• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Ybarra, Corporate VP of Xbox: Anthem critics “whining”; “embarrassing to review with such a lack of knowledge”

Gamezone

Gold Member
Spoken like a person who know how it's like to receive 50-60% score on Metacritic with their first party games.

Oh, wait.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Is MS the partner for marketing on this?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Spoken like a person who know how it's like to receive 50-60% score on Metacritic with their first party games.

Oh, wait.
giphy.gif

DanielsM

Banned
Last edited:

Calibos

**removed**

However, Ybarra should stfu in this case...heads of companies should not be talking about this stuff...we should.

EDIT: This is a different issue that I am thinking of.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Yeah I mean in the span of a week:
- the crackdown 3 reviews
-rumors that Nintendo may resurrect a game they cancelled
-anthem apparently not being all that great and having a big marketing deal with it
-and a terrible January NPD result,

Its not surprising to see xbox execs in hysterics and having meltdowns.
Bingo!

Zephir

They need to stick the game back in the fire. I'm really fearful that EA will just dump the game like they did with Mass Effect Andromeda.

Andromeda was still "just" a singleplayer RPG, they could have just dump it easily without major consequences (and they did)...Anthem is a game as a service, they can still be profitable with little effort thanks to the microtransactions

Seems like he is picking on something that IS an actual issue. Game reviewers not knowing what the fuck they are doing in a game that they are reviewing, subsequently docking the game for their own lack of knowledge or ability. IGN podcasts and reviews are full of this shit, as are others.

However, Ybarra should stfu in this case...heads of companies should not be talking about this stuff...we should.
the game mechanic in question is not well-explained by the game itself and a lot of people who have played the game have corroborated that.

not that I think game reviewers couldn't stand to be better at games, but 'better' isn't always the problem. sometimes a game is just obtuse

Amazed at the whining? Meanwhile, people are amazed at how unfinished this thing is. This is a fully priced game that is... out for some people now, right? And soon for everyone else? That's bonkers. The sheer arrogance in his statement is hilarious when you realise that by fixing the problem, they have in fact shortened the length of a game which is already far too short for its style and caliber.

Frankly, this whole thing is kinda embarrassing. Hearing Gerstmann tear it a new one today really put it in perspective - not saying his word is gospel, but his sentiments are echoed throughout plenty of other reviews that I've read since, and my 3ish hours of experience in the demo lines up too. As expected, there are huge, fundamental issues with the retail product that cannot be rectified with simple patches. Not only does it need a lot of support and content going forward, but it's gonna have to be really good, and importantly free, to keep people interested once better games start coming out.
I don’t know man. I can understand the tumultuous Destiny 2 launch. The Taken king imo was fantastic and the other expansion At the end was ok I hear. So going from that to 2 was kinda shit.

We are now comparing a D2 post content and major reworks to a game that obviously has had rework to not Battlefront 2 players come out later than expected. But it has no baseline except for EA hatred and feelings of Betrayal by ME fans. I get it.

But I have more time in this game from the Demo and the Early acces, which is shit practice I agree, and I find this game more enjoyable than D2 right now. And I like D2 a lot. I’m also. Huuuge War Frame fanatic. I don’t expect these to all be on the same page.

I get the reviews. Their is stuff to criticize and the game demo definitely didn’t do any reviewers Justice since they report on what they play.

But the narrative around this game is getting out of control. There is a good game in what is there. Can’t wait until Friday.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Seems like he is picking on something that IS an actual issue. Game reviewers not knowing what the fuck they are doing in a game that they are reviewing, subsequently docking the game for their own lack of knowledge or ability. IGN podcasts and reviews are full of this shit, as are others.

Actually what he is talking about is a gaming issue and it is not explained ingame... so reviewers or us gamers doesn't have to know what is not told to you.

It a game have confused and not explained mechanics then I will agree with removing points from the scores.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
WHOA! Who is picking the games over there?

Well be fair its not like MS can pick and choose who they partner with. Theyre down 2:1 world wide, completely dead in continental Europe and Asia. I think one of the reasons dude is in such a panic is because Anthem represents and is the quintessential "Xbox" game experience MS has been pushing lately. An always online, Games as a service, coop adventure with friends. Its the type of game MS has bet the farm on going into the future and is one of the premiere studios MS has trusted in the past. And its falling flat on its face, in terms of reviews at least.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Yeah, if you can't do basic move sets in the game, you have no business writing a review of the game.
That is, unless it's the game's fault, e.g. by having shit controls.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Well be fair its not like MS can pick and choose who they partner with. Theyre down 2:1 world wide, completely dead in continental Europe and Asia. I think one of the reasons dude is in such a panic is because Anthem represents and is the quintessential "Xbox" game experience MS has been pushing lately. An always online, Games as a service, coop adventure with friends. Its the type of game MS has bet the farm on going into the future and is one of the premiere studios MS has trusted in the past. And its falling flat on its face, in terms of reviews at least.

