• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
GDJustin said:
Also I'm not sure where the game is being linked, but it is def. picking up steam. 650 copies sold in the last 24 hours. The game isn't actually $10... it's 10 POUNDS... about ~$13. This mean he's made about $8450 in 24 hours!

Its been on the front page of GAF for 24 hours or so...

Blizzard

Banned
sgnhh said:
Multiplayer survival mode needs to have someway for players to engage others in combat without having the ability to totally destroy forts without the builder being in the server. Hopefully that makes sense, I haven't played any classic multiplayer yet but it sounds like griefing can be an issue.

also, the ability to capture zombies and spiders and turn them onto your side in a battle would be awesome. and creating arenas for players to fight against the enemies. so many possibilities.
Apparently there's already some sort of simple multiplayer game people play ("spleef"?) in classic mode, but I haven't played it.

Griefing basically only takes two forms as far as I know...destroying (making tunnels, random pits, breaking your 20-hour castle, cutting holes in your walls) and creating (constructing cubic swastika-covered buildings, adding giant penises at various map locations, etc.).

Danneee

This is so awesome, I've built my house in a cliff on a mountain ridden with waterfalls and candles to keep monsters away (had creepers blow my house up like three times...).

The coolest thing about the map is that in the distance there is a mountain that looks like that big alien rock from Dead Space. Some day I will explore it but before that I want to stock up on armor and weapons...
MNdjdGPBl.jpg

Fitz

Brannon said:
I'm sure Notch will make it so that only the creator of the world can decide what is and is not removeable.

Hopefully, there may be initial problems, but ideally there will be ways to control who you play with, at some point at least. Just imagine the possibilities though, multiple people will be able to work on giant construction projects due to increased manpower, you could have miners, builders, guards, farmers all sorts, my mind boggles at the possibilities.

Razorskin

----- ------
Blizzard said:
...actually you're right. I don't know when he started development, but over 30,000 copies sold at $10 apiece means $300,000+ for one guy...and more if it's actually in pounds. I seem to recall that he's a bearded Swede, so it might be more or less in SwedeBucks. :lol

cCpUV.jpg

He did quit his job to work full time on developing this game.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
As for why people are playing the game now, I think it's a combination of two things:

1) How "powerful" the player is. You have a lot more ability to shape the world around you than in other games. In fact you can literally make the entire game world into whatever shape you want.

2) How much potential the game has.

Yes, right now there are just a few enemies/creeps, but most Minecraft players understand what these enemies represent. Now that the groundwork has been laid for enemies to have predator/prey relationships, day/night cycles, fight/flight AI routines... the hard work has all been done. 20, 50, 100 more enemies can now be implemented considerably faster.

Ditto for crafting. Yeah not much can be crafted now, but the crafting system is powerful and well-thought-out and pretty much bug free. So it's easy to imagine several dozen more craftable items.

