• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
So is there an upper limit on how tall trees will grow left on their own? And how should I maximize tree growth? I want to just plant some and let it sit and come back hours later to a giant multi-tree just waiting for my treehouse of awesome.

Trees grow once and only once. How big they are is random. I've had some monsterous trees grow, but takes quite a few to finally get one. Best thing to do is start growing trees on trees if you want a huge tree.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
The_Technomancer said:
So is there an upper limit on how tall trees will grow left on their own? And how should I maximize tree growth? I want to just plant some and let it sit and come back hours later to a giant multi-tree just waiting for my treehouse of awesome.
Plant a sapling 1 block higher, 1 block away (maybe 2) next to a normal sized tree. Cut a hole through the leaves where the sapling is. This should force the tree to grow through the other tree because there is no space to grow at a normal size. When the trees grow that high they're forced to grow as a giant tree. This was my experience while creating the tree of knowledge in gafland.

Thanks for covering it in the tour, Awakened! :D It was inspired by One Piece and yes the swirl is my sign.

Oh and the cylinder tower and the huts next to the tree were made by brandtsk not drkirby.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
superbank said:
Plant a sapling 1 block higher, 1 block away (maybe 2) next to a normal sized tree. Cut a hole through the leaves where the sapling is. This should force the tree to grow through the other tree because there is no space to grow at a normal size. When a trees grow that high they're forced to grow as a giant tree. This was my experience while creating the tree of knowledge in gafland.

Thanks for covering it in the tour, Awakened! :D It was inspired by One Piece and yes the swirl is my sign.
Sweet. And then from there I'll climb the trees and plant dirt blocks in the leaves with saplings on them, and slowly shape my monstrosity.

ijed

Brazil said:
I think thoughts of greatness finally got to Notch's mind.

We're doomed.

Valve hosting servers wouldn't be bad ... could imagine a nice LBP style steam community growing out of this.

funkmastergeneral said:
I hope Activision isn't involved...
Manic Digger Hero confirmed!

This is my current fortress that iam building:

xlW1KJ6MIud4.jpg

UEgeqZwnGbzg.jpg

3xq8DXkyc16G.jpg

iX8u3eg4yVJi.jpg

work in progress ^^

Awakened

superbank said:
Oh and the cylinder tower and the huts next to the tree were made by brandtsk not drkirby.
Doh. I was worried I'd get ownership of something wrong :eek: I swear I read Dr. Kirby talking about making huts and stuff somewhere in the chat at some point.

Stitch

Gold Member
Seecret Friday 8! OooooOOOoo!

Both the game and the servers have been updated. Since servers don’t autoupdate yet, you need to download the latest version from the download page.

Unfortunately, the secret is NOT the inventory, but I did include the first version of something pretty big for SMP. You’ll know it when you see it.

I also fixed a pile of bugs for SMP like doors acting weird and torches attaching to the wrong walls.

You do not need to explore new terrain this time around.

mhhhhh

well my character is now punching things like doors and crates when i activate them oO

edit: haha after this update there was another one :D
alright so now you can make a fence

20t2rko.jpg

Razorskin

----- ------
ashbash159 said:
Are there any servers open at UK times? GAFLand isn't open until 6PM for me. :(

You'll just have to look around minecraft sites to find them. Though they'll most likely be public.

Anyone know what's the big thing he added to SMP yet?

So far it's

1.Fences
2.Drink milk

So now Oat's server has a week left till he closes it down.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I don't have time to experiment with fences myself, but I'm not sure I understand how to make a single post, based on the pics I've seen. Or is it just a post when you put one down, and if you set one next to it, it creates the fence in between the two?

Razorskin

----- ------
Bootaaay said:
Can't seem to figure out how to stack fence posts, nothing happens when I go to place one on top of another.

You're not suppose to, but you can place a sand block on top of a fence then place a fence on the sand block, then break the sand block and the fence will fall on top of the other.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Razorskin said:
You're not suppose to, but you can place a sand block on top of a fence then place a fence on the sand block, then break the sand block and the fence will fall on top of the other.

Wait what? Fences aren't affected by gravity.

Razorskin

----- ------
Cindres said:
Wait what? Fences aren't affected by gravity.

Wait I misunderstood what I read, nvm.

SA said:
Build up sand to the maximum height you want your fence.
Put your fencing up on top of the sand.
Drop down one level and remove sand.
Build fence directly underneath the current fence!

EDIT: Can't connect to GAF server, says outdated client.

Blizzard

Banned
Fences look pretty sweet! Hopefully Notch leaves the stacking possibility in there (maybe allowing torches on top) since that should allow for some neat pillar effects in buildings etc.

For the person who said that you can't die from falling now, do you just mean that pigs/chickens can't die from falling?

Travado

So, I was digging in search of some coal in a mine underneath my house and I heard noises.

Lots of spiders, creepers, zombies and skeletons. I reached the area they were located, killed several of them through a single hole in the wall (I was scared :lol ), but they kept doing respawn in a dark place in the background.

I cannot go to where they are doing respawn, I'm not prepared with armor and food, if I kill a group of enemies, another group appears immediately.

I found a dungeon?

Inkwell

Banned
Travado said:
So, I was digging in search of some coal in a mine underneath my house and I heard noises.

Lots of spiders, creepers, zombies and skeletons. I reached the area they were located, killed several of them through a single hole in the wall (I was scared :lol ), but they kept doing respawn in a dark place in the background.