Very true. I wonder if MS will learn anything from there experience. Maybe Games as a Service shouldn't be where they are putting most of their eggs in a basket. It's hard enough to just make a good game without online capabilities. Just seems so weird to make GaaS games be your bread and butter when so much can go wrong.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Andromeda was still "just" a singleplayer RPG, they could have just dump it easily without major consequences (and they did)...Anthem is a game as a service, they can still be profitable with little effort thanks to the microtransactions

Andromeda was not just a single player RPG. There was multiplayer, shallow as it was, that also had microtransactions. It greatly mirrored Mass Effect 3's multiplayer, just with Andromeda's mobility. So your point is pretty much null and void from that point on.

Last edited:

Zephir

Andromeda was not just a single player RPG. There was multiplayer, shallow as it was, that also had microtransactions. It greatly mirrored Mass Effect 3's multiplayer, just with Andromeda's mobility. So your point is pretty much null and void from that point on.

Will you belive me if I say I totally forgot there was a multiplayer mode there?

Gediminas

Banned
you know that the game is fucked up when head of liers and spiners and hypocrites, comes out and try to spin it on gamers. every week they go low and lower.

DanielsM

Banned
While I don't necessarily disagree, this feels more like Crackdown venting and using Anthem as an excuse.

From his job description, it seems like he would be a big part of decision making or part of the a team in regard to game development and partnering. Probably a ton of frustration over there, but its a ton of bad decisions over a long time scale - kind of a mini-"DEAL WITH IT" moment. Blaming the reviewers is a no win situation, generally speaking. It would be better as a post-mortem say 12 months out, discuss the failure like, "the title could have been better at showing the gamer how it works or what it was about as gamers were confused". Blaming the "reviewer" isn't much different than blaming the "customer", generally speaking, I could see in particular instances where it might be good to point out things but not like this.

The reviewers are reviewing his work or his teams works (at least from what I can gather from his job description) in a general sense. (Got to have thick skin and take it, and get better)

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Was going to buy Anthem however won't be committing another Destiny 2 scenario although Destiny was alright I always felt like I wasn't given a complete game.

Barakov

Jumpforce, Fallout 76, Just cause 4, BFV, Anthem... They seem to know how to pick their games for e3.
Oh jeez. Totally forgot Jumpforce was at their press conference. Nearly all of those games are a turd in some respect. No wonder Ybarra is leaking sodium.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Anthem XB1S bundle across Amazon.

UK #1070
Germany #1344
France #3771
USA #1007

Saw this floating around online that someone else posted. No idea if its true or not but if so theres a lot of implications here:

-First of all January NPD For MS was 101k(Switch was 284k and ps4 was 195k for context). To add injury to insult the one s was 50 dollars off and the 1X was 399. PS4 had no deals in January. Almost sub 100k purchases in their strongest market in a month. Were probably looking at a sub 200k month world wide, while switch and PS4 are probably 500k plus per month. I don't know how xbox can sustain any hype until late 2020 with this kind of showing if it continues.

-Xbox one X was not been the shot in the arm MS needed to sustain long term marketshare growth and in likelihood was probably selling to already converted xbox one owners. I have no evidence to back this claim but I doubt a 500 dollar console attracted a lot of new people.

-Third party game splits, at where we get information anyways, shows a consistent 60:40 split for larger western AAA games and 80:20 splits for AAA Japanese games. This trend has been consistent but the spin is "But Xbox gamers download more games than usual." That may be true but PS4 gamers can download said games too and we don't know sales splits for those.

-Finally, Anthem is the Quintessential "Xbox" experience MS has been chasing all gen. Its what Sea of thieves, PUBG, and state of decay wish they could be in terms of production values and hype. And yet its getting mediocre reviews, and apparently bundles aren't helping at all. It may end up doing well when its all said and done but it wont be the phenomenon MS needs a game like this to be if GAAS type games are what they are betting the farm on.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Ya know I generally like Mike, this seems a bit out of character for him. I understand where he's coming from, as the game has a metacritic score prior to the embargo lifting, but at the same time lets be honest. There are things that a day 1 patch just can't fix. The progression design can't be fixed with a day 1 patch. The mission design won't be fixed with a patch. The fact that weapons lack uniqueness and variety such as Destiny's weapons do...won't be fixed with a patch. So what does Mike say after Feb 22nd? Just wait for the first expansion?

Let's face it, Microsoft bet on a lame horse. Sony did the same with Destiny and Destiny 2. Critically, Destiny 2 was a bad game, eventually made better too little too late for a lot of Destiny fans, myself included. One huge difference is the point in which each games flaws were truly realized. Anthem pulled back the curtain on it's semi-finished game with the demo and guarded it with excuses that it was a 6week old build and patches were coming...we know the rest. Destiny was mechanically solid...but people were shocked when they reached the end of the game in vanilla Destiny 1. The backlash was immense, but Activision had made their money. EA will most certainly suffer a different result.

