• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor PC Performance Thread

I'm using Sweetfx now for some SMAA, and it looks really nice. But is there any of way of using SMAA only? I think it's altering other aspects of the image (the colours mainly), which I'm sure if part of the reason people use it, but I do prefer the original colours. Any tips?

In my SweetFX_settings I have two entries that are 'switched on' by default:

#define USE_SMAA_ANTIALIASING 1
#define USE_LUMASHARPEN 1

Change #define USE_LUMASHARPEN 1 to become #define USE_LUMASHARPEN 0

See if that helps. I have no idea if it alters colours.

Levyne

Banned
In my SweetFX_settings I have two entries that are 'switched on' by default:

#define USE_SMAA_ANTIALIASING 1
#define USE_LUMASHARPEN 1

Change #define USE_LUMASHARPEN 1 to become #define USE_LUMASHARPEN 0

See if that helps.

I think vibrance starts on by default too.

Durante

So Tripple Buffering doesnt work in this game.

My FPS was at either 60 or 30.
Nothing in between no matter what.

I fixed it by using borderless mode in the options and vsync turned on as well in the options.

Is that right?

Is that what everyone else is doing?
Normally when you use borderless fullscreen you can turn off in-game V-sync entirely. You'll get triple buffering automatically because of desktop composition.

Koobion

So enabling the Ultra textures and still getting 60fps @ 1080p is in fact doable - with less than 6GB dedicated VRAM? From what I've gathered that seems to be the case, so long as you have at least 3GB.

Of course there are other variables, but is it fair to say that it can be pulled off if your machine far exceeds the recommended specs - *other* than the VRAM?

So enabling the Ultra textures and still getting 60fps @ 1080p is in fact doable - with less than 6GB dedicated VRAM? From what I've gathered that seems to be the case, so long as you have at least 3GB.

Of course there are other variables, but is it fair to say that it can be pulled off if your machine far exceeds the recommended specs - *other* than the VRAM?

Other specs shouldn't really make a difference with that. And I don't think I've seen people run the ultra textures with 3GB, although plenty with 4GB.

You are able to get 60FPS out of it, but the trouble is that you may still get a hitch every so often. You won't really notice a lack of VRAM with average FPS.

But plenty of people don't report hitching either, it may be that people won't notice it or that many people don't have it all, but there are some that do.

UnrealEck

Digital Foundry have a video on them you tubes of PS4 vs PC with ultra textures and they look identical.
I'd like someone outside of DF to do a 1:1 comparison though.

AXE

On 780ti, 4790k, 12G and an SSD, I'm getting rather poor performance on Ultra at 1440. The benchmark is pretty much useless. It has occasional jumps of 60 fps even, but every once in a while it dives and drops a kiss of ~10 frames. It is "playable" most of the time, but I feel rather funky about it on a system I've invested something like 1 500 euros alone without the peripherals.

The jagginess caught me off guard. Looks absolutely awful in that regard and for whatever reason I'm not getting SweetFX to work - no matter what version I try. Is there a general checklist over what might cause SweetFX for not to work in a particular game? Sometimes it feels very random. It might work. It might not. Would nvidia inspector tackle some of the problems?

Red Comet

On 780ti, 4790k, 12G and an SSD, I'm getting rather poor performance on Ultra at 1440. The benchmark is pretty much useless. It has occasional jumps of 60 fps even, but every once in a while it dives and drops a kiss of ~10 frames. It is "playable" most of the time, but I feel rather funky about it on a system I've invested something like 1 500 euros alone without the peripherals.

The jagginess caught me off guard. Looks absolutely awful in that regard and for whatever reason I'm not getting SweetFX to work - no matter what version I try. Is there a general checklist over what might cause SweetFX for not to work in a particular game? Sometimes it feels very random. It might work. It might not. Would nvidia inspector tackle some of the problems?

Yeah, unfortunately you're not going to be able to play on Ultra textures. Especially at 1440p. I've got 2 780 Ti's and even using an SLI fix I can't run Ultra textures with everything else maxed at 1080p. It averages about 60, but there are serious stutters whenever I turn the camera. Must be a VRAM problem. Luckily I can't tell much of a difference between Ultra textures and high textures.

I don't know about Sweet FX, but you can force FXAA through the NVIDIA control panel, which seems to help. You can also downsample by turning up your resolution, but that seems to half my framerate to 30 with everything else (except for textures on high) maxed.

Digital Foundry have a video on them you tubes of PS4 vs PC with ultra textures and they look identical.
I'd like someone outside of DF to do a 1:1 comparison though.

Well, they say themselves they are high textures. And a Youtube video is a pretty bad way to compare. But no, they are not that the same as the ultra textures.

bf3c0ac4e7.png

Well, it was announced it would be 6GB of VRAM on 1080P. Do you have more VRAM on your 780ti? Otherwise try to turn the texture setting down, although I doubt it would be that impactful.

The trouble with AA are well documented in this thread, you'll have to go through the last two pages or so, or turn up the resolution scaling.

UnrealEck

PS4 using high makes sense. That's what I thought it would use.
But of course people will go on thinking that SoM's 6GB reccomendation is a future peek at how you'll need cutting edge gaming hardware in your PC to match the might of a console.

I'm using Sweetfx now for some SMAA, and it looks really nice. But is there any of way of using SMAA only? I think it's altering other aspects of the image (the colours mainly), which I'm sure if part of the reason people use it, but I do prefer the original colours. Any tips?

I have played around an hour with SweetFX using the link from Mindman's post and the colours do not get altered in any way. I switched it off and on whilst playing and the only difference was to the anti-aliasing.

Braag

I also started using SweetFX SMAA rather than the in game SSAA which made my FPS drop noticeably in the second area ( as low as 27 at times), though it's probably all the vegetation mainly that makes the second area more performance heavy.
The SMAA is not perfect but it gets rid of most of the aliasing and my performance remains smooth.

Does anyone know if the PS4 version has all the extra effects found on the PC version (motion blur, AO, DoF)? I'm debating whether to play this on the PC or my PS4. I'm running a i7-4770k, 16gb ram, and gtx 760 2gb.

Kezen

Banned
Does anyone know if the PS4 version has all the extra effects found on the PC version (motion blur, AO, DoF)? I'm debating whether to play this on the PC or my PS4. I'm running a i7-4770k, 16gb ram, and gtx 760 2gb.

The PS4 in all likelihood has the same effects as the PC ultra settings.
EDIT : removed the Alien, part. Sorry for confusion.

RK9039

A pretty impressive PC version, graphically above the consoles and running superbly on even low-end PCs.

PS4/XBO are native 1080p IIRC, no idea about framerate.

Yeah, I didn't realize it ran so well. I'm a lot more interested in it now actually.

pixlexic

Banned
A pretty impressive PC version, graphically above the consoles and running superbly on even low-end PCs.

PS4/XBO are native 1080p IIRC, no idea about framerate.

I'm pretty sure the Xbone is 900p. Esides that I see little difference between the versions.

Mindman

See my post on the previous page to get it working

I moved everything up to ultra except for the textures (kept them at high), and I have yet experience any performance drops. The cheap-ish 6702 GB I picked up last Fall is easily the most hassle free card I've ever used.

kencey

I can't get AA to work in this game.

Tried AMD CCC created a profile, but nothing changes in-game.
Radeon Pro, the game does not detect apparently
SweetFX can't get it to work on Windows 8.1 i get error message

The hell ?!

SandTorso

Anybody playing this on an older pc with something close to a q6600? Game looks awesome but I haven't been able to afford it upgrade since I picked up a 670 a few years back. Usually my cpu is fine for newer games, but I noticed it was well below the minimum here.

tebunker

Banned
Ugh I need to read through this thread or dumb down my settings.

I feel like the game runs really well 85% of the time.

I7 4790
16gb ram
R9 270X 2gb

Will generally run smooth. Benchmarks avg at 61fpa with everything on high. Low was 30fps. I can live with that.

My issue is that it hiccups at the weirdest times. Not with 30 dudes and ton going on, but when I am out in open areas alone or just climbing.

Also there may be a memory leak because it definitely slows down the longer I play. I also noticed that it obv runs better after a fresh reboot

kencey

Ugh I need to read through this thread or dumb down my settings.

I feel like the game runs really well 85% of the time.

I7 4790
16gb ram
R9 270X 2gb

Will generally run smooth. Benchmarks avg at 61fpa with everything on high. Low was 30fps. I can live with that.

My issue is that it hiccups at the weirdest times. Not with 30 dudes and ton going on, but when I am out in open areas alone or just climbing.

Also there may be a memory leak because it definitely slows down the longer I play. I also noticed that it obv runs better after a fresh reboot

Try this,
Disable V-sync and use Borderless instead of Full-screen

Well, screw you guys for having so much fun with this game
;)

Amazon better have it here tomorrow or else... I will just sit here sad, probably.

Edit: wrong thread, was supposed to be in the OT. Fml

Normally when you use borderless fullscreen you can turn off in-game V-sync entirely. You'll get triple buffering automatically because of desktop composition.
So you turn off the ingame v-sync when borderless is on?
The frame limit should be set to 'No Limit'?
Do I have to turn on triple buffeting in the nvidia cp or no?

