• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#Miiquality | Bringing same-sex relationships to Nintendo's Tomodachi series

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
It's a community guidelines strike, not a copyright strike, so the usage of game footage isn't the justification being used to take it down.
Ah, gotcha. With that distinction in mind, I hope there's a good chance of successfully appealing.

Won't hurt to try.

That's what I'm guessing... =/ I mean, I did use music from Tomodachi Life, and YouTube matched the copyrighted content, but all they did for that was disable monetization. I've never had a video taken down before for using music like that.

Thank you. I guess I can upload the video to Facebook for now...

Or Vimeo, too!

Vimeo is a good short term solution while you work on the appeal

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wonder if they just never expected to release the game outside of Japan and, well, LGBTQ issues aren't exactly at the forefront in Japan.

The Community Guidelines are here, but I seriously doubt the video violated any of them. (Even though I didn't watch the video.)

The only thing I can think of is that the Tomodachi Life video clips made it past Content ID somehow but then got flagged by the YouTube staffer who reviews all flagged videos (assuming that "we review all flagged videos manually" isn't just a complete fabrication on YouTube's part). So even if a bunch of jerks flagged the video for THE GAYZ, YouTube might have decided you used too many Tomodachi clips and taken down your video on that basis?

Otherwise, yeah, it's bullshit. And even the video clips could arguably be fair use, since a) you're not making any money off it, b) it's political commentary, and c) your use is not to create a derivative work (I don't think, anyway--critique doesn't count as a derivative work unless it's in a substantially similar medium like another game, right?). But I am not a lawyer.

Tyeforce

Have you appealed it yet Tye? I heard it can take a while for it to go through, so the sooner the better I think.

I submitted an appeal, yes. Though from what I've heard about YouTube appeals, I'm not counting on it to be resolved anytime soon... =/

I'm currently uploading the video to Vimeo, and Facebook will follow after that. It's probably going to take awhile, though... >.<

I've had videos removed for community guideline stuff before. It's not difficult to get back up, but it is a lengthy process (for no reason other than priority or bureaucracy). Unless your channel has a few million views, they're unlikely to believe trolls conspired to take it down immediately, or at least care enough to fix it.

Though that was a year or two ago so it might be better/faster now.

Platy

Appeal.... and announce that bigots took the video down.

Then try to send this info to polygon or kotaku ... and then visibility !

It is almost the Anita's Law =P

Also, tweeted !

"we review all flagged videos manually" isn't just a complete fabrication on YouTube's part).

I think that's probably bullshit. When you consider the volume of video that YouTube has to deal with, it's gotta just be an algorithm that takes down every video that gets flagged a certain number of times and they don't actually review it unless it gets appealed. But if they actually said that then everyone would know that the flag button is a useful as a mega-dislike button.

And even the video clips could arguably be fair use, since a) you're not making any money off it, b) it's political commentary, and c) your use is not to create a derivative work (I don't think, anyway--critique doesn't count as a derivative work unless it's in a substantially similar medium like another game, right?). But I am not a lawyer.

There's no way to know if something actually is fair use unless you go to court, but if anything was ever fair use, this it. It meets just about all of the qualifiers.

Cbajd5

The only thing I can think of is that the Tomodachi Life video clips made it past Content ID somehow but then got flagged by the YouTube staffer who reviews all flagged videos (assuming that "we review all flagged videos manually" isn't just a complete fabrication on YouTube's part). So even if a bunch of jerks flagged the video for THE GAYZ, YouTube might have decided you used too many Tomodachi clips and taken down your video on that basis?

Otherwise, yeah, it's bullshit. And even the video clips could arguably be fair use, since a) you're not making any money off it, b) it's political commentary, and c) your use is not to create a derivative work (I don't think, anyway--critique doesn't count as a derivative work unless it's in a substantially similar medium like another game, right?). But I am not a lawyer.

I haven't had a video taken down for copyright violations since 2009, but taking it down for footage of the game would probably fall under that. And in that case I think it could only be done by Nintendo (or someone impersonating them, which seems unlikely) and they'd be named in the e-mail as the Copyright Holder who requested the takedown, not just their Youtube team.

(More recently I've had one identified as containing material that may be owned by a copyright holder and thus was being limited to who could view it based on country or whatever, but that also named the Copyright Holder who requested the action.)

Once the videos back up I'll definitely tweet it at NoA. Even if it's too late for this game, this could have an effect on future titles and that would be super cool.

Tyeforce

I'm kind of concerned about the video being taken down again on Vimeo because I believe Vimeo's copyright guidelines are a lot stricter than YouTube's... But it'll be on Facebook soon, too, and hopefully the appeal on YouTube goes through...

adam2893

Banned
Yuck. What kind of message are Nintendo sending with this? It's almost as if they've forgotten how wonderfully inclusive they've been of trans* characters like Birdo, or that their games are for _everyone_, and gone and made a game that's already a bit unfortunately backward.

