• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#Miiquality | Bringing same-sex relationships to Nintendo's Tomodachi series

wsippel

Banned
An update is possible. And even if that doesn't happen, it's still worth speaking up about now to convince Nintendo to add same-sex relationships in a sequel. No sense in waiting until a sequel is announced, because it may be too late by then!
As long as Miis don't have a sexual preference setting on a global level (set by the owner of the Mii during the creation process), which is never going to happen, it's as likely as hell freezing over. Not as an update, not in a sequel. If there's ever a sequel, it's more likely that they won't localize it or remove relationships altogether.

Nintendo is probably too afraid of the controversy it would cause to make the necessary changes. It's a bit like complaining that Disney hasn't shown an LGBTQ couple in any of its films. They just got around to having a black princess a few years ago, think about that...

They'll be releasing Bayonetta 2 this year. I think they're ready. ;)

That is too bad the Youtube video got flagged ... silly policies make it so easy to remove content someone doesn't agree with. At least Vimeo works.

What does Bayonetta 2 have to do with furthering LGBTQ equality in games? I'm a trans person and I don't see the connection.

Sorry. Just meant to say that Bayonetta 2 is about as far away from 'Disney values' as possible.

It's not like Nintendo is quite there with Disney anyway. Most of the translated Fire Emblem's have had more or less ambivalent same sex relationships, guys can wear skirts in AC etc...And they've never been the puritanical entity in Japan that they were in the US.

They'll just need a good push and they'll roll in the right direction. Eventually.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
That is too bad the Youtube video got flagged ... silly policies make it so easy to remove content someone doesn't agree with. At least Vimeo works.

Seriously?

Unfortunately that does show Nintendo would need balls of steel to do something like this. There would be "Nintendo are teaching our kids to be gay!!!!1!!!111" articles from idiots everywhere.

Harpuia

Would changing your Mii's gender to the opposite sex work? In Mii Maker it just changes your shirt to a dress, and since Tomodachi Life lets you wear different outfits I assume that wouldn't matter anyway.

It's the sentiment that allowing the option to label yourself as gay or not gay that's more important about this movement I feel.

It'd be pretty neat if Nintendo could do something like this, especially since Mother 3 has somewhat set a kind of precedent with showing a level of comfort-ability with issues such as being transgender. But yeah as some have said, the game's done. And it'd be rather weird if they added the "gay-relationship-premium DLC" or patch update denoting a change like that.

Marcel

Sorry. Just meant to say that Bayonetta 2 is about as far away from 'Disney values' as possible.

It's not like Nintendo is quite there with Disney anyway. Most of the translated Fire Emblem's have had more or less ambivalent same sex relationships, guys can wear skirts in AC etc...And they've never been the puritanical entity in Japan that they were in the US.

They'll just need a good push and they'll roll in the right direction. Eventually.

I see where you're coming from but Nintendo is not really a "roller", as you implied. They usually drag their feet on any modernization issue and only make changes when they are basically hit in the face by market forces. This is not limited to just social issues (not reporting conflict minerals, internal audits of working conditions only as opposed to external ones) but also on their hardware (account systems, online integration) as well.

Joqu

Just wanted to show my support here. You're awesome, Tye!

I'll help with spreading the word on Tumblr but my blog isn't exactly popular... Still, it won't hurt to try~

I see where you're coming from but Nintendo is not really a "roller", as you implied. They usually drag their feet on any modernization issue and only make changes when they are basically hit in the face by market forces. This is not limited to just social issues (not reporting conflict minerals, internal audits of working conditions only as opposed to external ones) but also on their hardware (account systems, online integration) as well.

True, just saying that in this case, 'the rock may not be as far away from the decline' as people might think.

I don't believe NCL would be very strongly opposed to having LGBTIQ representation in games like Tomodachi Life (at least in the Western versions of the game). Most likely the possibility never even occured to them, LGBTIQ rights hardly 'being a thing' in Japan.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Nintendo is probably too afraid of the controversy it would cause to make the necessary changes. It's a bit like complaining that Disney hasn't shown an LGBTQ couple in any of its films. They just got around to having a black princess a few years ago, think about that...

Disney, especially through it's Parks division, has been one of the strongest corporate supporters of legal benefits for same-sex partners and legal marriage for same-sex partners. Additionally they have depicted LBGT relationships on TV (both on Disney channel and through Disney-affiliated characters appearing on Once Upon a Time).