I cannot go to where they are doing respawn, I'm not prepared with armor and food, if I kill a group of enemies, another group appears immediately.

I found a dungeon?
That's possible, but there are some areas that just happen to be full of monsters. I guess there's only one way to find out if it is though...

GDJustin

Travado said:

I found a dungeon?

It's unlikely to be a dungeon because they only spawn one type of enemy at a time. Some dark caves are just full of mobs. I was exploring a cave and kept killing creepers, zombies, and more. Rounded a corner, and the cave was just a dead-end. They had come from nowhere.

One tip: The mobs that are spawned are random. So if a cave is full of creepers, skeles, or other "tougher" mobs, you can leave the area and come back, or exit and reopen the game, and the cave might then be filled with zombies, slimes, or something easier.

Travado

GDJustin said:
It's unlikely to be a dungeon because they only spawn one type of enemy at a time. Some dark caves are just full of mobs. I was exploring a cave and kept killing creepers, zombies, and more. Rounded a corner, and the cave was just a dead-end. They had come from nowhere.

One tip: The mobs that are spawned are random. So if a cave is full of creepers, skeles, or other "tougher" mobs, you can leave the area and come back, or exit and reopen the game, and the cave might then be filled with zombies, slimes, or something easier.

Thats some interesting news for me that dungeons only have one type of enemy, thanks for the information.

In my cave, there is a respawn of creepers, spiders, squeletons and zombies, so its not a dungeon, they respawn in a group of 3 apparently (2 esqueletons, 1 creeper or 2 spiders, 1 zombie, 2 zombies, 1 creeper etc.). The respawn looks infinite if I stay in my place , I killed more than 30 enemies already and there is more coming, I need courage to go there and break the respawn I think. :lol

GDJustin

Travado said:
Thats some interesting news for me that dungeons only have one type of enemy, thanks for the information.

In my cave, there is a respawn of creepers, spiders, squeletons and zombies, so its not a dungeon, they respawn in a group of 3 apparently (2 esqueletons, 1 creeper or 2 spiders, 1 zombie, 2 zombies, 1 creeper etc.). The respawn looks infinite if I stay in my place , I killed more than 30 enemies already and there is more coming, I need courage to go there and break the respawn I think. :lol

They can only spawn in unlit areas. So push forward a little and place a torch. You can slowly push forward, lighting the area as you go.

Blizzard said:
For the person who said that you can't die from falling now, do you just mean that pigs/chickens can't die from falling?
I jumped in my server to check out the new features and fell of my mountain. Normally I would have been dead. I was alive without any heart-loss. Tried it again on purpose and again no harm.

@Travado: leave this area alone and you have a steady source of this creeper material.

Vinci

Danish
There are fences now? =) Yes!

Also, here's some shots of a pet project I'm working on - a geek gift to my wife for our upcoming anniversary...

jhsbad.png
1zmz4ao.png

28hd2zo.png
2tmj7.png

wgx0l0.png
23a4g4.png

302uhk8.png

Yes, it's a huge friggin' diamond. Still, obviously, a work in progress... but then, I've still a while before the big day.

Sciz

To facilitate additional GAFland construction by the people who actually build things:

5tswav.jpg

1si6u1.jpg

Enough wood for ~1600 fence posts. Have fun. I expect screenshots.

Reno7728

Gaf i have a slightly major problem: while mining in some unexplored mines near, but not connected to my home base/mining system i have fallen down what i presume is some kind of shaft into and area with 0 light. I was heading back so have no torches and cannot see anything (i can hear sounds.) Is there nay way of changing the colours into a sort of 'nightvison' mode, or will i have to respawn (unsure as to how) and lose everything i had collected?

Travado

Caesar III said:
@Travado: leave this area alone and you have a steady source of this creeper material.

free-MrBurnsExcellent.gif

Got 1 Record (LP) already and plenty of others itens drops from enemies. :D

I will make this cave a tourist attraction in my world, need more glasses now to make the local visible for those who are outside.

So after building my mac, the first thing I did of course was play some minecraft. Judging by some of the screenshots on this page, the graphical glitches is the mac version are normal? (clouds, etc)

Vinci

Danish
Reno7728 said:
Gaf i have a slightly major problem: while mining in some unexplored mines near, but not connected to my home base/mining system i have fallen down what i presume is some kind of shaft into and area with 0 light. I was heading back so have no torches and cannot see anything (i can hear sounds.) Is there nay way of changing the colours into a sort of 'nightvison' mode, or will i have to respawn (unsure as to how) and lose everything i had collected?

Just carefully start digging at an upward angle, creating stairs as you do so in order to facilitate your escape. You'll hit the surface / lava / mobs eventually. Best of luck to you.

Blizzard

Banned
Caesar III said:
I jumped in my server to check out the new features and fell of my mountain. Normally I would have been dead. I was alive without any heart-loss. Tried it again on purpose and again no harm.
Hmm, interesting. SMP only presumably? That's like creative mode behaves, but I imagine it was an accident.

*edit* Skeleton archers can RIDE SPIDERS now? I'm terrified. D:

Inkwell

Banned
Blizzard said:
Hmm, interesting. SMP only presumably? That's like creative mode behaves, but I imagine it was an accident.

*edit* Skeleton archers can RIDE SPIDERS now? I'm terrified. D:
Ummm... What?

If true that is damn terrifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom