• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#Miiquality | Bringing same-sex relationships to Nintendo's Tomodachi series

Tyeforce

UPDATE: Nintendo has responded:
Nintendo said:
We are committed to fun and entertainment for everyone
2014-05-09
We apologize for disappointing many people by failing to include same-sex relationships in Tomodachi Life. Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to change this game’s design, and such a significant development change can’t be accomplished with a post-ship patch. At Nintendo, dedication has always meant going beyond the games to promote a sense of community, and to share a spirit of fun and joy. We are committed to advancing our longtime company values of fun and entertainment for everyone. We pledge that if we create a next installment in the Tomodachi series, we will strive to design a game-play experience from the ground up that is more inclusive, and better represents all players.
http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/c4FWbi-Uave2T9R1h7SFzX0aoa-d4pgx

#Miiquality has succeeded in its primary goal—to bring the issue to Nintendo's attention in hopes that future iterations of Tomodachi Life will support same-sex relationships. Despite its relationship limitations, please consider purchasing Tomodachi Life to support the development of future, more inclusive Tomodachi titles, as Nintendo has promised. Miiquality will continue to bring attention to Tomodachi Life and subsequent titles, and act as a hub for LGBTQIA Nintendo fans as well. We hope that the success of Miiquality will continue to influence the video game industry and raise awareness of other equality issues in video games and other media, and in general. Thank you all who have supported Miiquality and helped spread the word. Without your efforts, this movement couldn't have been a success.

The next step for #Miiquality is to try to bring more positive attention to Tomodachi Life after Nintendo's apology and pledge to make future installments in the Tomodachi series more inclusive. If Tomodachi Life is successful, there's a very good chance that we'll see a next installment that does feature same-sex marriage. But that can't happen if Nintendo doesn't make another installment in the series, so let's try to bring positive attention to Tomodachi Life!

You can help by sharing this message on Facebook, Twitter, or Tumblr:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=400841660056807
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Miiquality/status/465332697536032770
Tumblr: http://miiquality.tumblr.com/post/85382241425/reblog-this-post-if-youll-be-buying-tomodachi

--

EDIT: Unfortunately, the video was removed from YouTube due to a violation of "Community Guidelines," but it has been uploaded to Vimeo, Facebook, and Tumblr instead.

fYVtiNL.png

I know there are a lot of people who are excited about Tomodachi Life for Nintendo 3DS. I'd like to be as well...but there's a problem; the game doesn't support same-sex relationships. For myself and many other LGBTQ individuals, this is a big problem, because relationships are such a big part of the game.

So, I wanted to do something to try to change that. That's why I've started this—the Miiquality movement. I've made a video for the movement below:

Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/93044318
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=394540890686884
Tumblr: http://miiquality.tumblr.com/post/84239522300/miiquality

Retweet! http://spredd.it/daJ44erx
Share on Facebook! http://on.fb.me/1ipv0DZ

Use the hashtag #Miiquality on social network sites to speak up and tell Nintendo to add same-sex relationships to Tomodachi Life!

I'd really like for this movement to pick up and become noticed. You can help by spreading the word however you can! Even though it would be crazy to expect the game to be changed before release this June, there's always hope that Nintendo may release an update for the game sometime after release, or at the very least consider adding same-sex relationships in a sequel. Speaking up and making some noise will do more than doing nothing at all, after all! It can't hurt to try!

You can follow Miiquality on Facebook, Twitter, or Tumblr to show your support and stay updated.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Miiquality
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Miiquality
Tumblr: http://miiquality.tumblr.com

I plan to post regular updates on the Miiquality pages once the movement picks up, and if you have an article, video, or anything of your own regarding Miiquality that you'd like to be shared, let me know and I'll post it!

I hope we can make a difference together, for Miiquality!

--

Articles about #Miiquality
The Gay Gamer — Spread the word: #Miiquality
GayGamer.net — The Fight For #Miiquality
Kotaku — Fighting For Gay Marriage In A Nintendo Game
Polygon — Tomodachi Life fan campaigns for Nintendo to add same-sex relationships
Geekosystem — New Campaign Asks Nintendo For Representation of Same-Sex Relationships

d+pad

Great job, Tye! Obviously I support this effort wholeheartedly and I'll do what I can to (continue to) spread the word about it.

Let's hope the folks at Nintendo of America take this message to heart and finally pull their heads out of the sand when it comes to this issue.

Kazerei

Banned
They patched out the gay marriage glitch about a month after release, so I'm sure they can change the game to enable same-sex marriages instead. Do it, Nintendo.

Wait, I thought you could have male-male relationships in the Japanese version? Well, if I can't have a boyfriend in this, then yeah, definitely not buying.

Kyzon

Wait, I thought you could have male-male relationships in the Japanese version? Well, if I can't have a boyfriend in this, then yeah, definitely not buying.

iirc that was a glitch and never intended. Nintendo then patched it out, and outcries from the west happened because they thought Nintendo intentionally put it there then took it out.