The issue with Nintendo wouldn't be NoA, it would be NCL as Japan has significantly more proscriptive gender roles and less of an organized social movement fighting for LBGT equality, dignity, and visibility.

JordanN

Banned
EA gets a lot of hate, but they're perhaps the [only] major publisher who actively supports gays.

It's pretty gross the rest of the industry hasn't caught on. Controversy be damned.

Marcel

EA gets a lot of hate, but they're perhaps the [only] major publisher who actively supports gays.

It's pretty gross the rest of the industry hasn't caught on. Controversy be damned.

I'm glad they're pointed forward on some social issues. A shame they're in the shit on a lot of other things pertaining to consumer relations, game stability, and talent acquisition.

Tyeforce

So, YouTube got back to me...
YouTube said:
Thank you for submitting your video appeal to YouTube.

After further review of the content, we've determined that your video does violate our Community Guidelines and have upheld our original decision. We appreciate your understanding.

Sincerely,

— The YouTube Team
What the hell?! =( This isn't fair at all... There's no reason why the video should have been taken down. They didn't even give a specific reason for why it was flagged! What can I do from here?! I don't believe I can submit another appeal... This really sucks. =/ I mean, I've got the video on Facebook and Vimeo for the time being, but neither of those are as ideal as YouTube for something like this.

Labrys

So, YouTube got back to me...

What the hell?! =( This isn't fair at all... There's no reason why the video should have been taken down. What can I do from here?! I don't believe I can submit another appeal... This really sucks. =/ I mean, I've got the video on Facebook and Vimeo for the time being, but neither of those are as ideal as YouTube for something like this.

perhaps replace the music and video? Using flipped image stills in place of the video could work and there's a lot of royalty free music. And you could link to the real video in the description/annotations.

Tyeforce

perhaps replace the music and video? Using flipped image stills in place of the video could work and there's a lot of royalty free music. And you could link to the real video in the description/annotations.
I don't understand why they would take the video down for that, though. I've never heard of YouTube taking down videos with Nintendo content in them, only disabling monetization for those videos. I suppose I could try to edit it and upload it again...but I think they can ban my account if I upload another video that gets flagged again. =/

lenovox1

I don't understand why they would take the video down for that, though. I've never heard of YouTube taking down videos with Nintendo content in them, only disabling monetization for those videos. I suppose I could try to edit it and upload it again...but I think they can ban my account if I upload another video that gets flagged again. =/

It's three strikes, I believe. But you'd probably be playing with fire, and I'd probably create a new account just for this movement.

Kazerei

Banned
Ask for clarification about which guidelines were violated. There's plenty of pro-LGBTQ videos on Youtube so I don't think that's the problem. It could be because of the Nintendo Direct footage you included. Posting your own footage of you playing a Nintendo game is one thing, but copying is another thing.

Dragon

Banned

Having worked for Disney for a short time a year or so ago, they at least provide benefits for LGBT couples in a way few other US companies do.

Tyeforce

Ask for clarification about which guidelines were violated. There's plenty of pro-LGBTQ videos on Youtube so I don't think that's the problem. It could be because of the Nintendo Direct footage you included. Posting your own footage of you playing a Nintendo game is one thing, but copying is another thing.
I would ask but there doesn't seem to be any way to contact YouTube directly about this. If anyone knows of any kind of contact form that I can use or anything that would be great.

It's three strikes, I believe. But you'd probably be playing with fire, and I'd probably create a new account just for this movement.
I'll probably end up trying this...

Robin64

Sounds like a click bait article in the making

Same sex marriage a "glitch" according to Nintendo.

It was definitely a glitch because it would lead to bad things happening to your save file. Same sex marriage was only one aspect of the bigger picture.

Though wanting it properly implemented for a patch or a sequel is definitely not asking too much.

EmSeta

Huh, you can have romantic relationships in this game? Well, then of course there should be some sort of same sex support.

Though I can already hear the American conservative propaganda machine warming up...

Not to be mean but you're seriously thinking a company like Nintendo will do this? Of all the companies in the world? They censored a fucking non-naked butt on Fire Emblem, of all things. I support this for people who is interested, but again, is Nintendo. My best wishes and I hope you can get something out of this.