Kezen

Banned
Can anyone else confirm this? I'd be very surprised if the PS4 version is running all those effects.

You will have to wait for DF, textures wise the PS4 uses the high settings.
I don't know for sure about the rest but it's not a terribly demanding game on PC. A 7870 can actually run at 30fps/ultra so the PS4 can't be that far off, it's a slightly weaker GPU but low-level access (with very close to the hardware optimizations) can make up for that small disparity.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Gigabyte R9 270x OC
Intel Core i3 4130 3.4 ghz
4 GB Corsair Vengeance.

Turned shadows to high along with AO. Textures are set to high. Everything else is max.

Avg: 55-60 fps @ 1080p, with Vsync. Otherwise, getting around 70 -80 fps max

On a side note, please be aware that Vsync is broken. You have to constantly alt-tab the game back in as it drops down to 30 fps if you go even a frame below 60. Just a heads up.

xXBaconXx

Banned
I can't seem to get SweetFX to work with this game. Is there anything you have to do besides just putting the files in the correct folder?

Tizoc

I have an NVidia GTX 770M @ 3GB
I've set much of the settings to High but limited it to 30 FPS.
Game runs smooth, just a shame I can't get 60 FPS consistent but the game looks great.

Mindman

I can't seem to get SweetFX to work with this game. Is there anything you have to do besides just putting the files in the correct folder?

Since people are missing it, here's my previous post:

Mindman said:
Here's how to get SMAA working in this game.

1. Download the SweetFX 1.5.1 with x64 support from this page: http://sfx.thelazy.net/downloads/

2. Extract all files into the game's x64 directory which is where the executable is located. (C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\ShadowOfMordor\x64 - replace my Steam path with yours)

3. Enable SMAA and anything else you want in the SweetFX_settings.txt file

4. (The part no one explained) Move the DLL files out of the X64_dll's folder that got copied in with the rest of SweetFX, and put them into the game's x64 directory where the executable is, overwriting the 32-bit DLLs.

5. No more jaggiessss!!

It seems SLI has stopped working for me after injecting SMAA... Weird.

Anyway, at the moment SLI does not do much anyway so maybe I'll just play with a single card for now, performance is good.

AXE

See my post on the previous page to get it working

Thanks, but I got it working. Went through few versions of SweetFX again, installed about four drivers only to boot and forgetting to start up Fraps - which was the culprit. Fraps. Works with every other game + SweetFX.

Oh well, what I wouldn't give up for some iq. Fiddling with the settings now trying to hit the sweet spot. It really is rather amazing what you can dig up with lumasharpen... in almost any game.

Yeah, this is about the best game I've played in a while now. Can't really remember when it was this... good. I'm thinking about the game when I'm not playing and when I'm playing I'm hunting through the night. If only I could be a dwarf. With an axe.

d00d3n

I guess the sli fix may slip to the next week after all. It is about 2 pm in Washington, so ordinary office hours are almost over for this week.

thematic

anyone experience crashes while playing? no error, sound still working but the image stand still. i need to Alt F4 to exit the game (borderless)

I'm thinking it's because I Overclock my GPU quite high (GTX 750 Ti @ ~1400MHz/6000MHz) but I played Tomb Raider before without crash

Sanctuary

Almost finished the game, and for the most part it ran like a dream with everything on Ultra (but not the textures, didn't install them, didn't see the point) on my GTX 780. Ended up overclocking as high as I could from Furmark, but ended up seeing some black artifacting in game, so I turned it down slightly. No more artifacting and my minimum framerate on the Bench (ran it 5x) was 43.

I have two questions though.

1. When you limit the framerate in the options to say 60, how does that function differently than vsync on a 60hz screen? I had vsync OFF my entire playthrough but capped the framerate at 60 and never saw any screen tearning once, but I also never got the 30 FPS drop you get when you have vsync enabled and your framerates drop below what your monitor or tv displays.

2. What's up with the random blue streak on the upper left corner of the screen? It looks like it's a loading or streaming graphic, but I've had it come up twice now and permanently stay on the screen pulsing left and right until I completely exit the game.

b0bbyJ03

Does anyone know if MFAA is going to be a control panel activated feature for the 900 series cards or will it be an in game setting? It would be awesome to be able to activate a nice AA option right from the Nvidia control panel that isn't FXAA

Nephrahim

So what's the deal with the processor required for this game? I was ready to upgrade my old 955 for a FX-8350, but then I looked around and apparently the game runs fine on even the 955 Black Edition?

Is anyone else playing it with a Phenom II?

Top Bottom