Hopefully you can put in the Konami code to become gay.

Camjo-Z

Would changing your Mii's gender to the opposite sex work? In Mii Maker it just changes your shirt to a dress, and since Tomodachi Life lets you wear different outfits I assume that wouldn't matter anyway.

Marcel

I support this even though Nintendo of America is likely not to do or say anything about it. They're good at that type of thing.

Thorakai

Even if Tomodachi Life can no longer be patched or changed to properly implement gay marriages, a movement like this should at least get Nintendo to notice the importance of the LBGTQ community in gaming. They've been pretty behind in terms of offering diversity options in general what with the restrictions on race in Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem. Gonna lend my support so that future games no longer have to suffer from this problem again.

Oersted

It wasn't about homosexual relationships. It was about gamebreaking.Inability to save sometimes,the game sometimes failing to boot, and, when we are talking about homosexual relationships... While men have been able to have a relationship and even to become pregnant, they same didn't apply to women. Women haven't been able to their find their love.

Does Nintendo of America even have the authority to decide these things? Wouldn't the Japanese dev team have to patch this in?

Iwata is now responsible for NoA. Never say never.

Awesome video you put together, Tye. I definitely spread the news about it on my Twitter account. I hope Nintendo listens and if nothing can be done about it for TL, then perhaps they can use the video for reference towards an upcoming game that'll support all communities.

Yuck. What kind of message are Nintendo sending with this? It's almost as if they've forgotten how wonderfully inclusive they've been of trans* characters like Birdo, or that their games are for _everyone_, and gone and made a game that's already a bit unfortunately backward.

We should hold them accountable via a campaign of escalating direct action: targeted write-in campaigns, phone calls, office visits, moving picket in front of their offices, traffic-blocking during rush hour as their work gets out (potentially arrestable) with huge pro-Miiquality banners, and finally, an epic sit-in within Reggie's office. At some point during the escalation process, the issue will become so crucial, so dramatic that it can no longer be ignored.

Firehead

Well done with the video. Here's hopin' Nintendo listens. >_>

Would the game's rating change if this was to happen? Are there any other E rates games with same sex relationships?

Why would it change the rating? This question doesn't make any sense.

Would changing your Mii's gender to the opposite sex work? In Mii Maker it just changes your shirt to a dress, and since Tomodachi Life lets you wear different outfits I assume that wouldn't matter anyway.

As seen in the video, this is an option. It's just... a horribly suboptimal option. There's no reason the game shouldn't allow for same sex marriage.

Jintor

Yuck. What kind of message are Nintendo sending with this? It's almost as if they've forgotten how wonderfully inclusive they've been of trans* characters like Birdo, or that their games are for _everyone_, and gone and made a game that's already a bit unfortunately backward.

We should hold them accountable via a campaign of escalating direct action: targeted write-in campaigns, phone calls, office visits, moving picket in front of their offices, traffic-blocking during rush our as their work gets out (potentially arrestable) with huge pro-Miiquality banners), and finally, an epic sit-in within Reggie's office. At some point during the escalation process, the issue will become so crucial, so dramatic that it can no longer be ignored.

i can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Anyway, I support this thing. Great name.

Kazerei

Banned
It wasn't about homosexual relationships. It was about gamebreaking.Inability to save sometimes,the game sometimes failing to boot, and, when we are talking about homosexual relationships... While men have been able to have a relationship and even to become pregnant, they same didn't apply to women. Women haven't been able to their find their love.

I don't own the game, but it sounded like the patch fixed a bunch of things, including the male-male relationships and male pregnancy, as well as the inability to save and boot, like you mentioned.

Salsa

Would the game's rating change if this was to happen? Are there any other E rates games with same sex relationships?

what?

great video Tye. At this point in time I doubt there could be anything done about this game in terms of altering it but it would be nice to at least get recognition on the issue from Nintendo. Tis a shame

Oersted

I don't own the game, but it sounded like the patch fixed a bunch of things, including the male-male relationships and male pregnancy, as well as the inability to save and boot, like you mentioned.

It was all part of the glitch, therefore calling it 'gay-marriage glitch' is... a little bit shortsighted and/or missleading. Thats all.

Kazerei

Banned
It was all part of the glitch, therefore calling it 'gay-marriage glitch' is... a little bit shortsighted and/or missleading. Thats all.

I see. I don't own the game and didn't know that, I thought it was just a list of glitches covered by the patch.

People still think that same sex relationships are somehow more explicit/ sexual than hetero relations. Whenever Princess Bubblegum x Marceline comes up in Adventure Time comments, there are people who say things like 'Ew, it's a show for kids, why would they have lesbians in there?".

Hope this works TC, games like this should definitely give you the option.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Good pitch. And I applaud and support the initiative.

I'm not sure about the chances of this release getting altered, but if anything voicing out these concerns enough to ensure future releases receive a different treatment may be worth it. This may not be a big of a deal in Japan, considering where they stand on equality issues, but I feel Nintendo could use a good example or two of how Western markets are changing and will continue to change, socially speaking.