Another huge difference is that we as an audience have had it with these unfinished games at this point in time and Anthem is going to get the brunt of this sentiment. When Destiny released we were more or less just being introduced to the looter shooter genre, leaving only Borderlands 1 and 2 ( complete games) to reference. Many gave it a pass. The content we did eventually get was awesome, though pricey. Anthem is claiming there will be no paid DLC, which for me would warrant a purchase, if the game wasn't so broken.

It's like EA is playing a marketing whack a mole with their games. Solve paid dlc problem, but the game is broken and boring now. Solve the broken problem in Battlefield 5, but now you got SJW BS to deal with and gamers who've all of a sudden become historians of the highest pedigree (I don't agree with criticism of women being featured in a WW2 game). I've gone on a bit of a tangent...after the second paragraph i just let my thoughts spill out onto this post. Sorry if this is unwelcome.

Ya know I generally like Mike, this seems a bit out of character for him. I understand where he's coming from, as the game has a metacritic score prior to the embargo lifting, but at the same time lets be honest. There are things that a day 1 patch just can't fix. The progression design can't be fixed with a day 1 patch. The mission design won't be fixed with a patch. The fact that weapons lack uniqueness and variety such as Destiny's weapons do...won't be fixed with a patch. So what does Mike say after Feb 22nd? Just wait for the first expansion?

Let's face it, Microsoft bet on a lame horse. Sony did the same with Destiny and Destiny 2. Critically, Destiny 2 was a bad game, eventually made better too little too late for a lot of Destiny fans, myself included. One huge difference is the point in which each games flaws were truly realized. Anthem pulled back the curtain on it's semi-finished game with the demo and guarded it with excuses that it was a 6week old build and patches were coming...we know the rest. Destiny was mechanically solid...but people were shocked when they reached the end of the game in vanilla Destiny 1. The backlash was immense, but Activision had made their money. EA will most certainly suffer a different result.

Another huge difference is that we as an audience have had it with these unfinished games at this point in time and Anthem is going to get the brunt of this sentiment. When Destiny released we were more or less just being introduced to the looter shooter genre, leaving only Borderlands 1 and 2 ( complete games) to reference. Many gave it a pass. The content we did eventually get was awesome, though pricey. Anthem is claiming there will be no paid DLC, which for me would warrant a purchase, if the game wasn't so broken.

It's like EA is playing a marketing whack a mole with their games. Solve paid dlc problem, but the game is broken and boring now. Solve the broken problem in Battlefield 5, but now you got SJW BS to deal with and gamers who've all of a sudden become historians of the highest pedigree (I don't agree with criticism of women being featured in a WW2 game). I've gone on a bit of a tangent...after the second paragraph i just let my thoughts spill out onto this post. Sorry if this is unwelcome.

What's weirder is that he didn't do this in defense of a game his corporation published just a week ago. It either shows that the money/stakes in Anthem was a lot higher than Crackdown 3 or EA (behind the scenes) is stressful as fuck to work with.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
What's weirder is that he didn't do this in defense of a game his corporation published just a week ago. It either shows that the money/stakes in Anthem was a lot higher than Crackdown 3 or EA (behind the scenes) is stressful as fuck to work with.

He probably figured the backlash would be 10x worse. That, or even he understood that game got the reviews it deserved.

Dabaus

Banned

Makes you wonder if there was a bidding war between sony and Microsoft, and Microsoft was willing to pay the most. Just pure speculation but I do find it curious that MS is willing to circle the wagons as it were for this game in particular.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Which is a shame because Mass Effect 3 had one of the greatest all-time horde modes.

It was great for it's time. If they would have innovated on more than your character's movement...maybe gave the enemies better AI and movement...I think it would be nice. For me, Andromeda's multiplayer just made me want to play Warframe. Far better experience.

Probably a lot of pent up anger from the crackdown 3 reviews. Now a game they have a big marketing deal with is getting raked over the coals, must be frustrating that everything your company does either goes to shit or severely under performs. Microsft has had like the anti midas touch this gen. Every game they've made or partnered with has either out right bombed, severely under performed, or has gone multiplatform for the sequels. It must be infuriating.

With the exception of Forza Horizon, I agree with you about everything else (and one series out of everything is still horrible). They do seem to have the reverse Midas touch this generation. I'm not quite sure why that is either - they can't seem to back the right games no matter how hard they try.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is a bad look for the VP of Xbox. A high level executive doing a petty tweet about a "reviewer." Makes him look like an ass and would he say the same thing to "reviewers" of bad Xbox games?
It' Twitter. It's humans with too much to say. You'd think a VP would know better. Nope. Time to tweet and get things off my chest like a manchild.

ybarra is a jackass and always has been. phil is a much more professional and pleasant person . get rid of ybarra. he tries to be nice but hes always condescending

Crew 511A

With the exception of Forza Horizon, I agree with you about everything else (and one series out of everything is still horrible). They do seem to have the reverse Midas touch this generation. I'm not quite sure why that is either - they can't seem to back the right games no matter how hard they try.

It's been brutal. I wish they'd just buy Sega and tell them to go to town with their old IP's.

Top Bottom