• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midway XBLA games disappear from the XBLM

Grecco

Hate this. Maybe i wanted to buy Smash TV today. I cant now. Ugh. Hate this part of the DD future.

I think i still have Double Dragon on my HDD thats not available either..

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Son of Godzilla said:
So what exactly would happen should I exchange my hdd with said game on it and the console/id it's associated with in return for money? The game spontaneously combusts? Just because there isn't an extensive used market for the things doesn't mean it's impossible. Right now the market doesn't exist because there is no need for it.

So if someone wants to buy ten "out of print" XBLA games, you're saying that they should buy ten separate 360s or hope that someone is selling a 360 with those exact games pre-loaded and no extras? Or alternatively ten gamertags which people are going to sell to make a buck fifty on the game license they're selling to you?

Really?

Stumpokapow said:

So if someone wants to buy ten "out of print" XBLA games, you're saying that they should buy ten separate 360s or hope that someone is selling a 360 with those exact games pre-loaded and no extras? Or alternatively ten gamertags which people are going to sell to make a buck fifty on the game license they're selling to you?

Really?
And here I thought not being able to pay hundreds of dollars for a collector's item was one of the complaints.

Son of Godzilla said:
So what exactly would happen should I exchange my hdd with said game on it and the console/id it's associated with in return for money? The game spontaneously combusts? Just because there isn't an extensive used market for the things doesn't mean it's impossible. Right now the market doesn't exist because there is no need for it.

It is not practical to buy a whole console for a XBLA game. Imagine that you want all the games that are not available anymore. How many machines you have to buy? Maybe one console have more than one game, but all? It is not the same as the expensive rare retail games.

goldenpp72

it sucks people can't buy the stuff they may want in the future, but it is what it is, buy the shit you want now and don't cry. As long as stuff we purchased can always be re downloaded, it's all good.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The funny thing to me is a whole bunch of games vanished off of Steam not too long ago and nobody noticed.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
dallow_bg said:
Because you can likely buy those games from other sources.

Or no?

Yes, yes I think you can, at the very least try the secondary market. Though it isn't like getting those Midway games are very hard either, Midway released quite a few comp packs over the years.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Shard said:
Yes, yes I think you can, at the very least try the secondary market. Though it isn't like getting those Midway games are very hard either, Midway released quite a few comp packs over the years.
Right, but they're a little different what with the Live integration and achievements. That's really what people are going to miss about it.

Those missing Steam games are available elsewhere and are the same exact game.

With all this new found attention, hopefully someone will fix SmashTV multiplayer from crashing all the time! 4+ years without a patch and still going!

mrgone

2yvjjet.png

Moment of silence, please.

Eiji

Chrange said:
Yeah, I looked it up. What I 'huh' about it when people admit it's for pirating games.

No. The reason why I said what I said is because if my 'normal' 360 with these Midway XBLA games packs up then I can transfer the games over to the JTAG'd 360 and play them.

TwIsTeD

Eiji said:
So glad I got a JTAG'd 360 :D

wow.....yea the only thing thats borderline not bad about that is the ability to play games from other regions with the JTAG box....otherwise :pirate: :lol

WEGGLES

MightyHedgehog said:
I'm not following. I was under the impression that GR was to be a new category for DD releases...a segregation in the marketplace where old and unenhanced console and arcade emulations are put, leaving Arcade to be focused on remakes and wholly new releases.
Yeah, they plan on putting out hundreds in the first year. I doubt they're fixing up stuff like BC:rearmed. One could dream though.

I've been sitting on this Robotron code for years and now when I try using it... "There is a problem with the offer associated with this code." =(

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Chrange said:
People who already bought them can still get them, but they can't keep selling them as a new product because of licensing. It's happened with other games in the past. Freaking doomsayers.
That was my main concern. So long as it was downloaded when it was available, if, say, you're 360 crashes, can you redownload them again if needed? If not, then it is indeed a 'grim look' for digital distribution.

Z_Y

Sorry for the bump fellas but I'm trying to re-download UMK3 from my download history and it is telling me the item is no longer available. I thought that removed games would still be available to those that bought them. :-/

KAL2006

Banned
Z_Y said:
Sorry for the bump fellas but I'm trying to re-download UMK3 from my download history and it is telling me the item is no longer available. I thought that removed games would still be available to those that bought them. :-/

If you can't re-download purchased games (even though the game is removed), then that is just terrible. This would be one of the biggest reasons why DD is a joke.

itsgreen

Z_Y said:

It should be. Try contacting support (via twitter: @xboxsupport)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
KAL2006 said:
If you can't re-download purchased games (even though the game is removed), then that is just terrible. This would be one of the biggest reasons why DD is a joke.

why xbox live is a joke.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i know it was months ago that people were talking about the whole "Well what if your discs shattered scenario" versus consoles dying is kind of ridiculous. If my Torment discs shattered spontaneously and my back-up copies of them failed for some reason i can get another copy relatively quickly via another person. The same could not be said for DD since the option to resell what you purchased isnt available.

Yes Boss!

Damn, this must be the reason I can't redownloaf my Smash TV on my most recent 360...guess I have to transfer it from my old box.

epmode

I just tested this on a new console and I was able to download the full version of Smash TV from my download history. So: False alarm

In related news, delisting a game is understandable. However, preventing current owners from re-downloading a purchased game is a bullshit move. ..but I can't think of any still-functional service that has done this.
gutter_trash said:
this news sucks on the DD world.
as a big XBLA and PSN game purchaser, I am not liking this trend of making old DD games go bye bye
What on earth are you complaining about? If you purchased the game in the past, you can still download it. Delisting a game is almost exactly the same as a game being taken off store shelves. If a game's rights are in question, how can Microsoft collect money for new copies? ..Unless you're suggesting that they hire a wizard to sell used copies through XBLM?

Yes Boss!

I definitely have issues with redownloading Smash TV on my newest XBOX. Not sure what is the problem...maybe because I'm using a european IP with my american console.

I can get here:

eb571488.jpg

Then I can begin downloading:

96af0594.jpg

Then I get this message:

e015dd96.jpg

Z_Y

Yea...not sure what is going on with my situation. Sorry if I scared anybody. I can go through the download history and scroll back several thousand transactions and download games that have been delisted.....but I can't do it via the website. That's where i get the content unavailable message. Odd. Got my games back though. Only 98 minutes on the phone to do it too.

On a side note, can the the download history on both the dash and the website be more obtuse? Why can't I sort by content, i.e arcade/add-ons/themes etc. Such a pain.

Top Bottom