• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mikami: PS4 was more powerful when XONE was announced, "now they're almost identical"

Exactly. And he was kind enough to not destroy Cernybots too much by omitting the Cloud, which will provide at least 4 additional TetraFlips for each XBOX ONE out there. Not to mention SHAPE, which should on average offload ~400 GygaFlips from the CPU.

Hope your not serious.

"lead technical artist here
the gpu of the ps4 is marginally better, but the cpu of the xbox one is clocked higher then the ps4's, 8 cores - 1.75Ghz vs ps4 with 1.6Ghz.
there is also the misconception that faster gpu means faster graphics - the gpu can only work so fast as the systembus & cpu allow it.
see cpu and gpu as master-slave, slave can only work so fast as master gives him work.
then there is the ridiculous DDR5 vs DDR3 debate...
yes - DDR5 has a higher frequenzy which allows for a higher theoretical peak memory bandwith.
BUT, the reality is memory read/writes do not happen in a constant stream, and this is where DDR5 is lacking and DDR3 takes the lead - latency.
DDR3 needs a lot less time for each memory read/write and with the addition of the 32eSRAM that xbox one has, read/writes can happen at the same time.
(taken the stupid peak bandwidth argument - the xbox one beats the ps4 on paper with 204GB/s vs the ps4's 176GB/s)."

This guy actually does know what he's talking about. Which is rare to see in tech discussions on GAF.
First of all, post the source.

...a miserable little pile of secrets/secrets

Pain

Banned
the gpu of the ps4 is marginally better, but the cpu of the xbox one is clocked higher then the ps4's, 8 cores - 1.75Ghz vs ps4 with 1.6Ghz.
there is also the misconception that faster gpu means faster graphics - the gpu can only work so fast as the systembus & cpu allow it.
see cpu and gpu as master-slave, slave can only work so fast as master gives him work.
yes - DDR5 has a higher frequenzy which allows for a higher theoretical peak memory bandwith.
BUT, the reality is memory read/writes do not happen in a constant stream, and this is where DDR5 is lacking and DDR3 takes the lead - latency.
DDR3 needs a lot less time for each memory read/write and with the addition of the 32eSRAM that xbox one has, read/writes can happen at the same time.
(taken the stupid peak bandwidth argument - the xbox one beats the ps4 on paper with 204GB/s vs the ps4's 176GB/s)."

This guy actually does know what he's talking about. Which is rare to see in tech discussions on GAF.
DDR5? Lol

Not a tech genius here but cant GDDR5 also read/write at the same time?

Mitark

And when Xbox One was first announced it had lower specs than PS4, but now they’re almost identical. “So either will do.”

man this is dumb, god dammit Mikami i'm disappointed.. screw math i think..?

zyG9g0f.jpg

Exactly. And he was kind enough to not destroy Cernybots too much by omitting the Cloud, which will provide at least 4 additional TetraFlips for each XBOX ONE out there. Not to mention SHAPE, which should on average offload ~400 GygaFlips from the CPU.

Umm.....no

Edit: if it's a joke post then you got me

TheD

The Detective

That is a huge load of bullshit.

The GPU is not "marginally better", it is a large amount better!
It is bullshit to claim that then make a big deal out of a slightly faster CPU!

The CPU will only lower the max framerate the GPU (if the game is CPU limited at a given time) can output, it has just about no affect on the amount of effects, res and the like the GPU can render in a given amount of time.

It is fucking GDDR5, not DDR5!
You can not just fucking drop letters off acronyms!

You can also not add bandwidth together when most of that bandwidth is only for what fits in a tiny % of RAM!

coldone

Maybe if you are a technical incompetent, Mikami. Maybe then they are almost identical.

He should join EA sports. Madden, NBA Live all run on Xbox one, PS4, PS3, 360 the exactly the same way. They think all four consoles are pretty much identical when it comes to performance. Some great(lazy/stupid/dumb) engineering work going on behind the scenes.

Shssss....no more dreams for you only salt.....

bless and unless you can back this up are you willing to face the ban hammer? (and pinching it from Reddit doesn't count..)

RedSwirl

I question how much Mikami even gives a fuck about next-gen. Almost every Japanese developer I've seen with a next-gen game coming is pretty much taking their current-gen game and porting it to next-gen just because. If Evil Within wasn't being published by a western company like Bethesda I wonder if it would even be on any platforms other than 360 and PS3.

Mr.Speedy

Banned
Some more updates from the r/xboxone "lead technical artist"

lead technical artist here
then there is the ridiculous GDDR5 vs DDR3 debate...
yes - GDDR5 has a higher frequency which allows for a higher theoretical peak memory bandwith.
BUT, the reality is memory read/writes do not happen in a constant stream, and this is where GDDR5 is lacking and DDR3 takes the lead - latency.
DDR3 needs a lot less time for each memory read/write and with the addition of the 32MB ESRAM that xbox one has, read/writes can happen at the same time.
(taken the stupid peak bandwidth argument - the xbox one beats the ps4 on paper with 204GB/s vs the ps4's 176GB/s).
the reality is - games are incredibly complex and never ever run at peak performance of a system.
it takes a skilled team of developers & good planning to make a visually impressive game.
both consoles have the hardware and developers behind it to give us what we want - fighting over theoretical numbers and badmouthing the other system is stupid - the proof is going to be in the games experience.
now stop fighting and start playing :D
EDIT to clarify points:
on ps4 gpu marginally better: gpu clockspeed is as important as computing units, clockspeed not only affects shader throughput, but also a ALU, pixel & vertex rate.
a higher clockspeed means the gpu of the xbox one (@ 853Mhz) calculate data at a faster rate then the ps4 (@ 800Mhz). the ps4 makes up in this by having 18CU's instead of the xbox one's 12. this would give the ps4 a higher headroom for gpu calculations but only if the cpu pushes data fast enough.
what this all means in practical game performance has yet to be seen, the gpu's of both systems are not that far apart as the press wants to make everyone believe and making any assumption at this point is pointless.
corrected spelling of GDDR5
xbox one confirmed 1.6 and raised it to 1.75 in september
the ps4 is estimated at 1.6 based on leaked technical specifications.
sony has been playing the numbers game for every other piece of hardware in the ps4 - but they never stated their actual clockspeed and i guess if it would be higher than xbox ones, sony would have allready said so.
the facts stated are publicly available and do not stem from rumors/hearsay/fiction. (i will source everything if needed)

Mrbob

Core GPU clock comparison only matters if we are comparing the exact same architecture in an apples vs apples situation. I can't believe he tries to deceive people by saying the 53 mhz Xbone GPU bump is significant. What a clown.

Well, when you put it in those terms

t6Piwil.gif

you say all this as if we don't already know WHY Wii U ports looked worse (the weak CPU and engines designed around a more powerful CPU). you say this as if people weren't predicting multiplatform games on PS3 might struggle to reach parity with 360 versions because of the harder to program for architecture, while 1st party titles would demonstrate an advantage.

I know I hypothesized such a thing was plausible in threads around launch of the PS3 when we were getting into debates about whether it was hard to program for and what that might mean.

We knew BEFORE the PS3 came out that it was much harder to code for but more powerful overall.

And we know now, that the PS4 is easier to program for and more powerful overall.

We don't need to wait a year. You just need to look at everything we know objectively.

Self quoting here, because I dug up my prediction from August 2006.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4077433&postcount=78

what i heard from people at lucasarts at E3 was that it was easier to tap the 360's power but that the ps3 had more power. that makes me think the multiplatform titles aren't going to the ones that really show the difference between the two in terms of raw power and that the 360 might actually come off looking better on multiplatform titles over all, with the ps3 having a few exclusives that the 360 couldn't pull off.

what I'm saying now:

The PS4 will demonstrate an advantage in multiplatform titles at launch and will have the better looking exclusives. Throughout the gen. This is based on everything we're hearing from developers, including Mikami and Carmack, for the reasons I've gone into before.

I'm not magical, I just listen to what I'm hearing from all sides, consider who is saying it, and try to apply common sense.

Bundy

Banned
Back to the old latency thing, uh?
Yep, which disqualifies him completely.

2 weeks went by and a new contender appears, claiming "they're nearly the same" .
This will happen all the time, until launch.
After that, they will have a different/new excuse.
Hm... hm.... drivers.... the drivers aren't ready.

astraycat

Some more updates from the r/xboxone "lead technical artist"
Some Guy On Reddit said:
lead technical artist here
then there is the ridiculous GDDR5 vs DDR3 debate...
yes - GDDR5 has a higher frequency which allows for a higher theoretical peak memory bandwith.
BUT, the reality is memory read/writes do not happen in a constant stream, and this is where GDDR5 is lacking and DDR3 takes the lead - latency.
DDR3 needs a lot less time for each memory read/write and with the addition of the 32MB ESRAM that xbox one has, read/writes can happen at the same time.
(taken the stupid peak bandwidth argument - the xbox one beats the ps4 on paper with 204GB/s vs the ps4's 176GB/s).
the reality is - games are incredibly complex and never ever run at peak performance of a system.
it takes a skilled team of developers & good planning to make a visually impressive game.
both consoles have the hardware and developers behind it to give us what we want - fighting over theoretical numbers and badmouthing the other system is stupid - the proof is going to be in the games experience.
now stop fighting and start playing :D
EDIT to clarify points:
on ps4 gpu marginally better: gpu clockspeed is as important as computing units, clockspeed not only affects shader throughput, but also a ALU, pixel & vertex rate.
a higher clockspeed means the gpu of the xbox one (@ 853Mhz) calculate data at a faster rate then the ps4 (@ 800Mhz). the ps4 makes up in this by having 18CU's instead of the xbox one's 12. this would give the ps4 a higher headroom for gpu calculations but only if the cpu pushes data fast enough.
what this all means in practical game performance has yet to be seen, the gpu's of both systems are not that far apart as the press wants to make everyone believe and making any assumption at this point is pointless.
corrected spelling of GDDR5
xbox one confirmed 1.6 and raised it to 1.75 in september
the ps4 is estimated at 1.6 based on leaked technical specifications.
sony has been playing the numbers game for every other piece of hardware in the ps4 - but they never stated their actual clockspeed and i guess if it would be higher than xbox ones, sony would have allready said so.
the facts stated are publicly available and do not stem from rumors/hearsay/fiction. (i will source everything if needed)

Reddit posts deserve a reddit response:

gOVwUl1.gif

kadotsu

Banned
I must have traveled back in time because people are using the balance argument again. Soon we'll be talking about secret processors and audio DSP superiority again.

eh, I don't think we should expect designers to be some great source on "system power" (this is probably one of the few times I can relatively objectively say "trust me, I'm an expert", haha) We don't code game engines all day at work, so we're probably the least likely to be able to quantify which one is more powerful than the other, lol. The only time I really learn about the system power of one console vs. the other is when a programmer comes to me and says "hey, our framerate is tanking on system X, stop spawning so many people" or "We're running out of memory on system X, we'll either have to downgrade textures, or you have to try to find some way to trim your level down."

And even then, that could be because of some architecture quirk of our specific engine, rather than anything to do with the system itself.

As I mentioned earlier, he can probably see a build of his game running on both systems, relatively similarly and say from his perspective, "yep, pretty much equal in power! I don't have to cut any features, or drastically alter the construction of the game. My design vision is being communicated on both systems just fine". But that's because a designer is more likely to be focused on mechanics, systems, controls, pacing, "experience", blah blah. That kind of stuff may very well be the "exact same" on both systems from his perspective, even if maybe one runs at 1080p and one runs at 720p.

Top Bottom