• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#Miiquality | Bringing same-sex relationships to Nintendo's Tomodachi series

Sai-kun

Banned
At what point should a child start thinking being sexual? There is a difference between saying you want to fall in love with someone and have a kid and deciding what gender you're attracted to. At what age it's alright to talk about sex to children at all? This has been a huge thing in schools, where parents don't like when they have sex-ed. And in those cases, which usually take place in middle to high school, I would say, the parent's should've said something.

But I don't see how a corporate product aimed at entertaining my child of under 7 or so should make them ask what they're attracted to. Maybe it will anyways, and I'll deal with that. But I think TL does a noble job of straddling that line. It allows you to put whatever Mii you want in whatever role you want, without asking specifically if they're gay.

Being not-straight doesn't imply anything about sex.

Edit: Rather, there is more to being not-straight than just what you're sexually attracted to.

Labrys

-_- welcome to reality: a toy company has a conservative relative to sexual issues. NO WAY.

Welcome to reality: It's not the 1950's. Kids things can be non "conservative", maybe if they start displaying things that aren't cisheterosexual in a better life people won't be made fun of.

Marcel

At what point should a child start thinking being sexual? There is a difference between saying you want to fall in love with someone and have a kid and deciding what gender you're attracted to. At what age it's alright to talk about sex to children at all? This has been a huge thing in schools, where parents don't like when they have sex-ed. And in those cases, which usually take place in middle to high school, I would say, the parent's should've said something.

But I don't see how a corporate product aimed at entertaining my child of under 7 or so should make them ask what they're attracted to. Maybe it will anyways, and I'll deal with that. But I think TL does a noble job of straddling that line. It allows you to put whatever Mii you want in whatever role you want, without asking specifically if they're gay.

I realized I was gay at 8 years old. It was not motivated by some big event. It just kind of...happened? I may not have been able to put adult reasoning to those feelings at the time but I know now that's when it happened. I lived in a mixed-up gender role for a long time as a result. I kind of wish I had something in that time to help my kid mind make sense of it all. We identify and link our lives to media and entertainment and at that time, there was little to nothing to help me understand my feelings.

And I can't stress this enough: gay has nothing to do with physical factors of sex or sexual deviancy.

Wouldn't it be better to include something that accepting of everyone rather than leave someone out arbitrarily? I hope you think about this outside the target-setting behavior that you continually engage in.

kirblar

Dunno man, I'm see a lot of young people being hardcore of their ideology.
Sure, but they're going to be outnumbered eventually in the long term.
And I can't stress this enough: gay has nothing to do with physical factors of sex
Er... it has everything to do with who you're physically attracted to, hence why puberty suddenly hits and the confusion sets in?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm focusing on the relationship aspect of it (as it is the main chunk of the game), but if there are some other non-inclusive aspects of the game I'm willing to be a stickler on them too. The game is trash to me and I'm willing to point out any flaws.

Also, lol at the guy saying he doesn't want his kid questioning sexuality/anything. It's probably better for children to question stuff like that earlier in life so they don't beat themselves up for being "abnormal" when they're older.

What about consensual polyamory or polygamy? There are all sorts of relationship types that are not supported.

Where are the options for wedding ceremonies? I could see some people being offended if their wedding ceremony style of choice is "excluded."

Labrys

What about consensual polyamory or polygamy? There are all sorts of relationship types that are not supported.

Where are the options for wedding ceremonies? I could see some people being offended if their wedding ceremony style of choice is "excluded."

No idea on weddings, but hey you have a point on polyamory. Less common then homo/bisexuality in my experience but it's still a thing.

atr0cious

I think the disconnect I have here is that you're not really expounding on why knowledge of the existence of homosexuals uniquely provokes introspection about sexual orientation as opposed to the knowledge of the existence of heterosexuals.

When kids are young, they like who they like. Yes boys think girls have cuties and what not, but kids usually care more about the person, not lables or terms. Me asking a 5 year old if they gay or not, can drastically change who they are going forward. I would rather they remain innocent for a little longer and learn to love people for who they are, before they are forced into the world of black and white where you are either right or wrong, gay or straight.

I live in the SF Bay Area, so if my kid grows up gay, he won't have to deal with any social stigma like some in the south or elsewhere would. But I also don't want him to think that being gay is a choice he has to make.

