• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midway announces Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/22/news_6111245.html

Today, Midway announced some major changes to the Mortal Kombat franchise. The first was the unveiling of the next game in the series, Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks. Unlike regular Mortal Kombat games, Shaolin Monks will be an action-adventure title, allowing players to explore a world beyond the arena of death. The game is currently in development for the Xbox and PlayStation 2 and is slated for a fall 2005 release.

The other big change to the Mortal Kombat series is its frequency. In a statement, Midway president David F. Zucker said a new game in the franchise would arrive each year. “Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks is also our first step toward delivering something that Mortal Kombat fans have been calling for: a new game set in the Mortal Kombat universe every year," he said. "We are planning our Mortal Kombat release schedule with the expectation that we will deliver a new Mortal Kombat title annually.”

belgurdo

Banned
Mortal%20Kombat%20Mythologies%20-%20Sub-Zero%20(U).jpg

166289.jpg

Mission failed

RiZ III

An adventure game set in the MK universe sounds interesting, although my expectations for it being pulled off well are not high.

raYne

Anyanka said:
Neither MKM or MKSF were made by anyone working on MKSM.
I'll give you that, but the Konquest mode in Deception is horrible. No menu/notebook to keep track of your current sidequests, a map with no reference markings, one "attack"?, no jumping so I have to run all the way around the damned castle/building because there's a 6 inch stream or a one foot ledge "blocking" my path. I thank God they were kind enough to at least have running.

As a result, I'm not getting my hopes up over this.

Mrbob

I'll be the first to say I think this will be a good game.

In a statement, Midway president David F. Zucker said a new game in the franchise would arrive each year. “Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks is also our first step toward delivering something that Mortal Kombat fans have been calling for: a new game set in the Mortal Kombat universe every year," he said. "We are planning our Mortal Kombat release schedule with the expectation that we will deliver a new Mortal Kombat title annually.”

Oh shit.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Wario64 said:
In a statement, Midway president David F. Zucker said a new game in the franchise would arrive each year. “Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks is also our first step toward delivering something that Mortal Kombat fans have been calling for: a new game set in the Mortal Kombat universe every year," he said. "We are planning our Mortal Kombat release schedule with the expectation that we will deliver a new Mortal Kombat title annually.”
midway2004.jpg

kinda slapdash, I know, but :D

evil ways

Supposedly Shaolin Monks is being developed by Paradox but with input from Ed Boon and John Vogel.

I'll give you that, but the Konquest mode in Deception is horrible. No menu/notebook to keep track of your current sidequests, a map with no reference markings, one "attack"?, no jumping so I have to run all the way around the damned castle/building because there's a 6 inch stream or a one foot ledge "blocking" my path. I thank God they were kind enough to at least have running.

There's a huge difference between a stand alone game being developed with emphasis on fighting and action/adventure, and an added suplement mode to a fighting game, which main purpose is to explore, tell the background story of a character, unlock secrets and serve as a training mode to all the characters.

It's like comparing Super Mario 64 to one of the Super Mario Sunshine challenge stages(the ones without the backpack).

Anyanka

Paradox's history isn't exactly all that impressive though. Wu Tang and X-Men Next Dimension pretty much sucked. How hard can it be to make a competent MK beat em up though?

I hope Vogel writes the entire story. I am most looking forward to them finally detailing what happened inbetween MK II and MK3. Tobias was always so vague. MKM's gameplay was awful, but the story was pretty cool and very important to the series. So if this sucks it at least better have the story.

raYne

evil ways said:
There's a huge difference between a stand alone game being developed with emphasis on fighting and action/adventure, and an added suplement mode to a fighting game, which main purpose is to explore, tell the background story of a character, unlock secrets and serve as a training mode to all the characters.

It's like comparing Super Mario 64 to one of the Super Mario Sunshine challenge stages(the ones without the backpack).
As you see in my post, most of the problems I have with the konquest mode has nothing to do with the lack of "fighting" or it being a proper action/adventure. The lack of everything else I listed is what gets a big "wtf?" from me.

In actuality the only reason I wanted another attack is because I liked to run up behind random npc's and hit them in the head. A jump kick would've been nice rather than the same one handed clothesline over and over. :p

Anyanka

I hate the training missions. There's an in game movelist, so it's not like you need the game to tell you the special moves and they make you do the most BASIC stuff. Ok, it's time to practice hitting square! GOOD JOB! Doing this once would be silly enough, but you do it like 20 times!

evil ways

raYne said:
As you see in my post, most of the problems I have with the konquest mode has nothing to do with the lack of "fighting" or it being a proper action/adventure. The lack of everything else I listed is what gets a big "wtf?" from me.

In actuality the only reason I wanted another attack is because I liked to run up behind random npc's and hit them in the head. A jump kick would've been nice rather than the same one handed clothesline over and over. :p

My point is that Konquest is not supposed to be a deep, standalone game. It's a quickly done, simplified mini game so you can unlock stuff, train and learn Shujinko's story. Your purpose is to just talk to people and do fetch quests.

raYne

evil ways said:
My point is that Konquest is not supposed to be a deep, standalone game. It's a quickly done, simplified mini game so you can unlock stuff, train and learn Shujinko's story. Your purpose is to just talk to people and do fetch quests.

I saw and understood your point. My point is that these fetch quests are a pain in the ass for the same reasons I posted.

*moves on*

there's pics and a blowout in the new GI. Honestly, it doesn't look that hot. The character models are SUPER blocky and angular. The plot takes place through the all of MK1-3, so its sort of like Rogue Squadron to Star Wars in that regard.

Mrbob

Oh yeah you can't have a mortal kombat adventure game without pulling big giant levers in the open.

Having said that, the game looks like it captures the feel of Outworld very well.

Pachinko

ugh.

It doesn't look that awful but seriously does midway want to bury the franchise into the ground again so they can't dig it up for 3 more years ?. I seem to recall after MK4 the whole thing kind of collapsed...

aoi tsuki

Maybe i just completely missed the point of the game, but... where's the Shaolin monks? Is this the game equivalent of Grapenuts?

xsarien

daedsiluap
The other big change to the Mortal Kombat series is its frequency. In a statement, Midway president David F. Zucker said a new game in the franchise would arrive each year

:: Facepalm ::

ElyrionX

Wario64 said:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/22/news_6111245.htmlThe other big change to the Mortal Kombat series is its frequency. In a statement, Midway president David F. Zucker said a new game in the franchise would arrive each year. “Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks is also our first step toward delivering something that Mortal Kombat fans have been calling for: a new game set in the Mortal Kombat universe every year," he said. "We are planning our Mortal Kombat release schedule with the expectation that we will deliver a new Mortal Kombat title annually.”

milking_cow.jpg

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
metdroid said:
wow, and it keeps the awesome graphics of mortal kombat: deception! *shudder*

Dude, the game is pre-alpha, come on, it isn't that bad. Also, the game's timeline is set sometime during the MKII era. It's got a DMC style to it as far as combat goes.

Razoric

Banned
Mortal Kombat trolls are always funny... its like they are threatened by the game or something. Don't like the game or the series? Then why the fuck come in the threads... not only that, why post multiple times in said thread?

Razoric said:
Mortal Kombat trolls are always funny... its like they are threatened by the game or something. Don't like the game or the series? Then why the fuck come in the threads... not only that, why post multiple times in said thread?

It's a forum. A forum is where people discuss about their opinions.

Razoric

Banned
Littleberu said:
It's a forum. A forum is where people discuss about their opinions.

I don't see any discussion here.. more of the same HAHA MK SUXXOR WHY NOT DIE ALREAYD LOLOL IT SUCKS. Let me know when there is any construtive crit on the game / series.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Razoric said:
I don't see any discussion here.. more of the same HAHA MK SUXXOR WHY NOT DIE ALREAYD LOLOL IT SUCKS. Let me know when there is any construtive crit on the game / series.

so youre never guilty of trolling then? Ill remembet that. There have been plenty of real crits of the mortal kombat games, people just go back to OMG ITS FUN CAN T I JUST PLAY AGAME BECAUSE ITS FUN DURHDURHUR

Razoric said:

Well some of the criticism comes from the fact that Midway are planning to do MK games ANNUALLY. That really sucks. This isn't a sports franchise. The MK games are going to be become stale really quickly if they do this.

I loved MK1 and 2 but have lost interest in the series since. I'm intersted in trying Deception though. And this game could be great if done right but my hopes aren't high :(

shuri

Banned
Red Dolphin said:
Well some of the criticism comes from the fact that Midway are planning to do MK games ANNUALLY. That really sucks. This isn't a sports franchise. The MK games are going to be become stale really quickly if they do this.

I loved MK1 and 2 but have lost interest in the series since. I'm intersted in trying Deception though. And this game could be great if done right but my hopes aren't high :(

Mk1 came out in 1992, MK2 in 93, MK3 in 94 :\

Top Bottom