• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miitomo |OT| A new way of COMMUnication

Dystify

Yeah the game doesn't have that much to offer. I hope they will update it regularly (with more than just clothes).

But I still play it everyday and just answer things or read answers from you guys. There's some pretty hilarious stuff in there.

I'll keep trucking away everyday so I can stack the Platinum Coins.
I'm enjoying it a lot still though.
Pretty curious about just how many questions there are, kinda wanna answer them all.

chadi

Looks like the weekly missions (sign in to eShop and Miiverse, 30 pts each) are active again. Still short 40 pts for Zelda Picross. D:

BTA

Sorry if this was already answered, but a quick question- if I copy my Mii in from my NNID (or 3DS), can I modify it further or would I have to make it from scratch to do that? I was already planning on modifying mine soon anyway (I may have finally noticed that my Mii's hair parts on the opposite side...), but I'll be away from my Wii U for a good while.

chadi

Sorry if this was already answered, but a quick question- if I copy my Mii in from my NNID (or 3DS), can I modify it further or would I have to make it from scratch to do that? I was already planning on modifying mine soon anyway (I may have finally noticed that my Mii's hair parts on the opposite side...), but I'll be away from my Wii U for a good while.

They can be modified within the app.

Looks like the weekly missions (sign in to eShop and Miiverse, 30 pts each) are active again. Still short 40 pts for Zelda Picross. D:

There's 4 weekly mission, sign in to Nintendo homepage, My Nintendo, e-shop and Miiverse. Also we really need a separate MyNintendo thread.

It doesn't work on rooted devices. You'll have to unroot if you want to play, unfortunately.

I didn't root my device, though.
But I can't deny the possibility that it might be rooted since I bought it used.
Guess I need to look for a manual to unroot my smartphone.

EDIT:
I made sure my phone is not rooted anymore but I still can't play it. That makes me sad :(

There's 4 weekly mission, sign in to Nintendo homepage, My Nintendo, e-shop and Miiverse. Also we really need a separate MyNintendo thread.

How do you get the Nintendo homepage one? I've gotten the ones from My Nintendo, e-Shop, and Miiverse, but I don't think I've gotten anything from the homepage.

Josephl64

How do you get the Nintendo homepage one? I've gotten the ones from My Nintendo, e-Shop, and Miiverse, but I don't think I've gotten anything from the homepage.

next to the containers that hold all the coins with the radio, there was a platinum coin just sitting outside of them in the center, i just clicked it and got mine.

I have no idea, it just poped out by itself.

5mqmuWP.png

next to the containers that hold all the coins with the radio, there was a platinum coin just sitting outside of them in the center, i just clicked it and got mine.

That's the weekly My Nintendo login coin, not Nintendo homepage login coin IIRC.

Heh this is interesting.
So I started up and my Mii wasn't in his room.
A visitor came but I still didn't return, although that 'Call back' option appeared.
The visiting Mii just waits there for you to come back.
It's pretty cool that your Mii's visits to others work in realtime.

Also, I didn't think to check before but this has iPhone 3D Touch shortcuts

Nintendo have really embraced this whole mobile thing.

Galava

Heh this is interesting.
So I started up and my Mii wasn't in his room.
A visitor came but I still didn't return, although that 'Call back' option appeared.
The visiting Mii just waits there for you to come back.
It's pretty cool that your Mii's visits to others work in realtime.

That's me!

chadi

That's the weekly My Nintendo login coin, not Nintendo homepage login coin IIRC.

Thanks. Got all four now. Forgot about the Nintendo Account one. Here they are in English:

Completed: Sign in to your Nintendo Account on the official Nintendo website (weekly)
Completed: Collect the My Nintendo sign-in bonus (weekly)
Completed: Sign in to Nintendo eShop (weekly)
Completed: Sign in to Miiverse (weekly)

I was able to get another one worth 10 pts via the My Nintendo Page. Saw my Mii carrying a gift box and had to click it.

Completed: Discover a secret mission

That's Mii!

Fixed! :D

Jo, how did you get the Japanese release on iOS? Japanese iTunes account?
Yep. I did this a couple weeks back using this guide and it worked just fine. You just have to log in and out of each region for app updates, is the only "hassle."

Yep, bjorks link is even the exact guide I used.
One thing, if you have Apple Music you need to sign out of your account and then restart your Mac.
Not restarting will keep giving you an error right before account verification of your new Japanese account.
I guess it's related to Apple Music as you're not allowed to switch stores if you subscribe and have to cancel your membership if you want to switch regions. Weird.

I was able to get another one worth 10 pts via the My Nintendo Page. Saw my Mii carrying a gift box and had to click it.

Completed: Discover a secret mission
Okay I expect at some point a NeoGAF topic all about finding My Nintendo secret missions. Lots of potential for Nintendo right here. I really love the idea.

So what android devices are supported? Has Nintendo ever said?

You need Android 4.1 or later. Miitomo won't work on rooted devices (which can actually be bypassed easily), Android emulators (Nox, Bluestacks, Andy, DuOS), and you can forget custom ROMs (which annoys me a lot because my tablet isn't Android-based and I would gladly remove root if they wanted).

Forkball

Chances this will be out in US/Europe today? I want that My Nintendo.

I hope so. Apple's event is today so it would be cool if they featured it. I'm not sure why it came out in Japan first anyways, but maybe there are some hangups on the NA MyNintendo release.