I realized I was gay at 8 years old. It was not motivated by some big event. It just kind of...happened? I may not have been able to put adult reasoning to those feelings at the time but I know now that's when it happened. I lived in a mixed-up gender role for a long time as a result. I kind of wish I had something in that time to help my kid mind make sense of it all. We identify and link our lives to media and entertainment and at that time, there was little to nothing to help me understand my feelings.

And I can't stress this enough: gay has nothing to do with physical factors of sex or sexual deviancy.

Wouldn't it be better to include something that accepted everyone rather than leave someone out arbitrarily? I hope you think about this outside the target-setting behavior that you continually engage in.

Like I said, I'm all for that. I want my kid to find themselves like you did. I don't want outside social pressures in the form of a child's toy forming that. It's not like this is a thread for Persona or Mass Effect. This is a game aimed at young kids.

I feel like I didn't really express myself as clearly as I would've liked to earlier, so I'm going to clarify a few things. If you don't want to buy the game because you feel that not being properly represented makes the game less enjoyable for you on a personal level, you are both within your rights and honestly should not buy the game. When I was talking about boycotting, I was referring to the people who would still enjoy it, but think they're making a point by not buying the game. The problem with that is that isn't a good way for your point to be heard and understood. Another issue I have is not that people are complaining, but the way certain people are doing so. It's fine to be upset, but venting out in frustration by being nasty and name calling never gets anything accomplished. Even if you're upset, it's far more productive to complain in a more civilized manner that appeals to the group you are trying to persuade. I also think people are getting too caught up in a PR response. I'm not sure the PR people or NoA as a whole has the right to determine corporate policy towards these things, and it seems like Nintendo in general has a corporate policy of staying away from these issues. You can argue that's an issue in and of itself in this case, but if you're the PR guy addressing this issue you might not have the power to make that judgement and give a more satisfying answer. It's possible if this got asked to someone like Iwata you'd get a better answer, but you have to remember that these PR guys aren't really that high up and they might have risked their job if they went against corporate policy without explicit permission which they may not have had the time to get. I'm sure this is being brought up to people higher up, but those people are busy and may not have even seen that much of this yet, especially if the permission needed to come from the Japanese side of things

Wouldn't it be better to include something that accepted everyone rather than leave someone out arbitrarily? I hope you think about this outside the target-setting behavior that you continually engage in.

it's literally impossible to "accept" everyone in a videogame.

Sure, but they're going to be outnumbered eventually in the long term.

I think you are trying to hard to justify "you should not complain. Wait until dead."

Social mobility is not as simple as you describe specially when the Japanese age demographic is telling you another story.

Sai-kun

Banned
I would rather they remain innocent for a little longer and learn to love people for who they are, before they are forced into the world of black and white where you are either right or wrong, gay or straight.

The beautiful part of reality is that sexuality is about as far from black and white as you can get. It's seriously a rainbow spectrum.

Marcel

Like I said, I'm all for that. I want my kid to find themselves like you did. I don't want outside social pressures in the form of a child's toy forming that.

Outside pressure always exist so good luck avoiding them, especially ones that promote "normal" gender roles. You do know that toys are marketed and sold on a toxic gendered basis, right?

Kazerei

Banned
When kids are young, they like who they like. Yes boys think girls have cuties and what not, but kids usually care more about the person, not lables or terms. Me asking a 5 year old if they gay or not, can drastically change who they are going forward. I would rather they remain innocent for a little longer and learn to love people for who they are, before they are forced into the world of black and white where you are either right or wrong, gay or straight.

I live in the SF Bay Area, so if my kid grows up gay, he won't have to deal with any social stigma like some in the south or elsewhere would. But I also don't want him to think that being gay is a choice he has to make.

Tomodachi Life already features romance, marriage, and having babies. Are you concerned about exposing your kids to those aspects as well?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The beautiful part of reality is that sexuality is about as far from black and white as you can get. It's seriously a rainbow spectrum.

Pretty tough when you have to code a game.

Like I said, I'm all for that. I want my kid to find themselves like you did. I don't want outside social pressures in the form of a child's toy forming that. It's not like this is a thread for Persona or Mass Effect. This is a game aimed at young kids.

There's this fundamental disconnect between what you believe you're arguing against and what people are actually saying.

atr0cious

Who is talking about sex?

I don't understand why you think allowing someone to form a straight relationship is not "asking what they're attracted to" but allowing someone to form a gay relationship is.

I'm against the labels. You can put what ever mii's in whatever roles you like. I'm saying there is a difference between have them decide if they're girl or boy and straight and gay.

Holmes

If it's a choice between disappointing a small portion of the population and losing a few Tomodachi Life sales or potentially tarnishing their squeaky clean image which is basically their bread and butter, we should already know how it's going to turn out.
Well if that's true and I'm naive to it, then what a sad world it is that my "lifestyle" is enough to tarnish a company's "squeaky clean" reputation.

I live in the SF Bay Area, so if my kid grows up gay, he won't have to deal with any social stigma like some in the south or elsewhere would.
In regards to the bolded, why would you feel compelled to ask that question? You're still not elucidating why knowing gay people exist suddenly forces some sort of existential crisis on a child. I understand that seeing two men or two women showing each other affection might be mildly confusing to a child that's only used to seeing a man and a woman doing so, but I really, really don't understand why you think this forces confronting decisions that are best left until later in life.

But I also don't want him to think that being gay is a choice he has to make.
What does this even mean?

I would rather they remain innocent for a little longer and learn to love people for who they are, before they are forced into the world of black and white where you are either right or wrong, gay or straight.

But you are doing precisely that. You are the one that make it "something for adults".

jorgeton

But this game contains heterosexual romantic relationships. You can even have kids in it IIRC. The social pressures already exist within this game, gay relationships or not. It's normalizing boy+girl relationships, when we all know that not everyone is attracted to the opposite sex. I hear what you're saying, but there is a degree of cognitive dissonance to your posts that is confusing me.

Marcel

But this game contains heterosexual romantic relationships. You can even have kids in it IIRC. The social pressures already exist within this game, gay relationships or not. It's normalizing boy+girl relationships, when we all know that not everyone is attracted to the opposite sex. I hear what you're saying, but there is a degree of cognitive dissonance to your posts that is confusing me.

That's what I'm getting too. I'm not always sure how to tackle atr0cious' points when they are all so meandering from one topic to another, usually in service to confirming his own arguments about how a toy shouldn't convey a gay agenda or something (even though the majority of toys reinforce harmful stereotypes about "normal" gender roles).

I hope this pulls through. I do not own any nintendo products, but if you are going to offer marriage options whilst having different gender or sex options, you better allow the obvious. This is the 21st century after all.

etrain911

No idea on weddings, but hey you have a point on polyamory. Less common then homo/bisexuality in my experience but it's still a thing.

I've just kind of gotten used to polyamory not being in games. :( It makes me sad that games that include relationships generally force you to pick one, although I do like the way that P3 and Persona 4 (without the Valentine's Day event in Golden) handled in-game relationships. Actually, having to pick romance options in games kind of helped me realize that I wasn't into monogamy. But, that's another story/possible premise for a Patricia Hernandez article.

On topic, that's kind of shameful of Nintendo. I don't understand parents who ask "but what about our kids?" We're living in a time where cis-gendered heterosexuals don't have the privilege of completely ignoring the gender and sexuality spectrum anymore and pretending like it doesn't exist or is something to be ashamed of.

atr0cious

In regards to the bolded, why would you feel compelled to ask that question? You're still not elucidating why knowing gay people exist suddenly forces some sort of existential crisis on a child. I understand that seeing two men or two women showing each other affection might be mildly confusing to a child that's only used to seeing a man and a woman doing so, but I really, really don't understand why you think this forces confronting decisions that are best left until later in life.

What does this even mean?

Kids don't care about labels, until they're told to. If a gay couple walks by, especially in this day and age, it's no different to them than a straight couple. Asking a child who do they choose to have sex with in general, gay or straight, is a bigger stretch than who they like specifically, bob or larry. TL is about putting your friends in a game and seeing them do stuff they wouldn't do in life. Why do they need a sexuality tag on top of who they are?

kirblar

I think you are trying to hard to justify "you should not complain. Wait until dead."

Social mobility is not as simple as you describe specially when the Japanese age demographic is telling you another story.
What I'm saying is that expecting a game not to reflect the current state of affairs in its primary market is expecting blood from a stone. It's a simulation. It's a reflection of reality. You absolutely can do things to push towards making the reality a better place for the that the simulation to reflect. And those things can help push the margins forward and make the "flip" in societal values happen a little sooner than it would without them.

But it's a complete game that hasn't been touched in years and is only having a translation/localization applied. This isn't something as simple as altering a sprite. Focus on the sequel. Focus on the real world. Just don't focus on something that's not going to occur.

I'm not sure its possible to decide what sexual orientation you are before you hit puberty, but maybe I am wrong. For example, in 4th grade I had a big crush on a boy. Then puberty hit, and OMG girls. Today I'm very much straight and just a little bi-curious. Could just be me though.

I'm sure there are parents out there who are not homophobic per se yet they are afraid of their children being influenced by anything depicting gay relationships because it is not clear to them if homosexuality is 100% genetics/DNA or perhaps partly influenced by environmental factors. These parents probably want natural born grandchildren and a continuation of their genetic line, so they therefore view any exposure of their children to homosexuality as a threat to that, even if the parents themselves might have zero problems with other people being gay, or with gay marriage, etc. Even among parents convinced that sexual preference is 100% genetic, I think fear is a strong motivator. Especially if they only have one child.

So, Nintendo is on the fence or neutral because THEY fear that if they portrayed this in their games which they are marketing as being for children, parents will not buy the game out of their own fears, unfounded or otherwise. And may in turn decide to boycott all Nintendo games for their children.

It may be sad, but it's reality.

That's what I'm getting too. I'm not always sure how to tackle atr0cious' points when they are all so meandering from one topic to another, usually in service to confirming his own arguments about how a toy shouldn't convey a gay agenda or something (even though the majority of toys reinforce harmful stereotypes about "normal" gender roles).

The ignore function is awesome. The only issue is all the quoting but it's easy enough to skip those messages.

Kids don't care about labels, until they're told to. If a gay couple walks by, especially in this day and age, it's no different to them than a straight couple. Asking a child who do they choose to have sex with in general, gay or straight, is a bigger stretch than who they like specifically, bob or larry. TL is about putting your friends in a game and seeing them do stuff they wouldn't do in life. Why do they need a sexuality tag on top of who they are?

"Is normal but is not normal".

OK, you're approaching this specifically from the mindset of how it would have to be handled in the game. There are two easy fixes for this. One, don't ask the question bluntly. Two, default to heterosexual but have an option somewhere that isn't in your face to switch to homosexual.

What I'm saying is that expecting a game not to reflect the current state of affairs in its primary market is expecting blood from a stone. It's a simulation. It's a reflection of reality. You absolutely can do things to push towards making the reality a better place for the that the simulation to reflect. And those things can help push the margins forward and make the "flip" in societal values happen a little sooner than it would without them.

But it's a complete game that hasn't been touched in years and is only having a translation/localization applied. This isn't something as simple as altering a sprite. Focus on the sequel. Focus on the real world. Just don't focus on something that's not going to occur.

Your concern is noted. Next?

stilgar

Welcome to reality: It's not the 1950's. Kids things can be non "conservative", maybe if they start displaying things that aren't cisheterosexual in a better life people won't be made fun of.

Suuuure. You call me when Mattel makes a gay Barbie.

Kazerei

Banned

Umm, the Miis do some weird fun things and have crazy lucid dreams in this game. It's really not a reflection of reality. You don't have to set your Mii to work for 8 hours a day in order to make money. I'm not sure why the state of gay marriage in the real world should limit a fantasy world. It's a freaking video game.

The fun thing is that many people noted that was probably the most realistic solution was appearing in the sequel, including the OP.

Even as salty as I am about it, I realize that too. I'm fascinated by these people who feel that they need to come in here and tell us that over and over again, as if that accomplishes anything. YES, I know they're thinking with their wallet. YES, I know that people would have their panties in a twist if Nintendo included this stuff in the game. NO, I will not shut up about it because of either of those reasons.

atr0cious

OK, you're approaching this specifically from the mindset of how it would have to be handled in the game. There are two easy fixes for this. One, don't ask the question bluntly. Two, default to heterosexual but have an option somewhere that isn't in your face to switch to homosexual.

I thought they did that already with the way they handed it. You can put males as females and vice versa. I don't know how subtly you can ask about which way they swing. And it will push the rating, because of the sexuality mention, which is another sad facet of reality, which means some kids wouldn't be allowed to play it now. Taking out the mechanic is the only thing I can see that is cheap enough for them to do, but then that hurts everyone.

Labrys

Suuuure. You call me when Mattel makes a gay Barbie.

Wow, nice segue there, you sure got me!

Really though, it'd be nice for them to do that. I'm sure many a kid who's gay/questioning their sexuality would appreciate having something like that for them.

I thought they did that already with the way they handed it. You can put males as females and vice versa. I don't know how subtly you can ask about which way they swing. And it will push the rating, because of the sexuality mention, which is another sad facet of reality, which means some kids wouldn't be allowed to play it now. Taking out the mechanic is the only thing I can see that is cheap enough for them to do, but then that hurts everyone.