We should hold them accountable via a campaign of escalating direct action: targeted write-in campaigns, phone calls, office visits, moving picket in front of their offices, traffic-blocking during rush hour as their work gets out (potentially arrestable) with huge pro-Miiquality banners, and finally, an epic sit-in within Reggie's office. At some point during the escalation process, the issue will become so crucial, so dramatic that it can no longer be ignored.

haha im hoping this is sarcasm..

i mean, i support gay relationships being added. but i dont really mind if they arent, i think a whole campaign is over the top.

zroid

Banned
My gut reaction to this was it's obviously not going to change anything about Tomodachi Life, a game whose development was finished more than a year ago. So while I appreciated the effort, it didn't seem worth getting involved in personally.

But after reading the OP and some of the posts in this thread, I feel the opposite. Even if nothing will change about this game in particular, I think it would be irresponsible not to ensure Nintendo knows this is something which is important to their customers. Who knows, maybe we'll have an impact on the next Tomodachi game.

jgminto

I think it would be cool if they added it to the game. It's not a big thing but it would help people, myself included to have a better experience with the game. Importing my boyfriend's Mii and seeing what silly stuff happens would be pretty fun.

I'd also be down with homosexual relationships in Fire Emblem. I don't really see the reason not to other than the risk of upsetting a few butthurt straight dudes.

Tyeforce

Tweeted the new video. When the FB post goes up, we'll share that one via our FB. Hopefully staggering the posts should give it a bit more visibility.
Thanks again!! The Facebook video actually just finished processing, but I agree, staggered posts would be best. I'm not going to be sharing the Facebook video on the other Miiquality pages until tomorrow. I do think that the Facebook video will the safer of the two videos to share, though, because I'm told that gaming videos don't usually stay up on Vimeo for long. I guess they don't allow video game footage.

Anyway, here's the Facebook video for anyone who's interested: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=394540890686884

Tyeforce

Game's done, maybe next time.
An update is possible. And even if that doesn't happen, it's still worth speaking up about now to convince Nintendo to add same-sex relationships in a sequel. No sense in waiting until a sequel is announced, because it may be too late by then!

The game looks pretty weird, I don't see how pregnant men would make it much weirder

Would the game's rating change if this was to happen? Are there any other E rates games with same sex relationships?

The more I think about this the more it bugs me. Rated E for not everyone.

Well, regardless, good luck to you for future games.

Technically it probably requires LESS than those for equal rights: literally just remove the gender flag as a factor for pairing.
That would make everyone a bisexual and result in straight guys asking other straight guys if they want to be their girlfriend.

A lot of code would be needed for things to actually function properly, along with plenty of altered lines because gay guys asking other gay guys if they'll be their girlfriend is still awkward.

That would make everyone a bisexual and result in straight guys asking other straight guys if they want to be their girlfriend.

A lot of code would be needed for things to actually function properly, along with plenty of altered lines because gay guys asking other gay guys if they'll be their girlfriend is still awkward.

Yep and, in my opinion, it would be a much worse solution. If it's added, it needs to be added properly.

fernoca

Great initiative. :)

While this won't do much in the current game, the more pressure they get the more they'll see there's actual interest.

If it does happen, wonder if they'll do a simple patch or a DLC.

I mean that's going to be a lot of code to write and the dev team is likely already split up considering it released in Japan a year ago. Would people object to that? Making it free would be a nice gesture sure, but it seems like it would actually be pretty costly. They'd they'd have to redo localization for the added text as well if they wanted to include the option for other countries. Possibly have to hire another developer to help out, include adoption options.

I'm not exactly sure how Nintendo would go about including this but it doesn't feel as if would be cheap at all. Then again people might rage at the fact that their equality is kept behind an additional paywall. And also might be the only way to circumvent the ratings problem if the ESRB somehow decides that it's not appropriate for an E rating. Is DLC rated separately from games?

While I'm for the fact that you could choose your relationship, I doubt it'll change a thing. Nintendo just doesn't listen. There were a lot of people who asked for region free. A lot. They refused. There were a lot asking for Xenoblade/The last Story/Pandora's Tower. They only listened for Xenoblade. Those where two easy things to do, yet they refused. So, I think that doing such a """sensitive""" (aka some conservatives are against thay for whatever reason) change won't happen.

But hey, can't hurt to try, so good luck and I'm in

An update is possible. And even if that doesn't happen, it's still worth speaking up about now to convince Nintendo to add same-sex relationships in a sequel. No sense in waiting until a sequel is announced, because it may be too late by then!
Very good point. I'm not very hopeful about this changing anything in Tomodachi Life, but if it's able to influence they're decisions in a sequel, then this will have definitely been worth the effort. Being bisexual myself, I'd love to see that happen and hope Nintendo at the very least gives this some real serious thought.

Anyway, retweeted the message and hoping for the best here. ^_^

Nintendo is probably too afraid of the controversy it would cause to make the necessary changes. It's a bit like complaining that Disney hasn't shown an LGBTQ couple in any of its films. They just got around to having a black princess a few years ago, think about that...

pelican

While I have no self-interest in this as I'm straight I hope this builds traction. Nintendo really need to shake off the traditional "nuclear family" values which shackle them down.

Times have changed and the world is a very different place. This and the recent Business Insider article regarding the sexism of Nintendo's "Girls Club" show Nintendo have some work to do.

Top Bottom