• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft coming to the Wii U eShop next week (Dec. 17)

FyreWulff

Probably silly question but is 4J actually doing the port? They seemed pretty adamant about not wanting anything to do with the Wii U.

They seem to be, and 4J ports where they're told to port. They've been a defacto MS studio for quite a while now.

Lazaro

Wow. Microsoft is flaunting Minecraft on Wii U nearly everywhere around there social channels.

Microsoft Studios even has a blog post about the Wii U version.
https://microsoftstudios.com/2015/12/07/minecraft-wiiu-edition-announced/

Found this on the page:
Microsoft Studios said:
Ready for even more exciting news? We’re working on new content for the Nintendo version and we’ll have more details about that later so stay tuned!

I also found this in the comments...
xboxnintendohhofa.jpg

I also found this it's not much but it sounds like it's up to Rare if they want Rare Replay on Wii U
microosftrarenintendpgopdr.jpg

For what purpose. I mean, I've never played the game but knowing the game from seeing it played on other consoles and the Wii U is perfect for the inventory. I mean...what's the point of even releasing it now?
They said something along the lines of not at the moment. The dev team seems pretty socially active, so I think maybe if people ask for it, there's a higher chance we'll get the feature down the road as a patch. They did confirm we'll be getting future updates, so it's not that farfetched of an idea.

AzaK

Cynn

With Nintendo patents relating to cloud processing and supplemtental computing devices it sort of does look like Xbox has a hand in this but I doubt it...

Then again, Nintendo hired one of the Windows Phone engineers a couple of months back. And Microsoft is already trying to unify devices and experinces as well.
That would be crazy. Could you imagine the world's reaction if NX was partnered with Xbox in some way? Maybe MS just wants to put Rare back to work making slightly better versions of Nintendo hits like the 90's. lol

This is the "big" announcement?

I'd take a Mario or Zelda themed mash-up. That would be the only thing that would cause me to quadruple (quintuple?)-dip.

Nintendo:  Dear Microsoft, we would like to put Minecraft on Wii U. 

Microsoft:  Sure!  It's everywhere else anyway, more money for us!

Nintendo: We'd also like to release Mario and Zelda mashup skin packs for it, but those would be exclusive to Nintendo platforms.

Microsoft:  Sorry bruh, but we own Minecraft.  Remember that two billion dollar thingy a while back?  So yeah, um, if you want to add any Mario or Zelda skins, they'll need to be released across all versions of Minecraft on all systems.

Nintendo:  Oh... um, thanks anyway but we'll hold off on that bit then.

Sorry folks, no mashups, and Mario/Zelda aren't coming to XB/PS via a stealth Minecraft release.  :_(

JoeM86

Nintendo:  Dear Microsoft, we would like to put Minecraft on Wii U. 

Microsoft:  Sure!  It's everywhere else anyway, more money for us!

Nintendo: We'd also like to release Mario and Zelda mashup skin packs for it, but those would be exclusive to Nintendo platforms.

Microsoft:  Sorry bruh, but we own Minecraft.  Remember that two billion dollar thingy a while back?  So yeah, um, if you want to add any Mario or Zelda skins, they'll need to be released across all versions of Minecraft on all systems.

Nintendo:  Oh... um, thanks anyway but we'll hold off on that bit then.

Sorry folks, no mashups, and Mario/Zelda aren't coming to XB/PS via a stealth Minecraft release.  :_(

You do realise the PR confirmed there's Nintendo exclusive content coming to it, right? :p

Wow. Microsoft is flaunting Minecraft on Wii U nearly everywhere around there social channels.

Found this on the page:

xboxnintendohhofa.jpg

I also found this it's not much but it sounds like it's up to Rare if they want Rare Replay on Wii U
Would settle for VC versions of Rare's N64 games (Banjo, Conker, Perfect Dark)

Mastperf

I have no expectation that 4J is just going to make it the 360 version's worldsize. I expect them to just have it be the maximum they can get to.

I mean, people thought they were going to half ass the 360 featureset, and now the 360 version is on TU23 or something like that. They've been pretty good about updating and upgrading these versions.
4j was doing a great job for a long time but the updates have slowed down significantly. There should be a new huge update this month, but other than one small update mid year, it's been a year this month since the last big update. They seem to have no problem getting the extra dlc out to sell, though. I'm glad WiiU owners get to buy the game, but 4j Studios was apparently unprepared to handle so many versions. Before this year they manged to develop the XB1, PS4 and Vita versions while still updating the 360 and PS3 versions on a regular basis. Only other reason I could think of besides them not being up to the task is that MS has told them to slow down on the updates. New updates bring people back to the game and they purchse new texture packs and mash-up packs that they missed while they were away.
Either way, it's a pretty poor way to treat the consumers.

I still don't know how this game got so big.

it's an accesible but deep game where you can easily lose yourself in the game world without it eventually feeling old and tired.

4j was doing a great job for a long time but the updates have slowed down significantly. There should be a new huge update this month, but other than one small update mid year, it's been a year this month since the last big update. They seem to have no problem getting the extra dlc out to sell, though. I'm glad WiiU owners get to buy the game, but 4j Studios was apparently unprepared to handle so many versions. Before this year they manged to develop the XB1, PS4 and Vita versions while still updating the 360 and PS3 versions on a regular basis. Only other reason I could think of besides them not being up to the task is that MS has told them to slow down on the updates. New updates bring people back to the game and they purchse new texture packs and mash-up packs that they missed while they were away.

i think the thing is that most of the 360 players who would play it on a regular basis have since moved onto xb1 or ps4, or have always played it alongside pc anyways. so putting out major updates for a version that has a shrinking userbase is probably low on the priority list.

Cmagus

Nice to see it coming to Wii-U finally. I bought my niece a Wii-U not to long ago and I'll probably pick this up for her so she can experience this amazing game. Hopefully those who haven't played it will get to enjoy this game as well it's definitely worth a try.

It would be cool if they do an amiibo for this game I'd grab one just to have it. It would also be cool if they had unlockable skins attached to any amiibo you use, that would be pretty awesome.

I picked up the Minecraft soundtrack awhile ago and have been listening to it a lot lately and it always amazes me just how good the soundtrack for this game is

Minecraft OST - Mutation
Minecraft OST - Living Mice

jariw

Is this a joke post? If not, do you have any source on this?

I know the IOS and Android version of MC is pretty far ahead, feature wise. (Infinite worlds), but the Vita version is my perfect bedtime game. Due to the controls working well. So relaxing. And yes, the soundtrack is remarkable.

Bazry

Found this on the page:

xboxnintendohhofa.jpg

Well technically there are some Rare Replay games already playable on Wii U (Donkey Kong 64)

Top Bottom