HAHAHA OH WOW DUDE, OH WOW.

NimbusD

Glad that this is getting good press! I think a lot of us know that the activism most likely falls on def ears at Nintendo, but the amount of attention this is getting is actually pretty surprising and a positive development. That part is the real success, not some dumb game that people will forget about in a year (not that they shouldnt patch the game).

APF

If you're going to include romantic relationships and childbirth, you have already opened the door to discussions about sex. I'm not sure how allowing same-sex relationships makes that more complicated or adds some enormous trauma to young children, unless you're somehow arguing that heteronormativity is "innocent" or "neutral." If so I think society is going to leave you behind soon, if it hasn't largely already.

Marcel

If you're going to include romantic relationships and childbirth, you have already opened the door to discussions about sex. I'm not sure how allowing same-sex relationships makes that more complicated or adds some enormous trauma to young children, unless you're somehow arguing that heteronormativity is "innocent" or "neutral." If so I think society is going to leave you behind soon, if it hasn't largely already.

Pretty much. I'm really puzzled at some of the circular and flawed logic that some people take in defending Nintendo on this issue.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

You know full well the Internet would burn down Nintendo if they included the option but defaulted (showed preference) to the other. That would be worse than how they are handling it now.

"OH SO NINTENDO IS IMPLYING HOMOSEXUALITY IS A CHOICE AND NOT NORMAL?! GET 'EM!"

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I think the #Miiquality initiative is a great one, kudos OP. One should always be represented regardless of their sexual preference.

Nonetheless, I'm torn.

Tomodachi Life's target audience are middle school children. As such, representing the LGBT community was a discussion the developers never had to begin with, as communicated by Nintendo early on.

Furthermore, how could one sell a product marketed to middle school children if the game is rated PG13 - May contain same-sex relationships and not General for All Audiences. Would the average parent purchase such a game with that banner at the forefront for their children? I'm not sure honestly.

In the end, I understand both Nintendo's stance and yours and wish a middle ground could be found to please both parties :(

Marcel

You know full well the Internet would burn down Nintendo if they included the option but defaulted (showed preference) to the other. That would be worse than how they are handling it now.

"OH SO NINTENDO IS IMPLYING HOMOSEXUALITY IS A CHOICE AND NOT NORMAL?! GET 'EM!"

Yes, because every person who is progressive is also a petty rabble-rouser just looking to heap shit on anything and everything. Get over yourself and your actually petty assumptions.

Karkador

Banned
Furthermore, how could one sell a product marketed to middle school children if the game is rated PG13 - May contain same-sex relationships and not General for All Audiences. Would the average parent purchase such a game with that banner at the forefront for their children? I'm not sure honestly.

In the end, I understand both Nintendo's stance and yours and wish a middle ground could be found to please both parties :(

At that point, you then take it up with the ESRB for labeling same-sex relationships like a hazard

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think the #Miiquality initiative is a great one, kudos OP. One should always be represented regardless of their sexual preference.

Nonetheless, I'm torn.

Tomodachi Life's target audience are middle school children. As such, representing the LGBT community was a discussion the developers never had to begin with, as communicated by Nintendo early on.

I don't think there can be a middle ground, honestly. Either people are going to embrace homosexuality or be repulsed by it.

Nintendo can choose to either fully embrace it and give it equal treatment as heterosexuality or ignore it. Any kind of half measure or "option" would have them torn apart by both sides.

Yes, because every person who is progressive is also a petty rabble-rouser just looking to heap shit on anything and everything. Get over yourself and your actually petty assumptions.

Oh, come on. Not 'every person, but look at how this issue has exploded.

You have a large number of people saying Nintendo's failure to include homosexual relationships is intentional exclusion. The worst will always be assumed.

Well, I think it'd be a progressive step. I'm not saying some wouldn't criticize it as well, but I'm just stating that from a design standpoint, I can understand why it would be completely outside the comfort zone of a conservative Japanese company that's developing games and perceiving children to be their target audience to not want prompt the question of "are you romantically interested in boys or girls?" to, say, a six-year-old. However, I also don't think it behooves us to state that the socially responsible thing to do is simply not allot for it at all, only allow heterosexual relationships and call it a day. If that's the case, then it's up to creative types to come up with creative solutions to promote inclusiveness.

Top Bottom