They patched out the gay marriage glitch about a month after release, so I'm sure they can change the game to enable same-sex marriages instead. Do it, Nintendo.

Just to be clear, it really was a bad glitch. Two males in a relationship caused a bunch of bizarre issues including inability to save. It's not a switch they can flip.

The game would need an actual patch to flag a particular character as accepting of female relationships, male relationships, or both.

I can see it causing some serious complications too due to the love triangle mechanics as shown in the Nintendo Direct. They'd have to make sure incompatible Miis can never lust after each other. It looks like when a confrontation is forced and there are three Miis vying for the love of one, the one has to choose one of them...so what if the one is gay and the three are all straight females going after him? That sort of situation.

The way the game is currently designed, there's never a conflict. I'm not saying these things shouldn't be in the game, just that it really would be a lot more complex.

In fact I wonder if one reason Nintendo might be hesitant is because they want this world where anyone can hook up with anyone, but if you have exactly one gay friend on the island then he is doomed to never be able to hook up with anyone...unless Nintendo starts sending out official gay Miis to all players.

Well done with the video. Here's hopin' Nintendo listens. >_>

As seen in the video, this is an option. It's just... a horribly suboptimal option. There's no reason the game shouldn't allow for same sex marriage.
Well there would be same sex relationships in the game. Maybe Im alone thinking this but I figure if parents or whoever find out it could be controversal thats all. It happens.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Just to be clear, it really was a bad glitch. Two males in a relationship caused a bunch of bizarre issues including inability to save. It's not a switch they can flip.

The game would need an actual patch to flag a particular character as accepting of female relationships, male relationships, or both.

I can see it causing some serious complications too due to the love triangle mechanics as shown in the Nintendo Direct. They'd have to make sure incompatible Miis can never lust after each other. It looks like when a confrontation is forced and there are three Miis vying for the love of one, the one has to choose one of them...so what if the one is gay and the three are all straight females going after him? That sort of situation.

The way the game is currently designed, there's never a conflict. I'm not saying these things shouldn't be in the game, just that it really would be a lot more complex.

In fact I wonder if one reason Nintendo might be hesitant is because they want this world where anyone can hook up with anyone, but if you have exactly one gay friend on the island then he is doomed to never be able to hook up with anyone...unless Nintendo starts sending out official gay Miis to all players.

Basically this, plus there's the thorny issue of Miis navigating to other 3DS consoles and having relationships.

Y'know another thing I wonder, and I apologize for playing devil's advocate here, but maybe another reason Nintendo is hesitant is the avenue for teasing/bullying.

Kid puts another kid in his game and makes that kid gay, gets him in a gay relationship, and shows all his friends.

I know that kind of teasing shouldn't be acceptable, but it still happens.

Basically this, plus there's the thorny issue of Miis navigating to other 3DS consoles and having relationships.

Oh man, and that would even make this worse. Jimmy, straight, the butt of all the jokes at school, gets passed around to everyone's 3DS as being gay. :(

It shouldn't change the rating, as while it may be "controversial" it's wouldn't make the game any more explicit.
To some people it could be more explicit. Depending on your perspective. I agree with you but theres also another side to it one could look at it from.

Y'know another thing I wonder, and I apologize for playing devil's advocate here, but maybe another reason Nintendo is hesitant is the avenue for teasing/bullying.

Kid puts another kid in his game and makes that kid gay, gets him in a gay relationship, and shows all his friends.

Oh man, and that would even make this worse. Jimmy, straight, the butt of all the jokes at school, gets passed around to everyone's 3DS as being gay. :(
This too. I agree could be a possibility.

Terrell

I still think it's bullshit that the mere existence of a gay individual in a video game would affect the ESRB rating. Perhaps you could add this to your campaign, Tye. Expand it beyond the realm of this singular title.

I imagine what will most likely happen is they'll change the marketing to stop saying "your life" and go to the more-accurate "It's a dollhouse with your friends in it" thing.

But attention should be called to it, regardless. More games should make an effort to be more inclusive.

i can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Anyway, I support this thing. Great name.

Not terribly serious, but it'd probably be effective. We've used similar processes to have wins for LGBTQ rights in civil law on local, state, and national levels--so why not with Nintendo? ;p

I still think it's bullshit that the mere existence of a gay individual in a video game would affect the ESRB rating. Perhaps you could add this to your campaign, Tye. Expand it beyond the realm of this singular title.

Is this true?? If it is then that's completely outrageous.

zhorkat

There are already plenty of ways to take advantage of the Mii customization tools to make fun of people, though.

It shouldn't affect the rating in any way.

Terrell

Is this true?? If it is then that's completely outrageous.

Sexuality is grouped as "Sexual Themes" according to the ESRB guidelines, which would AT MINIMUM bump an E rating to an E10, depending on the "severity" of the references to sexuality. More often, though, it would bump the game to a T rating.

Top Bottom