Also can you change your Miis nickname? Or import a Mii from your 3DS/Wii U?

bjork

So how do I get onto this miitomo twitter list?

Mine is @thesoundoftokyo

You can still play the game normally while on your usual account, though?

Yep. Once you're installed, it doesn't seem to matter which app store region you're tied into.

kubus

I used an even simpler method of getting a Japanese iTunes account. I did everything on my iPhone. Just sign out of iCloud, make a new account, access the App Store, choose Japan and filled in the information (just get a Japanese address from google). You can just brute force your way through the billing information screen. Just pick "None" from payment options and proceed. If it won't let you, keep trying and after 3 tries or so it just let me move on lol. I was then able to download Miitomo. Now sign out of iCloud again and back in with your normal iCloud account, and do the same for the App Store account (all accessed from Settings app). Done. Took 5 minutes maybe.

How are you all accessing the My Nintendo page btw? I thought that site was region locked by ip or something because everytime I go to https://my.nintendo.com/ it just shows me a blank page with the text "My Nintendo will be launching soon!" - even if I open a private window.

edit: Added you to the list Bjork!

Robin64

How are you all accessing the My Nintendo page btw? I thought that site was region locked by ip or something because everytime I go to https://my.nintendo.com/ it just shows me a blank page with the text "My Nintendo will be launching soon!" - even if I open a private window.

If you've logged in to a Japanese account at accounts.nintendo.com, then the My Nintendo page displays for that account.

img_site.png
mii03.png

Are these blue/silver Miitomo coins the same ones we use in-app to buy outfits?
They're obviously a different colour, but otherwise I can't figure out what they're for...

Are these blue/silver Miitomo coins the same ones we use in-app to buy outfits?
They're obviously a different colour, but otherwise I can't figure out what they're for...

There's Platinum Points for My Nintendo, there are regular Platinum Points & Platinum Miitomo Points (which are apparently the same thing anyway). There's also Gold Points for My Nintendo which you can only get by buying stuff with real money.

And then there's the in-app Miitomo coins, which has NOTHING to do with My Nintendo, it's just coins that can only be used inside Miitomo.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Platinum Points can only be used for rewards (like the Mario costume or the game tickets for Miitomo, or other stuff like that Twilight Princess Picross).

There's Platinum Points for My Nintendo, there are regular Platinum Points & Platinum Miitomo Points (which are apparently the same thing anyway). There's also Gold Points for My Nintendo which you can only get by buying stuff with real money.

This is were it's confusing, having two separate amounts of the 'same' coin.
Do Platinum coins earned directly in Miitomo, by changing your outfit etc, go into the Miitomo Platinum amount whereas other Platinum coins earned outside of Miitomo, like those earned for logging into Miiverse, go into the 'general' Platinum amount...?
If so then do the two amounts combine?
Or would you need to get 1,000 of one separate type of Platinum coin to be able to get Zelda Picross?

Obviously all of this would be answered by me just being patient for once and waiting for Account to launch for us all... but I've never been patient, ever. Can't start now!

Robin64

Do Platinum coins earned directly in Miitomo, by changing your outfit etc, go into the Miitomo Platinum amount whereas other Platinum coins earned outside of Miitomo, like those earned for logging into Miiverse, go into the 'general' Platinum amount...?
Or would you need to get 1,000 of one separate type of Platinum coin to be able to get Zelda Picross?

Obviously all of this would be answered by me just being patient for once and waiting for Account to launch for us all... but I've never been patient, ever. Can't start now!

All Platinum coins, regardless of source, are added together. You can get 500 from Miitomo and 500 from "other" and use those to get the 1000 for TwiPricross.

It's easier to consider Platinum coins as having the center show you their source, not their use. So if Mario Kart 9 gave Platinum coins, it would stand to reason that they will have a Mario Kart logo in the center.

You can click your icon on the top right of MyNintendo homepage, you'll see they're combined.

You need Android 4.1 or later. Miitomo won't work on rooted devices (which can actually be bypassed easily), Android emulators (Nox, Bluestacks, Andy, DuOS), and you can forget custom ROMs (which annoys me a lot because my tablet isn't Android-based and I would gladly remove root if they wanted).

it works on DuOS, but not other emus

Cheers guys, all makes sense now :)

I'm not sure launching an app that seemingly has 4 separate type of coin currencies was the smartest thing, but I'm sure it'll be logical for all in practice.

It's on Android as well, the two versions of the game are virtually identical feature-set wise, it does little unique with Apple's hardware or software design (doesn't support things like 3D Touch, doesn't even have swipe to go back) so the odds of it appearing in the conference are very slim.

---

Re: us discussing My Nintendo rewards and coin bonuses more than the app itself a few days after launch.

Not that I want to make that generalization, but I feel similar myself -- feels like I've answered most the low hanging fruit, and it's the compulsion loop they've built into the app (My Nintendo daily rewards, coin bonuses etc) that might be keeping us coming back more regularly than we would be if it didn't exist.

Food for thought there - hopefully when the app has wider availability it'll be a better reflection of what it's like to use it for what it is minus the somewhat cynical reward bonuses.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

jax

Banned
Regardless of exclusivity, Nintendo X Apple is huge. I'd say there's a chance we'll see Bill Trinen on stage today, even if it's a small chance.

Maybe they'll also announce an Apple Watch exclusive companion app to make it worth it...?
It'll just be your Mii's face and whenever you press it it'll fire questions at you.

Top Bottom