_1920.jpg

I guess they will update with more tests and with sli working results.

i'm really happy with my cheap Zotac GTX 750 Ti (overclocked to ~1400MHz core)
playing with Ultra setting with Medium texture, disabled Motion Blur and Medium Shadows, i got 50-60+ fps in opening fight @ 1080p

now i'm really wondering if i should upgrade to GTX 970 or not :p

Grief.exe

Got Mordor running pretty damn smooth. 1080p/60 FPS with no drops, only turned down textures and mesh a notch below ultra.

This is a solid port, but I think it needs a few optimization passes before we call it truly great. Hopefully it improves after Nvidia/AMD get their respective driver updates, but the VRAM requirements are absurd and unwarranted.

Anyone else getting strange graphical glitches, like brief flashing lines, flickering mini map or button prompts in menus that look like they're flipping between controller and keyboard icons?

Normally I'd think my cards were overheating, but they're both 55-65* on average when this happens. I am using the FEAR 3 sli bits and a small over clock, so could be due to either. Will reset everything and try again, but wanted to see if I was alone on this one.

Anyone else getting strange graphical glitches, like brief flashing lines, flickering mini map or button prompts in menus that look like they're flipping between controller and keyboard icons?

Normally I'd think my cards were overheating, but they're both 55-65* on average when this happens. I am using the FEAR 3 sli bits and a small over clock, so could be due to either. Will reset everything and try again, but wanted to see if I was alone on this one.

I've gotten that same flickering using both the FEAR 3 bits and the Batman Arkham Origins bits.

We'll have to wait for proper SLI support to fix it or turn off SLI entirely.

Aw fk it...just going to run with everything on High and put Textures to Medium.
Can get solid 60fps 95% of the time.

1080p/Borderless/No limit on FPS/V-Sync on

i5 3.30/GTX680/8GB RAM here.

Now going to stop caring about the settings and play the chit out of this game.

Mindman

Here's how to get SMAA working in this game.

1. Download the SweetFX 1.5.1 with x64 support from this page: http://sfx.thelazy.net/downloads/

2. Extract all files into the game's x64 directory which is where the executable is located. (C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\ShadowOfMordor\x64 - replace my Steam path with yours)

3. Enable SMAA and anything else you want in the SweetFX_settings.txt file

4. (The part no one explained) Move the DLL files out of the X64_dll's folder that got copied in with the rest of SweetFX, and put them into the game's x64 directory where the executable is, overwriting the 32-bit DLLs.

5. No more jaggiessss!!

Add to OP?

d00d3n

You will have a better experience using single gpu at the moment.

Because of glitches with the graphics? I stopped playing the game after reading the comment from the developer that you linked to (awaiting the sli fix that they are working on), so I don't know how the F.E.A.R 3 sli settings hold up long term (I guess they don't?).

Arken2121

You will have a better experience using single gpu at the moment.

Actually just going to 3D settings and having SLI rendering mode set to Force Alternate frame rendering 2 does the same thing with less time.

Edit: Just to reiterate a few posts above. The hardest FPS hitters do seem to be vegetation/AO. Turned both to medium and everything else Ultra/maxed and am getting 100fps constantly.

irishcow

i5-4670k@4.2ghz
R9 290@1000/1300
8gb DDR3 2400mhz

Everything is maxed (including ultra textures), 1080p resolution, frame limiter at 60. Using FRAPS in game I'm sitting at 59-60. I haven't seen it dip below 59 yet. I've played a little over 3 hours so far.
The downsampling used in the game tanks performance quickly for me. If I set it to even 150% (which is 1440p, I think) I drop from 60 to 45ish.
I would kill for some in game 2x or 4x MSAA.

Loving the game so far.

This is almost exactly my setup and experience as well.

I52500k@4.5ghz
R9 290@1050/1300
8gb ddr3

Buzzman

Banned
i5-2500K 4.4 GHz
GTX 680 2GB
8GB DDR3

I'm getting 36 FPS average with mesh, shadows and texture quality on high and everything else maxed on 2560x1440, I'm actually impressed after the brief panic I had when the settings were first revealed.

Edit: Oh wow, switching AO to high made it jump to 48 FPS average.

s_mirage

Yes, are you overclocking? It could be a weird coincidence but I reduced my overclock slightly and the glitches seem to have gone away. This is the only game where I've had this trouble.

I was getting some minor flickers so I disabled crossfire for now. That seemed to fix it.

I'm trying to figure out whether I would be better off getting the game for my PS4 or my laptop. The hold-up is my processor speed, which doesn't even meet the minimum requirements, but everything else looks to exceed the recommended specs. Can anyone say how much that's likely to affect performance, with or without the ultra texture pack? My laptop's specs are below.

Processor: Intel Core i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40GHz
Installed Memory (Ram): 16.0 GB
System Type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I'm thinking I'm probably better off going with the PS4 version, but I'm not really tech savvy, so I would appreciate any help.

scitek

So, this morning I was experiencing these hitches like usual, and I tried turning down settings one by one to see if it was anything in-game. Nope. I closed Chrome ... all gone.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I would like a spoiler free response to this if possible, since I notice abilities unlock based on story missions.

Does the ability to 'terrorize' or 'assassinate' dominated captains ever come into play in the final game like it did in the initial gameplay trailer? I noticed there was also the ability to 'brand' orcs that I haven't seen in the game yet.

So far the dominating minds thing has really let me down.

Enosh

e8400 3ghz dual core
6870 1gig
4gb of ram

which is about bottom of the barrel as far as this thread goes, really need a new pc -.-

fucking actually works quite well, couldn't believe it ^^ just did the benchmark and got about 78 fps average, that's with pretty much everything on low, could actually crank up some stuff on medium I think

looks shit compared to the screen posted on gaf, but I'm not playing it or the graphics ^^

Yes, are you overclocking? It could be a weird coincidence but I reduced my overclock slightly and the glitches seem to have gone away. This is the only game where I've had this trouble.

I was getting some minor flickers so I disabled crossfire for now. That seemed to fix it.

I think it was the Fear 3 compatibility bit causing the problem for me. Once I wiped it out and went with Afr2 for sli rendering mode (and changed # of GPUs) the problem went away. Hopefully the devs and/or our respective hardware manufacturers get a more stable solution in place soon.

Gumbie

1. Download the SweetFX 1.5.1 with x64 support from this page: http://sfx.thelazy.net/downloads/

2. Extract all files into the game's x64 directory which is where the executable is located. (C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\ShadowOfMordor\x64 - replace my Steam path with yours)

4. (The part no one explained) Move the DLL files out of the X64_dll's folder that got copied in with the rest of SweetFX, and put them into the game's x64 directory where the executable is, overwriting the 32-bit DLLs.

5. No more jaggiessss!!

Add to OP?

Thanks!

JohnGrimm

i5-2500K 4.4 GHz
GTX 680 2GB
8GB DDR3

I'm getting 36 FPS average with mesh, shadows and texture quality on high and everything else maxed on 2560x1440, I'm actually impressed after the brief panic I had when the settings were first revealed.

Edit: Oh wow, switching AO to high made it jump to 48 FPS average.
Ultra SSAO is bugged it seems, and Tessellation doesn't do anything either.

Chris R

So are the Vendetta names generated from other PSN characters? If so I'm wondering if I should just play offline. I'd rather not avenge ChiefLittlePubes Sony

Salty Hippo

i5 4590 3.30, 8GB RAM and GTX 970 here. Running like a charm, virtually no drops below 60 with everything on ultra except textures (didn't bother to download the pack). No graphical glitches or combat issues.

Fantastic game btw.

b0bbyJ03

The game was running 100% perfect on my 970 with everything on ultra, except textures, until I got to the second area. Frame rate still seems high in the second map but I'm getting a ton of screen tearing which is something that didn't happen at all on the first map. Anyone else seeing this? I'm thinking about turning down AO to see if maybe I can get it back to perfection

Have Vsync on and I am always at 60 except for sudden drops at times when turning the camera on close ups etc. All settings maxed except on high textures but honestly even on ultra the frame rates were pretty much the same. Beautiful game. Will hold me over until the new Batman game.

gtx 780 SC
I5 4670K
16GB memory

Perhaps a driver update will smooth out the hiccups here and there.

Braag

It's such a shame that the game has no MSAA or SMAA AA method :/
SSAA/downsampling is fairly effective but it's also incredibly taxing so having some sort of post processing AA such a SMAA would have been great.

Also what on earth is going on with the ambient occlusion, the FPS hit from High to Ultra is pretty huge considering how there's barely any difference between them visually.
Also I'm running everything at ultra (except Ambient Occlusion at High) including the separate Ultra textures with a 770 4GB and I got 57 average fps at the benchmark. With 150% SSAA it went down to 46.
Overall I'm fairly happy with the performance, it didn't turn out to be as bad as people thought before release :D

blakdeth

5. No more jaggiessss!!

Add to OP?

Thanks for posting this. Unfortunately I cannot get SweetFX to work on Windows 8.1 64 bit with the 344.11 Nvidia drivers. I read that it is related to an incompatibility between SweetFX and the latest GeForce Experience or Nvidia drivers, but I am unable to verify this. In any event, I am glad it is working for you.

Levyne

Banned
Thanks for posting this. Unfortunately I cannot get SweetFX to work on Windows 8.1 64 bit with the 344.11 Nvidia drivers. I read that it is related to an incompatibility between SweetFX and the latest GeForce Experience or Nvidia drivers, but I am unable to verify this. In any event, I am glad it is working for you.

It's GeForce Experience and not the driver itself. Pretty sure you can roll it back.

Levyne

Banned
The game was running 100% perfect on my 970 with everything on ultra, except textures, until I got to the second area. Frame rate still seems high in the second map but I'm getting a ton of screen tearing which is something that didn't happen at all on the first map. Anyone else seeing this? I'm thinking about turning down AO to see if maybe I can get it back to perfection

Yeah the second map hit my framerate a bit too. Not sure what I should drop to compensate.

Sorry for double post, mobile :/

JohnGrimm

Camera + Object Motion Blur do not work, though Camera Only works fine. Tessellation doesn't work properly either. Can't tell if it's an AMD issue or not.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
My poor little 780ti is incapable of running the 2nd are a at a playable framerate set to ultra textures :(

So Tripple Buffering doesnt work in this game.

My FPS was at either 60 or 30.
Nothing in between no matter what.

I fixed it by using borderless mode in the options and vsync turned on as well in the options.

Is that right?

Is that what everyone else is doing?

I fixed it by using borderless mode in the options and vsync turned on as well in the options.

Is that right?

Yep. I turned vsync off as well though but I capped it at 60fps so it doesn't run my hardware so much.

Dr Dogg

Yeah the second map hit my framerate a bit too. Not sure what I should drop to compensate.

Sorry for double post, mobile :/

I'd imagine the Vegetation Range setting would be the first port of call seeing as there's grass everywhere. Can't test it out myself sorry as I haven't got there yet but that and AO would be the first two things I'd look at.

Braag

Is that right?

That's at least what I'm doing, vsync on and borderless. I don't get tearing and my fps wont be capped at 30.

Anyone know of Ultra Textures scale with your vram? Im on a Gtx 970 with 4 GB Vram and ultra only uses 3.3 - 3.5 Vram where as I see people with 6GB Vram cards running Ultra at 5.5 Vram so I was wondering does Ultra Textures scale based on how much video memory you have?

It has to do with how Windows manages memory. Whatever doesn't fit in VRAM will use system memory instead and not be reported by MSI Afterburner.

You can see it reflected in Resource Monitor under the Modified heading (orange) when you alt-tab out of the game. Low and Medium textures both fit on my 2gb card so Resource monitor doesn't show an increased load. Going to High textures fills the two gigabytes of my card and roughly a gigabyte spills over into system memory while Ultra Textures show up as ~4gb of modified memory.

Shari

Can vouch for that. Old Alienware 17R4 w/7970M user here with fried graphic card after less than two years.

I got myself a gaming desktop machine for a third of the alienware cost running a simple 660gtx and it performs better than the laptop.

Never forget.

Kiyoshi

I'm using Sweetfx now for some SMAA, and it looks really nice. But is there any of way of using SMAA only? I think it's altering other aspects of the image (the colours mainly), which I'm sure if part of the reason people use it, but I do prefer the original colours. Any tips?

Top Bottom