• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miitomo |OT| A new way of COMMUnication

Javier

So I know Miitomo builds its Friends List over Twitter, but does it also detect your Facebook friends and Phone Contacts?

I tried installing the APK but the game just gives me a black screen on startup and then crashes (or at least closes itself).
I'm on Android 5.0.

Am I the only one with that problem?

Also tried getting the app on my iPad with my Japanese account, but for some stupid reason I can't log into that one anymore (probably Apple reasons, grrrr)

ryushe

Just like Tomodachi Collection before it, I'm having a surprising amount of fun with this thing and I just don't know why.

@geekwithswagg is the twitter handle. Could use more people in my friends list.

aechris

Anyone know what the coin limit is per day? You get some for responding and some for liking, some for answering, but is there a list somewhere I can check off each day?

So this only builds up friend list via Twitter or FB? What if you don't really use either, are you stuck? Will it not use your friend list from NNID, for example?

Thank you for unearthing this!

This is actually quite shocking given how Nintendo has always prided itself on making things using their own toolkits, engines and APIs, or writing low level physics engines for even the user interface. So a big change in developer culture must have happened to make sure this app exists.

I'm guessing they've used other tech because they are targeting "mobile" as one single platform, spanning iOS 7, iOS 8 and iOS 9 and Android 4.1 through to 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 5 and 6, which is what Square Enix did when deciding to adopt Unity for all future games that get released across iOS, Android, Vita and PC.

But yeah, the main difference is that Nintendo has able to maintain a great user experience with Miitomo, even if the underlying code isn't "pure" Nintendo code. Though I have noticed stuttering when scrolling through the UI at times -- probably garbage collection...
Well it seems CocosBuilder (aka SpriteBuildet) is not really maintained very well any more. So I'd bet Nintendo only use it for a small amount of stuff. They could have also added a whole bunch of extensions to it. Maybe they're using a special DeNA version of it? Who knows. I think it's a safe bet that they still mainly use their own tools.

jax

Banned
Ugh. I want to bite the bullet but I just know how notoriously annoying Nintendo is when it comes to region stuff. If it's not announced at the Apple event tomorrow or released by next week I'll make a JP App Store account and cross my fingers everything doesn't get erased when the actual US version drops.

Kouriozan

Changed one of my answer 2 times and it keeps giving me money.
Can be a quick way to cap out your answer/comment daily coins.

kiri

Changed one of my answer 2 times and it keeps giving me money.
Can be a quick way to cap out your answer/comment daily coins.

Testing now.

EDIT: You can indeed get the 150 coins (15 coins x 10 changes) by editing a single answer. The submission history is saved on the right.

-STEALTH EDIT1.5- I think there is more going on here with answering and coins but I'll need to check tomorrow once Japan rolls over to Tuesday (Oh and it runs on JST obviously)

2nd EDIT: To gain the Miitomo Points for 3 answers per day, you DO need to answer 3 distinct questions.

kiri

Been testing wardrobe changes - though they might be point-rewarded every hour 3 hours but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Furthermore, liking, commenting and answering your own questions doesn't always seem to generate personality points - it seems to be sporadic

SOR5

Testing now.

EDIT: You can indeed get the 150 coins (15 coins x 10 changes) by editing a single answer. The submission history is saved on the right.

2nd EDIT: To gain the Miitomo Points for 3 answers per day, you DO need to answer 3 distinct questions.

Hohoho im gonna be farming my coins

Cellsai

My account is @CellsaiJP . I'd be most obliged if you added me to the Twitter list :)

The game is pretty cute so far, but man is it weird how you can't add friends via their Nintendo IDs.

Also your style points increase by just trying items on in the shop, you don't need to buy/own the pieces of clothing.

That's a certainty to get fixed in an update down-the-line.

kiri

Also your style points increase by just trying items on in the shop, you don't need to buy/own the pieces of clothing.

That's a certainty to get fixed in an update down-the-line.

I played around with that - I could only make my point level increase by 5 points before it stopped.

We need to gather more info on this.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It was fun for a couple of days, but now it starts to get a bit boring. It's very light in content and getting answers to the same questions from more people lasts as it lasts. Not totally bored yet, but not far from it.

kubus

Whew, twitter list is updated again.