There are other examples of this... systems in place that could easily be expanded to increase the scope of the game (vehicles, combat, ores/materials).

~~~

Anyway, re: multiplayer - I don't think it'll be as much of a problem as a lot of you. The obvious answer is to just have private, password-protected games. And probably give the admin some ability to revert to saves in the event of something catastrophic.

I am def. pumped about the multi, though. I don't have any creative flair, but I'll happily log on for 15 minute chunks and mine raw materials for the GAF crew. It's easy to envision how it could be organized... lots and lots of storage chests, labeled via signposts. Stone here... ore here... pickaxes here, etc.

Rapstah

I decided to spend an in-game day hiking over the hills a kilometer away and on the other side was an awesome-looking lake with cliffs overlooking it. I almost feel like building a cottage over there so I can spend nights in the region without getting eaten by spiders.

MNC

I love playing the free multiplayer segment, but i need multiplayer before actually jumping in/buying this. It's looking better and better.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
MNC said:
I love playing the free multiplayer segment, but i need multiplayer before actually jumping in/buying this. It's looking better and better.

The game is 10 pounds (~$13) right now in Alpha, and you get full access to all new versions as they are released.

When multiplayer is in place, the game will officially be in beta, and the price is going to increase:

http://www.minecraft.net/prepurchase.jsp

That's why I went ahead and bought it now. I knew I was going to buy it eventually. So even if I don't play it much for a few months, by buying now I saved a few dollars down the line.

MNC

GDJustin said:
The game is 10 pounds (~$13) right now in Alpha, and you get full access to all new versions as they are released.

When multiplayer is in place, the game will officially be in beta, and the price is going to increase:

http://www.minecraft.net/prepurchase.jsp

That's why I went ahead and bought it now. I knew I was going to buy it eventually. So even if I don't play it much for a few months, by buying now I saved a few dollars down the line.
Yeah, just saw that. Don't want that to happen so I'll have to jump in with a few friends soon.

Aselith

I decided to make a floating castle today. Too bad I don't have the full version yet. The only thing I have left are my pictures. :/

castle1.jpg

castle2.jpg

castle3.jpg

castle4.jpg

castle5.jpg

castle6.jpg

^^^ You can see the first house I attempted and the stairs I used to climb up to the castle build site in this one.

castle7.jpg

Ferrio

Banned
Aselith said:
I decided to make a floating castle today. Too bad I don't have the full version yet. The only thing I have left are my pictures. :/

Full version is such a totally different game. The amount of time to make something like that is increased like 10 fold.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So, a couple new files downloaded and now there are cows in the damn game. Killing them gives you something that looks like leather. Interesting.. I wonder if we can build a Farm?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
drizzle said:
So, a couple new files downloaded and now there are cows in the damn game. Killing them gives you something that looks like leather. Interesting.. I wonder if we can build a Farm?

COWS? And a new material drop? Awesome!

EDIT: Ah, from his blog:

+ Cattle
+ Milk (does nothing yet)
+ Leather
* Changed the recipe for leather armor

So, Leather armor now. I wonder if it's different than cloth?

Rapstah

My extremely boring house:

2ihkkz4.png

On a side note, the sounds cows make when you hit them are hilarious.

EDIT: What should I do to make my house more interesting? Add wooden spires extending in random directions to turn it into an evil wizard's tower?

Fitz

FlyinJ said:
COWS? And a new material drop? Awesome!

EDIT: Ah, from his blog:

+ Cattle
+ Milk (does nothing yet)
+ Leather
* Changed the recipe for leather armor

So, Leather armor now. I wonder if it's different than cloth?

Sweet, hopefully that will open the way for more things with cloth/leather. I'm thinking boat sails or something similar.

Ignignort

Curse you all for making me buy this game, so addictive!

last night In my mine I struck a heap of gold/redore, had to go very very deep to find it though. I'll post some pictures of my little setup later tonight after I've finished a few things:D

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Game is crashing nonstop and when i get back, i'm in the middle of something, dieing.
Can't do anything and i'm losing all my small progress
That's a bummer. Gonna stop playing for a while. (that's the only way i'll stop playing this damn game it seems)

I'm rapidly losing interest in the game since I can't fucking find any kind of ore other than 2-3 blocks of Iron (whenever i find it). I've already hit the bottom of the map multiple times (something called Admin Blocks, which you can't break no matter what). I might have to start a new map...

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Ferrio said:
What's redore?

Redstone is used to make circuits to connect things like levers and doors. People have made some extremely complex mechanisms and gate systems using redstone circuits and torches.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
drizzle said:
Game is crashing nonstop and when i get back, i'm in the middle of something, dieing.
That's a bummer. Gonna stop playing for a while. (that's the only way i'll stop playing this damn game it seems)

I'm rapidly losing interest in the game since I can't fucking find any kind of ore other than 2-3 blocks of Iron (whenever i find it). I've already hit the bottom of the map multiple times (something called Admin Blocks, which you can't break no matter what). I might have to start a new map...

Someone posted a great mining tactic, which I use a lot now, called "grid mining".

What you do is knock out a 4 block height hole in front of you. Then knock that 4 height hole 3 blocks deep (total of 4 deep). The turn right, and knock out another 4 deep, turn right, then another 3 deep. This will make a 3x3 block "pillar", and will expose a lot of rock surface area. If you don't see any minerals, just keep repeating this process on a new wall.

Dragnet

drizzle said:

I'm getting constant crashes since the update too, massive bummer :(