Not to be mean but you're seriously thinking a company like Nintendo will do this? Of all the companies in the world? They censored a fucking non-naked butt on Fire Emblem, of all things. I support this for people who is interested, but again, is Nintendo. My best wishes and I hope you can get something out of this.

The so-called sensoring was most likely just them wanting a certain age rating for FE. If they're willing to release Bayonetta 2 worldwide, I doubt showing a bit of ass is a problem for them.

Sounds like a great idea! As ridiculous and playful as the game seems, it seems really silly to not allow same-sex relationships. Let people play it how they want! (And if it leads to weird moments like men having babies, who cares? Make same-sex a toggle in the options at the start of the game so if people want to avoid those strange glitches, they have the option.)

The thing is, it'd be a relatively easy thing to add in, and it would make a lot of people much more excited for the game, as well as being a great way to spread the word about the game. The biggest piece of work they'd have to do is change it from a female Mii being pregnant, to them adopting a kid or something.

Labrys

No way this is going to happen. Would cause a huge uproar.

Why do people keep saying this?

The Sims has been out for over 13 years with 3 different main series entries, each one allowing same sex relationships and there has been little or none revolting or uproar over it. This game is essential Mii Sims so I see no reason why it'd be such a big deal.

Shiggy

Even if it does, who cares? This isn't for the people who would be offended by allowing same-sex couples in the game so why should they care?

It's a game aimed at children. I wouldn't mind, I have no problem with homosexuality. Unfortunately, a lot of less educated people do, and as repeatedly shown they are very vocal, especially when their children are confronted with this.

Foffy

Banned
Hey man, how do you see out of your right eye? Your hair gets in the way!

I love the message. The game looks to be absolutely uninteresting to myself because those sorts of games are not my kind of jazz, but your arguments about the game ring reasonable to my ears. I would at least hope for a response from Nintendo.

Why do people keep saying this?

The Sims has been out for over 13 years with 3 different main series entries, each one allowing same sex relationships and there has been little or none revolting or uproar over it. This game is essential Mii Sims so I see no reason why it'd be such a big deal.

It's because Sims isn't generally seen as something for kids, so crazy parents don't pay it any mind. When Nintendo puts out a product, it's expected to be only the most wholesome entertainment, like a Disney movie (Disney may a big proponent of LGBT rights, but they still probably wouldn't be seen directly referring to same-sex marriage in one of their movies). There would definitely be backlash with it.

Regardless, I hope Nintendo hears you out, OP.

Oppo

I dunno, Microsoft and Ubisoft have pretty good policies too.

Tyeforce

Hey man, how do you see out of your right eye? Your hair gets in the way!
I actually didn't even notice that my hair was covering my eye like that until after I had finished recording. XD

Thanks again for your support, everyone!! I truly appreciate everyone's efforts and it makes me so happy to see that so many other people are in support of this movement!

Finally watched the video. Very well done! I feel like NoA is paying attention more and more to this kind of speaking about through social media, so it's a good strategy to try and right this wrong.

Tyeforce, you should tweet the first tweet again (which nicely summarizes the movement), but with the new Vimeo link instead so it's easily retweetable; then you've totally got my retweet. (That's a lot of tweet in one sentence...)

Robin64

It's a game aimed at children. I wouldn't mind, I have no problem with homosexuality. Unfortunately, a lot of less educated people do, and as repeatedly shown they are very vocal, especially when their children are confronted with this.

People honestly think they are protecting their kids and it's really difficult to argue with parenting that stems from that desire. While I would personally have no problem with my kids seeing this aspect of the world, I can respect that many do, even if I don't like it. And it's going to take a while for attitudes to change.

Also.

dgbUvyl.gif

Tyeforce

Finally watched the video. Very well done! I feel like NoA is paying attention more and more to this kind of speaking about through social media, so it's a good strategy to try and right this wrong.

Tyeforce, you should tweet the first tweet again (which nicely summarizes the movement), but with the new Vimeo link instead so it's easily retweetable; then you've totally got my retweet. (That's a lot of tweet in one sentence...)
Thank you! =)

Done! https://twitter.com/Miiquality/status/461243278336458752

Even if it does, who cares? This isn't for the people who would be offended by allowing same-sex couples in the game so why should they care?

honest response and the fact of the matter. People care, even people who would not have cared otherwise and have no business caring would care, Nintendo more than likely will not budge on this, and will opt not to bow to pressure to change their "world".

Top Bottom