It was fun for a couple of days, but now it starts to get a bit boring. It's very light in content and getting answers to the same questions from more people lasts as it lasts. Not totally bored yet, but not far from it.
Yeah, I can see it getting boring fast. It would be nice if they could tweak the dropping minigame so it isn't ridiculously hard to get a prize. Getting coins also takes way too long. I've decided not to play too much now so I don't get burned out easily when the app launches worldwide.

-Horizon-

Ugh. I want to bite the bullet but I just know how notoriously annoying Nintendo is when it comes to region stuff. If it's not announced at the Apple event tomorrow or released by next week I'll make a JP App Store account and cross my fingers everything doesn't get erased when the actual US version drops.
I'm willing to wait, no rush to playing more games lol.

This is probably obvious, but can you send or gift people clothing?

I noticed that in my closet that a shirt is 1/1 and when I wear it it becomes 0/1. Does that mean I can repeat purchases? Or is it just for different colors?

Yaranaika

I tried installing the APK but the game just gives me a black screen on startup and then crashes (or at least closes itself).
I'm on Android 5.0.

Am I the only one with that problem?

Also tried getting the app on my iPad with my Japanese account, but for some stupid reason I can't log into that one anymore (probably Apple reasons, grrrr)
It doesn't work on rooted devices. You'll have to unroot if you want to play, unfortunately.

I played around with that - I could only make my point level increase by 5 points before it stopped.

We need to gather more info on this.

Ahh you're right. I guess it's intentional as you're supposed to try on the new items in the shop each day...?

Maybe NCL should consider adding the MiiPlaza games to Miitomo...

Somebody noted that the tickets are somewhat generically called Game Tickets which suggests they'll be used for further games in the future. Hopefully.
Having a Mii come to your house and say 'try and beat my high score' and then a game launches, which would perhaps include that Mii's ghost data or something, would be cool.

watershed

Banned
Does anyone think this will launch in NA tomorrow? I really want to try this out and see who on my facebook and twitter I can (or want to) connect miis with.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Does anyone think this will launch in NA tomorrow? I really want to try this out and see who on my facebook and twitter I can (or want to) connect miis with.

If it's not tomorrow, it should still be quite soon. Quoting myself from yesterday

Just tried a bit on my Android tablet, a sort-of-early demo before the official Western launch. But I suppose that's not that far off, maybe even early next week. In fact, I just checked the ongoing themed games for clothing pieces in the Shop section: some of them will be over on March 27th, 16:59:59 in Italy (15:59:59 GMT). Now, this corresponds exactly to 23:59:59 in Japan starting from next Sunday. And the Japanese banner has 23:59:59 as the ending time (so, it's not a mere Japanese-to-Italian translation). IMHO, this means that they can't possibly launch it that far into next week, since they should allow users to play those games for enough days.

Goli

Though I'm still having fun I wish they'd update the drop mini game's clothes or add something to do OTHER than changing clothes and answering questions.

watershed

Banned
Though I'm still having fun I wish they'd update the drop mini game's clothes or add something to do OTHER than changing clothes and answering questions.

Yeah, Nintendo needs to make sure there is enough stuff to actually do, not just clothes to buy, or people will stop using it real quick. I get that the questions and communication are the main features, but even that can wear thin quickly if that's all there is to it.

If it's not tomorrow, it should still be quite soon. Quoting myself from yesterday

Sounds good.

Goli

As it is right now it's too in the middle between a social network and a game without having enough features to be either completely or competently be the middle ground between both. It has charm for sure, but I don't think that's enough for it to thrive.

At this point I'm checking when someone comments on something I said but not much more than that. I know I won't delete it till NNID linking is possible with NA accounts though.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah, I can see it getting boring fast. It would be nice if they could tweak the dropping minigame so it isn't ridiculously hard to get a prize. Getting coins also takes way too long. I've decided not to play too much now so I don't get burned out easily when the app launches worldwide.

I've got lucky today and got some clothes and some candies. I guess some other minigames would help though. I will just check it from time to time until it launches worldwide and link my Nintendo Account to it and I will see afterwards if there is something more to do or just leave it there just laying in my phone.

Top Bottom