Fitz

Holy fuck this game can have you on edge. I was just mining for stone on the mainland to take back to my island that I'm building up. Whilst digging downwards, everything silent... I start to hear a faint sound like running water, it must be an underground stream I figure. As I press on downwards, I catch the glint of Iron Ore and excitedly start going off in another direction after the ore, forgetting to keep the place well lit, so things get dark, then all of a sudden my character starts shouting as he takes damage, I shit my pants and run for it. Turns out it was a cave in.
Anyway, kept going down until I got to the underground cavern with the stream and it was huge, but I was out of torches and I could hear creatures in the massive darkness so I just ran for it back to the safety of the surface.
I really hope the game never loses the scary little moments like that.

sgnhh

Neo Member
Cave in? That's possible? these stories just get better and better. wish my iBook could run this game, gotta wait a week to play it. : (

Fitz

Yeah, most blocks can float, but things like sand can't so if you're mining upwards and remove a block of stone for example, then it's possible for the stuff above to fall on you. Although I don't think all types of block do damage, not really sure at the moment.

Ignignort

If I make armour out of gold will it be better than making it with just iron?

The wiki page looks like it just gives a preset amount of armour points regardless?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
How well does Alpha run on a netbook? I'm thinking of buying it, but I'd likely only be playing it during class breaks at university.

Cday

Banned
Ignignort said:
If I make armour out of gold will it be better than making it with just iron?

The wiki page looks like it just gives a preset amount of armour points regardless?

Armor absorbs all damage done to you (even falling and drowning). Gold armor is just more durable.

sgnhh

Neo Member
Here's what the game looks like on my iBook G4 with everything put on low settings. pretty sad.

nY9Yil.jpg

v7Ge6l.jpg

Yd1U3l.jpg

in the last picture you can see animals on top of the world and zombies and stuff in caverns below me. You can also see one big cave in the distance.

Ferrio said:
A gaf multiplayer survival will be insane. Imagine the sprawling towns we could make.

It'll be like GAF's A Tale in the Desert attempt, though not as monotonous.

im not making the damn bricks this time!

also my god notch has made a fortune on this game take the 31699 paid users * €9.95 (euro?) = €315,100+ ($407,000+), for a single guy working on this game. This is why pc gaming can be so awesome sometimes lol

dude made enough money to basically live pretty comfortable and do nothing for the next 10 years (assuming he made around 40k a year). :lol

Cday

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:
Also my god notch has made a fortune on this game take the 31699 paid users * €9.95 (euro?) = €315,100+ ($407,000+), for a single guy working on this game. This is why pc gaming can be so awesome sometimes lol

dude made enough money to basically live pretty comfortable and do nothing for the next 10 years (assuming he made around 40k a year). :lol

Some of it goes towards servers, Paypal takes a small percentage and he has to pay taxes on it, Swedish tax at that. It's still a lot of money though.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Today's adventures:

So, decided to make an advanced place by the respawn, so I wouldn't be completely screwed if I died again, which happens a lot. After I completed the project (and ultimately died), since I'm already quite familiar from going to the spawn area to my main house, I decided to go exploring.

In the back of my advanced house (by the respawn) there's a stone wall (that I used to make the house). Since i'm bored (and tired of dieing to monsters) I do some background excavation, using some cylindrical pattern i created on the fly. Boom, Red Ore is found, and a buncha coal.

So i keep digging, i finally find the bottom of the map (indestructible bedrock). I'm already digging for an hour, so I keep digging at the bottom of the map, in a straight line. I get bored and i start to dig up (real smart). Nothing really bad happen, and I come out in a awesome frozen lake.

Now comes the nice part: I have NO FUCKING IDEA where I am, so I use a small little trick i learned: Make something, whatever, a Cross, a Square, whatever, on a frozen lake and it'll show up on the overhead map like a sore thumb:

map1-normal-day.png

A is my main house, B is my "house by the respawn point", C is the cross shape I drew to find out where the hell am I.

"Oh, i'm not far from home at all, guess I'll just head there". But oh wait, it's starting to get dark and i'm running out of Life and Torches. What's that back there? A cave by the lake?

So I get cozy waiting for the night to go by and, while exploring, I find this massive underground tunnel system, filled with Iron Ore all over the place (finally). What was supposed to be a place I'd stay for a while became the next 2 hour exploring fun.

Amongst Copper, Iron, Monsters and Underground Water rivers, I finally found something different: one small Gold vein, that yielded only 3 Gold.. things.

"Ok, that's it. I'll just dig the hell up from where I am and leave". Which i did, which went wonderfully, until I took a little detour to finish this last goal quicker and... nooooooooo, I fell to my death. Red Ore, Gold, Lots of Iron... all down the drain.

Since I know where shit is (thanks to Cartographer), I sprint back to the place I died (near the surface), manage to recover EVERYTHING I lost (except my Iron Breastplate), find three different water veins under the rock (which i had to follow, since my stuff fell into them and got dragged down), manage to come back up, tidy up the place as a third base, with actual ground so I don't fall every three steps and Iron and Coal (and monsters) easily accessible. FINALLY, it's time to go home, where I have my storage chest and everything is safe.

Indeed, this is an amazing game with endless possibilities. I'm really glad I bought it, but what I described was pretty much an ENTIRE DAY of gameplay.

I can't imagine what will happen when more stuff is added/multiplayer is a reality, but I'll take a break from it, because I didn't do anything today because of it. :lol

Carry on with this awesome game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom